Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transgender man wins women's 100 yd and 400 yd freestyle races.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

They forgot the

"Hateful transphobic bigots" description

Pro woman me arse

They could be truthful and put the real descriptor "anti trans" like the lgb alliance which couldn't care less about lgb people.

Post edited by Annasopra on

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭plodder

Shooting the messenger much? Seems they are an all women, 100% independent, non government funded, feminist organisation, fighting for women’s rights. But that makes them "Hateful transphobic bigots” according to you. Check the link below to see what these bigots look like.

It’s not possible to have this debate without information, and that is sadly lacking. While I wouldn’t really expect it there, the Paralympic website results provides no relevant information to that end. It looks to me like they have pulled the event videos now as well.

In that context, organisations like Reduxx, publicising this are performing a valuable function. It is significant and materially relevant information that this person is on the podium in multiple events at age 49. I understand why you don’t want that to be discussed, but it is happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Shooting the messenger much?

Nah, it’s very much a case of on this occasion, the messenger shot themselves in the foot.

Like I figured in posting the tweet here, you weren’t familiar with reduxx, which is fair enough, but now that I know you can’t but be aware of them, and what they actually do and don’t do, and still think given all the context, that they are an organisation performing a valuable function, it puts to bed any question that you’re taking the piss for shìts ‘n’ giggles!

Depending on one’s perspective, organisations like reduxx can be both, I mean, I could’ve called them ableist bastards too but that’s over-egging the pudding and they don’t appear to have even thought of that themselves, apart from inferring that because Petrillo didn’t have a guide, they’re not actually visually impaired either 😂

Had they even done the most basic research, and please, it’s all out there, they would have realised that those people attached to the women look suspiciously like members of the male sex, so much for reduxx’s efforts to portray men as predators who need to cheat in order to get close to women in that scenario!

Then you’re obviously not considering the other context in which basically it’s like this -

You can walk 5000 miles before you’ll bump into anyone who’s transgender.

You can walk 5 miles before you’ll bump into man, woman or child,

Want to take a wild guess how far you could walk before you bump into a person with some form of disability?

The optics man, think of the optics, which is what a lobby organisation like reduxx should have given more thought to before making the cognitive leaps they did, and hoping other people were likely to make those same cognitive connections. Hell I can’t even walk five yards some days without hearing someone from behind me screaming “WTF? Are you blind??” 😂

I walk on, and if I hear their steps quickening and louder, I run, because it’s safer to do that than turn back and apologise for bumping into them. When people realise you’re visually impaired, the first thing that tends to occur to them is you can’t identify them to Gardaí if they kick the living shìt out of you. At least if I run, there’s less chance I’ll run out in front of traffic, or run into a brick wall.

Reduxx aren’t keeping anyone safe by attempting to portray anyone as a threat to anyone else’s safety. Most people, never mind women and children, don’t need a chaperone 😒

You talking about the messenger here (Reduxx) rather than the message (the trans woman 19 years older than the rest of the field) is exactly what 'shooting the messenger' is.

Yes, we’re both agreed that reduxx is the messenger. My point is that the messenger has already shot themselves in the foot. That’s why this particular story got no traction, whereas in other circumstances, it has a better chance of getting traction, or capturing the publics attention.

Transgender athlete is meh at best, transgender athlete at the Paralympics? I’m not sure what’s less than meh, like Laurel Hubbard levels of meh!

• Advertisement

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭2Greyfoxes

Really?

I think the more ai hear bogus/hyperbolic claims such as these the more I think the Trans movement is completely divorced from reality.

Meanwhile the likes of LGB Alliance are all about accepting one's body, working for same sex rights... yet they are the hateful ones? Very odd that a group that is for the rights and equality of same sex individuals is now seen by some as a hate group.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,511 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

They opposed a ban on conversion therapy. How is that acceptance? "the current push to ban conversion therapy... is being used as political cover to promote an affirmation-only approach to gender identity".

In their own words founded “prevent the dissemination of the lie of gender identity” is that acceptance or working for same sex rights?

A fake grassroots movement that is a proxy of the US Heritage foundation.

You're spot on.

