Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭corkie

Bruce Horak as Hemmer ????

Didn't know you could link to a result with Bard, thanks for that!

Above is an example from another AI (only used GPT3.5 for it).

Post edited by corkie on

The writers are right to strike, around the use of AI, but don't think that they need worry for the next year or five.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

They are wise to do now then while they have leverage.

Though I still havent quite forgiven the 1980s writer strike for messing up early TNG. Not that they are waiting ....

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

That was kinda reasonable alright ... but yeah, no sign of Riker, Troi or Data ... 🙄

That was pretty detailed and was quite close to some other very similar stories that are out there.

The easter eggs though ... they were a fine work of fiction ... 👀

I thought ChatGPT 3.5 was only "aware" up until sometime in 2021. SNW wasn't even aired then, but i suppose it's concept was already out there.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭corkie

@ItHurtsWhenIP

That AI I linked was not chatgpt, but a version that has access to the web.

I only used there GPT 3.5, but could used limited goes at GPT 4.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

As said it's canny of them to get ahead of it now, while they still have power and studios haven't pulled the rug completely from them. And if a republican gets the white House in 2024 that's 4 years lost to a traditionally party more likely to learn corporate than union friendly. It was kinda now or never, the speed AI is developing.

I daresay this isn't entirely prescient strategy either, and there were an increasing number of incidents of sneaky script drafts and experiments that got back to the unions, who rightly said "fúck that" when they realised what the studios were up to.

Selfishly I'm glad Season 2 got to be finished before the strike cos I'm enjoying this season greatly; a nice weekly slice of adventure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭Evade

I don't really think the writers win this AI battle. Historically if a machine can replace you it will eventually. That's not an excuse for some of the studios' practices either.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,425 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

On this.

It's been a grand season, nothing groundbreaking, etc

But, its re-watchable, like all good Trek should be. I've rewatched TNG, DS9, etc countless times. And this fits. Stand alone episodes that you easily sit down and watch again in the future. I've yet to rewatch Discovery.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

If it's in writing, sure they can because the writers and actors unions still have a lot of control and sway.

The problem might be studios, because the obvious and immediate recourse if they wanna shoot an AI script is to ... simply go to a country where the local union doesn't care or account for that. I suspect this won't be the last Strike we hear about.

Agreed; I could see myself rewatching some episodes 'cos they have a happy mix between character development and standalone adventure. With some genuinely neat-o twists on classic Trek story types.

That's sort of what I meant. The union can mandate all they want but if AI is putting out adequate scripts the writing's on the wall for writers.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,985 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I think there was issues around using AI to generate likenesses of actors as well? We've seen a bit of dead actors appearing posthumously through deepfakes recently. I saw David Yost (the original Blue power ranger) posted recently on Twitter that David Fielding was paid an absolute pittance for a couple of hours filming Zordan for Power Rangers and then that footage was re-used for several seasons afterwards with Fielding not being compensated. Deepfakes advancement will probably lead to far more of that carry-on if not nipped in the bud. The only way to put a stop to that shenanigans is for actors to group together and refuse to agree to such terms in their contracts.

That's a separate issue but one that's easier to address with likeness rights and such. Although I could see SAG and such striking when 100% AI generated actors become more prevalent.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Sure wasn't Enterprise navigated by an AI and wasn't Voyager's Chief Medical Officer an AI?

Data was the operations officer not the navigator.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Clip for the crossover episode, looks fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,425 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

All Eyes On Rafah

Of the many tropes and facets Strange New Worlds remembered about Trek, I respect they also noted Trek had no problems or qualms about an open comedy episode. Now; the comedy itself wasn't always very funny, or good, but it was always a fun diversion or change of pace.

Might still take a moment to get used to the live-action versions of these characters not speaking at a million MPH.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

This

I just rewatched season 1 and it really stands up

• Advertisement

So apparently episode 7, the Lowe Decks one, has been released a week early as a surprise; great now I'm 2 episodes behind lol </first-world-problems>

For those concerned about the "musical" episode, I'm (more than) old enough to remember:

Which was pretty freaking good.

After the rather excellent crossover episode, I'm feeling hopeful. 🤞

One more thing to blame Joss Whedon for.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,044 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Lol. No. None of that show was good unless you like vampires which does nothing for me so no thanks.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

The only good musicals are musical that rip the píss outta how stupid musicals are. Seems like every second genre show likes to dabble with a musical episode and I'm, just, ... no. I don't care if it makes me a Grinch, I can't be the only one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Well we had that "fairy-tale" episode last year so it fits within the tone of the show. Christina Chong is busy trying to establish herself as a musician at the moment, Jess Bush has dabbled as far as I'm aware and Melissa Navia's late Irish partner (for whom the Brannen Nebula from last week was named after, nice touch) was also a musician.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

There does,seem to be an excessive amount of quirky episodes this season with two already and now a singing episode. That would be equivalent to 6 quirky episodes in a season of TNG. It's like the writers are afraid of having too many episodes with philosophical quandries as they are inevitably political which puts some fans off now.

Also they seem to be running the spock , Chapel romance into a dead end very quickly ( if no one in the future even knows about it) so I'm not sure why they wasted screen time in setting it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Current showrunners love drama and emotional pain. They can't just write a show about sci-fi goings on. They are also huge fanfic and extended universe fans and obsessed with canonizing the above so if some obscure nerdy part of the internet says Spockel or Chack or whatever the fuk "shipped" then they just have to get it in.

I know it's not Discovery level but I think people sometimes forget it's still closer to Disco than TNG or the likes.

Thing is that may be true but only to a point IMO: I don't think TNG is the true comparison piece here from the original flavour of Trek - it's the TOS. SNW is very much fully of the Adventures in Space mould, than the codified Moral Dilemma variant TNG invested to - and perhaps informed later iterations, sometimes more than others.

I think sometimes people forget that Star Trek stated, and succeeded, as a deeply silly adventure show where space was full of sexy, daft adventures - with an occasional moral conundrum between the salt vampires & conveniently attractive space lady.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

SNW is very much full of adventures and personal drama. It's TOS + a sprinkling of Disco.

Advertisement