Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,006 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

United, Nice, Brentford, and Burnley. Jason Knight could have done with this lads agent given the moves he got yet has only played two games (32 mins) of senior football during his six month loan at Kilmarnock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,804 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

There is obviously some ability there. You don't get offered contracts with clubs like these by just having a good agent.

Unfortunately not everyone has the mentality to succeed at a high level. Hopefully the lad can use this to kick start his career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,804 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Was on trial with some second tier Dutch team earlier this summer and was some links to teams in French second tier. Think it's good he's looking outside the UK instead of trying to make it work in League One or League Two after the loan spells he had in League One.

Conor Noß is currently on trial with newly promoted Austrian Bundesliga side FC Blau-Weiß Linz. Was also on loan with another team from the second tier in Austria. Still has one year left on his contract with Mönchengladbach.

Aberdeen have guaranteed Group Stage football after qualifying for Europa League play off round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Anyone remember Crystal Palace had a young Irish full back a couple of years ago that people were raving about? Can't remember his name or what happened to him.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Yes that's him thanks. Still only 19 but could do with playing some senior football.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,341 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Troy Parrott injured his groin somehow and isn’t on spurs’ Oz and Asia tour.

Yeah the lad is an absolute unit and that's something we haven't had for awhile in midfield. Think himself, Hodge, and Moran will make a good midfield trio for the U21s next season.

Aberdeen would be an alright move but hopefully they include the option of recalling him. The only appealling thing about a non old firm Scottish team would be the fact they'll have European football and if they get dumped out of Europe but he's impressing could get him a better loan come January if needed. Which could easily happen as Scottish teams in Europe are poor.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement

Conor Noß signs a two year contract with the newly promoted Austrian Bundesliga side FC Blau-Weiß Linz.

Mipo Odubeko signs a two year contract with recently relegated CS Marítimo who spent the last 38 years in the Portuguese top tier. Last season they had the fifth highest attendances in the Portuguese top tier and their average attendance was close to the league's average attendance. Would except them to gain promotion at the first opportunity.

Denise O'Sullivan starts for Ireland, but injury has ruled Sam Kerr out for Australia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,227 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Commentary ahead of the pictures

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Just switched it on saw Kerr on bench. Was delighted. Ireland giving the Australian’s no time so far over ten gone. Game bitty, suits Ireland.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Why isn't there a separate thread for the women's team?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

There is, not too hard to find, can't link atm.

Main thing is gonna be to avoid defeat in the first two games and go for it against Nigeria in the final game.

McCabe and Ruso having a few tussles. Think McCabe will need to watch the challenges a bit in the second half cause last thing we need is her getting two yellows before we play Nigeria.

I thought there might be but couldn't find it. It would be good if a mod can redirect all these off topic posts to the correct thread because this place is just a mess all summer

• Advertisement

Last time I checked this was the Republic of Ireland thread and the Republic of Ireland are playing a match today.

No, there is a thread for the separate teams as pointed out by the moderator.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

MOD

There is a thread for the Ladies World Cup, post there from now on please.

It is easier during a competition to direct traffic to 1 thread. The ladies deserve their own World Cup Thread.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,227 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Well this should be renamed the mens thread then because I thought it was for all Republic of Ireland teams tbh.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

This thread can be used for general discussion for both. For the duration of the World Cup, please use the World Cup Thread for the relevant discussion. Same principal applies for seperate match threads when the mens team are playing.

Here is the thread for the Women's WC

As the search function is bandied on this site, takes a bit more effort to find. I won't ask what the story is with the search function but you would think is a top priority to fix. A bit like the Ireland women getting more bodies to attack corners.

• Advertisement

Matt Doherty officially a Wolves player again. Supposedly signed a three year deal too.

O'Rourke is often reliable when it comes to transfers in the lower leagues. Definitely needs to get himself some first team football next season and not stuck in that pub league which Celtic B play in if they're re-entering a team this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭POKERKING

He has done exceptionally well getting a 3 year deal. He probably doesnt make my first choice 11 for Ireland which says a lot.

I still don't understand the reluctance to have separate threads for mens and womens teams. They are two completely different topics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

I enjoy both just as much as each other.

But they should have separate threads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭adaminho

There was a separate thread set up but it seems to have disappeared. Reporting my own post so a mod can check.

I just closed it, only had a dozen or so posts. No posts for several days before the main one was opened, so it would have been on page 2 or 3 of the forum probably and wasn't seen. The fixtures were actually copied into the new one by the op.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭budgemook

Separate thread for women's world cup 👍

Separate thread for women's team 👎

There's no need in my view and not enough posting here to justify it (the post Greece game madness aside). We don't have separate threads for U21 etc so why for the women's teams.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Because the 21s are directly relevant to the mens team.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭budgemook

The women's team are directly relevant to republic of Ireland soccer

I don't see the logic. Should we combine the Everton and Man City team threads because there's not enough posters in each?

Most people come to this thread for news or discussion about the Irish men's team(s) and players. I'd say plenty of those wouldn't be interested in the women's team and maybe plenty of fans of the women's team may not be interested in the men's team. They're very different topics and just because a few people might be interested in both doesn't mean they ought to be in the same thread.

There should be two different threads labelled Men's and Women's.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Previously there has been very little posting around the women's team outside of qualifiers etc, even then not too much interest. I think keeping it to this thread for the moment is the way to go.

However if this world cup drives a big increase in interest in our women's team where you have people talking about how the women are doing at their club sides, transfers et al which there is little or no chat about currently, then there may be a case for a seperate thread.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

But unrelated to the mens team in that I can watch the U21s to see what players are coming through. I like to see them do well primarily as that will indicate that there are good players that can make the mens team better. The womens team is entirely separate and there will never be a crossover other than perhaps a former male player taking over as manager.

I am indifferent to this thread being used for both but your comparison is flawed. There are multiple teams that represent Irish football such as amputee games, special Olympics, homeless world cup etc. All of these teams are worthy of wearing the jersey and representing Ireland. That doesn't mean that you get too many people that want to talk about them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

How many likely Irish premiership starters for upcoming season?

Lads that would be in match day squads regularly would be Nathan Collins, Josh Cullen, Michael Obafemi, Evan Ferguson, Seamus Coleman, Chiedozie Ogbene, John Egan, Matt Doherty, Joe Hodge.

Didn't include Kelleher and Travers as they're sub keepers. Hopefully they get moves this season but doubtful on Kelleher leaving unless they get a good offer for him. Joe Hodge I think could be kept around the Wolves squad again this season with Neves and Moutinho now gone. Not sure if I'm forgetting anyone else that might be squad regulars.

Of that lot I'd say Cullen and Egan are the bankers to be starting for their clubs come opening weekend.

Ferguson I said towards the end of last season will likely overtake Welbeck for the starting role but either could start the opening game. Could do similar as last season and rotate them each game but do think Ferguson will cement his place as first choice this season. They did buy João Pedro but he can play anywhere in the front four and his goal scoring record with Watford wasn't great.

Hard to say how Collins and O'Shea will fare this season when it comes to starts. Both players could be eased into the starting XI but should get plenty of minutes.

Similar with Ogbene. Think he's got attributes which will suit Luton well next season but think he'll start the season as an impact sub.

Matt Doherty I'd say has been brought back to Wolves as a back up player that can cover RB and LB. Wolves could be a basket case next season and find themselves relegated. Doherty might find himself in the starting XI during the season but wouldn't be expecting much from him if Wolves are playing with a back four.

Obviously Coleman and Obafemi are injured. Not sure when Coleman will be back but think Dyche would still like Coleman to start more often than not given his experience and Everton likely to be fighting relegation again. Obafemi I fear will see himself as a sub mostly for Burnley and wouldn't be surprised if they offloaded him next summer or the year after.

• Advertisement

Mark Travers having a medical at Stoke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,202 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Yep. Needs to get out as Bournemouth are adding Radu.

Yeah they've also got the option of making the Radu deal permanent. With Neto also signing a new three year contract hopefully there's an option in Travers' loan to make the loan permanent.

Anselmo Garcia MacNulty has signed a one year deal with a club option of an extra year with newly promoted Eredivisie side PEC Zwolle.

Sam Curtis also attracting interest from Dutch clubs especially Vitesse. Curtis will have to wait until January if he fancies a move to the UK.

Serie A side Hellas Verona are supposedly in talks about signing Kevin Zefi. Verona avoided relegation last season by the skin of their teeth. If he is leaving Inter would prefer him to leave Italy altogether. Verona will likely have him in their U19s team next season whereas a move to somewhere like Austria or Switzerland could bring senior football next season.

Just after McCabe's goal v Canada direct form a corner. I thought of a Steve Staunton goal was it against Lithuania? They were in a purpley/violet type jersey.

The gas thing is that it was not the first time Staunton did it same year 1993 against NI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

U21s will be playing their next games in Cork. Hopefully the pitch is in good nick for them this time.

Aaron Connolly close to signing permanently for Hull City. Stoke trying to bring Luke McNally in on loan after signing Travers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,097 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

That's good Hull are still interested in him... after getting injured almost immediately after his loan started, and missing the rest of the season, I was kind of expecting them to just move on.

From reading one article sounded like they had moved on somewhat and after selling another striker they moved for Connolly to replace him.

Probably a complicated deal to make happen with Brighton wanting to make something off him and Connolly having a decent contract. Hasn't played in six months so probably take him awhile to get back up and running.

Peter O'Rourke reporting that Brighton have turned down a bid from Legia Warsaw to sign James Furlong on a permanent transfer. Few teams in England interested in taking him on loan.

Alan Nixon reporting that Everton are looking for a £1m loan fee for Tom Cannon. Some talk he's on the way back to Preston and was recently at one of their games. Everton close to signing a 19 year old striker from Sporting too.

• Advertisement

Surprised that Cannon is not attracting the attention of other clubs, and to be honest thought he might get a chance at Everton. I guess Gareth won't be calling him just yet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement