Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Western Rail Corridor / Rail Trail Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Calling stuff falsehoods and then you proceed to just make up timings and service patterns based on nothing.

Reopening either phase of the WRC would not be the best use of that money to improve rail transport in that area, just as Phase 1 wasn't either (raising the Ennis-Limerick line so it doesn't repeatedly flood, passing loops or dual tracking at each end, Renmore/Mervue etc stations, more services would have raised passenger figures by far more)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Funnily enough - there’s not a single timetabled service that manages Athenry to Galway in 15 minutes. All are timetabled for 19-21 minutes.

Similarly, Castlebar-Claremorris only manages 19min once, on the 5.28am departure. All other departures take a few minutes longer.

It’s almost like the poster who already been caught lying, but accuses everyone else of lying, is yet again being economical with the truth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,010 ✭✭✭what_traffic

This is exactly where the money for Rail in Connacht should be spent first. Double track Athenry -> Oranmore -> Renmore -> Galway City.

Demand is there. Then do Tuam -> Athenry once Galway to Athenry is double tracked, if WRC is to be at all feasible in the long term it needs this to occur first IMHO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Galway needs an hourly train to Dublin at least that can complete the journey in under 2 hours and that means double track Portarlington to Athlone and Athenry to Gakway. Then something has to be done about journey times between Limerick and Galway. Building new routes while the existing lines are archaic makes no sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Economics101

Ballina-Rosslare "rail spine", railway to Donegal. It's all apparently in the Strategic all Ireland Rail review.

See this:

https://www.irishtimes.com/transport/2023/07/17/atlantic-railway-spine-from-ballina-to-rosslare-and-higher-speed-intercity-travel-proposed-in-rail-review/

Jesus wept.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Westernview

You asked for some quotes. The Baxter one from the link is from James Jordan, head of planning, warehouse and distribution at Baxter on 2nd June.

“The development of an inland rail freight hub at Castlebar and the reopening of the Western Rail Corridor are key infrastructure enablers to support this drive to sustainability and will be fully supported by Baxter and other local businesses in the area.”

https://www.con-telegraph.ie/2023/06/02/baxter-commence-rail-freight-from-mayo-to-waterford-port/

In relation to Rosslare I was referring to a quote from Glenn Carr who responded favourably to James Jordan's plans. Glenn is the Derector for Commercial Business units at Irish Rail and Irish Rail operates Rosslare port. According to his Linkedin profile he has "Direct responsibility for the ongoing management, investment and future development of the commercial businesses within Irish rail which includes; Rosslare Europort, Rail Freight and Navigator Road Haulage."

https://lk.linkedin.com/posts/glenn-carr-26485113_railfreight-railway-irishrail-activity-7070310295054770176-4AGM

You said that I've convinced myself that the AIRR will recommend opening the line, so are you suggesting that it wont? (every recent update from goverment suggests it will so not sure why you are making that point? - even today again in the Irish Times

https://www.irishtimes.com/transport/2023/07/17/atlantic-railway-spine-from-ballina-to-rosslare-and-higher-speed-intercity-travel-proposed-in-rail-review/

Then you say that even does recommend reopening that it will that it will mean nothing. So again you are unable to accept its predicted recommendations but you are out of touch with what is being reported.

In terms of it needing a business case Eamon Ryan said last week that he acknowledges that he will have to get it approved at cabinet level but is confident that there is "a real strong economic case now".

You said "Connecting Tuam might benefit Tuam itself but does nothing for the wider region." That makes no sense - if Tuam benefits from being connected to other towns then the other towns connected to Tuam must get some benefit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Looking more and more like the AIRR was written by Eamon Ryan himself and that it is toilet paper.

Between carbon reduction requirements and large budget surpluses, events have conspired to make large scale investments in the rail network to bring it to 21st century standard (from the current 19th century standard) but it looks like that opportunity is going to be pissed away in favour of ER's fantasies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

The draft review hasn’t been published yet, everything here is based on speculation.

