Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,497 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

The mentality monsters are back.

We can do it on a balmy Wednesday in Karlsruhe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yeah, that integration factor basically writes off the top-tier aspirations for this season for me. We all know how reluctant Klopp is to throw even one tactically-important player in over their first few months at the club... it might've been possible to have some sort of challenge if the new players could be eased into the system seamlessly enough around the old heads, but with all the experience gone they'll just have to give it a lash. And we don't even have the benefit of the old pro's showing the new guys the practical aspects of their positions, since all the experienced lads who ever played 6 or 8 for us are now gone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,250 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Fab and Hendo gone for a bit over 50m. 2 big wages gone too. Their legs were not good enough last season, I expect they would be no better next season - Hendo was only going to be good enough for 30 mins really, while Fab had quite a poor year.

A huge gap in experience needs filling. Who we buy and play as their replacements will effectively decide our season.

350k, no tax, for 3 years, hard to say no to but it is a pity I think. Sign of the times really, every club will be selling players to Saudi. Not the first not the last. The fee was a pittance in essence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭hawaii501

What are they going to show them, how not to run around?

That midfield was an absolute disgrace last season! I'm glad they are all gone, none of this sentimentality and experience. I know they were class at one stage but they have all regressed sadly.

Anywag we've gotten a world cup winner and a Hungarian captain livewire in so far along with hopefully 2 more in and I can't wait for next season. Think something special is happening. Diaz fully fit and a new cb would be a dream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Well you can't have it both ways, unhappy that players have been moved on and pointing out that the ones that are still there are regressing,we need a full rebuild , there is no place for sentimentality and it's likely not going to be pretty this year but at least attempts are being made to change it up again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

This is delusional stuff tbh, but I suppose football fans love new things and are generally short-term in their perspective.

The team was poor last season, but that should have been expected in the context of a massive emotional comedown on a very short off-season.

I bought into a last hurrah with Keita / Milner / Ox / Firmino cleared out and effectively replaced by Diaz / McAlister / Sobs. Everyone would be hungry and rested, and we could have a last run.

But Hendo and Fab going completely changes the equation; how could it not? We will now have an entirely new midfield; we have lost lots of experience and will be integrating many young and unproven players. The reality here is quite obvious if you can step back briefly. All teams' age and time remains undefeated in life and sport. We hoped to pull rabbits out of the hat to find replacements because we cannot compete financially with City, Newcastle and Utd.

This is not about Hendo, Fab, Milner and Keita being right to go. These moves are prudent squad moves; they make financial sense. But it signals that our run with Klopp is over. Maybe we come back strong the following season, but VVD, Salah, and Thiago will likely be dropping off at that point. The reality is hard to accept; I get that. It's sad.

I'm not asking for it both ways. People are talking about "exciting times". We just had a poor season and are running into another one; then we will have more players to move on and probably a new coach. I think being "excited" about that is mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Bobby, Ox, Keita, Henderson, Arthur were all earning between 100k - 180k a week. Fabinho still is. Milner was on reduced wages but still a pretty penny. I'd guestimate that they were taking home around 800k a week between them.

With only AMA & Szoboszlai signed, I'd guess that there is around 220k ish currently being offset against that. That's a very large difference.

It's a lot of bodies out and not enough in yet. Lot of experience out with low experience in. Still need another midfielder in, possibly 2.

The club needs to decide soon whether they want to go down the route of bringing in 2 midfielders, at least one being a dedicated DM, or whether to bring in one midfielder and one CB. This latter route would allow more confidence to be placed in Bajectic, Jones & Elliott. And that is the route I think the club will take. Thiago will leave next summer so maybe they will look at delaying recruiting experienced replacements until then.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

All very well going for PL proven but this is the premium you pay. First thing I heard about us being linked was yesterday.

• Advertisement

Maybe people are excited to see a pretty young team grow. Klopp is building a new young squad. Yes, it's very patchy in depth, but I'm sure Klopp is well aware of that,and will try to add more players.

I thought you were done with Liverpool anyway a few years ago? Or was that someone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Mod Edit

Warning issued.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Some very odd transfer fees to Saudi from the UK. Massive and miniscule, so both ends of the scale, but 12M is a joke.

I've no problem with Jordan going but I have a huge problem with that paltry fee. It's derisory really. I'm not sure who we can afford to buy now but there'll be a lot of focus on the manager and the recruitment team if next year goes as badly as last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

It's also madness because now every team knows we desperately need reinforcements so they will play hardball. This is a nightmare scenario now for the transfer committee. I can't see this been resolved easily within the next 3 weeks before the season gets underway, this summer is slowly becoming a disaster after such a positive start!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,288 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

4 teams in Saudi Arabi have been bought by the government they are the ones giving the massive money the rest are just cracking on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,380 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

If he's worth £70m you may leave it so. A good grafter who does plenty of work but isn't in the top bracket or the tier just below.