They're not hateful at all, despite the fake propaganda. The movement against it is hateful, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Says the same thing about Dave Chappelle but zero evidence to back it up ,

Plenty of so called activists saying it but it's nothing more than a soundbite repeated over and over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

There's literally no evidence in that piece of "evidence". Trans supporters protesting to having something removed, proves nothing but trans supporters being offended by something.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

LGB alliances entire raison d'etre is hate of trans people.

Terry Pratchet

I think the more ai hear bogus/hyperbolic claims such as these the more I think the Trans movement is completely divorced from reality.

Meanwhile the likes of LGB Alliance are all about…

All about making bogus/hyperbolic claims that are completely divorced from reality -

Lesbians facing 'extinction' as transgenderism becomes pervasive, campaigners warn

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/12/25/lesbians-facing-extinction-transgenderism-becomes-pervasive/

This is their submission to the ‘Sports in our communities’ Committee in 2021:

https://committees.parliament.uk/writtenevidence/19033/pdf/

Feckall about promoting representation of… anyone in sports really, just all about pretending that gender doesn’t exist, ergo people who are transgender don’t exist.

Don’t just take my word for it though, but there’s only so many ways anyone can interpret a statement like this which ignores the reality that people who are transgender do exist, and have been playing sports and participating in sports for as long as there has been sports:

IN CONCLUSION - LGB Alliance recognises the significant challenges faced by children and young people who do not conform to “gender stereotypes”. Many of them will grow up to be lesbian, gay or bisexual. Today many children and young people spend time online to work out who they are and where they may find a place where they feel they belong. How much better would it be for girls and boys to find a sense of belonging in sport. No pressure to conform, just fair competition and skills development.

Couple of issues with that idea - like where do they imagine people who are transgender come from? And being either lesbian, gay or bisexual doesn’t exclude the possibility of their also being transgender, no more than having a disability excludes the possibility of being transgender, such as reduxx were trying to infer. They too, would be mistaken -

https://www.gendergp.com/disability-pride-month-trans-disabled-people/

People who are transgender are entitled to be represented in sports as everyone else is represented in sports in the same way, promoting sports for the benefit of everyone in society in accordance with the principles these sports organisations are latching onto at a phenomenal rate because of their need to remain relevant in society.

Since when did Twitter become an arbiter on the merits of an organisation?

Twitter isn't the arbiter of anything? Trouble reading?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Why did the same group try to get an autism charity banned

This is their submission to the ‘Sports in our communities’ Committee in 2021:

https://committees.parliament.uk/writtenevidence/19033/pdf/

Feckall about promoting representation of… anyone in sports really, just all about pretending that gender doesn’t exist, ergo people who are transgender don’t exist.

They aren't pretending that gender doesn't exist. They are saying that sport should be categorised by sex rather than gender.

That's their opinion as a lobby group. You might not agree with it (I do) but it's not reasonable to say they're "making bogus/hyperbolic claims that are completely divorced from reality". Even if you believe that subjective ideas of gender are more important than material and objective realities of biology, that doesn't invalidate their opinion.

What same group, Twitch users, Twitch, or the LGB Alliance?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

There's nothing in that link that backs up what you said.

Their bogus/hyperbolic claim refers to their claim that lesbians are facing 'extinction' as transgenderism becomes pervasive. That’s a direct claim from the organisation themselves, no hyperbole on my part. That’s why it’s perfectly reasonable to say they’re making bogus/hyperbolic claims that are completely divorced from reality.

In their submission to the Committee, they are pretending that gender doesn’t exist, and that in relation to diversity on boards, they wish to have the word ‘gender’ replaced by the word ‘sex’.

Personally, subjectively, I don’t have to care what their opinions are as a lobby group. It’s why I’m not the least bit concerned about these fringe outfits like LGB Alliance, Reduxx, Fair Play for Women, the rather ironically named Countess Didn’t Fight for This and a whole plethora of organisations in that space. I choose to ignore them rather than engage with them, as engaging with them would lend credence, validation and legitimacy to their beliefs, and because I’m a firm believer in the principle that if you roll around with pigs, you end up getting covered in shìt.

It is not I who believes in subjective ideas of gender, that’s LGB Alliance members who don’t believe they have a gender identity, nor do I believe that gender is of greater importance than material and objective realities of nature. Biology is an entirely different thing - as one of the life sciences it’s concern is with the study of life, it’s a methodology as opposed to being a philosophy, evolved from philosophy precisely because it was conceived as a framework for understanding life without all the philosophical baggage which preceded it.

That’s why it’s called one of the hard sciences as opposed to the soft sciences like sociology and politics. It’s also why as another poster pointed out earlier - most adults have a lesser understanding of biology than a child in primary school. That’s a matter of a lack of knowledge caused by poor education, as opposed to anyone’s lack of familiarity with their own anatomy, physiology or psychology.

Historically our education system was more concerned with teaching rudimentary concepts such as reading, writing and mathematics, as opposed to the minutiae of biology, physiology, anatomy or anthropology. It was not for girls, and it’s still not for non-believers, at least not in Ireland, or in most countries for that matter. Were it not for the Encyclopaedia Britannica I too might still be fumbling around in the dark unable to navigate a woman’s body, and my mother would never have walked in on me tugging the skeleton out of myself and refusing to look me in the eye for days, but that’s a whole other story. Suffice to say I was a rather curious child 😂

What invalidates the opinions of LGB Alliance and other organisations like them, and the opinions of individuals who hold fast to their subjective world views in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary, IS the overwhelming evidence which contradicts their deeply rooted beliefs. To deprive themselves of knowledge is one thing, ignorance is indeed bliss, but to attempt not just to deprive other people of knowledge, and to go as far as to deny all knowledge of other people - that’s how theocracies and autocratic regimes replace democracy, which has its flaws, but it means everyone who has an opinion is entitled to express it, and their freedom to do so is upheld in law. It doesn’t follow from that principle that everyone in society is obligated to entertain their bullshìt.

Their bogus/hyperbolic claim refers to their claim that lesbians are facing 'extinction' as transgenderism becomes pervasive. That’s a direct claim from the organisation themselves, no hyperbole on my part. That’s why it’s perfectly reasonable to say they’re making bogus/hyperbolic claims that are completely divorced from reality.

The document you linked to doesn't say that. It does say that lesbians are being told they are transphobic if they aren't open to sexual relations with biological males who have a female gender identity. I don't see the word on their website either for that matter. Even if they did say it some time, someone acting in good faith would try to understand what they mean by it (It's not hard). It's far less hyperbolic than some claims from trans activists (like the genocide one)

In their submission to the Committee, they are pretending that gender doesn’t exist, and that in relation to diversity on boards, they wish to have the word ‘gender’ replaced by the word ‘sex’.

That's their opinion and they are entitled to it, without being called a hate group, or compared with pigs, as you did below. It's nasty ugly stuff. It's no wonder that many women have been intimidated into silent acceptance.

Personally, subjectively, I don’t have to care what their opinions are as a lobby group. It’s why I’m not the least bit concerned about these fringe outfits like LGB Alliance, Reduxx, Fair Play for Women, the rather ironically named Countess Didn’t Fight for This and a whole plethora of organisations in that space. I choose to ignore them rather than engage with them, as engaging with them would lend credence, validation and legitimacy to their beliefs, and because I’m a firm believer in the principle that if you roll around with pigs, you end up getting covered in shìt.

It is not I who believes in subjective ideas of gender, that’s LGB Alliance members who don’t believe they have a gender identity, nor do I believe that gender is of greater importance than material and objective realities of nature. Biology is an entirely different thing - as one of the life sciences it’s concern is with the study of life, it’s a methodology as opposed to being a philosophy, evolved from philosophy precisely because it was conceived as a framework for understanding life without all the philosophical baggage which preceded it.

That’s why it’s called one of the hard sciences as opposed to the soft sciences like sociology and politics. It’s also why as another poster pointed out earlier - most adults have a lesser understanding of biology than a child in primary school. That’s a matter of a lack of knowledge caused by poor education, as opposed to anyone’s lack of familiarity with their own anatomy, physiology or psychology.

Historically our education system was more concerned with teaching rudimentary concepts such as reading, writing and mathematics, as opposed to the minutiae of biology, physiology, anatomy or anthropology. It was not for girls, and it’s still not for non-believers, at least not in Ireland, or in most countries for that matter. Were it not for the Encyclopaedia Britannica I too might still be fumbling around in the dark unable to navigate a woman’s body, and my mother would never have walked in on me tugging the skeleton out of myself and refusing to look me in the eye for days, but that’s a whole other story. Suffice to say I was a rather curious child 😂

What invalidates the opinions of LGB Alliance and other organisations like them, and the opinions of individuals who hold fast to their subjective world views in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary, IS the overwhelming evidence which contradicts their deeply rooted beliefs.

That is literally the opposite of the truth. Sex is objective and gender identity is subjective. I read yesterday (and it seems to be true) that the parent bank of Coutts (of Nigel Farage fame) Nat West allows staff to use the two sided ID card badge to identify as male and female on different days. Seems a bit binary to me, but if it harms nobody else, why not? The trouble of course is that sometimes this stuff does harm other people.

To deprive themselves of knowledge is one thing, ignorance is indeed bliss, but to attempt not just to deprive other people of knowledge, and to go as far as to deny all knowledge of other people - that’s how theocracies and autocratic regimes replace democracy, which has its flaws, but it means everyone who has an opinion is entitled to express it, and their freedom to do so is upheld in law. It doesn’t follow from that principle that everyone in society is obligated to entertain their bullshìt.

Who is depriving anyone of anything? It's Stonewall who tried to get LGB alliance stripped of its charity status. It looks like it was a declared Brexit remainer who made the decision to close Nigel Farage's bank account at Coutts. The UK public are waking up today a bit shocked at how far they've gone down the road towards theocracy if not autocracy.

The irony of what's in your signature, is obviously lost on you

You appear to have missed this link in the original post you were responding to. I understand exactly what they meant by it, so do they, and so do you -

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/12/25/lesbians-facing-extinction-transgenderism-becomes-pervasive/

The rest of what I said is referenced in the document I provided.

Of course they’re entitled to their opinion, we’re agreed on that much. What they’re not entitled to is expressing their opinions without being identified as a hate group, or indeed pigs.

It is not the opposite of the truth, sex can be characterised in any number of ways, including but not limited to being aligned with gender which refers to the masculine and the feminine, and to demand that any set of rules in relation to diversity refer to sex rather than gender is done with the specific intent of depriving people who are transgender of recognition.

You sure that wasn’t Mermaids who sought to have LGB Alliance charity status in the UK removed? LGB Alliance were formed as a result of Stonewall refusing to entertain their bullshìt. The UK public have no idea these groups even exist, they’re that inconsequential, which is why they rely on daft, misguided, misleading propaganda to present themselves to the public as the saviours of public morality. In that regard they’re rather like beer - the cause of, and solution to all of life’s problems. They want the public to get all worked up about people who are transgender, they ignore the fact that people who are transgender have families, friends, neighbours and work colleagues, who really don’t care about such trivial matters, they care about the person who is a human being, not just an abstract concept.

You appear to have missed this link in the original post you were responding to. I understand exactly what they meant by it, so do they, and so do you -

I missed it yes. Interesting that the article is from 2020. A lot has changed since then and certainly the Telegraph wouldn't be calling them "controversial" and I seriously doubt that the Ofcom chief would say now it is "entirely inappropriate" for the BBC to have them on TV. I do understand what they meant by "extinct". It's less hyperbolic than the claim of "genocide" against trans people, though I understand what they really mean too. The two terms are kind of referring to the same thing, what they perceive as the other side is doing to them....

The rest of what I said is referenced in the document I provided.

Of course they’re entitled to their opinion, we’re agreed on that much. What they’re not entitled to is expressing their opinions without being identified as a hate group, or indeed pigs.

As I said, nasty school-yard stuff. Could even be hate-speech against the protected characteristic of 'sexual orientation' under both the current law and the proposed one.

Nah plodder, nasty schoolyard stuff is attempting to portray people as a threat to women and children on the basis of their characteristics; identifying hate groups expressions of their prejudice and bigotry as not worth my time, energy or effort on the principle that rolling around with pigs you would end up covered in shìt, would not constitute hate speech, either under current or proposed legislation.

That’s somewhat getting off-topic though, so I’ll leave it there for now rather than continue to entertain opinions which have little to do with policies relating the participation of people who are transgender in sports.

Not at all. The likes of Reduxx and LGB Alliance are all about othering trans people in their bigoted hate driven agendas. They dont give a crap about women or LGB people.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

The organisation was founded by gay people who fought for gay rights in the 70s and 80s.

You're talking nonsense.

Advertisement