Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I think at this stage we have discussed the final 2 weeks of May and opening week of June extensively on this forum because there has been a huge variation in how good it was depending on location, but you summed the situation up perfectly there. The Difference between Dublin and eastern coastal counties compared to the west over that time period where like 2 completely separate climates in terms of temperature and sun/cloud levels. Since mid June we have all been in the same boat and summer really took a nosedive in the final 10 days of June and abandoned us completely by June 30th.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭ascophyllum

Sunshine since 10am this morning and feeling warm once out of the breeze, 3rd great day in a row here in the West.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭alentejo

Shower in Dublin City Centre - This was not planned according to ME!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,400 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Nice morning but clouded over now, at least its been dry so far which is a first in 17 days though that could change later!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

He does not care about the temperature as much as most do on here, only the sunshine (and I am in agreement with him albeit even I did say at the time I would like it a bit warmer!) which was very good even in the east aside from those "short" advection low cloud incursions on specific days.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

there is always the threat of showers even on dryer days like today and tomorrow. A shower about to hit me now skies going very dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Heavy enough rain now in Lucan after a bright dry early morning, clouding over since around 11. I literally just finished cutting the grass as the first drops fell. Thank god I got it done. I was hoping to leave it to later in the afternoon as it was still damp, but glad I decided to persevere as I'd be back to square one again now waiting for it dry out. Story of my life at the moment.

I work outside a fair bit and don't remember such a prolonged period of getting wet every day. We're not used to this in Dublin! Usually it's only the odd day, and most days you can time avoiding the worst of it. Not so the past month though. I don't remember it this bad since maybe 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

wet again here in Meath, a heavy enough shower, tomorrow is last chance to find a window to get the lawn cut before the deluges of this weekend and next week.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Showers have just arrived in Greystones. 17.1c atm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Showers on and off throughout the night and today. I see on M.E you can view the radar for the previous 48 hours. Not sure how long they’ve had that but I just noticed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,400 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Showers here now in South Dublin, too good to last.

Turn around...I'll get my coat

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

I was hoping to cut the grass today but grass wet after the afternoon showers. The grass has been wet now solidly for over a week now with rain each and every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭pad199207

Got the grass done and some of the garden before a light shower arrived. 18.3c

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I would never cut grass when it is damp underhand but at the moment in Dublin you have to take your chances

got mine done but it’s p1ssing down again

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ThaitaniumM

What's the verdict on the AIHF? It doesn't look good judging by the GFS and ECMWF. Hoping there's some sort of Foehn effect but looks as if the wind is coming from a more westerly direction

Have managed to get soaked both at lunch time and just now in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭appledrop

A great day spent in Malahide Castle, looks like we were luckier than some of you in Dublin with the showers, we are out since early morning and only got a light shower at about 4.30pm.

At the moment it's doing that weird thing of raining but sunny, Ireland's weather is mad.

Sryanbruen if the max doesn't increase from what it is so far this month would that be one of the lowest maximum for July?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Grand day in Cork, much more typical of what you’d expect in July. Been dry all day too 👌

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Dry day here too in North Wexford. Felt warm in the sunshine.

Saturday & Sunday are looking like a total washout for my area at the moment.

That's why I'm out doing things as much as I can during the week, because no point waiting until weekend when my husband is off, but it's not easy with two kids on your own especially when you have a crazy one year old😄.

This weekend looks like been identical to last weekend, another cool washout up to 40mm of rainfall in many areas over both days combined with daytime temperatures generally in the 11 to 15c range, coolest in the north while it is raining. July 2023 couldn't be more different to July 2022 with most places failing to get above 22c at any stage this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Lovely evening here. I wouldn’t call it glorious or anything but dry and bright and no wind so no complaints. Was in Dublin today. Cloudy at lunchtime with a shower but a an unremarkable day. Just caught the forecast for the weekend. You’d nearly laugh at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭snowgal

I know I know the weather is as unpredictable as!!! And I’ve seen the posts like this before, but, anyone anny idea of what to expect for next Thursday eve?? We’ve a work outdoor event for roughly 400 ppl and I’m charge of all decisions weather related!! Meant to be a picnic style layout in a field with entertainment but I’m thinking now at least should order chairs as blankets on the ground a no go? Head wrecked… the event will go ahead regardless, 250 umbrellas ordered but any inkling at all would be appreciated 🙏

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭pauldry

Has been fairly dry and sunny most of the week in Sligo after the weekend flood. Dry most of tomorrow too but rain sets in Friday Saturday and some of Sunday, maybe all of Sunday in the East.

August warm up now pushed away by the Northwesterly airstream that St Swithin has stuck us with. Time to take up snooker and darts.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Is August not looking any better so Pauldry?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,928 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Went out for a stroll around The Lough on a beautiful evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭acequion

True as your last sentence might be, the smug smile doesn't be long coming off our faces when we land from the high 30's to the muck at home.😨 It will be my turn on Sunday to come back and listening to talk of another shyt fest and low temps, I'm dreading it! Nothing more sobering than the plane door opening at Kerry airport and being welcomed by a cold a gust of Atlantic air! Nothing more fab than arriving somewhere warm and being welcomed by a wave of heat when you descend the plane's steps. Like getting a massage. 😀 Already plotting another escape. I just can't hack Irish "summers." Life too short to live in that climate, roll on retirement!

• Advertisement

Depressed at the second washout weekend looming.

Advertisement