Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,782 ✭✭✭✭banie01

On the wrist for the past couple of days and it caught quite of sun today. Love the way the lume pops on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭dinorebel

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭jefferson73

I was in Dublin yesterday and tried on some watches as looking to add a new one.

The shops off Grafton street are a really nice addition to the city and found the staff really friendly.

Suprisingly in terms of watches i really liked this Bretling Duograph amongst others.

Photo does not do it justice, in person very nice and comfortable fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

I hadn't intended to, but this came up from a very reputable source at the right price.

It's a late era ('94-95') Sturmanskie 3133 'Classic Case'.

It has the alloy balance wheel and refined date change function.

I've had 3133s before and liked them, and this one is just back from J Kampman after a service and some minor repairs.

This was Poljot's major effort to make a commercial success of its air force heritage. In line with the fashions of the late 80s and early 90s, it has a 38mm, chrome plated case, but retains all the other features of the military issued version, in terms of hands, dial, movement, water resistance, etc. The case became known as the 'classic case', as it went on to be used, in many variations, in various models across the range. It was introduced in the late Soviet era, and used right through to Poljot's demise in the 2000s.

The alloy balance wheel was actually marketed as a fallout resistant feature, and was also more temperature tolerant for greater accuracy than the brass variant.

The serial number is in the 44xxx range, which, with the other features, puts it somewhere around 1994-1995.

I like it a lot more than I thought, as I'd always lusted after either a Strela, or a real air force-issued Sturmanskie.

Both of those are increasingly rare and plagued by 'franken' assembleys of various parts.

For now, this tickles the fancy and sits nicely on an 18mm dark leather band.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Fitz II

If you serious about that watch I know where you can get one second hand well below retail

• Advertisement

Limerick junction, a barren, desolate wasteland! Where one can only hope their path to escape is on time!

On the wrist, Sinn U2SDR

• Registered Users Posts: 33,637 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Sinns are class.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Some may remember a few weeks ago where I stuck my 60's Heuer on a scale where it came back as 80 grams with bracelet. This is apparently fierce light, too light, so the suggestions were the scale must have been on the blink. Tbh I've no real idea about weights of watches as it never occurred to me. This particular watch does feel light on the wrist, but all of my watches do. So today when I was out and about I came across another scale(the chap uses it for checking weights of postal packages before he sends them off) and thought let's try this again.

80 G's again. So unless it's a mahoosive coincidence or I'm my own gravity well 😁 it looks like it's 80 grams in weight.

EDIT* the 60's Made in West Germany "Expandro." bracelet on its own is mad light. I did notice that alright when I first got it. It's hollow, made of folded sheet steel with spring steel to make it expanding. Though it seems to wear use well enough. They're unicorn poo to find now in that size in plain brushed steel.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Something lighter for the day.

Have something similar already, not exactly the same, yours is beautiful.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I'm awful at taking photos of watches but as mentioned on the chat thread, I dipped into my Tudor saving fund and bought my first new watch since 2019 I reckon.

Pics don't do it justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭VW 1

That's really lovely. I have a similar black and orange strap and it works really well, little bit of pop but not at all flashy or garish.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Sinn U50 at the top of Ticknock looking out on Dublin bay

With regard to and in relation to location wise, Lucca, Italy.l 🥸

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Hi folks,

I'm nowhere near the scale or ambition of regulars here but I am getting a grá for watches over the last couple of years

Here's my few so far, no sniggering down the back!

Here's my new Casio LF-20W

My Luminox Sea Turtle,

A Casio MTP-1370, a Japan only release, with a very nice Day/Date display. I ditched the original awful metal for a decent leather strap and it is nice to wear.

A tidy Seiko Sports quartz watch, from the Seiko Premier range, quite heavy and can take a beating!

My Tissot PRC200, it came with a poorly fitting leather strap that had been cut up, so I bought a decent black leather strap and swapped over the Tissot branded metal work to it, it's one of my favourites

And lastly, I only got this on Wednesday, my Orient Mako, which is fantastic. The bezel wasn't going anywhere so I popped it off and gave it a wipe down and it's a little better now, might put a few drops of mineral oil on it to free it up a little more.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I've a couple of G-Shocks as well

Not typically worn at the same time!

And a few Pebbles, the only smart watches worth owning

A Pebble Time and a Pebble 2 HR

Lovin the Tissot, great taste Sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

Watch box picked up on Prime day. Using extra slots for cufflinks, pocket squares, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

For every big shot who has a rolex, there is someone with a Harry Winston opus or a Jacob & Co astronomia, worrying about whether you've got "real" watches is a waste of energy. Buy things you like and enjoy them. My wife bought me my dream watch last year and I'll rarely take it off, but one of my favourite watches is a square Henley with a rectangular cutout for the face, which I picked up while queuing at the till in argos for 25 quid.

Your casio reminds me of the first watch I was really excited to have, with the "analogue" face, I thought that was the cleverest thing I'd ever seen and I couldn't believe someone had made a watch in the 80s do that. Your casio day date looks very elegant, I'd wear that out anywhere. I also really like the dish face on the tissot and although it's a much busier dial than I normally go for, I think it's much better proportioned than a lot of others. Conversely, I'd run a mile from that seiko!

The Seiko was left to me, it's a chunk of metal and the styling is... idiosyncratic for sure.

But it's compact and is nice with short sleeves in the summer

• Advertisement

I like your Seiko, built like a tank. Wear well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Some fine tuning done on my ti-turtle-dark-manta-ray creation lately:)

Changed day/date discs to black and regulated it for the second time. It's bang on each morn now.

Being the weather's dark, wet and the fact I went for a dip with it on today it's quite a fitting wear. Pathetic fallacy or wa!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,323 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I'm totally with you but a Jacob&Co Astronimia?

Astronomical prices for watches that look like you won them in a claw game in an arcade. I despise all their gimmicky crap. Gimme a complicated Patek over that sh!te any day

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

They're gimmicky and ridiculous, but as pieces of jewellery I can't deny the craftsmanship. They're like fabarge eggs more than watches.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,323 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

It's all relative, automatic watches are a gimmick to most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,986 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Nice to see you outside the A&R forum, didn't know you were into watches!

Love to see some Casio love, that MTP 1370 is gorgeous.

My first ever 'proper' watch when I was a kid that got me into watches was a Casio Diver MTD 10-10 that my grandparents bought me when I turned 16.

Sadly lost to time, have a feeling it's still probably somewhere in my parents house buried in the back of a cupboard!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭H_Lime

In for a dip

Off to see Mission Impossible.

• Advertisement

On the wrist for the past couple of days and one that always seems to garner a question or 2.

Advertisement