Taking the Irish Times article at face value, it says that Athenry to Claremorris will be included, however it says quicker line speeds between cities is an *integral* part of the report.

Reading posts here, you’d think the Dublin Metro is about to be abandoned in favour of WRC. I could understand the angst but there’s no basis for it.

The article also said - "An integral component of such a spine would be a railway connection between Athenry, Co Galway, and Claremorris, Co Mayo" but you conveniently left that part that.

I see little or no mention of people here suggesting that the Metro will be or should be abandoned in favour of the WRC. That would clearly be madness.

I was accurate, the article says the spine from Ballina to Rosslare is included, and that the Athenry to Claremorris piece is integral to that spine. So it’s not my interpretation that this report is listing Athenry to Claremorris as integral to our overall rail strategy or Priority #1.

There are several mentions of Metro, so obviously the comparison is being drawn, even if my comment was exaggerated.

• Advertisement

Ok fair enough on that but it seems that public transport is going to get much great funding than in the past so it looks like it both the Metro and WRC will be progressed. I think most of the mentions of the metro have been in terms of the cost comparison not priority. Obviously the metro will cost more and will serve more people but the WRC will require much smaller investment.

I'm sure Baxter would be happy for the government to pay for more rail network for the to potentially use, why wouldn't they? I'm sure there are plenty of companies across the country who want infrastructure built for them but doesn't mean it automatically happens, have a system to ensure only worthwhile projects get funded.

I don't see anything there actually showing any concrete plans for rail freight in Rosslare Europort. They do have plans for €100+ investment which doesn't involve rail freight and leaves limited space to accommodate it.

I made the point that the AIRR recommending reopening of WRC doesn't mean much as it is not part of any investment plans for the next decade. Being in the AIRR doesn't make a difference to the Business Case, cost v benefits is what matters and then it needs to have a better case than other projects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Read that article earlier on and the only question I had was whether this is "unreal" or "surreal". I decided that the latter was probably more accurate.

Of course Baxter will be happy with different options and more networks. You asked for proof that they said it and I provided it.

I don't know the detail on what plans Rosslare has for specific spending. There has been some mention of the WRC connecting to Foynes as well so that may become more likely.

I'm only referencing what I'm reading. Eamon Ryan has been fairly consistent. He has ruled out north of Claremorris for rail for the foreseeable future but has maintained support for south of the town and has even held his ground on seeming to prioritise the WRC over the N17 even though he knows it upsets people. He said he wont give false promises so he deserves some credit for that.

Cost v benefit matters yes and he is confident he has the case to make taking everything into account. Nothing is guaranteed but lets see what happens.

Priorities can appear different too. With Athenry to Claremorris already in place (as an inactive railway) it could be delivered ahead of other seemingly prioritised projects that require scratch design and CPO.

It couldn’t be delivered before Galway to Athenry is double tracked though if it was to have any hope of carrying passengers

Why the obsession with Rosslare? As has been pointed out it's mainly a Ro-Ro, almost nothing nothing to do with rail. There are plans for Rosslare, largely about facilities to service offshore wind generation. Nothing to do with rail. If you have ever been to Rosslare you would see that adapting it to handle container rail freight is virtually impossible

Meanwhile for Lo-Lo container traffic Waterford/Belview has huge potential. Prior to the collapse of Bell Lines in the 90s it handled 5 or 6 container trains a day to Dublin, Limerick and Cork, a large multiple of its present rail traffic.

The level of ignorance on Ballina-Rosslare is staggering.

The Rosslare angle stinks of attempted empire-building by “someone” in Irish Rail who has responsibility for both rail freight and for Rosslare port.

There’s nowhere in Rosslare Port as currently constructed with space for a container terminal to be constructed. There’s currently no berths in the harbour that would be suitable for container loading/unloading. The only way it could happen would be a major expansion and reconfiguration of the port, and would probably require sea-reclamation works to give sufficient space. Of course - all that would mean a massive capital budget falling under the responsibility that of that same “someone”.

We’ve an existing rail-linked container port in the South-East at Belview, which could easily be expanded for much less than converting Rosslare to handle containers would cost. But Belview Port isn’t owned or operated by Irish Rail so they won’t advocate for any growth there.

The reported pushing of Rosslare for rail freight in this report doesn't exactly help its credibility

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

given their trains would be serving bellview, then of course they would advocate for upgrades.

there is no empire building here by irish rail, irish rail were neither interested in rail freight or even rosslare for a long time, they are effectively being forced to invest in both so as to increase their commercial income.

nothing stinks or is out of order, rather simply proposing a spine that allows for multiple different opportunities for passengers and freight, there is no requirement to have an exact service between the 2 destinations mentioned.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭andrewfaulk

Your comments are about 15 years out of date regarding investment to handle containers..

Rosslare handles containers, the twice weekly service to/from Zeebrugge which started last summer carries about 25/30 doubles(stacked containers) per sailing.. In fact, with the current trajectory, Rosslare will probably handle more containers than Waterford before too long.. Con-ro(containers on ro/ro vessels) means no need for gantry cranes or dedicated container berths.. It also offers a far better(quicker) service than Lo/Lo..

However, most of what is handled is mostly for local industry in the Wexford area.. Railing containers from the West of Ireland to Rosslare doesn't really stack up in terms of cost or CO2 emissions when they could rail to/from Dublin instead(and which would require much less investment)

The other thing which Rosslare Europort is missing to allow it operate rail freight is a rail connection with available capacity. It's only current rail connection is the mainline to Dublin but there isn't available paths on that north of Wicklow, possibly even further south than that. Even if additional capacity were to be created south of Bray, there is no scope for meaningful freight trains north of there.

The only realistic route for rail freight to Rosslare is via the South Wexford line. That would no doubt require another significant spend (reopening the line to Foynes is costing €60m for comparison). It would also involve freight trains passing Belview Port which already handles rail freight. So between WRC reopening, South Wexford line reopening and Rosslare Europort expansion and upgrades, it would cost several hundred million € for freight from Mayo to go through Rosslare.

The same money would allow for multiple meaningful improvements on the existing network, which would benefit more passengers and allow for greater rail freight usage. You would hope that the AIRR would recognise these things.

• Advertisement

Multiple reports have looked at the case for further WRC reopenings and found there to be none. If another minister was pushing their own pet project like this where no Business Case can be made and it wasn't part of the recently updated NDP, they'd be be rightly ridiculed. His talk of rail from Mayo to Rosslare is a false promise so giving him credit for not making false promises is ridiculous!

There is so much investment needed in our rail network, why he puts so much attention on this is just weird.

When it comes to governments the only report that counts is the latest/current one or in this case impending one. Even since the last one was submitted to government in 2020 the government has changed it approach to climate change and public transport. Varadkar has said as much.

The last report of the reports you mentioned said Tuam had a population of around 1,000 which just about sums up how credible that one was. Funny how you reference past ones in making your point but have already on a number of occasions called the next one "Toilet paper" without having seen it - quite contradictory.

Still waiting for your cost breakdown of the €100m you say will cover upgrading the existing lines instead of opening the WRC.

It remains to be seen if the AIRR actually assessed the cost v benefit of potential investments. The Public Spending Code requires a certain level of assessment and a general, island-wide report isn't sufficient (particularly if the benefits assume rail freight to Rosslare Europort without also considering the other costs associated with that). Another report will be required, and no doubt another and another and...

Not sure what cost breakdown you are waiting for, it will cost many multiples of €100m to upgrade the existing network to a standard similar to our peers (faster speeds, double-tracking, mostly electrified, level crossing removal, etc.). There is no shortage of projects requiring investment on our rail network, reopening lines is only a distraction until the core network is of a certain standard.

A handful of containers being handled as RoRo doesn’t make a container terminal. Rosslare themselves report them as RoRo units instead of TEUs.

