Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Saudi Pro League and Transfers 2023

• 20-07-2023 8:51am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Thread to discuss transfer of players to Saudi Pro-League clubs.

As more and more players move to the Saudi Pro League many questions and concerns about the relationship between soccer; soccer players and Saudi Arabia state investment will be raised. It is important that soccer forum members can discuss these items without derailing other threads so this thread was set up separately to the normal Summer 2023 transfers thread.

If posting, please remember this is a soccer forum and posts should not go too deeply into items that belong on other parts of the site, for example talking about politicians.

Post edited by DM_7 on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

The Saudi league is state funded, which makes it political. More spin from the middle east. Foreign investment in football clubs, huge investment in their own league. Added to that, the investment in international golf and it's clear the Saudi's are using sport to soften western criticism of their regime.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

It is fine to talk about motivations of the investors in this thread.

The reference to politicians is referring to whataboutery such as what about a politican doing business with Saudi Arabia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

It's frustrating to see people say things like (big clubs have always come in for players and bought them, this is no different). It's very different!!

Saudi are dragging the game of football down a very dangerous and one way path IMO. I can see 2 outcomes from this.

(The more unlikely and more difficult one but it is a league that is in a country that will just make up new rules to suit itself so who knows.)

1 - Saudi aim to become the top league in the world through sheer force. Throwing more money than everyone else at it (while allowing players far greater allowances like not paying tax). It will forever change the landscape of European football and what it means to compete and win the likes of the PL, LaLiga, Serie A and CL, it will turn it irrelevant really. European football will essentially become a development ground for the Saudi pro league with them offering massive over the top tax free wages to any superstar that emerges. People can equate that to what big clubs have done before if they would like... but I think it is a far far bigger problem than Bayern picking up Lewandowski for free.

I want to see the best players in the world line up for the most prestigious clubs, not tax haven clubs that are run by an oil state for their own vanity / image washing.

(The more likely outcome and just as devastating to football imo)

2 - Saudi are preparing themselves to have 4 teams entered into the Super League. And once the European clubs see the money being spent by Saudi and them unable to compete they will push through the Super league as a last resort means of protecting their own status. We end up at the super league before the end of the decade and then Man Utd and Liverpool etc.. play almost as many games in Saudi Arabia, USA and so on as they do in Manchester or Liverpool. Maybe more.

Saudi ends up with a nice slice of the pie and gets to pit their nothing clubs against the worlds best because they came in with their big pockets of cash and said if you don't let us in we'll just take everything away from you. See PGA in golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

Its a sickening development to be honest. Players, who are already multi-millionaires, moving to a vile country to play in a below standard league for more money than they'll ever be able to spend. I hope the whole thing fails miserably and I wish nothing but bad luck for anyone who goes there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Didn't we hear all the same concerns in the last decade about the Chinese taking over the game with huge contracts?

And even though I don't follow it much I really don't hear anything about the Chinese league these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

It's frustrating to see people say things like (big clubs have always come in for players and bought them, this is no different). It's very different!!

I said this in the transfer thread. And you are taking it completely out of context. It was said in response to a post complaining about the Saudis unsettling players with the promise of big contracts. Which is the exact same thing as other big clubs do. The rest of your post is valid which makes you misrepresenting people even worse.

I'd assume a european super league is the aim. They currently only have 4 clubs so taking the full squad that's still only 100 players. So take 2 players out of each of the top 50 clubs in Europe. If that's enough to destroy the European leagues then I'd be shocked.

And hearing bayern, psg, man utd, Liverpool fans complain about how this will be detrimental to football is a bit much. The majority couldn't give a **** about European football. The raiding of Dutch, Portuguese, French clubs of players. These leagues are mainly feeder leagues now. The changing of the rules to ensure more English, German clubs in the champions league to make it even harder for clubs from smaller countries to get in.

Don't expect to get sympathy or support from the fans of smaller teams now.

All this does not mean I agree or support Saudi Arabia. I don't. I think what they're doing is terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I was always under the assumption that it’ll just fizzle out. All it’ll take is one players wife to be treated badly and that’ll be that.

Players leaving Europe to make wealth and do business with Saudi Arabia will be great for Saudi Arabia when it comes to competing with China, the US or countries like France for investment agreements in the developing world.

The developing world is where the future money will be made, where resources will be found, where infrastructure will be built - China have been leading with that but the Saudi investement in Africa (for example) is growing and they need a positive reputation to have success.

Taking 50 to 100 players from Europe won't destroy European football but it will help Saudi Arabia's reputation as a place where people can make money and do business.

Hang on a minute lad - did I tag you or say my post was in relation to your post in the transfer tread? It is not, you made your point in there, if I was replying to you directly I would have quoted your post or @ your username.

I have seen plenty of this attitude towards the Saudi league that it is no different than big clubs coming in for big players - you clarified your point and stance in the other thread and it was fine. We moved on.

I came in here and was making my point in general to the attitude I have been seeing online for the last few weeks!! I did not come in here to slyly have some dig at a user from another thread FFS

If you are talking a lot of the best 100 players to Saudi it will matter.

Let's for example imagine that Saudi take Haaland and Mbappe out of Europe to Saudi in the next 2/3 seasons. Then you have the 2 biggest talents in the world playing in a league outside Europe.

Imagine we had gone through the 2010s and Messi and Ronaldo had played in Saudi instead of Europe. It's hugely damaging to the level of competition.

Also it's 4 teams now because I really do think their current aim will be to be prepared to get those teams into the Super league. However if that's doesn't come around in a time frame that suits them there is absolutely nothing to stop them adding more teams into that investment fund to beef up the league!!

• Advertisement

The difference is there is almost unlimited wealth in Saudi, it’s state run essentially, at least for the chosen clubs.

I stand to be corrected but I don’t think that was ever the case in china, businessmen largely supported by things like property, which have since collapsed.

The fact that you use Messi as an example is something I have an issue with. He is Argentinian and was taken in my Barcelona at a young age. The same as a lot of youngsters now moving from south America to Europe. Why should Argentinians care if he moves to Saudi instead of Europe. You mention prestigious clubs but river plate and boca are huge clubs that lose their players to money in Europe. Europeans don't care about that.

Ignoring the awful regime there for a moment. Why would be matter for most fans in Europe whether the players move to Saudi instead of England. You say it is hugely damaging for European clubs but it isn't. Most clubs in Europe do not compete for these players. The fans watch these players on TV which they will continue to do.

The big clubs in Europe will kick up a fuss as they now have serious financial competition. They should not expect the smaller teams who they've financially bullied for years to have any sympathy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Obviously not a fan of what Saudi Arabia are trying to do but do agree with Ireland rover above in saying is it really that different to what the top European clubs are doing already? PSG and city for example have pretty much been doing exactly as above. The difference is this time it's happening to 'us' rather than 'us' being the ones gaining the advantage.

If you are a match going fan of most European football clubs I don't think too much will change. If you are someone with a casual interest in the sport I don't think much will change as you will still be able to watch the best players play on TV etc.

I am not so sure the ultimate aim is a super league or that players going to Saudi is going to be that significant that it damages football overall in Europe. It will be interesting to see how it develops and I may well be misreading the position.

In terms of the European game today Haaland and Mbappe already play for state funded clubs.

Going back 10 years Messi and Ronaldo played for the traditional colossus clubs from Spain [Both Haaland and Mbappe will likely end up at one of those two clubs pretty soon despite the cash to be made at the state funded clubs - in Europe or those states].

Despite Messi and Ronaldo in Spain the premier league still increased its place as the most financially dominant league overall during that time which showed that the game is relatively disconnected in Europe so some players going to another location may not be that significant overall. 40,000 would still turn up at Sunderland at Christmas regardless of where Haaland is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

This is well beyond the Chinese project already, and they own a club that will be competing in the latter stages of the CL soon also.

There is an attack on multiple fronts here

There is an attack on multiple fronts here

Attack against whom exactly?

As others have said big rich clubs in Europe have been doing the same for decades.

It's just that the money is bigger now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I could be remembering wrong but didn't the issue with the Chinese league stop because the Chinese government put a massive tax on transfer fees to stop clubs buying players. The Saudi government themselves are buying these players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

The difference now is the money is unlimited, these people have more money than they are able to spend, and I mean that literally.

That money comes from an actual product you can touch which makes it real money.

The Chinese project was based and funded on monopoly money tied up in real estate, look up the evergrande scandal over the past two years.

It's up to fifa now to introduce ffp in that region before our game is lost, but that won't happen because money buys almost everything.

That's a great point.

A lot of sports investment, world wide and across many sports is leveraged, people speculating almost on sports with borrowed money.

But this is real money that the Saudis have and are looking for things to spend it on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Henderson is now practically done - medical done - total Hypocrite

• Advertisement

Ok, Let me set out my stall here so there is no confusion on where I am coming from on this.

I am a European. I support a team who plays in a European league. That team also competes in the continental competition. I watch games from a handful of European leagues from time to time. I watch the main continental competition whether my teams makes it or not. I have a vested interest in European football. It is by far my favorite sport and I want to see the sport as a whole prosper in Europe.

(I would love to see a wage cap or something similar introduced that could see smaller clubs across Europe hold onto their better players a bit longer but that is another discussion entirely, but I am not of the opinion that elite clubs should just stay elite or anything like that either. )

Now, you can take that as some kind of "ah, got ya" moment if you wish , I don't really care. People are naturally going to defend the things that are closest to them and that effect them most.

Hell, I'm sure if you got a Saudi Arabian on here they would tell you how great it is for the sport in his country that players like Ronaldo, Benzema etc.. are coming into their league. I'm sure football has never been more popular in Saudi.

It sucks that Argentina with their historic clubs cannot hold onto their best talent - however as I am not Argentine I can't say it is a fight I am going to fight for them. That is their deal to sort out. But I would expect an Argentine to be passionate about it if it were his club.

But back in Europe... I have been very consistent in my dislike for state ownership in football, you are welcome to read back through my previous posts on the subject. I don't like City, PSG or Newcastle now. I was opposed to Qatar getting ahold of Man Utd. I, as a European who watches football in Europe - believe it is not good for the game.

My main issue with your take is it small picture in the extreme and then you are using a lot of whataboutery to muddy the waters on the subject. What about Barca taking in Messi.. What about Bayern signing Lewandowski and so on.. When I believe there is a fairly obvious difference between the two situations.

Your point that a selling team doesn't or shouldn't care about who buys their 50m striker doesn't hold up once you stop thinking with the small picture mentality IMO. If Fulham sell their best players inside the PL or even Europe - they get paid but also the profile of the league or continental competition also benefits, both of which Fulham would have designs on being in and getting into long term. It is in those clubs interest that the competitions they take part in or aim to take part in are thriving.

I'm not saying clubs shouldn't accept a bid from Saudi - they are entitled to accept any bid they wish. But I am pointing out the issue that if the best players are consistently sold outside the league/Europe then the league and European competition profile drops. ALL CLUBS ARE AFFECTED BY THIS!!

Also, just as an aside to this. If at any stage when you are making an argument and you find yourself typing or saying a statement like "Ignoring the awful regime there for a moment." then maybe take a step back and think about it. This cannot be separated - the Saudi regime is funding this. There can be no separation on this! This is the same regime who decreased their oil supply to the world when the war between Russia and Ukraine happened in a bid to strengthen their own position in global politics. Despite pleas to increase their supply to help cover the loss of the Russian supply (which they can do on command as they control such a large quantity of the worlds oil supply chain they can almost single handled decide if the price goes up or down) They are the bottom of the barrel - no pun intended.

Have a look at what happened in the Golf - PGA basically said they had no choice but to cut a deal with Saudi as within 5 years they would have shut them down by taking their best players and they would have been powerless to stop it. All that took was Saudi being interested in getting into Golf for a very short period of time and now they are joint owners of the biggest Golf organization.

I don't want to be in a situation where the PL, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga, Champions League, Europa League are all worth a lot less because they are competed for by players who are not considered good enough to be brought over to Saudi.