We were told there was about £150m to spend this summer and we've spent £100m already. We're getting £50m from Henderson and Fabhino and will probably get another £30m from sales so they need to go and buy an excellent CB to push VVD and a starting DM.

Colwill is the heavily linked CB but will Chelsea sell now with their injuries? Maybe Laporte will be sold now by City with Garvidol coming in, but would they sell to us? We've been linked with Schurr as well but I don't know much about him.

Adams from Leeds looks good based on a recent TAW video for DM and not someone I would have even thought of. Maybe he'd be available for a reasonable fee? We were linked with Sangare a few years ago and those links seem to be popping up again in the last day or two. Could be an option and having played with Gakpo previously it might help him to settle quicker.

Next season will be a very strange one. If we start well it'll get confidence up and we can build on that. My worry would be after losing Henderson and Milner the standards expected in the squad from themselves may slip slightly and if we hit a bad patch the heads may drop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

If reports were to be believed after the Sobo deal, we had potentially 30m left in the pot if the right player came available, the Fab and Hendo fees bring that to 82m...it's not great if we still hope to get 2 maybe 3 midfielders in and a young center half! Add in that none of these players will see any preseason with us most likely with the season starting in 3 weeks...it's a bit of a sh*t show at the minute!

Probably never did, just a yesman for it.

Or maybe just doesn't care about wrongful deaths as long as they aren't English either way a dire attitude.

How am I?

Saudis are not responsible for many many atrocities? I suggest you do some research!

• Advertisement

What's that got to do with Hendersons feelings towards Hillsborough though?

As I said, you just made that up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭Augme

A month ago we were aiming for a title challenge, now we'll struggle for top four.

Forget it anyway my initial post here tonight is blocked obviously my views on Jordan aren't digestable, very surprising.

Maybe he is genuine but that is my take on it, wheter its the case or not do can you not see a hint of contradion yourself?

He is campaigning on a yearly basis for justice on wrongful deaths and was seemingly committed to various other goodwill campaigns

He now pursues his career in Saudi, wrongful deaths and human rights violations commonplace.

Now if he goes on similar campaigns there I'll be first to applaud but I do suspect not the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,739 ✭✭✭giveitholly

With the squad we had a month ago was not winning us a title

Henderson going to Saudi makes a mockery of his previous social justice positions, that's just the reality of it.

So play it out, think it through.

Does this squad strike you as good enough for the top 4 now? And if we have another year like last, can you expect Klopp to stay? Think about where we'll be a year from now in this scenario. Two years out of the CL. Klopp gone. Salah, VVD, and Thiago are all being moved on. Newcastle is further along. Utd with their wall of money in place. Still excited?

Financially, significantly cutting the wage bill is prudent. The club continues to be safely run. So this isn't 2010 in the round, but realistically this is the end of an era on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,739 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Least wait until the transfer window is closed before writing off liverpool's hopes for the next 5 years

• Advertisement

Who was the last Liverpool captain to be sold? It's very rare. Most retire or leave the club of their own will to drop down a league etc.

Henderson has thrown away his legacy now, especially off the field, and it leaves a sour taste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭FluffPiece

Thrown away his legacy! Haahahaha, get a grip!

It can make a mockery of his previous stances, fair enough but not what was done on the pitch. He'll go down as one of our greatest captains and if he wants to see out his last few years over there making money, then so be it. He's given the club everything and owes it nothing.

Yeah it’s a sad day

Sounness left for Italy after doing the treble in 84 (having just turned 31). That would be the last time a Club Captain left with a similar type of impact.

He would have gotten as big, if not bigger farewell tour during the summer that Bobby got the last few months if he had left at the same time.

He won't get that now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

Henderson's logic could be to "get the bag" but bring it home and help the causes that he has been supporting these past years.

Or am I being too naive?

I dunno, it's a strange time really. There is a part of me that hopes for a great reset but I don't think that's going to happen.

At the moment football feels like a passing curiosity and it's hard to get really invested in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭Augme

No one is saying he owe the club anything. But leaving for the country he is leaving for absolutely makes a mockery of a lot of the positions he has previously taken. He's a hypocrite who can be bought. If he ever makes it back to Anfield I'd expect a fairly luke warm at best reception.

Also, as club captain, forcing through a transfer isn't a great look either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Really ****, disappointing ,bitter ending to a stellar Liverpool career. Yes I know the money but I don't know what he's thinking, he's the captain of Liverpool football club on big money as is, got a few years left in him yet, then there's his outspoken support of LGBTQ.

I won't say his legacy is tarnished or anything, he's one of the most decorated captains in the clubs history but just really disappointing end.

Would any of the LGBTQ communities accept anything from him now? He was a advocate for the community but he has taken the big payday from a regime where being gay is illegal so it's unlikely that will be viewed positively anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

It's all a bit mad, but it's what's needed ultimately, the club left the midfield situation fester a season too long and they're unfortunately reaping the rewards (though I'd prefer to keep Fab)

Once Henderson entertained the idea of leaving I'd imagine that was that with regards to Klopp, if he's chasing the bag then so be it, his head is obviously not 100% on Liverpool and that's obviously what Klopp demands (especially the club captain).

The fees, personally i don't think 12 million for a past it Henderson is "disgraceful" and more importantly the wage bill significantly reduced puts us in a good position to reinvest. Two more needed so let's see what happens.

On the leadership thing, so what, city have moved their captains/leaders on for years now once they are passed it and move forwards. We've multiple national team captains at the club, our latest arrivals are a world cup winner and another national team captain FFS. Big onus on said players to step forward, this is the start of Klopp/Liverpool 2.0. Do you want in or out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

I guess it will be a test of their conscience too? I mean if it's going to a good cause?

One of my procrastination scrolls through YouTube Shorts I saw a brief clip of Steve Irwin taking about money. He didn't care where the money came from just that he could use it to safe endangered animals and building suitable habitats.

I mean he might have had issue with "Oil money" considering he was an environmentalist...but who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Strange window so far, started off positively and now looks like all our experienced midfielders will be gone, who knows if they'll even be replaced. It does unfortunately highlight again how poor our transfer strategy was since winning the league. Thaigo was the only significant midfield signing and at best that was a limited success. We should have been adding a young midfielder ( early twenties- not teenagers) every season since winning the league, instead we ended up with the mess that was last season and now having a full clear out, when the price of midfielders has never been higher, plus a few other clubs have emerged ( Newcastle & Arsenal) with serious amounts of cash to throw around, who weren't a threat in the transfer market before. That's before City, United ( who will spend even more soon) and Chelsea are even factored in. We were in an incredibly strong position, but, blew it and are now trying to play catch up with far less resources.

Midfield next season is relying on Mac Allister, Sobo and whoever else we sign ( if we sign anyone that is) to settle quickly ( possible, but, they will likely need time to settle, possibly even a season) and Thiago to stay fit 🤣. The fee for Henderson is a joke when you consider the cost of a replacement. I suppose we could sign Arthur on loan again, we might even get 20 minutes out of him 🤣. Hopefully there's a proper plan in place as at the moment it looks a bit chaotic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

What if he lines up sporting blue lipstick and rainbow coloured nails for his first game?

Give the lad a chance and see what he does before tarring him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

One thing i will say on the Hendo transfer, Klopp might have viewed it as Hendo owes him/us nothing, he's ran himself into the ground for us for 12 years, lets not make it difficult for Hendo to get a final big payday, we'll ask for a reduced transfer fee as a parting present.

Hendo will go down as one of the greatest Liverpool midfielders and captain in the clubs history, regardless of if he moves to saudi or Mars.

Thanks for a great 12 years Hendo.

He'll probably be locked up or given 20 lashes for breaking their morality code.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

He won't even get away with Rainbow laces, if he tries anything like that, he'd be kicked out at best and at worst possibly face a prison sentence, he's not going to risk that, also I don't see why some seem to think he'll use his money for those good causes he supports, most wouldn't take his money now as they'd see it as blood money. It's a strange move for him whatever way you look at it, he's effectively ending his high level career and damaging his off field reputation, he's already independently wealthy and should be financially set for life. Is the money really that important to him, if he was even going to the US I'd kind of understand, but, money is the only attraction in Saudi Arabia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Ugh, it's just such a grim story looking at the big picture of it.

It's like a weird test case hypothetical question someone might throw out; "Say you're a super well respected famous person, who has a young family and crazy wealth - 40 million plus at least - how much would someone have to pay you to move for three years to a place where your wife and 2 young daughters are officially second class citizens, and this place also has national laws that entirely undermine all the causes that made you well respected in the first place, and it's their governmental Ministry For Sport that will be paying you?"

And I guess the answer is; "this much".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,466 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Gerrard's part in it will not be forgotten, he's the person who fingered Henderson, no one else.

Paying Henderson a Million Dollars a week is easy when your bank account goes up 500 millions dollars a week every week. They simply can't spend it quick enough to matter, and never will be able to spend it, so why not target the Liverpool captain, and take him. It's Club v State , we can't compete with that, no one can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,497 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Who was the last Liverpool captain that rode the bench as often as Henderson did?

He has never been the norm in that department.

Honestly I'm not bothered by this transfer, once we sign a replacement. Same for Fabinho. 12million isn't amazing but it's better than nothing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement