Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

It doesnt matter if this is his plan, in doing it he legitimises the backwards Saudi way of life and opinions.

He is now complicit in sports washing. So disappointed in him. Shows how shallow much of this "support" is.

Think this might solve a problem for Klopp, and stop him having to continually bench his captain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Henderson has left the training camp. Very disappointed in this transfer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

This is a wake up call to those still sleeping on where football is headed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I was hoping this was another 2010 china. But this has way more money behind it.

I still won’t watch a single minute of it though. To hell with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,399 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Disappointed in the news on Henderson - I thought it was going to me more 'last dance' with him this season instead of last big payday.

Unlike many in here, I'm holding off pressing the panic button until I see who the club has lined up as replacements.

If we now have Thiago, Jones, Szob, McAllister, Elliott and Bajcetic then one one more quality midfielder might do it - especially if we have the option to play TAA as part of a double-pivot.

So that's one quality midfielder and a quality defender that ideally can do a job as a CB and a RB.

£120m should do this easily.

Some of the posters in here need to man the fcuk up and get a hold of themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

If we pick up Ibrahim Sangare to fill the Fabinho gap the lads at TIFO would probably throw a party considering they've been singing his praises for so long now it's qualified into meme territory

Speaking of TIFO - Here's a good analysis of the Fabinho options

Yeah @facehugger99 I agree: some of the posters on here need to realise that being blindly positive and optimistic doesn’t change the cold hard reality on the pitch and in the financial world of the sport.

And it’s not like we don’t know what a championship calibre Liverpool side looks like. We had one as recently as 14 months ago.

Yeah - ye see - football is a fun activity for me - I enjoy watching it and talking about it.

It's a nice break from the mundane.

I accepted years ago that winning CL and PL trophies are very rare events and that Liverpool will finish the vast majority of seasons without one or the other. That doesn't bother me so much - winning is brilliant and I've really enjoyed our recent successes but I've enjoyed the journey more than the destinations.

If people want to wallow in misery - that's fine. That's not what I'm here for though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

The Henderson transfer seems more disappointing as he has served as a leader of Liverpool and England with distinction, and he seemingly has had no morel dilemma to wrestle with, jumping at the chance to go there.

But it’s a good reminder that at the end of the day, footballers are brands, and like multinationals sticking a pride flag on their regional twitter accounts, all of his support to LGBTQ groups is ultimately empty as he’s just saying what he’s expected to say.

Regarding SA, you can see the plan clear as day, it’s a similar template to what they’ve done with golf but they won’t be able to strangle football in the same way. I expect they’ll continue to stockpile players while asking UEFA to come to the table so all these players can compete together “in the interest of football”. Maybe it will start by them being awarded a CL final but within 10 years I think they’ll have teams in it, with Saudi officials awarded positions in the executive. Sport in general is only going one depressing way.

• Advertisement

That's a reasoned response.

Most people want to see a new team formed. Yes, it might be a few years of rebuilding,but so be it. Utd are rebuilding for a decade, Arsenal two decades.

Some people will always be miserable and negative, and not following suit is labeled as dillusional.

The vast majority of Liverpool fans know exactly where this team is at, and understand it's far from the finished article.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

a strange way to phrase it. especially with the Saudis view on that lifestyle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Football in 5/10 years time is going to look extremely different, the oil states like the Saudis and Qataris look like they are just going to buy everything up, we'll have Saudi teams in the CL with all the world's best players playing for them, they will also own or control clubs in the top European leagues, PSG, City, United and Newcastle are just the beginning, it'll be a case of join them or watch from the sidelines as the gap gets bigger and bigger. This is the biggest threat to football as we know it and there really isn't much anyone can do about it. A bit like the golf they just offered a wall of cash and the golf authorities caved in, FIFA & UEFA will no doubt follow suit. Football has been on this slippery slope for a while now, and we are reaching the point of no return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

I definitely think the Saudi's are a threat due to the amount of money they have behind them but I fail to see how they'll be an attractive long-term proposition to the majority of players other than ones looking for a payday for a couple of years. They can't do anything about the fact that they live in the middle of a desert and have a culture that a lot of people would not be happy to raise their family in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭robwen

Newcastle to give them the leeway to continue to sign players this summer within FFP have to sell Saint Maximin, so there selling him to Al-Ahli one of the 4 clubs the PIF have taken control of, convenient

• Advertisement

So the vast majority of fans are happy with last season’s outcome? Pull the other one

I know that is not true from reading this thread last year.

It was understandable in the context of a comedown to go again this year. It is not acceptable for seasons on end.

If it’s all “whatever” then so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭robwen

Reading up on the game yesterday Trent played Fabinho's no.6 position & Conor Bradley played the Trent inverted right back position in first half & second half Kostas became the inverted full back from left back, so it seems the 3 box 3 system is the plan going forward. Virgil was the captain I believe

The first Karlsruhe goal was a thing of beauty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭Augme

If we are doing a full rebuild we should be getting rid of Salah, VVD and Thiago this summer. It's a complete waste keeping them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

sure we may throw Alisson in there too while we're at it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭Augme

We've potentially got another 4-5 years of him so I wouldn't. But wouldn't be the worst thing to do either. Time to see what Caomhin is made of. 😂

• Advertisement

I never said the vast majority of fans were happy with last seasons outcome? Missing out on top 4 is hardly something to be happy about. Far from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,497 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

He’s been coasting off that header for two years now. Hasn’t scored since.

I'm not playing it.

I'm watching it,

in an armchair,

with a beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Two declining midfielders are leaving. Fabinho and Henderson were sh!te for most of last season. Yes, experienced voices in the dressing room are great, but plenty of those remain. It's nice that Henderson helps new lads settle in and I'm sure Fabinho is great craic at BBQs in Allison's gaff but performances on the pitch are what deliver wins. Neither Fabinho nor Henderson performed last year for the most part. Did lads want to watch the two lads stand around like cones again for next season? And for them to clog up the wage bill until they toddle off into their dotage?

I'd love if the 2019/2020 team never aged and could have gone on for years more, but that's football, great teams rise and fall. Klopp/FSG decided to allow the midfield to grow old together, so here we are.

Of course, there are no guarantees that any new players will settle quickly and perform but there's no guarantee that Fabinho or Henderson would perform next season either. Stick or twist and the Saudis have forced Liverpool to twist.

The cherry on the top for any players going to Saudi is they are away from the limelight. So, they are away from the British press. I'd imagine it makes their choice that much easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Can he not do both, Support gay rights but still work in Saudi? Don't think as black & white as people make out. You don't endorse all the laws or rules of the country you live in.

Varadkar hardy agrees with what goes on in Saudi either, doesn't stop him looking to do business with them,make him a hypocrite or any less of a gay man

Tánaiste Leo Varadkar leads Enterprise Ireland Trade Mission to Gulf Region

Can he support gay rights but at the same time aid in the normalisation of a regime and culture that actively discriminates against gay people? Not me for tbh. And I do feel the same about many going over there, but few have so actively gone out of their way to support lgb rights prior.

Varadkar has to make decision that impact a nation, and am sure has to deal with things he didn't like. Henderson made a decision to enrich Jordan Henderson and his family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

When you say one more midfielder might do it, it feels like Groundhog day all over again.

Thiago, Sobo and Mac as the first 3 - fine. But Thiago will miss half the season. The other two can't play every game. There is no way Bajetic or Elliott should be that far up the pecking order if we want top 4.

Alot of transfer activity is required in a very short space of time.

I don't think there is anyone being overly pessimistic here. Just rightly, imo recognizing our already lacking strength in depth for midfield has at best stood still despite two big signings with not long to go until the season starts.

Of course he can. It will seem fairly hollow if he tries to do it publicly though. Plus, I can't imagine his new employers would be too impressed..

Oh yeah he can do what he wants. It just means nothing

• Advertisement

Jones is going to play a lot of games this season and he deserves a spot based on his performances.

We've replaced Ox and Naby with Mac Allister and Sozbo. Two players who were rarely available with two who rarely miss a game.

Thiago is a brilliant player to have around. We overplayed him last season and he broke down. What we need to do with him is have him ready for 30 full games minutes wise for the season. That could be 15 starts and the rest made up as sub appearances but never playing a full 90.

Elliot will be Sozbos backup and that's perfectly fine. He needs a little more time, people forget he's still very young but the box midfield will suit his game best.

What we need is a DM and a LCB. If we don't get those then we will be very short. Once those two are done then we can look at another CM but I wouldn't expect that.

Trent always an option too. Although that leaves RB a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

I think I'd go for a RB/CB if thats possible. Marcus Babbel style before the illness.

Could Pavard do that?

The other CBs we have can cover VVD at LCB.

Whether we like it or not, footballers live in a completely different world than the rest of us, once they make it in a top league, they will make millions throughout their career, an average Premier league or even a Championship level player lives a lavish lifestyle that none of use can even imagine, their every whim and desire is satisfied. They are often used in PR promotions for good causes to make both their club brand and their own brand even more marketable, but, it's very hard to know how genuine most of the players are about these good causes or is it just a box ticking exercise or window dressing for them.

They don't live in the real world so don't have the same problems as the rest of us. They can't really relate to the average person, any problems they have they just throw money at it. So their perspective on life is totally different than the average person. All these players and their families will be treated like royalty in Saudi Arabia, they won't see the problems of the ordinary folks out there, they'll be kept in a bubble and will probably think it's a fantastic place and it will be for them as they'll live an even more lavish lifestyle than before with less pressure. Footballers have become a bit like Hollywood stars, they are very good at pontificating to the little people, but, it's often a case of do as I say, but, not as I do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I may be overly optimistic there but I think without being forced into having to play Thiago every game, he won't break down as easily and actually be more readily available.

There's been a few seasons lately where there has been 1 or 2 big contact injuries in CB or CM which has had a cascading affect on the squad which has forced the more injury prone players to play more, and eventually break down long term (see Matip 20/21, Thiago, Keita 21/22).

When there was more players available in their positions, those injury prone players were able to be rotated and therefore stayed fit full time.

Once Liverpool had a clean bill of health at the back, Matip was fit for every game after the World Cup last season, coming off of the back of missing only 1 game with injury the season previous. When there was big numbers of CB injuries (20/21 and first half of 22/33), he was overplayed and broke down.

Likewise in 20/21, Thiago had a long term contact injury but didn't have any other after that. In 21/22, when Liverpool had a nice amount of midfielders available, Thiago was able to be rotated and therefore was available the majority of the time - he played in around 70% of PL+CL games. He was able to start one, be subbed on in another and could manage his games more. He didn't break down. The 22/23 season is when Thiago's injury problems really came to the fore and he did break down as there was so many others unavailable meaning Thiago had to start 4/5/6 games in a row. He broke down. This also happened to Bajcetic.

Keita's best run of games also happened in the 21/22 season and has similar numbers to Thiago in terms of playing in PL+CL games. He was actually crucial in the run in that season too. Again he was not overplayed or rushed back resulting in further injuries. When he was rushed back and forced to play too soon because of a lack of other fit players (20/21 & 22/23), he completely broke down.

With a few new midfielders signed in McAllister & Szlobozai, Thiago won't need to play 240 mins in a week, and won't need to do the running to make up for Hendo & Fabinho. He can be dropped in and play his 70 mins in home games and come on to control games for 20/30 in away games while the young lads chase and harry and press. I think we'll see a better version of him now again. Provided the new guys don't break down!

So in other words we have to carry a few passengers, there is a much simpler solution, the sicknotes should be got rid of and sign players who are generally available. One of the reasons Henderson and Fabinho were so poor last season is because they didn't get a break due to the likes of Keita, Ox and Thiago being unavailable. Like it or not those players being unavailable contributed to other players fatigue and getting injured. I'm all for rotation but, when some players are unavailable more often than not it limits rotation options, Thiago is one of the prime offenders. Availability is such an undervalued quality in a player. We really can't afford to be carrying any passengers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Since returning from injury in 2020, Ox has had one spell injured. That's it. He was actually available nearly the whole of the last 3 years. The manager just chose to not use him for large spells. A passenger as you put it.

I know that you have a bee in your bonnet for Thiago, but when he is not played past breaking point, he will be available more often and therefore be able to contribute a lot more, more often.

There's a difference between being a passenger and playing/resting/playing while not inside the redzone.

• Advertisement

We need a LCB now because VVD has no cover and will be getting to the stage he can't play as many games in the next 12-18 months. Garvidol could actually oust him straight away he's that good but Colwill has massive potential and would be an ideal long term replacement.

The following summer then you go for someone to compete with Konate as Matip will be gone and Gomez won't be able to do that unless he gets his confidence back (he was immense beside VVD in the league winning season). Gomez would be a fine 5th choice CB who can also cover at RB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

I think there might be some pre season blinkers on for the likes of Jones and Elliott. They're both fine as players to come in when needed but we can't rely on them. Jones has been very average for pretty much all of his career so far as well as injury prone. He had some decent games at the end of the season when he was fresh and was playing against exhausted players and he had a good U21 tournament. He's earned a place in the conversation again but God help us if we're relying on him as a regular starter.

Is he injury prone? He'd a bone issue or something like that last year and he missed games the year before because he got scaring on his eye from a stray finger in training.

It's clear that they have worked with him on moving the ball faster and not taking to much out of it before moving it on.

If anything I think people are underestimating how much he can contribute next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Jones will have a breakthrough season, he deserves a chance.

I have said before that Klopp often choose not to play Ox despite being available, if he didn't plan on using him, he should have sold or loaned him out, that's on Klopp and whoever was over transfers. Thaigo is injury prone, even in 21/22 he was unavailable for over 20 matches ( all competitions) due to injury, that's about a 1/3 of matches that season, and was clearly unfit in the CL final. He has great ability, but, can't be relied upon to stay fit and we simply don't have the squad to rotate him in the way you suggested. Also Klopp isn't the best at rotating players, tends to keep picking the same players if available, and not give them a rest when the opportunity presents, a player like Thaigo will inevitably breakdown under those circumstances. I'd be surprised if Thaigo is available for much more than 60% of all competitive games this season, hopefully he'll prove me wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭tinpib

I see Sadio is off to Saudi as well. Link here in French:

We got €32mill according to transfrmarkt, a great deal, he was poor for 18 months, then had a purple patch from Feb-May after AFCON. And then seems he was a disaster over there.

I think Fabinho will be a similar good deal for us, I just can't see him suddenly physically speeding up in August. With Hendo it's more his soft skills than physical skills we will lose, his leadership, mentality, managing a game from 60-75 minutes on.

Also from memory of a Klopp biography I read a few years ago I think his Dortmund team was gutted and rebuilt while he was there, let's hope he can do it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭jones

In fairness Ox and Keita were basically useless to the team. While ox wasn't injured much last season his big injury took so much out of him that he wasn't the same player. I agree both should have been sold but the one thing Klopp is not is ruthless. Thiago is a big weapon for the team and should in no way be compared to the other two (despite his clear injury issues) when fit he's very useful.

This is what makes the Henderson move strange to me. I can't imagine it's what klopp wants he seems to stick with the same players thick and thin even when their decline is clear. I think most agree they saw this season as his milner season coming on the shore up games etc. Take the money, his freed up wages and invest and move on.

Ps on the Jones/Elliot thing it kinda reminds me of foden at city. Clearly they are talented but we shouldn't be relying on either of them as a starting midfielder for every game. Pep did the same with foden, Give them game time without the pressure of starting every game and I think they will come good. I've never been that impressed with Jones but he'd had a strong finish to the season so deserves a chance IMO.

Weird window so far. Started off amazingly but has taken a strange turn in the last week or so. For me we still need a starting midfielder and promising CB to set the team for the coming season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

Mane is one of my favourite players from the last 20 years. Absolute warrior.

Turned to dust in an instant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭ratracer

Waiting for a signing……..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

I agree we need to plan for VVD but right now, this season, Trent is going to start moving into cm. We need cover and flexibility there first. At the moment any of our cbs can cover vvd.

If we sell matip or gomez then I'd get a LCB.

On jones, I'm excited but we still need a top level CM. We have to plan for a 60 game season. March could have PL games vs city and Everton. EL games vs top European teams. FA cup vs utd, all off the back of a LC final.

There's no starting midfield for me. We need 8 really good ones.

Trent

Soz

McAllister

Jones

Elliot

Baj

• Advertisement
Advertisement