Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Businesses/Shops opening in Cork city/suburbs.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

It could be said for a lot of businesses in city center. I woukd definately agree that it should be open sundays too. And maybe close on a monday or tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

But wouldn't everything be pushed back an hour if they opened and closed an hour later?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

I didn’t realise lunch and shopping were mutually exclusive activities, go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,132 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is H&M opening a home shop in the city?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I don't get why people think it's weird to ask about opening hours? I can't get my head around why retail/service businesses run to business hours, when most people are at work. Open later, close later. Give people an option. Surely it's the behaviour of the customer that should be matched, not people trying to manage around an old fashioned approach to opening hours...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,478 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Post edited by freshpopcorn on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Deub

It is not weird. After all, businesses do what they want. If they get enough money with the current opening hours, good for them and they have no incentive to change it. You just can’t complain not having enough customers and finding excuses without being questioned about your opening hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭what the hell!

H&M Home is just going to be part of the current shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 trackrunner

I used to work close to the English market for years and used to cycle past it every evening going home from work. Never once could buy something as was always closed in the evenings after I finished work. This used to really annoy me.

I've always thought them opening an hour later would make a lot of sense and target the office worker. A lot of city center workers cycle or get public transport so would be easy to pop into the market to get something. Just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

That’s the thing. If it works for the traders, then great! But if they’re on newspapers then blaming lack of parking (while being next to multiple multi storey car parks and on the doorstep of a Park & Ride stop) for the reason they’re losing to suburban shopping centres, they’re wrong. There are thousands of potential customers between City Centre office workers and students in the new student apartments. Advertise to them, open & close ONE hour later (excuse me for being entitled by suggesting such a horrific idea that will destroy the work life balance of the traders) and have the option from the council to open on Sunday if they wish (and then close on a Monday or Tuesday instead)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,161 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Sunday is fine but a large number of passing footfall, especially this time of the year are tourists who contribute nothing to the businesses.

The main guys in there are working from 5am as they supply businesses in Cork. If you go past at that time you will see plenty of vans and hand carts going out to supply cafes, restaurants who need early delivery for their breakfast and lunchtime trade. Knowing a few of the traders, thats where they sustain their business, not from passing trade. They can't exactly tell the restaurants they will be an hour late.

Passing trade is still hugely important to them in terms of family name, daily trade, promotion etc, but ceertainly the bigger stalls cannot pay the bills on that. They try to keep staffing down to a minimum, the likes of Pat from O'Connells often does the drive to Castletownbere of a morning, Tim on Chicken in is on the road at some crazy time in the morning. Both have families and kids yet both are seen as 'faces' in the market that people want to see. They have to have downtime and if you look at the throughput of the market, its tailing off dramatically after 2pm on a weekday, so in my opinion 5pm just wouldn't be sustainable to justify staffing the larger stalls. Lets not forget, they can't just keep it ticking over with one or two staff at that time as the cleanup and pack away is one of the busiest times of the day so they'd have to maintain a decent head of staff.

Post edited by beer enigma on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,950 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

It was a tiny sample of traders complaining in this article - 3 - if I recall correctly.

That article cannot be and is not representative of the traders in the English Market.

Post edited by the beer revolu on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

The market is severely congested with tourists this time of year and it really affects trade, the traders have been complaining for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

It's like a group of tourists that go to an Irish pub...one of them orders a single glass of Guinness and the rest take photos and sit there for an hour...no proprietor is going to profit from that.

Being honest, I've probably walked through the English Market 4 or 5 times in my adult life and that was always to show a friend visiting from elsewhere because of the uniqueness and photo ops...I never recall any of us ever actually buying food there. Its a bit of an unfortunate situation where its more of a free tourist attraction (probably encouraged by the Queen's visit) rather than a food outlet to many and I can see why the market operators and regular customers can be irritated by it....

The council proposed a €2 ticket system for people going in to cut down on tourists - I know that sounds wierd, but the council are the landlords and were trying to protect their tenants. The traders shot that down as they want to be accessable even to tourists, markets have always been as much theatre as sales. On saying that, they have a business to run and staff to pay. 

The market currently employs over 400 people directly to work in the market, that doesn't include the people back at base preparing the produce. This number has stayed roughly the same for the past three years, very few layoffs post covid. Compare that to prices, fish prices (Cod / Hake) have increased up to a whopping 75% in the last year alone due to increase in fuel prices and drop in suppliers. Many boats have been scrapped under the EU scrappage scheme, thought to be up to 50 boats in Ireland which decreases availability and again increases prices. Chicken and beef are similar, poultry and beef wholesale prices have increased by 19.5% over the last 12months. These are all ratified IFI and CSO figures.

Sorry its long winded, but the long and the short of it is that the traders have to trade when they gain maximum benefit and simply cannot afford the luxury of catering for quieter hours and tourists.

The recent article caused quite a storm with the English Market traders association because it simply was not representative of the general feeling, they have always pushed for more park and ride rather than city parking. The traders interviewed were not long standing traders and appear to have been cherry picked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Pat O'Connell and his chronies can't dictate everything that happens in the city . Same traders that objected to the Capitol originally becoming a food emporium that would have been a much better development than what it is now

"John Cleary Developments (JCD) said following extensive research, and a national and international marketing campaign for the proposed food hall, it emerged that without state-sponsored support, it would not be commercially viable. JCD said planning restrictions around hot food and take-out offerings were also prohibitive."

It wasn't the traders that dictated the end of that idea

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭notAMember

We can all have anecdotes and different ways of getting our food. I shopped in the English market early every Saturday morning for most of my life, getting fresh meat, veg, spices, wine, cakes etc for whatever I was doing that weekend. I met my friends for a coffee in there. It's the absolute heart of the city for me. I know most of the traders I go to by name, and they know me and my family by name, and what I like and am looking for. That personal way of buying food is really enjoyable for me actually. I never get that experience walking around an anemic supermarket. But I know some people prefer the impersonal...

I also like that same style of market in other countries too, some of the markets in spain etc close in the afternoon, and open again maybe one evening. I know some of the traders in Cork did have an appetite for closing in the afternoon, and instead doing an evening service maybe once a week, where they could also expand to serve cooked food or wine from some stalls. There were even events I think, which were successful (midsummer festival maybe years ago?) But the council would not allow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭crayon80

The last Iceland store in Cork has closed

https://www.corkbeo.ie/news/local-news/corks-only-remaining-iceland-store-27374159

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭EnzoScifo

A shame for the workers, but it didn't seem viable once Brexit went through. 99% of their stock was delivered from Britain it seemed.

• Advertisement

• I enjoy shopping in the English Myself. It’s a really important facility and very much the heart of the city.

If it needs an injection of funds it should get it. There’s a lot more important reasons for it to be nice than tourism. It’s a facility for those of us who actually live, work and shop in the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

By injection of funds, do you mean for building upkeep or just to keep some of the vendors going? If the former, then cool. If the latter, then if they can't keep themselves going in a viable manner, let someone else try...

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭airy fairy

I passed through the English market yesterday, at around lunchtime. Came in from the Princes Street side, (that street is so run down it doesn't look appealing to enter the market tbh. )

Visitors resting against the fountain, eating their takeaway foods from stalls further inside the market, surrounded by the chicken and meats stalls. Tbh it looked terrible. Very little trading going on in this area, and I have to say, in the current climate, fairly expensive and not appealing to look at, display means a lot now and it all looked tired.

Passing those stalls though, heading into the inner area, was like a different world, packed with visitors, coffee drinking, snacks, herbs, spices, olives, fresh cakes...queues of people wanting food and takeaways.

Rounding the corners towards the fish, and fruit and veg, the older stores, and trade flittered away.

The alternative, fresh fast snacks and food inside seem to fill the niche where it's trendy to purchase there. I can understand that there's not so much to buying a chicken or 8 oranges and lugging around the city to get home. Can be bought anywhere. But honestly, the older stalls looked like they couldn't be bothered and haven't moved to upgrade their displays and make it attractive.

• The building. It’s crazy that it’s not being as adequately maintained. It’s one of the key features of the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭thejuggler

The Princes Street end of the market was destroyed by fire in 1980 and there was a further fire in the mid 80s. The city council renovated the building on both occasions. Maybe another ‘fire’ is due/needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Ozvaldo

Worst plan Ive ever heard 2 euros to go in to the market -who votes these idiots in ?

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Ozvaldo

Indeed that lifestyle sport area is a complete eyesore full of wackers

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,355 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Registered Users Posts: 16,950 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Opera House cafe is reopened a few weeks now as Half Moon Café. I haven't been.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭thomil

I have. Nice ambience and very easy to reach for me, with a TFI Bikes station literally right outside. Food is mostly your standard lunch fare, several types of soups and sandwiches, but all pretty tasty. I like that they're serving panini and similar stuff with potato cubes, rather than just your standard crisps. Not the cheapest, but how many places in the city centre are cheap these days?

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

Advertisement