Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,582 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

C’mon, having an opinion on his game which isn’t always positive would only be considered trolling by the most narrow minded who think he should be immune from criticism. Grow up, this isn’t the school yard, people are allowed to have differing views.

I have praised him when he played well, criticised him when his poor play is beyond the boundaries of just having an off day, like the repeated missing of greens with wedges or lack of focus on the greens. Whether his mentality is suspect is for more informed people than me, but if he thinks he needs the help of a sports psychologist, who am I to argue with him.

It’s the same old ding dong here, some posters get all stroppy because others are less effusive in their praise, or more inclined to criticise. daithi, you just have to accept that in life, it’s not all about your viewpoint being right, it’s ok for others to have a different viewpoint on Mcilroy, that isn’t trolling, even jealous little school kids learn those lessons when they mature.

Lets just watch the golf and see if he deserves a pat on the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭boardise

But isn't that to be expected since there are only 4 Majors out of about 40 odd tournaments every year ? And isn't it the case that many top players have a policy of not playing the week before a major ?

Post edited by boardise on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi7

Exactly my point.

Also the chances of any player winning any week are low enough, so that the chances of one player winning one week & winning a major the following week are by definition lowered by that amount, e.g.

Odds of winning the week before tournament × odds of winning a major = % likelihood of winning both

I.e they are a fraction of winning the major alone just, by the mathematical odds of both things happening consecutively.

So Tiger in his prime used to win 1 in 3 majors he competed in, and say he won 1 in 5 PGA events that he played in. Therefore his simplistic odds of winning both the week before a major & the major itself would be 15 to 1.

Which roughly equates to the number of times he actually did this great feat which was just once in his 15 majors. Equally Mickelson did it just once for his 5? majors, and finally, of course Rory has already done it once for one of his just 4 major wins to date.

So considering this, I think it's a fair assumption that Rory is more likely to repeat the feat than others: why?

Cos he's done it for 1 out of his just 4 majors already, And, this most recent win in Scotland breaks his recent streak of not quite closing out tournaments to win them. So

1. He's been in sparkling form all season

2. Now he's in proven winning form, winning the week before his home major!!

3. Both being played in similar links type conditions!!!

4. And he's already won this major on this course before also!!!!

No wonder he's red hot favourite going into this Open imho!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,525 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

So I presume you are saying then that the math says that winning three consecutive tournaments is more likely than winning a tournament followed by major?

As for your points as regards Rory's form, I'm in total agreement and have already said all of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭OEP

Favourite yes, I wouldn't say red hot favourite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Some of us just don't understand why you wouldn't want to celebrate a fantastic talent that hails from our island. One of the very best golfers to ever play the game imo.

I'll be watching every shot Sky shows me of him this week. And while I'll be frustrated when/if he messes up, or disappointed if he comes up short having played well, I know I won't be half as frustrated/disappointed as he will be.

I'm sure he'll be a little disappointed when all is said and done if Brooks has more majors than him for example. Similar age, but not similar career or talent imo.

Love him or hate him Rory provides fantastic entertainment that is only provided by only one or two golfers a generation.

You're trying to find a statistical or mathematic angle where none exists.

People have explained that a large proportion of major winners either don't play the week before (Tiger never did iirc), or are just out for a quiet tune up. Or winning the week before is such a big deal for them it's hard for them to mentally prepare.

It's no coincidence that two relatively serial winners, who while not lacking confidence generally, thrive when their tails are in the air having won the week before, are the two most recent guys to do it.

I really don’t care where he comes from, and I’m not in to celebrating sportspeople, but I don’t have an issue if you feel the need to, as long as you respect my decision not to join in.

I enjoy these math conversations, even though they're a bit ridiculous. If we make some assumptions and assume Rory has a 9% chance of winning any given tournament (his win rate ish), assume each tournament is an independent event (big assumption) then his probability of winning two consecutively is 0.09*0.09, so almost 1%. However, it doesn't mean that he was a 1% chance of winning this week given he won last week - it's still a 9% chance based on the assumptions.

Concerning non-independence of the events you could argue, as people here have, that his win last week actually increases his 9% chance - i.e. good form, closing out a tournament, etc..

Anyway, that's my little tangent done!

That's fair enough, but both sides of it rub each other up the wrong way and that's fair enough too 😜

• Advertisement

Let's go Rory!!

Whatever about Rory's battles to close it out, Fleetwood would certainly be a good man to go up against on the back 9 Sunday head to head!

How did you come up with 9%, Are you saying he's won 9% of the tournaments he's played.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

You don't seem willing to praise him for winning the Scottish Open with a strong field (no matter what the reason) or winning the fed ex cup - which is incredibly hard to win

And yet I did praise him for winning both the FedEx and Scottish Open, at least read my posts before you comment on what I post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

only begrudging them

you backhanded both by saying they were basically rubbish

glorified and practice rounds

so I'm sure they read your posts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

they are just another tournament

might have been some difference back when the fields were split, but now, where all the best players are basically on one tour, its no different

Yes, I saw it somewhere. Not sure how accurate it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Lil Fred

Mcilmiss is a mental weakling. He will never win another major. Could be handed to him and he’d still find a way to lose

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭AyeGer

He was beat by a shot last year Fred.

• Advertisement

So Rory said he thinks he played well. He didn't but he turned an average pros +3 into level par.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭abff

Pathetic attempt at trolling. I feel sorry for you.

Lil Fred is sitting behind a computer, old school, thinking he's upsetting people when really they are laughing at him.

Lots of fans of Rory here and if they respond to you they are almost all calm and trolling you. Just trying to get you to say more stupid stuff about Rory.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭Panrich

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Catching up on BBC ,did he actually hit a fairway as every shot I've seen is from the lite rough/rough,his putting is iffy,but his approach is good, probably stole a few back , typical Rory round,all over the place

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭rooney30

If you’re not into celebrating sportspeople , presumably you feel the same about sports teams . Does that not take much of the joy out of sport ?? Best part of Ireland winning a six nations for me for example is going for a few pints after “ celebrating” the team/players

That is certainly one of the weirder questions I’ve been asked, I would often go to pubs to watch sporting events, not sure that celebrating a sportsperson/team would be the reason for being there, it tends to be more to meet friends, but everyone to their own.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Some great Rory posts here and then all the OT dribble/nonsense/trolling, folks can we stick to the good stuff and if anyone wants to Troll or go OT take it elsewhere or PM it out, thanks all

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Musicrules

Rory did well to get back to even and he was unbelievable last week on the final few holes. Only a few players could have done that. And it was in very strong winds but, i still think windy conditions are not in his favour. His ball flight just doesn't suit the wind and 4 days of having to flight shots is not preferable to him. I can't see him winning this week because of that. I also think whoever wins will need a bit of luck especially with the bunkers. Up against the face and it could cause a big score like JT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Really poor back 9 so far...got himself into contention on the turn but has given it all back...that was a very poor bogey on the par 5

Advertisement