Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Renewables Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,232 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Yeah I'm in Swords and we'd typically have 1-2 unscheduled power cuts during the year. Only a few hours each thankfully

Last one was a few weeks back and we got to try out the battery. Ran extension leads and plugged in the fridge and internet router, laptops had enough battery to keep going but we could work in the kitchen if we fell short

I've got the 10kWh battery set to charge to 40% overnight just to ensure there's some useable energy in the morning, it came in handy that morning

Now I need to work on the unofficial fireman switch override to be able to get power from the panels in the event of an outage

I was speaking to the installer about doing it within regs, but the changeover switch needs to be within 2 metres of the front door, and my CU is way further than that

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,276 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Thats interesting as my CU is about 50cm from the front door, and I'd never before even considered a changeover switch... but it certainly would be handy if the panels were keeping the battery topped up while the power is off... though I just checked again and I'm using 4% per hour... so as long as I know the power is going off I can plan for it, but even when I got caught out a few weeks ago the battery was only at about 35%, but still it was enough to power the modem and her office for a few hours until power was restored.. I just worked off the laptop battery.

• 9:20am - 81%
    • 10:27am - 76%
    • 11:01am - 74%
    • 11:27am - 72%
    • 12:27pm - 68%

So just over 3 hours have consumed 13% (of a 5kWh battery)...

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭idc

Also in swords too and have similarly experienced a 2-3 power cuts a year since my install. Glad I got changeover switch but the biggest issue and its nothing to do with Solar is broadband! As its probably going through some distribution cabinet somewhere else in the estate which also has no power we don't have any broadband or tv!!

I have fibre broadband and it's always worked fine in any power cut as long as it's been plugged into the battery! Now maybe my local cabinet is an an area that's unaffected by the power cuts I experience, but so far so good!!

I believe cellular masts have a back up power supply that lasts about 2-3 hours, so at least you could hotspot for a short time anyway?

So what I was told is that they can put a manual changeover switch which will swap the grid supply of your CU to the backup power from the inverter

There's a particular way it needs to be done, I think the changeover switch has to be after the main MCB in the CU, and before all the stuff you want to run. Otherwise you need a new meter tail which is a whole other job

It has to isolate the netral as well, which is what was my downfall. I was going to put the changeover switch in the meter cabinet where the existing switch is, but only the live runs through that switch so it wouldn't work, I'd need a new meter tail AFAIK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭allinthehead

Be sure there's a neutral earth bond in the inverter for your eps supply. If not the main neutral should not be switched via the changeover switch.

☀️

The installer told me the neutral need to be switched as well, I'm hoping they'd know their own hardware

But I'll ask the question anyway, always interesting to see if they answer with "ehhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Most electricians blindly switch the neutral without giving any thought to the generator. In a tncs system in Ireland there can be only one point at which the earth and neutral are bonded together. This is at the esb meter. If you switch the neutral then you lose that bond so the generator/inverter must have one.

Well worth asking the question and keep in mind about 60% of pv installations in the Uk are non compliant with the regs. I would suppose the percentage is even higher here, so I wouldn't assume they know what they're doing.

☀️

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Thanks for the good explanation.

I dare say it's similar in other countries, I've seen videos on US installs and it's explained in a similar manner, there should be only one point where the earth/ground or multiple paths to earth can occur in a fault.

Yes, probably safer having multiple points than no bond at all though.

☀️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,901 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Just off the phone with a company interested in the next stage of my journey to fully off grid. When the chap both a) used kilowatt and kilowatt hour correctly and b) suggested a victron quattro as the best new main hub of my system, I was inspired!

Will be installing a new ground mounted array facing due south, as a carport (ie off ground enough for cars to park under. - if you saw my photo of the funky cat that's the area where it will be) with as much array as I can get away with. Will be turning the existing solis hybrid into a string inverter, and getting a 15000VA quattro as the main control hub. That way everything goes through the quattro, no need for changeover switches etc.

I know they get a bad rap on forums sometimes because they are expensive - and they are - but you know what, they work and offer great plug and play functionality. The app is live, not a 5 minute snapshot like solis. It isnt going to consume grid energy to balance, as it will only be connected to the grid if excess power is needed, and also I can connect my generator at the same time as the grid, since the quattro can switch between the two.