Rail freight means you need an actual container terminal - which means LoLo capabilities are a must. Rosslare currently can’t handle LoLo and doesn’t have the space to built a container terminal on

120units/240TEU a week, so about 12500 TEu per year with no investment from Irish rail( the reachstacker operation is outsourced).. Hardly insignificant for something that it a relatively new phenomenon.. It’s about a quarter of what Waterford handles in a year and shows that fully blown Lo/Lo facilities are not needed anymore..

A siding into Rosslare port could probably be done for about €3m, facing on the down side into the marshalling areas.. it’s the €100m to get that far from Mayo that’s the issue..

Doubling Athlone to Portarlington and investing in new rolling stock would give much more bang for your buck on freight terms.. Fact is, Baxter don’t care what port their goods travel through, in fact most of it goes to/from Dublin by truck

3m for a siding into Rosslare. Are you joking? It would involve much more than that. Have you ever been to Rosslare and seen the constraints to developing meaningful Lo-Lo capacity?

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

Check Irish Rail timetables for yourself. 3 out of 5 trains traveling from Castlebar to Claremorris (on this Wednesday) take 19minutes.

6 of the 18 Galway to Athenry services take 15 or 17 minutes (3 and 3). The Athenry to Galway direction is 18minutes at best. When Oranmore passing loop is completed, 15 minutes will be possible for most trains.

Don't call me a liar. And don't disregard my relevant point based on a few minutes. Ridiculous

I didn't estimate timings based on nothing. You rubbish my point based on nothing.

I assumed a lower than 60km/h speed on Claremorris-Tuam,, which is slower than the Limerick-Athenry speed. Tuam-Athenry is basically a straight line so I applied a 75km/h speed.

For comparison, Athlone to Ballinasloe travels at 75km/h. A direct Athlone to Athenry service travels at up to 97km/h. So my estimates are perfectly reasonable.

Yes it remains to be seen what the AIRR says. That's my point. We wait to see what it says instead of rubbishing it beforehand.

This is your quote from last week on the €100m. I'm still curious as to where you came up with that figure. I've already debunked the first part about there only being enthusiasm for rail freight on the existing lines.

"If anybody is enthusiastic rail freight about from Claremorris that is because there is an existing operational rail line running through there. We certainly don't have to spend more than €100m to accommodate that freight. Fairly modest upgrades could facilitate much more services to/from Mayo, be they passenger or freight."

• Advertisement

https://www.irishrail.ie/IrishRail/media/Timetable-PDF-s/Heuston-timetables/10_dublin-westportballina.pdf

The published timetables say differently - 05.28 from Castlebar is scheduled for 19 minutes. the rest of the weekday departures are 20, 23, 21 and 20 minutes. There's no Saturday or Sunday departures timetabled to take less than 20 minutes.

Why make stuff up when it can be so easily disproven?

The only services which make it from Galway to Athenry in 15 minutes are Intercity services to/from Dublin that don't stop at Oranmore. Not comparable to what would be a commuter service similar to Limerick to Galway where every single scheduled service stops at Oranmore. It's like using the Dublin-Belfast line to estimate timings of a proposed spur to Dublin Airport.

It's very transparent that you've no interest in honestly presenting anything here - just spinning anything and everything to try and claim it justifies reopening the line.

I was down about 4-5 weeks ago..

Not sure what you are building but sounds like another white elephant.. No need for more Lo/Lo capacity in the south east, just a rail link into the port with some hard standing

It'll be greenway north of Claremorris to preserve the line so

However, he said the final part of the old western rail corridor from Claremorris to Collooney in Sligo was not expected to be earmarked for restoration in the report.

“I think the first and most important priority is doing the connection between Athenry and Claremorris. I think we can preserve that line [to Collooney].

Depending on what the report outlines for a timeline, it will be an "on the line to be moved to the side later" greenway from Athenry (if its a long timeframe to reinstate the line) or it'll be a "running alongside" greenway from Athenry (if its a shorter timeframe).

Personally, I couldn't care less which option so long as something makes use of this asset though I think it makes the most sense to build on the line now and shunt it to the side when they go to reinstate as building a parallel greenway now and then the line later will be a massive waste as they'll likely have to rebuild the greenway again.

As for timelines to reinstate it, I can't see it being anything but a very long-term goal

Ryan’s plan deals with proposed rail investment over a 30-year period. Short term projects would be developed in this decade, medium in the 2030s, and so on.

I agree, no need for more Lo-Lo capacity in the SE. I wasn't advocating building a line: I just thought it was pointless, and the cost was probably a gross underestimate, as is the usual case when someone advocates "investment".

The Irish Rail journey planner for Castlebar-Claremorris shows 19mins for several of the journeys, which I assume is excluding the 1 minute stopping time in the PDF timetable. As for Galway to Athenry, that's fair so let's call it 17mins, which is currently possible, including a stop at Oranmore and without the passing loop complete.

Current line speed assumptions:

- Limerick to Athenry 69km/h

- Galway to Athenry 74km/h

- Castlebar to Claremorris 75km/h

My updated estimate:

Castlebar to Claremorris - 20mins

Claremorris to Tuam - 25mins (assuming 65km/h)

Tuam to Athenry - 21mins (assuming 74km/h)

Athenry to Galway - 17mins

Total estimated journey 83minutes.

As I said previously, this is assuming line speeds are not improved. A measly 10% improvement on line speeds could see a direct Castlebar-Galway service running at 75minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭StudentDad

The sooner this line is rebuilt the better. If I could get rid of my car in favour of reliable and decently priced public transport I would.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Ronald Binge Redux

What bemuses me is the assumption of low line speeds. The world has moved on but the conversation hasn't.

This is exactly my point. People in this thread insist on claiming, as fact, the Claremorris-Athenry line is immediately doomed to fail, as it will be slower than driving, and a bus line would be better.

However, when you provide back-up data and estimates (based on sound reasoning), they obsess over a "1 minute" inaccuracy in my data, and then refuse to constructively discuss the point.

Your timings are irrelevant because the ability to travel at a certain speed is not the only constraint. It may be possible to do Castlebar - Galway in 83 minutes (hardly amazing in itself) pre 6am but unlikely for the rest of the day. And even if that time can be regularly achieved, how many people want to make the journey?

At either end of the Athenry - Claremorris section, you have single track which accommodates main line intercity services. For a train to get from Castlebar to Galway via WRC, it has to join/leave two other lines, this limits through paths. An available path heading east out of Castlebar might result in the train approaching Athenry when other services are scheduled to use the station (bear in mind that WRC Phase 1 trains use the station to change direction).

The single track mainlines mean serious limitations on what can be achieved in terms of adding new services from a branch. Obviously the existing intercity services will be given priority as they connect the west to bigger towns (i.e. Athlone, Tullamore, Portlaoise, Kildare, Newbridge, Naas, and of course Dublin). The freight angle is a red herring as freight is already been carried on the existing network and more could be added with targeted investment without WRC.

Double-tracking and capacity increases are needed first on the existing network but even that doesn't guarantee the fastest theoretical time Castlebar - Galway as you still have crossing manoeuvres which require time and good timing. This is why this focus on a Ballina - Rosslare "spine" is only a distraction, the real spine is the existing network which will have to support an expanded network.

The claim then is "we can do both, it doesn't have to be one or the other", well in the real world of limited resources and capacity constraints (funding, labour, planning system, etc.), we need to prioritise and first progress that which will have most benefit. All the media attention around the AIRR has been on reopening lines (WRC, Waterford - Rosslare, Navan, spur to Donegal) and clearly a lot of politicians are on that bandwagon (which the MfT is steering), it only detracts from what needs to happen first. If the AIRR is to be worth the paper it's printed on, it should be making this clear.

£3 million, all it needs is some Civils and minimal trackwork.. The main cost is signalling..