I also do not want to be watching Man Utd playing games in New York, Dubai, Riyadh so on, each week because we are in a super league and the league is basically setup to be a traveling circus because clubs in Europe reacted to the Saudi money.

Football in Europe has issues now - loads I would want to change. I'd love to see a fairer system in place so clubs could actually make it to the top through hard work and good decisions. Those issues however are no reason to look the other way with Saudi Arabia or to brush off the potential dangerous coming from them targeting the best players around Europe.

Which is exactly what statements like "Oh big clubs have always bullied smaller clubs, they are just mad Saudi is spending more now" and the likes do.

This will be my last input to this back and forth. I have laid out my points - I can almost guess at what will be said back (Something along the lines of the PL or La Liga ruined Dutch or such and such's football league already). It will be more whataboutery either way I am sure. And if that is your response to the points I made, well then we definitely have no reason to continue this conversation.

Post edited by IncognitoMan on

You're forgetting about the elephant in the room.

The money comes from a kip of a country that discriminates people on a number of fronts.

It's a sports washing exercise, plain and simple.

This is all fair.

I'll set out my stall at the same time. I support two clubs. Blackburn rovers who are definitely not competing with thee bigger clubs. And fc Eindhoven who again are definitely not competing with the bigger clubs.

These Saudi clubs should be banned from purchasing players. Any player that goes there should lose the rights to play in uefa competition. Uefa have rules against government interference which this most certainly is. Players are blatantly going to clubs breaking these rules. Fifa should also bring in the same rule. And then add the issues with the Saudi government and it is clear that noone should be happy with their interference in sport. These are the points that people should stick to when they oppose their involvement.

But they don't. They pretend that Saudi clubs using their financial wealth to buy players is the problem. That's hard to take seriously.

I have a much bigger problem with bayern taking lewandowski on a free to weaken their opponents and increase the one sidedness of the league. Fc Eindhoven have lost their best players most years. One went to an Arabian club on a free, one went to Dortmund on a free, and one went to a rival for a promotion for a fee. This happened as they were a richer club and spent the summer unsettling him. That one definitely hurt the most as it weakened us and strengthened a rival.

So for me the argument should be split in two.

1. Saudi government using their influence with clubs to sportswash. Everyone should oppose this.

2. These clubs using their financial wealth is terrible for sport. Unless you also oppose all clubs using their financial wealth to bully clubs then this is hard to take seriously. Your OK with barca putting a Jersey on fabregas and spending the summer unsettling him to take arsenal's best player and captain, but your not OK with Henderson being offered huge money to unsettle him. I think you make this distinction because of point 1

I don't want to be in a situation where the PL, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga, Champions League, Europa League are all worth a lot less because they are competed for by players who are not considered good enough to be brought over to Saudi.

But how do you stop it ?

How do you tell a player that they are not allowed go to Saudai Arabia and earn mega bucks ?

Like everyone else they have a desire to maximize the amount they can earn in a career.

How do you go about restricting that?

I don't know to be honest. I don't know how you fight a state with an almost limitless supply of money who are hell bent on getting their hands into as many sports as possible.

I fear the clubs across Europe will come up with the Super league as the answer again. Invite the Saudi clubs in to keep them happy. Impose some kinda of restrictions on over the top spending or something. Which Saudi clubs may or may not follow.

But honestly I feel like this might actually be a point that football forever changes.

Saudi knows their oil wealth won't last forever and the state needs to invest now to continue to prosper once the world does move on from Oil. So they are going to be very aggressive on all fronts until they get what they want. The question is how much of the pie are they looking to take with regards to football.

Are they happy to just be invited to the party? Or do they want to own the party?

The good thing is, football is not golf. It's very fan orientated, so I'm not sure the Super League will wash if it tried to replace leagues.

The leagues will always be there, with or without the top teams. If top teams ever leave their national league, it's the beginning of the end for those teams imo.