This upgrade will likely put me to 16kWp of panels. I have another set of panels, approx 6kWp - on order to pair with a 5kW string inverter - ordered Jinko panels and some mounts on Ali Express. Am also waiting on approx 35kWh of additional storage, giving me around 52kWh or so total usable LFP storage, coupled with 120kWh of EVs on site and some lead acid UPS (which I've since moved out of the office and wired them in instead - thanks @unkel for the safety tip!)

Big year of improvements here. Solar and renewables is an addictive game, and I am still aiming towards that north star goal of mine, which is the removal of the ESBN connection altogether, regardless of cost.

The changes outlined above will bring me from 8.2kWparray /6kVa inverter/18kWh usable storage to approx 21kWp array/ 15kVa main inverter with 6kva and 5kva string inverters/52kWh storage. Not bad for year2.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,317 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Requirements for going off grid in Ireland:

1. need large roofs for PV and / or land for PV ground mounts - tick
    2. need lots and lots of PV - tick
    3. need genny and / or wind turbine - tick
    4. need massive battery - tick
    5. need big budget for other also very expensive hardware - tick
    6. need awareness that going off grid is going to cost a lot more than staying on grid - tick

Following your journey with interest, will help out where I can. I'm sure most of the other enthusiasts on the forum are the same 😁

Cheers. Yes it's a good goal to have and yes it is not going to be cost efficient, you can get 80% off grid pretty easily but the remaining 20% will be difficult . Its a mix of hobby and finance though. Like have a new bathroom ordered, no one asks for return on investment there for instance! Or spending money on a continental holiday - we're taking the tesla to france - no one asks for return on investment for that. At least with solar and storage theres an interest and a payback.

I also won't be going for an NC7, apparently theres a different way to go about supplementing your NC6 when you have software limited export to 25A. With the quattro installed I will aim to export zero. Not one unit.

Not exporting is near impossible with a big setup on a run of a few very sunny days even if you have a very large battery and several EVs and a thermal dump like a large hot water cylinder. Unless you "waste" electricity by running resistive heaters or the likes of crypto mining rigs 😁

I'll also be watching with interest, I'm hoping to do a significant upgrade to my system in a few years to go as close to grid independent as I feasibly can

I'm also fan of the Victron gear, they're pricey but if you look at any off grid setup it usually has a Quattro or a Multiplus at the centre of it

The Multiplus II is certified for the Irish grid settings AFAIK, but the Quattro II was having some issues so got delayed

There's a way around it by using a seperate anti islanding board if needed, it's just more work needed to program it and certify it

Same for the export limiting, it's all doable but it's more work for the installer and has a higher level of scrutiny, so they tend to just say it can't be done

One of my favourite things about Victron is the community. I'd definitely recommend heading over to their community page and taking a look, usually there's several people who have answers to any questions you have. It's a lot like here but with a global user base

I like how open they are as well with the software. For example there's full guides on Nose Red integration if you want to do some home automation. I think there's even a Docker image of their VRM server you can run in the likes of AWS or locally, so you can have remote monitoring without sending data to a 3rd party server

Large battery - check

Several evs - check

large hot water cylinder - check (we have 2!)

But what I like about the victron is the way it;s integrated. Solis (and many other hybrid inverters) work in paralel with the grid, whereas victron operate as a hub and a barrier between the house and the grid unless its needed. I have a grid isolator switch which I will be using a lot I'd say. Grid off unless needed.

Did your installer say how they're going to install the grid isolation?

The 1st Gen Quattro needs an extra isolation switch which needs to be programmed with the Irish settings like the one below

The newer generation should be able to handle the Irish grid settings but Victron were having some issues with the larger Multiplus II inverters, so they only got certified recently

They haven't released the larger Quattro IIs yet, max available is 5kVA. So if you need more you either need to parallel a bunch of Quattro IIs or go with the Gen 1 Quattro

Would you not leave it on and export? (It might make doing excess diversions easier, eddis/smart switchs/zappis etc)

But your building your own "micro grid" really where the quattro is the boss and only that is connected to the grid in that aspect.

Wish you all the best, and will help where I can on the automation end. Your likely to need home assistant or something to heat them tanks.

From experience if there is any heat demand from the house, the tanks can take any power you throw at it! 😂

Spotted this mobile solar charger in the local town in Lithuania… I know we have the benches with phone charging and Solar together, but these are a lot more mobile and could be deployed when and where needed like at festivals and outdoor shows etc….

they also provide free Wi-Fi.

The photos are rotated because of reasons…. I tried turning them 90 degrees in my photo album and they are somehow still uploading sideways because of reasons I am yet to understand!!!

Lithuania: We were worried they'd get stolen but a few concrete blocks underneath stopped that

Dublin knackers: Hold me drink, bud

😉

• Advertisement

I'm guessing Elm will be using the Quattro in ESS config (you can probably tell I've been doing some research 😂)

It's pretty similar to the grid tied system like a Solis or Sofar. It'll do whatever it can to keep the input on AC2-im (the grid input) to 0W, including exporting when possible (zero export is possible AFAIK)

If it detects a grid failure it switches to off-grid mode, so isolates AC2-in and will kill anything on AC2-out which is the non critical output

First winter of a DIY install in Wales, smart guy, runs openenergymonitor.

end terrace house, calculated heat loss of 3.3kw (he did do a blower test as part of the heat loss.)

Cop of 4 for space heating and 3.5ish for DHW.

Bit of a waste of a system that it only has one PV panel. With that structure they could easily have done 2 or 3 panels, with some sort of roof, which would have cost very little extra and then Johnny could charge up his mobile phone or laptop even on the darkest day of winter 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Scoopsire

Interesting watch, self installed too.

I should be reading up on diy batteries but now stuck on heat pumps!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I reckon this is worthy of its own thread @liamog

Would you not consider a generator too, the quattro can take that AFAIR

If a new ground mount go tiltable, the extra vertical angle will be priceless for you in Dec/Jan

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

I have a generator already, a pacini 7kva diesel generator with three phase and single phase.

The ground mount is being put in place solely for winter generation, so I'm not spending thousands on some fancy tilting mechanism where the only benefit is in summer when I'm overproducing anyway..

Yes he mentioned a genny. You can't go off grid in Ireland in a family home without a powerful generator.

Using a generator as a matter of course, is cheating as far as I'm concerned. I don't want to get to a situation where the generator is on every day in winter for instance. I intend to have the additional solar and then add wind down the line. We have a road water draining tunnel that exits onto my land that I was considering putting a mini turbine on too, for some additional energy in bad rain. The only acceptable use of a generator is charging the car in winter IMO and even at that it should not be on the regular.

I might be 10 years away from that point but I intend to keep investing each year till I get to it.

Also another attraction of the quattro is that you can run the generator for 2-3 hours and charge your house battery, a much more efficient use of a generator than just running it on a changeover switch and power the house load only.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

"I approve this message!" - LOL

Jokes aside, it's an extremely financially dubious initiative, but one that I like to see people take. You're walking into this fully aware of the consequences of your actions, knowledgeable of the tech, vulnerabilities etc - so respect. I'd love to get more "off grid" myself, but all I've left is potentially a battery expansion to 25Kwh or so (from my existing ~9Kwh). Wind turbines, ground mounts, etc .....just not doable in a semi-detected in D16. There's more to life than simply money and people stepping up and trying to reduce/remove their carbon footprint as much as possible is a admirable goal in life. Unfortunately not everyone has the resources to go there, but even wanting to is moving in the right direction.

Do you know how much "head" (stop sniggering down there at the back!!) there is on the rain water and flow rates? You need a surprising amount of water to make anything useful sadly (i.e. more than 100watts) That lad Kris in wales is a good watch on youtube for ideas.

• Advertisement

The rain water is not going to be useful I'd say, its no more than a trickle usually even in rain. Just thinking outside the box. Even with 30 or more kWp in the future there will still be days of single digit generation. With my current 8kWp I have seen a couple of outright zeros and a good few sub 5kWh days in the winter. This is why I need realistically at least 25kWp and more likely 30+ kWp of an array and multiple batteries, allowing for storage to cover multiple days of baseload. I think we use about 12-15kWh per day for normal use (including dishwasher etc) excluding high loads like the car charging. If my average median generation across last december was approx 3kWh per day from 8.2kWp, it stands to reason that to cover that use alone and exclude any car charging, I would need 25kWp. Now you see perhaps why I'm aiming so big.

The old adage is true, the best return on investment (even buying pylontechs and victron stuff) is going to be solar PV, more than wind, more than water.

Advertisement