I wasn't advocating investing in it, I was merely pointing out that the argument that Rosslare doesn't handle containers/can't handle rail freight doesn't stack up.. Like I said, it makes little sense re-opening Athenry to Claremorris and Waterford to Rosslare to run containers from Mayo to Rosslare, that would cost multiples of fixing the issues in Rosslare for maybe 2 trains per week(that would likely be poorly loaded as the economics of it are crap)..

If we are talking about investment for freight in this country, then re-doubling Athlone to Portarlington should be priority 1 as it would benefit all currently operating freight services as well as passenger services to Westport and Galway.. The ROE would be far more favorable than anything further west and TDs and councillors in the West should be pushing for this project to happen within the 2020s..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭serfboard

Even when Bertie Ahern was firing around borrowed money like snuff at a wake we still did not have unlimited resources and we also had capacity constraints. However, rather than doing "what need[ed] to happen first" (double-tracking Portarlington to Athlone, or double-tracking Athenry to Galway, to cite two examples) we went ahead and built Ennis-Athenry at a cost of over 100 million. We did this because the politicians were under the mistaken belief that this was what the public wanted, thanks to the relentless (and admittedly successful) campaigning of a small pressure group.

Of course, once it was built, the public showed, by their refusal to use it, that it was not what they wanted at all. But sure what harm, 'twas only 100 million.

No politician is ever going to get their photo in the paper double-tracking a line. It's just not a mediaworthy item. So, despite the limited resources and capacity constraints we have now, I wouldn't underestimate the likelihood of it happening. I haven't heard one politician from the West of Ireland oppose it, or suggest that the other work should be done first, even though they may know that to be the case.

• Advertisement

Where to start? Maybe you’re just unloading.

The Bertie thing, I’d imagine politically it would have been challenging to get Galway to Athenry double tracked while Galway to Athenry/Dublin was getting a motorway - then the money ran out. I can’t recall, just a guess.

The public do use Limerick to Athenry/Galway.

If the door to Ceannt Station got a new handle you’d better believe Hildegard Naughton would be there for a photo. Double Tracking or any infrastructure improvement is always a prominent story.

There are politicians in the west that are quiet on the WRC issue, but one in particular who appears to be making it their legacy that WRC doesn’t happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,010 ✭✭✭what_traffic

That politician is smart enough and honest to the electorate in fairness. No point putting the cart before the horse. What's there position on double tracking Athenry to Galway City?

Is there anyone putting the cart before the horse? Seems to be a real phantom wedge in this thread.

Irish Rail have commenced feasibility studies on double tracking, the additional platform at Oranmore is going to planning. It’s going to happen.

Confirmation today that the AIRR has recommended opening the WRC to Claremorris

https://www.thejournal.ie/rail-review-report-donegal-cavan-monaghan-6127273-Jul2023/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Jizique

Not much use if going to a factory in Ballybrit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Bad urban planning on the part of galway council is hardly grounds to ignore any rail upgrades.

Why bother double tracking galway to athenry if its of no use to commuters going to parkmore

AIRR released

For the WRC it calls to "Reinstate the Western Rail Corridor between Claremorris and Athenry." But then it was always going to.

It also projects the cost of the Athenry to Claremorris section as 400-600 million.....thats some window, but it further shows that the WOT estimate was hilariously wrong and I mean HILARIOUSLY!!

The full report is viewable below

It boggles the mind that they aim to double track Galway-Athenry and Athlone to Portarlington but the section between Athenry & Athlone will be left as single line

On the plus side, Mayo CC now have zero excuses to fall back on to not proceed with a greenway on the disused portion between Claremorris and Bellaghy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭cgcsb

So I think more less everyone agrees the Portadown to Mulingar part is by far the most, shall we say, imaginative. What annoys me is why did they not just draw that line a lil bit further to Portarlington, if you're gonna dream that hard, might aswel finish

Bring back the Horseleap Branch ! 😁

Seriously, there is too much fantasy stuff in this report, whihc no doubt will exercise the journalists and useless Co Councillors.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Yes, the media are running with all the new lines to places like Cavan, with the nuts and bolts of the report only getting brief mentions if at all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement