Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrestling Thoughts (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭savemejebus

• Registered Users Posts: 60,559 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The road warriors had their Wez from Mad Max post apocalyptic punk gimmick. Different thing I think.

I wonder did some fans in the 70’s 80’s & 90’s complain as much as some fans do now when Dusty, Flair, Terry Funk some of the greatest of all time who bleed for fun anytime they could like some fans do now when Mox bleeds.

Probably not because unlike Mox they actually knew they were pro wrestlers, carny enterainers , they didn't blather on about how they should bleed because they were in a combat sport .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Big difference tho.

Guys like Flair, Funk, Dusty etc got colour to sell a fued or a war of a match. None of them did it in every match which is what Mox is being accused off.

Are you seriously trying to compare the internet era to the pre-internet era?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,732 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,164 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

A weird thing that sticks in my mind in wrestling is Mick Foley's punches. He always made that "Ah cha, Ah cha, ah cha" noise when throwing them.

It was cool how certain wrestlers had their unique striking styles. Foley and the "Ah cha", Rock and his big open palm slaps, Austin stomping and swinging haymakers, Undertaker's measured strikes. No-one comes closes to Jeff Jarrett for actually making them look good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,610 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Scott Hall, Jerry Lawlor, Ronnie Garvin, Terry Funk

After watching the Cody doc it got me thinking.

In 50 years which one of Dusty’s sons will have been seen to have the greater impact on the wrestling business

Cody was one of a group of wrestlers that helped start a major promotion that got a national TV deal in the States. But on that I don’t think that happens with Jericho signing on as the major name.

Dustin/Golddust was revolutionary in a time of change in the wrestling business and was the forerunner of the attitude era a ground breaker in pushing the boundaries on nation TV.

Really enjoyed this. Hogans the man.

https://youtu.be/4V9MFTUEEfM

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭ThePott

Anyone watch the Cody documentary?

Thought it was pretty good even though Cody can be a bit nauseating with the dramatics at times. I know the main discussion has been Triple H calling AEW a secondary promotion but I was actually shocked how much it mentioned and covered All In and AEW.

Anyone else have thoughts on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

I've always loved Jakes punches, the snap to them in his jabs and his uppercuts looked like he put everything into them.

.. edit.

Post edited by B.A._Baracus on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

Maven has recently started a YouTube channel. He does have a guy running it that knows how YouTube algorithm works.

Pretty impressive with his first video nearly has million views with 46.9K subscribers in under two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

always feel nostalgic about the late 90's/early 2000's whenever i see him

His theme from Seether is a banger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,043 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Not exactly a wrestling question but since it's a wrestler that made me wonder I figured I would as here.

Watching Jody Threat on Impact, I see the tattoo she has on her chest seems to use the Claddagh design so was just trying to find is it only used by Claddagh jewellery or is it from something else?

Was trying to find info as to why she would have it but I guess she's not known well enough to have that info known.

Was watching Mavens new YouTube channel and he's got some interesting videos actually. In one he briefly mentions the wear and tear of wrestling and the effect it still has on his body. So I checked his cagematch and he has a recorded 356 matches. The last 9 being from 2007 to today (he wrestled again in July)

It makes you think that what will the like of Kenny Omega, Young Bucks etc be like in 20 years with their style. Which their style is way taxing than what maven did 20 years ago. Not to mention Kenny, for example, has had 1200+ matches so his bump card has to be pretty much near full.

Interestingly Kenny did once say his style has been taxing on his body and looking at his cagematch he seems to only wrestle twice a month for the last several months. He's probably gonna walk like an old man at 50 or something.

After Candice jobbed out in 69 seconds to Rhea last night had me thinking how many of HHH rehires have actually worked out to any extent.

• The talent that won't really mind they are getting well paid.

Tegan Nox

The Good Brothers

Sarah Logan

Emma

Candice & Johnny

Hit Row

Mia Yim

Kross & Scarlett

• Maybe worked out a bit.

Strowman had a mini tag run with Rick OShea

Dexter Lumis & Bronson Reed had a mini run with Miz and nothing since.

• Dakota as the 3rd member of Damage Control I'd say worked out.
    • Bray makes money from merch now matter how bad his ring work or gimmick is so I guess he works out even if he doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭ThePott

I think some of these are arguable. Depends on your definition of work out, some of these are getting TV every week, not everyone is going to be chasing a title or be in a successful programme. Facing Rhea on Raw is a pretty prominent position to be in, Candice has been getting time on Raw a bit lately.

Tegan, Emma and Hit Row I definitely agree with.

Good Brothers and Mia Yim at least get on Smackdown with AJ but could be doing better (even though GBs suck)

Logan is on tv just about every week. Kross and Scarlett get a lot of TV time and have had some prominent programmes (Kross sucks though).

Gargano has been injured up till recently and they're teasing a DIY reunion on socials, even before that he had a pretty decent slot and at one stage it looked like we were getting more of the Way on TV. Bronson has had a few decent runs too, Strowman is injured but he was getting over with Ricochet.

I would say a good chunk worked out overall, some were pointless re-hires probably for main event but once cuts happen I think they'll be gone again.

Again quality wise how good they are as performers you could argue some shouldn't have been brought back but still.

Does it seem like there are a lot more injuries these days or we just hear of more?

It is an interesting question.

With the power of the internet we hear more. But of course guys always got hurt, but if we cast our eyes back to say the 1980s the style was not as physically demanding as it is now. Yet they also worked more back then but I cannot recall a lot of injuries. I don't remember hogan having a major injury.

I would say guys get hurt more these days with the style.

Is it me or does Samoa Joe barely bump in his matches?

Did Edge continually spike any big numbers for the WWE on his return or was he just a nostalgia return that burned out pretty quickly?

Would a run in AEW actually generate fans tuning in long term or would he be just a nostalgia return in a different company that just spikes in numbers for a week or two.

• Advertisement

Is Cody's "What do you want to talk about?" the worst opening to promos? Cole's storytime opening line and LA Knight's "Let me talk to ya" are better. Probably due to the delivery as well. Does Cody even get a reaction?

Of course most don't need openings like that.

Advertisement