Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

the link is in the thread, please don't make any more phone calls telling them anything

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭con747

If you go on a smart plan you are stuck on smart plans going forward when you try to change provider. The Flogas is the best offer apart from the variable rates offer Waterpower are offering. ONLY sign up to Flogas online, do NOT ring with a load of questions or you will be told you can't get the offer.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭bren2001

Why in God's name didn't you at the very least do some research and say you worked for BWG? Everyone knows it's for BWG staff only but they don't check if you sign up online.

Why did you think people refered to it as the BWG deal???

Im already signed up but Jesus Christ some people have no cop on and just ruin things for other people.

might be an idea if someone could compile a post with all the links to the various flogas deal day/night and smart or dual fuel and then report the post so it gets pinned and it can be edited at a later date if need be, that is how the netflix thread was cleaned up and it saves the repetition of questions

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭1373

If a different provider announced a 30 to 40% discount like they used to , I'd reckon waterpower would suffer a huge clearout , but until then their offer is OK . I'll be receiving my first waterpower bill for June next month. Disappointed to see a 2 cent rise from May

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Escapees

Not sure the backlash against the poor, but honest, poster who rang Flogas about the BWG offer is really warranted or justified... It was never going to last anyway and fair is fair if it's only intended for BWG staff in the first place...

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭tx_tx

Do people in this thread actually believe that Flogas is doing BWG staff a favour? That they're somehow losing money on that deal? And then that it would be a problem for them if they attracted more customers than expected?

Before you burn the witch for "spoiling" that deal (any proof of this?), remember it was and still is available to everyone, whether you call it BWG or community, it's the same offer.

And unless indicated as such in the T&Cs, a deal named BWG isn't reserved to their staff, regardless of what badly informed agents might say over the phone.

Not sure anyone was burning witches, a couple of posters were frustrated because people just don't seem to bother reading a couple of pages back on the thread where all the information anyone needs is there. It has been stated countless times not to ring about these offers but to apply online. Even the amount of posters asking what BWG is shows nobody will look back or google it!

I don't know the legalities about the offers whether once you apply or ask for it are you entitled to be offered the same offer as the target base. I do know though that the more people ringing asking questions about the offers raises a red flag with c/s so if people just read back it saves having to keep trying to find the new offers with a new name if that is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Pekarirska

😂. Maybe sticky that.

Post edited by con747 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Herewegoagain23

I applied online for the bwg gas only rate as I have a smart metre so couldn't sign up online for the electricty. This was on the 20th of June so I thought I would have gotten it. Only realised on bill that I didn't get the rate. With the sign up email I couldn't tell what plan or unit rates I was on. Naturally I have to ring them now as I wouldn't have signed up knowing the rate I was going to be put taking into consideration its going to be fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Bart34

Is that Flogas community offer still available for rural day 33.38 c/unit & 14.75 c/ unit night incl vat?

If so do I ring them or sign up online?

i was trying to find the urban rates for smart meter for someone but it is not easy searching the thread with all the chat, having pinned posts would be ideal but we would need a moderator to sort that for us

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

it is very easy if you are a regular visitor here to assume this knowledge is clearly stated just a couple of pages ago. I read several pages back trying to find what BWG was and all references were self referential with no explanation as to what it was or who it was for and it just got frustrating. Boards search is broken so I googled it and found BWG Foods but didn't understand how that would be relevant to an energy plan. I STILL don't know who the "community plan" is for. It was stated it was a renamed BWG Foods plan but does this mean it is still somehow limited to BWG Foods employees as it no longer references them? I am deliberately saying BWG Foods here because that one word addition would have made it so much easier to understand what "BWG" meant in context.

By nature this will be a topic that will always have people arrive looking at the last couple of pages and trying to figure out the best deal. If people don't want their free slightly cheaper ride ruined by people calling up Flogas (and you're probably all over estimating how efficient feedback from the front line support is at getting anything changed in marketing) the easiest thing to do is to just answer the same questions over and over I'm afraid.

To keep the information flowing (and feel free to correct any of this):

The BWG Foods Tariff, apparently for BWG Foods Employees, is not available to be signed up to anymore.

There's a similar or same Tariff available under the name "community plan" which is discoverable via Google so there are no restrictions in the Public getting this information currently.

https://www.flogas.ie/flogas-community-plan-electricity-fixed-1-yr.html Electricity community plan.

https://www.flogas.ie/dual-fuel/flogas-community-plan-fixed-dual-fuel-1-yr.html Dual fuel community plan

I can't find a link to the gas one. The one marked in google goes straight into a gas sign up process without listing the tariff.

Is this "community plan" meant for some subset of people? Unclear to me at this time. If you're switching from someone else there doesn't appear to be a downside to signing up for these tariffs over the regular ones online and many have with no issue but this comes with no guarantee.

Can you sign up for this plan if you signed up for another tariff with Flogas? Unclear but it seems like calling them might have them deny existence of these plans. I'd really like to know this personally because this is where I am at the moment.. signed up to a regular tariff but still in a cooling off period. If I felt I could get the other one by calling up and being nice or otherwise I would but I haven't because I want to figure the best chance of success. If that is saying "oh I work at Spar and I discovered that I could have gotten this can I be switched please?" I'll do that but I am still trying to get that answer who the community tariff is meant for. I'd appreciate if someone who knows could tell me.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭zell12

If you're going to call a company, make sure you know what BWG is and what the deal is. It really isn't hard.

Nobody can tell you what to do, its a weird situation. If I was you, I'd cancel the switch, wait a few days and try and sign up through the link. Worst case, you're told no and can sign up on what you were moving to anyway. The alternative is to call them and ask them to switch you to the Community Plan (but nobody appears to know why or for who this plan exists).

It is very clear who this offer is for. It has no offer-specific T&Cs. If it had, you'd see them from the page. So, the same T&Cs as all their other plans apply, and it's available to the same group of people, that is everyone.

The same for the former BWG and Aryzta offers. A name has never been an implied contractual limiting clause. If Flogas wanted to limit these offers, they'd have specific T&Cs.

Here, they've decided to have certain companies actively promote an offer to their employees as a perk. That's a good marketing tactic that benefits both companies. And they're also quite happy for the deal to be shared by these employees to their friends and family, and get more customers. That's what the lack of restrictive T&Cs tells you.

And if that wasn't clear enough to some, when the BWG link circulated online - on boards but also other forums - they reacted to it by creating a duplicate offer called "Community", to make it clear that they don't intend to turn any customer down.

The only people that they don't want signing up to this offer are the ones who are prepared to sign up to their more expensive "regular" offer from their homepage. That's selling the same service at 2 different prices, based on your willingness to pay (also called price discrimination). They need this offer to be noticed only by the price-sensitive customers who will spend time online searching for deals.

Now, if you read back a few pages (more than a couple, unfortunately, as this thread is full of posts from people not reading and asking the same question for the hundredth time), you'll see that a few posters who were existing Flogas customers could get moved to the offers just by asking. Some had to pay an exit fee from their current Flogas plan, but since you're in the cooling off period, you should be fine.

Post edited by tx_tx on

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

People can be two ends of the spectrum on Boards.ie

It used to be years ago that fellow posters would try to be helpful and answer questions/provide links to information, however recently, that's changed to a meaner more confrontational attitude from a lot of posters

The post you were responding to did genuinely try to find the information first but it's difficult to find

If you know the answer, you could just answer the question instead of being so bloody minded

I had to go back months, and dozens of pages into the history of this thread to find out what the actual rates for the BWG deal were, and remember, there are 3 different packages depending on if it's electricity, gas or Dual fuel

I had to go all the way back to April to find the original mention of BWG with the original signup link

https://www.flogas.ie/exclusive-06-23/dual-fuel/exclusive-dual-06-23.html (currently down)

It appears to refer to the rates below (for dual fuel)

And these seem to currently match the Community tariff for Dual Fuel

So I think all references to BWG can be kinda ignored now that the same deal is available as the community fixed plan tariff and available to everyone

It is significantly cheaper than most of the other suppliers offerings so unless you think suppliers will further drop their prices between now and winter, then it's worth looking at this offer and fixing your costs for the next 12 months

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

Folks I rang yesterday to find out why my signup was not taken, that was all. Not once did I say anything about boards. I am sure someone from flogas saw this offer being mentioned on boards, it is not like boards are private from the public.

The poster had signed up with SSE then the very next day signed up with FloGas. Their transfer was (obviously) cancelled. They called FloGas. Highlighted the BWG deal and appeared surprised it was only for staff.

I've answered many peoples queries. The OP had the links already, should have known enough, and then decided to call and highlight it to FloGas. Seriously, have some cop on.

This thread is very helpful to people. It's saved me and my family (Mum and Dad) quite some cash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

The thread would be a lot better if some people stopped bitching.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

First flogas bill in, signed up on June 14th and whilst I think it's mid-cycle bill I'm very happy with the changes, down from 590 with energia to 80 with flogas (in reality it's probably more like 220-240 as the bill is only for 24 days as opposed to usual). And yeah the energia bill is winter months so not exact comparison but still nice.

Nice to finally confirm the correct rate of 29c from the BWG without ringing up and ratting on everyone :P

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Herewegoagain23

So I rang Flogas today and said I noticed the rates on my first bill of two weeks didn't have the correct rates that I signed up to. A quick check on the phone confirmed that was the case and it would be changed to the rates of the bwg plan. No questions asked I live to see another day.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 connaugg

Anyone having difficulty finding information in a long thread such as this should try this “trick” to search any site with or without its own search box.

Use the “site:” operator in a Google search query to search the contents of any site, whether or not it has a search box of its own. For example, try putting this in a Google search query:

site:https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058235650/ community

You asked in post #3427 what BWG was and a member quoted your post with the answer, post #3429 so I'm not sure how you couldn't find it in the previous page.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭SwissToni

I rang Flogas today and asked if they could tell me what Fight Club was.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Lads please keep it on topic and stop the bitching.

FYI (from a simple Google search).

And for Dual Fuel...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

Had a guy from SSE Electricity call to the door today. Apparently, they are launching new plans very soon including one with a night unit rate of around 10.5c. Was also offering €150 bill credit to compensate for breaking contracts with current provider.

Needless to say, without written confirmation of unit rates I didn't sign up to anything. But something to keep an eye on...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭John arse

That sounds interesting,fair play- now that's what this thread is for!

• Advertisement

That would mean they're making zero margin on night electricity, maybe even selling at a loss.

10.5c/kWh ex-VAT is approximately what you pay on the wholesale market at the moment. Pass-through charges are 0.627c/unit during the night when you're on a Nightsaver rate, so that doesn't push their cost too much, but still.

That would mean they're able to make a sufficient margin on day electricity + standing charges alone. I'm not saying that's impossible, but very aggressive if this turns out to be true.

(Pass-through charges are 4.933c/unit during the day on a Nightsaver rate. And wholesale prices are about the same. So their margin would be anything above 16c/unit.)

Advertisement