Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COYGIG - Women’s Football World Cup 23 **Mod Warning in Post #58**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Off topic. You also can't really judge Charlton's team by football today. At that time, the Charles Hughes' POMO theory was the predominant school of thought in coaching circles in this part of the world. The English league was eye bleedingly long ball at the time. Charlton's team was of its time and he did an incredible job - there's a lot of retrospective hypothesizing about how well "we should have done" despite having gotten nowhere near those heights before or since.

On topic. Shame they lost that. Only caught the last couple of mins though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,886 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Massive last minute chance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Will_I_Amnt

First 2 matches combined had 7 shots on target. I doubt I'll be watching too much of this tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭KaneToad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭griffin100

Clare Shine on the 2FM commentary was dire, it was like listening to a pub ‘expert’. The stuff after the match about just getting there being a victory in itself was cringeworthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Mo Ghile Mear

I’d say Vera will be satisfied with the performance. They put it to the Aussies despite being very much the underdogs. Such a shame about the penalty. It looked like Sheva was just steadying herself against the Aussie girl rather than a deliberate push. Unfortunate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Archduke Franz Ferdinand

Are they the women fans that you’re ranting about with stubby fingers and cans of beer? I think most women fans are quite well behaved tbh and as for their stretched, protruding pink stomachs, did it not occur to you that those women might be pregnant???

• Registered Users Posts: 9,127 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Good performance on the big stage. I hope they are not too tired after that exhausting game.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,555 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Jack Daw and StrawbsM (Fix! Fix!) off to a good start today. 😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭TheProudHighway

At least they made it to a world cup which seems entirely beyond the men's team.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,155 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Yes because the matches are on weekday mornings. I mean if it was the men's, yeah there would be a lot more interest but there's not an awful lot of sporting events on weekday mornings that would drive a lot of convenience store traffic is there?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

So what? Nobody should be interested because you and your friends aren’t? The height of conceit.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭cagefactor

Tried watching it, switched it off it. Just not interested in watching people play soccer who have skill level of 13 year old boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,864 ✭✭✭amacca

I dunno looked like a stone cold penalty to me....I'm not sure I buy the just steadying herself at all tbh...either way that's one thing you should do your damndest not to be doing in the penalty area....hands to the back like that and you can't have many complaints imo

• Registered Users Posts: 15,486 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I didn’t see it. Was it really that bad?

RTÉ are hyping it like it’s the pinnacle of world football artistry levels like the Brazil 1970 vintage, is that not how it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,486 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Even the lack of activity on this thread tells its own story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭optogirl

Do you go into threads about other sports you don't enjoy and tell everyone there that you & your friends aren't into it? Football competitions, in general, are hyped up beyond all belief by the media. Every ad has a footballer in it, every snack is giving away merch and on it goes. All good, I love a tournament. An Irish women's team has made the World Cup. It is a thing to be celebrated. This thread is for people who are rooting for them and proud of their achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭naughtyboy

If you are going to play a defensive game than you need pace to counter on the break, Mccabe and Payne were simply playing way too deep. Mccabe needs to play alongside osullivan on the left and Payne needs to play upfront because her high energy can put pressure on the opposing backs. At times today the aussies were playing their way out way too easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭waywill1966

Did anyone say it yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Do you think they will make any changes for the Canada game?

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Shank Williams

Plenty watching/keeping an eye on it in my workplace- lads and ladies

ya just know half the lads getting digs in on this thread are lads picked last at school

In a way they’ve been shafted by the time difference let’s see what happens if they somehow get out of group- game on a Sunday if they do

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭naughtyboy

I hope so , there is no point playing a defensive game where all you do is defend and chase players.

Being fair we showed way too much respect to Australia and when we chased the game we played alot better.

I would start Caldwell, place connolly in front of the back 3, drop Littlejohn, and positionally switch both mccabe with sheva and Payne with farrelly.

The Irish girls need to control the middle better against Canada, pack it more and sheva farrelly osullivan and connolly I think it would work better

• Registered Users Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

I really don't get the minority posters criticism of the team, even resorting to dragging up a nonsense about sectarian songs, just pathetic.

🙈🙉🙊

I didn’t know it but seemingly Canada are the No1 team in the world. Tough group .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,380 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Not number one by any means. Thats the USA by a wide margin. Canada are 7th. They did win the Olympic tournament though, maybe some media you read interpreted that as best in the world?

It is a slightly unfortunate draw for Ireland team-wise as Australia (ranked 10th in women's) and Canada would generally be a soft draw in Men's football which to a certain extent is the prism we look through. If we had drawn say Brazil and Italy (ranked 8th and 16th) then it would be of similar difficulty but those names would seem much more impressive and going toe-to-toe would get more credit.

I heard they were Olympic champions and thought they were no 1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭hamburgham

The media coverage is very jarring. It’s completely at odds with reality, no one has the faintest interest. I’m female and have always believed in encouraging women’s participation in sport but I find something really off about pretending this is a really exciting world event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,613 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I agree. But I feel they are facing a losing battle as to have a successful women's football you must not only get the women interested to participate, but also to watch it. If the woman's sport is dependant on the male population it only ends up as a pretence. The majority of women are not interested in watching sport, never mind women's sport. Maybe it will change and the generations younger than you might get this interest. But most girls lose interest in sport when they hit their teens.

If the WNBA - women's basketball is anything to go by, just throwing money at it to generate interest is not the way to go. it is still a laughing stock after well over twenty years despite being heavily subsidised by the male NBA - the main demographic that follow women's basketball are middle aged men. And the crowds are very low.

The reality is bar tennis all year round (which is an outlier IMO) for women's events - the tickets have to given away for free/cheap to get a crowd. It does not generate interest nor do majority of sports supporters take it seriously. But I suppose they have to at least look like they are doing something - equality so on and so forth.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Advertisement