Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scam calls

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭Glaceon

That's what seems to be happening alright, they spoof the incoming number.

Previously I was of the impression (as was the consensus on here) that the numbers were all randomly generated. This was until I realised that my wife never gets these calls. So now I believe it's from the numerous data breaches over the last couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭KevMayo88

Whenever I get one of these Indian call-centre scammers, I call the person a name that is particularly offensive in India.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭BlueEyeGleams

How do you know they’re not Pakistani? No time for name calling I usually just call their bluff and leave it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,286 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'm getting at least a call a day from these parasites.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭BlueEyeGleams

They’d yet further darken an already dull day. Haven’t had any by night mysteriously enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,329 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

got a call from an 021 number yesterday, searched for the number and found this...

😁

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,894 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Any I've gotten are automated ones that I just hang up on (if I answer at all)

Legitimate companies calling though and then wanting me to verify all my info is a bigger issue. They get very confused/annoyed when I tell them that THEY called ME and so they need to verify the legitimacy of the call. Too used to people just giving them whatever info they want I suppose - no wonder people get scammed.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭mossie11

I get these calls regularly, but they go straight to my Voicemail. Is there any way of blocking these calls?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,073 ✭✭✭Cordell

Depending of the phone you can use a spam and scam detection feature or even block all numbers not in your contacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Will_I_Amnt

Anyone been a victim of "Phone spoofing"? The story is this. My phone keeps making an outgoing dialing tone. It's happening more and more frequently. I am not calling anyone, nothing is appearing in my call logs. The dial tone happens 3 times, every time and then cuts out. So it appears my phone number is being spoofed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,329 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Spoofing your number would have nothing to do with your handset. They are just faking the caller ID and can put whatever they want on it, there is really no security on caller ID at all.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,290 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

In the last two weeks I've received one spam call. But I've received 4 calls from people asking why I rang them.

Anyone who's also receiving these calls want to turn it into a game? Ask the caller what county they're from. In a month we see who's collected the most counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

Getting alot of calls lately and it's getting ridiculous. From financial intelligence agency.

I try have some fun with them and they say they have to open my file to help me. But I tell them that my file must be open for them to call me! I go on for a few minutes like this before calling them names. Had one of them tell me to watch my language and I shouldn't be calling people names. Then I told them that they are scamming people which they shouldn't be doing. Had one of them calling me names after I called them names.

Had another one of them tell me I'm a criminal. I asked them why they were calling instead of having the police at my door if I was a criminal. They hung up.

Another one telling me that there will be serious consequences and my ppsn will be blocked.

Seriously, there's always something. It's these calls or text messages from the eflow or an post.

How are they working so hard on my number?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭mossie11

Got a few phone calls lately telling me they had a missed call from my number, one person sounded Irish while another sounded non-irish.

My query is: where is the possible scam in this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,810 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Your number was spoofed by a scammer to make their call perhaps. Make it look like a call from a real number so target more likely to answer.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Yes, they didn't use your number, they used a random number that happened to be the same as yours. They are calling with spoofed Irish numbers and in some cases those numbers will match actual numbers that are currently in use.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

Not much good to people like me who run their own business and have to answer phone numbers not in my contact list.

This racket has gone beyond a f**king joke now. I get on average about 10 of these things a day. This is not a "scam". It is literally financial terrorism dictated towards the west. And the western authorities should treat it as such, find out where these call centres are (they know where they are anyway) and have one of their highly active global drones fire a rocket into the kip.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

With so many scam calls and texts its easy to ignore the genuine ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,286 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Generally they are looking for someone to download an app from either the Play Store on their phone or a screen sharing app on a computer so that they can swindle money from the persons bank account. Normally they say they are from Eir or the fraud dept of a bank and require access to the device to resolve a made up problem. They probably have a success rate of 0.1% but if that gets them €20k that's all they need of a weeks work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Am I right in saying that Android will filter nuisance texts to spam but iPhone will not?

• Advertisement

I would say that even on Android it's not guaranteed to work or to be enabled, depending on the phone and what application it uses for text messages. On my phone the Google's Messages app detects 100% of spam and scam texts, but it does it after the text is received and it needs connectivity to Google servers to analyze the text. I still get the notification sound but it's a bit chocked / cut short and I can still review the text if I want to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,409 ✭✭✭ofcork

My android detects scam texts had 5 calls this week from an 01 number phone identified it as spam so didnt answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Got a call from a Canadian number just there, offering me crypto investments. They knew me by name, which I found uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Bellview

i've starting getting tests with 'Hi Anna'... I'm not Anna but you can see where the scams are trying to figure names in hope of tricking a reply

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭beachhead

I get occasional texts from B of I asking Elaine to complete a survey.Prob a genuine misdial by the bank

Never got that kind, it may be something else in your case, what I get are typical scam texts pretending to be from Anpost DHL and others with links for paying various tax and custom duty - these are very easy to fall for since DHL actually can charge you VAT or custom duty for non EU purchases, eflow with threats of fines, and so on, but nothing that personal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,290 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I did get one last week saying "Hi Mom" :)

It was of course asking for money to replace a stolen iPhone.

Advertisement