What will probably happen is basically another version of the Champions League, with some Asian teams invited in. Even more prize money for the greedy owners and TV companies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Chinese wasn't state backed, this Saudi venture literally has unlimited funds. They want to attract worldwide investment into Saudi Arabia, you have to make the commercial entities attractive first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The wall of money can easily out bid the likes of Real Madrid. So will clubs and players happily take millions upon millions less because of the tradition of the game? The Saudi's are going to ask the question with an insistence we have never seen before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Covid proved you actually don't need fans, match day revenue is a small part of clubs revenue.

It's roughly 14-20% last time I checked. Roughly 100m or so. The new stand will add a nice chunk too.

When clubs all around Europe lost huge revenue and many reported significant losses in their accounts?

The BBC had some fun with this this listing:

"Al-Ittihad - also owned by PIF - are Al-Hilal's big rivals in a derby known as Saudi's Clasico. They are the defending champions, with ex-Wolves and Tottenham boss Nuno Espirito Santo leading them to last seas"on's title. Scot Ian Cathro is one of Nuno's first-team coaches.

Formed in 1927, they are Saudi Arabia's oldest football club.

They were one of the biggest movers this summer, signing Real Madrid's Ballon d'Or winner Karim Benzema and N'Golo Kante, formerly of Chelsea, plus £25m Celtic forward Jota.

They join ex-Brazil keeper Marcelo Grohe, former West Brom defender Ahmed Hegazi and Brazilian midfielder Igor Coronado, who played for Banbury United in 2012 after coming through the MK Dons youth set-up."

Mahrez off to Saudi Arabia

Mane may be next. His move to Bayern worked out badly professionally but in the end financially all will be well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Benzema and Kante are also Muslim

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

They will live in compounds and won't have to follow the same laws as the rest. They wouldn't go there if this was not the case.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Mod: two posts deleted, a players faith may be mentioned in passing but we can't have posts that attack that faith.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Don't know anything about the Saudi League but was wondering if they compete with each other for players, or is there some sort of gentleman's agreement?

Take mbappe for example. He is the No1 player in the world in terms of desirability.

Yet only 1 Saudi club is linked with an offer. Why are the others not interested, if they are mega wealthy too??

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Ramasun

Crowds are the only thing a country like Saudi Arabia is missing to compete with major leagues in Europe.

They're in a sweet spot for time zones between established European and huge potential Asian soccer audiences.

If they find a way to fill stadiums and create atmosphere it could take off like the PL in the 1990's. It's money first in this game.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

They (or the four clubs buying the bulk of the players at least) are all owned by PIF so I'd imagine that's who decides what club gets what player. Add in a healthy dose of subjugation to the crown prince and it gives a pretty solid idea of why they don't compete with each other for players.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Wouldn’t be surprised if that’s a statement stunt, knowing that he won’t go there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

It's funny, the sky sports fella saying the 1m a week wages as if it's a big deal or something - my first thought was "that all?". When auld C Ronaldo is making over 4 million a week over there, and even Jordan Henderson is making 700k a week, you'd expect any Osimhen wages to be far far higher than a mill a week since he's a young top quality player hitting his peak.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

Alot of people would have said Jordan Henderson wouldn't have went there so you never know.

Yeah I defo wouldn’t rule it out, but we also can’t talk about those 2 things as if they’re the same. In terms of where they are in their career etc. When the Saudis start attracting those kinds of guys (defo not saying it won’t happen), we will need to look at it all differently.

It's been rejected already so I guess we will see how serious they are shortly.

Think it’s more about what Osimhen wants etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

That still sounds bloody awful to be honest. Weird little fake enclaves, like being stuck in one of those soulless tourist towns for a few years instead of a few weeks. I'd imagine it would get real old, real fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I'm with you there, friend of mine did it and lasted about 9 months. His wife had enough and it was no picnic for him either.

But I'd imagine these lads will struggle on for a year or two out there and run for the hills with their tax free money.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

No doubt it'll be a bit different if you're getting 700k or so a week! . You can basically have a private jet at your service.

But yeah, once the contracts are up those lads will sail into the sunset, with a massive suitcase of cash.

• Advertisement
Advertisement