Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of a United Ireland and the GFA

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,842 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Donaldson airbrushing history again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭droidman123

Have england even got a national anthem,i stand corrected but i thought i seen somewhere that gstk was the british anthem and england football fans just adopted it.i,m probably a mile off

• Registered Users Posts: 11,623 ✭✭✭✭downcow

You are 99% correct. It’s the national anthem of the Uk of gb and ni. So the anthem belongs equally to all of us (I think). I believe it should be reserved for Uk only events. So I think neither ni or England should use it

No idea.

All I know is they use it and that it was never the official anthem of NI. It doesn’t have an agreed flag or anthem

Well seeing that its not their anthem of course they shouldnt sing it,the england fans carry union jacks with them as well,i wonder do they actually know the flag of their country

• Advertisement

I don’t disagree with you but it’s just the same as irfu fans carrying the flag of 26 counties when the team is 32 counties. But as francie says there is no agreed flag.

Maybe someone should the england football fans they have been singing the wrong anthem and waving the wrong flags for years,i would love to see their faces😊

Francie never said any such thing.

With the agreement of Ulster RFU the IRFU use the flag of Ireland because the team is ‘Ireland’ and NI has NO agreed flag or anthem.

It will sink in eventually that this is an agreed compromise with inbuilt inclusive gestures which NI supporters and players and the relevant association (Ulster RFU) agree with and are happy with.

‘Bow their heads’ indeed!

But as you well know,there is no 32 county flag because of partition,hopefully that will change in the near future though.

it would seem then logical to use the last official flag of the 32 counties. The Irish tricolour has zero relevance to a 32 county team.

so francie seems to think it is appropriate for England to use the Uk flag, or indeed any piece of cloth they choose, as long as they agree to use it seems to be his theory. They could actually use the tricolour if they wanted.

• Advertisement

Francie said nothing about ‘appropriateness’ either, only that they use it.

downcow should stop making stuff up.

This is exactly what you said “It will sink in eventually that this is an agreed compromise with inbuilt inclusive gestures which NI supporters and players and the relevant association (Ulster RFU) agree with and are happy with.”

I am simply applying your policy to England and the flying on the union flag - unless maybe you have an issue with consistency on this as well.

what’s good for the goose, and all that

I see your women’s international team are playing today. I trust fifa has taught them that they need to keep their sectarianism under cover and make sure no one is recording when they are singing their unofficial anthem.

I am actually glad they do stuff like that as it demonstrates that United football teams cannot possibly work. There is no way northern unionists could be part of a team singing songs about murdering our people.

I hope no one is surprised that the vast majority of northern unionists will be supporting the team representing one the constituent parts of our nation.

I hope the ra singing ladies last long enough so as the Lionesses can get let loose on them - diner time.

the Irish football teams and irfu demonstrate to us what a Ui might be like. It’s a useful current heads up to those that think we might be treated fairly and with respect.

But England was not partitioned and did not need to come up with an agreed compromise or agreement.

Did you not know this either?

I am actually glad they do stuff like that as it demonstrates that United football teams cannot possibly work.

So if football teams 'cannot possibly' unite two sides as the IRFU has done, why all the work you say you are doing to rid NI soccer of it's sectarian past?

Was it not the goal to unite the two sides in a soccer team?

You seem very confused on this stuff downcow. One minute all inclusiveness the next a post like the above ^.

Several sporting bodies have shown it is entirely possible to 'unite' two sides when they learn to be inclusive and to get rid of sectarianism.

Somebody genuinely 'working' hard to do this in his own association should know this you would think, otherwise what is the point?

I think you need to check your history. It has had several flags and several borders in various places over time. But again that would not suit your narrative.

Again, you are twisting and dancing. I am not trying to unite anyone. I was pointing out how I had work to remove the last remaining chill factors out of the Northern Ireland set up and hoping that you would find a way to reflect on sectarianism in Irish sport.

I have no idea why you see it as a problem that I will be supporting England ladies in the World Cup. It is the logical team for a Northern Ireland Unionist to support.

Deflect all you want. Won't change any of the facts below.

1. They use it.
    2. It was NEVER the anthem of NI.

The IFA never sought anyone's views on what anthem to use because at the time Unionism was supreme and like in many other things didn't feel the need to ask or compromise.

Times have, of course, changed, and they cannot do it anymore because (see No. 2)

You keep telling us what you are doing to create a warm house for the other side. Remove GSTQ/K, end sectarianism etc That is 'uniting' two sides in support of one team.

Then you say it can never be done in a UI when we have shown how it can be done with the IRFU success.

You are confused or not genuine IMO.

And I never said boo about you supporting England, knock yourself out.

Unfortunately that’s your sectarianism showing through. I don’t see ‘two sides’ in the OWC support. I see Northern Irish people supporting their team, and I will continue to do everything I can to ensure all northern Irish feel included.

I don’t know what you mean about ‘they can’t do it anymore’. They are doing it and unfortunately, in my opinion, they will continue doing it for decades.

whether you like it or not. I am northern Irish and my official national anthem is gstk. And that is recognised by every nation in the world. But sure you continue in your wee francieland of make believe

now I want to move in from this nonsense to someone giving me some evidence that my future is best served by a takeover by roi ?

Unfortunately that’s your sectarianism showing through. I don’t see ‘two sides’ in the OWC support. I see Northern Irish people supporting their team, and I will continue to do everything I can to ensure all northern Irish feel included.

Which is the definition of 'uniting' people.

It has been done here in Ireland already, two sets of supporters joined together to support one united team in the IRFU = FACT

YOU said that could not be done in a UI when we have already proved it can be.

And no matter how you pretend/deflect/divert - NI is the registered team not the UK and NI has NO official or otherwise, anthem = FACT

It matters not a jot what you as a Unionist sees as your anthem, it is, as we know, not just your 'wee country'.

*Funny how you always want to 'move on' when confronted with facts you cannot get around.

• Advertisement

You may be bored, you are also wrong and it shows. You should bow your wee head. 😉

Francie stop digging. I am doing you a favour by moving on.

Moving on because you cannot counter the facts put in front of you.

We have proven beyond doubt that in a UI that there can be Irish sporting teams where supporter and player are happy.

Despite your bogus ‘heads bowed’ claims respect for the dual anthem and a choice of the tricolour or 4 provinces of Ireland flag is shown. No reason why it cannot happen soccer if the bigotry and sectarianism is put to bed in history.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

But there are ladies from NI playing for the ROI. There is noone from NI playing on the English side so would it not be more logical to support ROI.

Last week you came out with "why would I want NI split I love it and ALL of it people"

Is there any irish rugby player who has said they think Ireland should be split in to two rugby sides? I know George Best from a unionist background said he thought it was silly having two irish football sides.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

the gfa does not outline the financial implications of a united Ireland. As a result, the transition would create huge uncertainty about how certain financial aspects will be managed. This lack of clarity will lead to prolonged disputes and negotiations regarding debt and financial responsibilities, etc, etc. ‘think brexit’. For an economy the size of roi this will be very unnerving for investors. We are now 7 years into brexit and the fallout for the smaller economy of the two is still unknown.

so in a best case scenario - say roi is able to negotiate a dream scenario - Ireland is still headed for at least 10 years of massive unknowns which would inevitably have a serious negative impact on the economy. And that’s assuming roi gets all it wants, which obviously won’t happen.

you see the challenge for roi is that if they win a referendum then it appears to me that they must take ni - is this correct? So there is no incentive for Westminster MPs to be generous. They can play hardball Maybe payback time for the **** and uncompromising approach of eu and Ireland over ni when it was uks responsibility.

the day the referendum is won is the day Britain knows that ni is the eu and Irelands problem. If I was a Uk MP I would def be thinking ‘pay back’ time.

the gfa does not outline the financial implications of a united Ireland. As a result, the transition would create huge uncertainty about how certain financial aspects will be managed

Why would that happen?

If the British pulled out in the morning, maybe there would be uncertainty, but that is not going to happen.

Primarily because if anyone has learned lessons, it is the British. They no more want a shitshow and a failed UI, to deal with than anyone else does. It's in nobodies interests except belligernet Unionism and partitionism that a UI fails. Neither the Irish, British, the rest of the EU, US etc. benefit from a failed UI.

The Irish and British governments are friendly governments over and above the heads of any belligerents/partitionists and the transition will take place in this atmosphere.

The British tacitly withdrew when they signed the GFA, they are over NI and IMO gradually pushing NI away. In it's most simple sense you can see this in the way Charles relates to once former enemies - SF. The British and indeed, SF have moved on.

A transition that suits both countries will be negotiated. It will be easier than you think.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The economic effects of a UI will be settled long before any referendum - which has to pass separately in both jurisdictions.

There should be little long term negative effect on either economy. It is in no-ones interest.

• Advertisement

With regard to you continually referring to the unionist community in Northern Ireland as "belligerents." I find this choice of language offensive and divisive. It creates a negative and inaccurate stereotype and makes constructive dialogue impossible

Labeling an entire community as "belligerents" only serves to alienate and antagonize, making it difficult to find any common ground

we clearly have different viewpoints, but i don’t understand why you fear engaging in discussions with empathy and open-mindedness. Dismissing the concerns and experiences of the unionist community will certainly hamper progress and/or reconciliation and bolster opposition to a Ui.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement