Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭148multi

They will become interested fairly quick when they are effected.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,416 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Interesting anomoly, the year with no summer 1816 was caused by the eruption of Mount Tambora in Indonesia in 1815. It also led to the circumstances in which Mary Shelley wrote Frankenstein.

Climate is changing due to humans, no doubt on this point. It has to be a joined up plan to deal with it. It's no harm in everyone beginning the journey. Methane is an easy scapegoat, the latest to be finger pointed by the fossil fuel industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭straight

BUT alot of the methane comes from the fossil fuel industry. You can actually measure the methane isotopes to see their source but strangely enough nobody is interested in doing that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Ironic that the middle class white people shouting most about climate change will be the least affected.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Agreed, and Mt Saint Helen’s eruption in 1980(?) left a few bad summers after it too.

l think one of the arguments against global warming is based on a natural dip in temperature coinciding with the introduction of more accurate measurements in the 1860’s. Temperature was going to rise anyway. But CO2 levels are also rising, we can’t dispute that.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

I’d 100% believe them- I was only pointing out they were stories as a previous poster mentioned met eireann has stats rather than stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I never mentioned cattle numbers - same goes for that other poster who seems to have a similar imagination🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Christ on a bike - did you read what I actually posted?? I was taking about measures needed to buffer society against extreme weather events, nowt about what sector is producing the most CO2, some folks need here to reign in their paranoia🙄

Post edited by Birdnuts on

• Registered Users Posts: 21,416 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Indeed it does, some 300 large sources identified. The two big ones in Turkmenestan have the same as the whole of the UK. They switched off the flaring as that was detectable!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭older by the day

When we young 5 of us children and the two parents were going around in a VW golf. Before that a beetle. At the school gate my old land cruiser is small compared to what the mother's drive. Who needs a BMW x5 to carry two toddlers. A 3 litre should be pulling a cow box.

And I live in the back of beyond. But every day I see a few couriers drawing cheap Shiite up an down the road. It's consumerism has the hole thing fuuucked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,774 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

You can wind in the paranoia too, I could've just as easy referred to the measures needed to buffer society against extreme weather events,

The same applies , what's the point in us being goody goody when the majority are acting the brat

All those couriers delivering plastic toys and gadgets are completely unnecessary. And it’s a real reflection of the real problem - consumerism.

Increasing personal debt to buy stuff is not growth in the economy

• Registered Users Posts: 29,517 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Great achievement to get to the world cup. Hope they do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

It’s super to see all the hype behind them too. Hopefully they good well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Suckler

I have 15 acres of rushes and briars in need of tidy up. we're in organic's so spraying off not an option, so I'd set on using a mulcher to blitz through the lot of it. A lot of lads now telling me that they've only seen a stronger crop of rushes after mulching compared to topping them. I find mowing them just leaves them in clumps and rows letting nothing through. Any thoughts?

Is there any grass in the field, or is it 100% rushes and briars? If there was a pick of grass you could leave a few cows or older cattle in and they might trample some rushes. Happened here a few weeks back where a big circle of rushes in a field started to die back after cattle were lying in them and grazing in around them. Will be topping after the next grazing now whereas I thought I’d have no choice only to mulch before.

Alternatively, you could mulch a few acres and see what it’s like after a month.

Whatever you plan to do with it post “treatment” might also impact your approach now; e.g. will you reseed to grass and graze cattle or sheep on it, will you plant trees on it, do you plan on draining it, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭roosterman71

If ya had access to a weed licker it might be no harm to hit them after cutting when they are growing again. Yer at nothing though if it's wet land. They'll keep growing then

The man that owned it had it rented out for years so it wasn't well looked after. Between 6 - 8 horses on it the last 5 years. Before that it was rented out as a bit of grazing. Very little grass on it, drains all walked in so wet in a lot of places. I'll need it for grazing ground so need to get the grass back in it. about 30 years ago it had silage taken off part of it, effectively been 're-wilded' since it's been rented.

It's wet in spots but nothing a bit of drainage wouldn't sort for the most part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,774 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Ireland playing well. 🇮🇪 🇮🇪 🇮🇪

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

I’ve been that solider trying to reclaim fields and ditches that were left to “rewild” by tenants.

It will be a job of work and will cost you money but it’s worth it when you see a green working field emerge again.

Take pictures before you start (throw them up here if you’re so inclined) and they’ll help show the progress being made.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,556 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Cut and keep it cut. If you can remove the first heaving cut of rushes. Bale them if necessary.

As you are in organics you cannot spray or even weed lick.

Open the old drains and fence in the drains. If you can moleplough into the new drains. It's all about getting as much water out of the area as possible.

It will take a few years to weaken the rushes by cutting but they will weaken. You want to top after every grazing. Rock phosphate which I think is organic and granulated lime may help as well. Do not spread either until mid spring. FYM as well will help

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Heard a few dubs on site today talking about the plan here to reduce the national herd and import beef from South America in turn clearing the rainforests out there. They couldnt believe it and werent overly sold on it, might be a small glimmer of hope that the urban dwellers of this country are starting to see through the smear campaign on Irish agriculture.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

You/they are completely correct, many years it was some battle to save enough hay for the winter, especially in the Western half of Ireland, different story in the East.

Don't undervalue oral history. Some western first nations tribe did not value written history as it is too easy to lie with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭148multi

Second this, have a couple of fields like this, have used mulcher which seemed like a good idea, but long term did not work out.

Now top as early as possible and later top and bale, this has had best impact on controlling rushe. also mind it like a young child, if rain heading in I skip a rotation and graze early and get stock off, rearly let a big bank of grass build up. Once 5 days grazing builds I watch forecast .only let full crop build up in hot weather will put up pic of what has been achieved by 3 topping a year and one baling. A shot of slurry or fym in March, April or May seems to work best for me.

This field was 80% rushes, used to grow high and fall over blocking most of the grass.

Post edited by 148multi on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Came across this on facebook and I thought it was good 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Packrat

By Jaysus all the trolls are out today.

Must be the rain kep them in from picking kale and cycling.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

That's me done with gambling for a long time.

I was messing around online between yesterday and today on the phone with a betting website. Started off with a stake of 250. Eventually today got that up to 2200. But the thing is it's a game of snakes and ladders/inching forward. On the soccer betting that I was at. You have to bet big to win small. You could have 15 wins on the trot and it only takes one bad bet to bring you back. No matter spreading the risk and all that you can't vouch for the little guy on the field kicking the ball in the back of the net. Vanity had me thinking I nearly had it cracked and in a system. But the house always wins.

It fecks up your day and you're stuck to the phone getting your next bet on or waiting for your pot to come back to get the next bet on.

Nope. Nope. Nope. No.

I can see why Pippa Hackett married a bookmaker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Don't feel too bad. I've been betting with rearing livestock for the last 40 years and haven't fared much better 😲

Advertisement