Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enough is enough? Dublin north inner city crime

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭brianomc

I walked down Talbot Street around 22:30 last night. Usual gang of 20ish teenagers eyeing up everyone who passes, throwing shapes as they walk around. Sure it could have been someone else but I’d bet my money on these.

Last time I was walking down Talbot Street they were attacking 2 guys. Possibly not the same group but there was a woman that time shouting at them that they are there every day attacking someone.

They are untouchable and they know it. A garda car cant chase them around there and they would love a chase anyway I’m sure.

We can only hope that they are all sterile.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

She’s a “useful idiot” for the NGO brigade.

More interested in all the wokeness and photo opportunities than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Wouldn't be so sure - off the top of my head in the past few years

-A Brazilian Deliveroo cyclist mowed down by joyriders and killed

- A Mongolian lady stabbed and killed for her phone

- A young Irish fella stabbed in East wall

- An Irish Olympian badly beaten

-A Ukrainian Theatre performer badly beaten

Not too mention feud related shootings etc. And getting worse. The trend has been there for a good while now in that area. It needed a huge policing uplift and they decided to close some stations 🤦

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Hope this person recovers fully maybe if this attack gets brought to the attention of even the US ambassador or someone like that our wonderful minister might actually concentrate on the crime issue and park all the other nonsense that she spends her time on .

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

Its a constant debate on this forum, yes long term solutions are needed but in the short term - POLICE IT.

Put these twerps under pressure and actually respond to every small disturbance, its leaving the small incidents go that lead to the bigger problems...

As for Garda resourcing, yes they need to hire additional, indeed likely nearly double the force to actually make a real difference all over the country but for the moment there should be redeployment.

We are some joke of a country, making issues out to be impossible to solve when there are always solutions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

That poor man. I'm absolutely disgusted. We are rapidly going further and further downhill in this country when it comes to law and order. Too many crimes left unpunished or else miniscule sentences. A constant Garda presence on the streets, particularly in the "rougher" areas is what's needed. Will we get that though? Of course not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Northernlily

And we have the money to invest in these problems which is the most infuriating thing!

Running huge budget surpluses and instead the Govt are electing to put away for a rainy day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭Be right back

Not forgetting Guido. https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/i-died-when-i-was-17-italian-man-34-left-paraplegic-after-bottle-attack-in-dublin/34746846.html.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Augme

It's the refugees and asylum seekers who are to blame. 😂 the mental gymnastics from current affairs posters is always incredible to watch. 👏

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

The streets around Talbot Street are a ghetto. I used to work nearby.

I saw a lot of one-legged people. The Eurosaver on Abbey street sells 2 Euro crutches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

The RTE headline then: https://www.rte.ie/news/2023/0720/1395536-talbot-assault/ - more like "US Tourist savagely kicked and beaten in Dublin City Centre attack" - it then goes onto say that he has life-changing injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Free Legal Aid Solicitors & Judges are on the Scummbags side & couldnt care less what happens law abiding people !

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭mazdamiatamx5

Horrendous incident, its obvious that they pick on people not able to defend themselves, cowards that they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Citroen2cv

You really despise anything rural don't you? It is quite obvious from your posts on other threads. Inner city crime problem, yet you say it is rural Irelands fault.

Donoghue is from a working class background, he didn't grow up in Dalkey or Malahide so he doesn't even have the excuse of not being aware of the problems

She's a light weight. I wasn't a fan of either Shatter or Fitzgerald but at least they had a bit of substance

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Imagine being a guard and arresting feral scum only to see the judiciary let them back out on the streets as soon as they are in court!

You would be fairly unmotivated very quickly.

Why is the judiciary so light touched on sentencing these scum?

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

McEntee is in favour of raising the age of giving out cautions instead of a prison sentence from 18 to 24 years of age for some crimes that should get custodial sentences.

She is a liability and has always been a liability. And a danger to a safe, civil society.

But as long as she passes her hurty word legislation through the Dail...

What’s the point in more guards if the scum are back on the street reoffending 24hrs later?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Destitutes from around the country being welcomed into Dublin?

That's absolute nonsense.

The reverse of that has been quite common down through the years though. Plenty of Dublin natives have relocated to social housing around the country and brought their problems with them.

Rural or urban the problem is that there are basically little to no consequences for these actions. Until that changes things will only get worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Long Sean Silver

These days?

i studied in TCD during the '80s, and I rarely if ever ventured past Westmoreland Street (the odd shopping excursion on a Sat morning to Henry St aside). Friends of mine would snigger & thought I was being overly cautious, but it stood me in good stead as I never encountered any problems. To this day whenever I drive around the (s)hitty Centre I hit the central locking on my car. Now my kids laugh at me, but I dont care. O'Connell St & the surrounding area is not safe. Never was, imho. Nothing has changed, gotten worse if anything.

I've travelled the world, I realise crime can happen anywhere, at anytime. But isn't there a pretty large Garda station on Store St!!? This wouldn't be allowed to happen anywhere else.

I wish our American friend a speedy recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Nonsense. Blaming rural Ireland on the cities problem is not the answer. But the city needs to invest in itself, it's been left adrift since the pandemic.

Whilst plenty of hard working Dubs have moved to the country to avail of more affordable housing the addicts end up in urban areas when things go bad. That's where the hostels are, the begging, the refuge and the help is. Just walk around Dublin and listen to the accents, from all over the country and further begging on the streets.

But that's ok. Cities have always been welcoming places, but we need the investment to make it work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Alan Shatter closed Garda Stations all over the country accelerating the Rot !!

Its nice and safe in leafy Rathgar where he lives but scummbags in Dublin City Centre & Travellers in Rural Ireland are destroying previously decent areas on a daily basis laughing at the law abiding who seem to have no one to protect them !

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭TedBundysDriver

Why are people blaming social housing? The vast majority in social housing are not criminals or scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Because even if the above is true, most of these types still come from social housing, even if they are the minority that you claim they are.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭TedBundysDriver

I live in social housing in the city centre myself, have for the last 12 years. I know there are bad types but i know for a fact the vast majority are not scumbags just normal working folk. It's really perplexing how any time crime is committed anywhere in Dublin social housing seems to be mentioned as if like posters have evidence the suspects are living in social housing and even if they are so what, it doesn't mean you paint everyone with the same brush. Do you consider all Muslims to be terrorists because of 9/11, or how about all travellers to be criminals because some are?

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭DAngelo Bailey

Talbot Street is like Baghdad at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭suvigirl

No he didnt. The Garda commissioner decides that.

government cannot interfere in the running of the police force.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Takes some dumb ass mental gymnastics to link the hate speech bill and this attack. Like Trumpian levels of non-sequitur. Why not just move to the US if you're that obsessed with their culture wars and don't import that shyte here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement