Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enough is enough? Dublin north inner city crime

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Pixel Eater

Is part of the problem that nobody really gives a sh%$e about Dublin City Centre? Especially the north side of it and O'Connell Street.

Country folk generally think it's a kip. Same with Southsiders and other suburbs. The majority of people who live there are probably foreigners who wouldn't have any attachment to the place, and renters who'll only stay there a short time. People are totally focused on their own county or locality; there doesn't seem to be any believe that it's their city or our capital.

It just seems to be accepted that it's a dangerous kip; that it always has been and there's no desire to change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Tourists should be advised to stay away from Oconnell st and Talbot st area due to security issues.

They are walking bait.

Its painful walking down the street knowing this and seeing the tourists totally oblivious to the risk theyre taking

Somebody stand up but nobody will

Government on holidays now

We need US embassy etc to put out a warning

Has any government official commented on this yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Several towns around where I live ruined by Dublin scobes in the last 2 decades. Give me asylum seekers any day over the hand down the trackie bottom feeders.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,328 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

She was 34 or just gone 35 when she was appointed minister for justice. Appointed by Martin, likely at the behest of Leo. Dumb move.

She was the catalyst for the whole criminalising so called ‘ hate speech ‘… aka, people being critical of certain groups…. Woke assed posturing and a malevolent shot across the bows of democracy and free speech…

constantly getting the state and her government into confusion and so called culture wars regarding hate speech, trans rights etc….

bit off way more then she could chew and is making an outright mess of her job. One thing being a credible local TD, doing it nationally and with such a crucial portfolio? Different kettle of fish..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Northernlily

I walked down the length of O'Connell St from Wasabi on Dorset St with my Mrs a few weeks back on a Wednesday evening. The plan was to go into Meagher's and then get the train home from Tara.

By the end of it she was terrified

Incident 1: 10 lads bateing the shite out of each other and some fella getting kicked in the head on the ground just beside the Garden of remembrance. In fairness an undercover Hyundai showed up but they were outnumbered.

Incident 2: Open, drug dealing outside the Gresham between a man and a woman, all the gear dropped on the ground and then vitriol was from the woman

Incident 3: Two scramblers with lads with no helmets and girls on the back doing loops of the traffic island in the middle of O'Connell up to the Spire followed by guards in a transit. It was like something out of Benny Hill. Tourists looking on astounded. They tore off then down Aston Quay.

She was terrified and just wanted away from the area. I despair for what is happening the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭dontmindme

Stations were closed when the country was broke, but now with all our unexpected multiple billion surplus there's zero excuse currently for the absolute shithole the current government are turning our country into.

Someone name me one public service that's doing well.

Nurses/teachers/doctors are all legging it if they get the chance, Gardai haemorrhaging members by the truckload, firemen on strike today, housing situation an official disaster. Like what the actual fk?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 routetoot

They had 20 gardai protecting an EMPTY building in Ballybrack yesterday. Shows the priorities of our Justice Minister.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,819 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

It's ok everybody. Problem solved.

Indo:

"Justice Minister Helen McEntee has promised a “tough and firm response” to the violent attack of US tourist within metres of a Garda Station in Dublin City Centre."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Thinks with her heart rather than her head; the total opposite of what you want from a Minister for Justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

The north inner city has been like this for 30 years, probably longer, this is nothing new. O'Connell Street and Henry Street are borderline OK during the day but the rest is pretty much a case of putting your wellbeing at risk by venturing in, as it always has been.

I don't think it will change, I don't see much chance of the guards doing anything about it and as we can see from this thread, the locals prefer to blame immigrants, people from rural Ireland, basically anybody but themselves for the problems.

Even supposed working class hero Kelly Harrington was at it a few months ago, having a go at immigrants on social media and then refusing to answer questions when challenged about it on the radio. She'd be better served looking closer to home to find where the real problems are.

It's not going to change, on a personal level just stay out of there and hopefully after this incident there can be more warnings to tourists to advise that Dublin city centre north of the river just isn't a safe place to be, especially in the evening and at night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Northernlily

It's very bizarre - listen to Paschal Donohue on the stand with Eamon Dunphy.

He is way to conservative with spending that money. He thinks the surplus is not going to be there is the next couple of years and is basically putting it in the rainy day fund.

I think he is getting the balance wrong and needs to spend at least some of it now - what type of kip will the country be on the current trajectory?

Ireland is being let go to rack and ruin under this Government.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

If the poor American tourist dies they will be internationally shamed into doing something

the only thing that hurts them is not looking like the best boys in the class on the world stage

they couldn’t give a toss about the real concerns of the people living here

Ive been there 5 days a week for 15 years

It is very very different now to 5yrs ago.

No. We wont give a part of city away. Perhaps your mentality is reflective of thoughts of those in charge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Quitelife

He is the one who signed it off!

He lives in a very affluent area with very little Scumm so hes no life experience of the thuggery in Talbot Street or impact of traveller crime in Rural Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭donaghs

I guess these vicious attacks weren't "hate crimes", since it was just spur-of-the-moment scumbaggery?

Dunno if we can get serious about tackling crime. With the NGO-industry and fellow traverllers ("there's no facilities") ready to condemn more robust policing and heavier sentences.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

She was 34 or just gone 35 when she was appointed minister for justice. Appointed by Martin, likely at the behest of Leo. Dumb move.

What age should you be? 😕

Our first Justice Minister was younger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭satguy

We need to build a big new 3,000 place prison,, and start filling it..

We have the money,, just don't let any person involved with New Children's Hospital anywhere near it...

If there are 10,000 people living in social housing near talbot street and 9.000 like you are good people it leaves 1,000 bad people.

If theres 1,200 people causing mayhem in Dublin city centre and that 1,000 are from social housing its fair to say those causing all the trouble are practically all from social housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭Mech1

Arrest the whole group and hand them over to the Americans to charge and imprison them for attacking a American citizen.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Weird the way it's always locals that get caught though. Weekend at Bernies in Carlow springs to mind. Dubs probably put them up to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

This is the heart of the problem few mention and the social housing stock is being added to all the time as well as ever more McVerry slums. What do people expect the result to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,666 ✭✭✭suvigirl

The commissioner? It is his decisions that run AGS day to day.

And he doesn't have any life experience of Ireland at all, seeing as he never lived anywhere here.

Got off the Luas at Dominick near Parnell Square during the week. i got off Luas earlier than planned because two scrotes were vaping and blowing it in other commuters faces knowing everyone was afraid to challenge them. I couldnt be looking at them

Went to tap my leap card & some fellow injecting his leg at the Card tap terminal, walked down O Connell street loads of scumm everywhere begging and scooters flying up and down the pavement with drugs.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,666 ✭✭✭suvigirl

I agree, back in 1994 when I was student, there was muggings and scumbaggery galore. I remember a group of lads from college being mugged on Parnell St. by young fellas with a gun (probably replica, but scared the college lads)

I personally was the victim of a random attack in the middle of O Connel st in 1998. The difference between then and now is back then, there were Gardai around the area, they patrolled, they walked, if you called for one, they came relatively quickly. It's not like that now. It's like a forgotten area, left to its own devices.

MoJ and Garda Commissioner MUST visit Oconnell st / Talbot street tomorrow at very least

Anything short of that is lip service

Sort it out. There has been red flags for years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Very few gardai are leaving and it's normal for a small percentage to discover anyway that a job isn't for them. Happens across all professions . It would be more concerning if no one ever left as that would not be normal.

I know their job cannot be pleasant and many are assaulted, not dismissing that but there is a massive sick leave problem, even across administration.

The shift pattern is also designed to suit them rather than the public. No one is productive for 10/12 hours and they are often on duty when they are least needed.

Despite all the above, I hold the judiciary primarily responsible for the breakdown in law and order. It must be soul destroying for gardai investigating crimes and making arrests only to see their efforts thrown back in their faces with the mickey mouse sentencing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,115 ✭✭✭threeball

Most of the country is turning that way. Any half decent sized town is full of feral kids doing as they please as they know theres no consequences. Career criminals roaming every byroad and bog road robbing houses, not even bothering to go 1km before breaking in to the next. Drugs are rampant everywhere. But this country, especially in spheres of influenece, is jam packed with sjw's and goody goodys who ensure there will never be accountability for any of them, only a bleedin heart sob story. In 15yrs we'll be worse than britain and everything that was Ireland will be gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭L.Ball

I'm from a "bad area" in the suburbs and that might have been true 25/30 years ago, it used to be "a few bad apples", but a combination of entitlement, apathy and neglect have tipped the balance the other way, now the bad apples outnumber the good.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭BagofWeed

People can make excuses about poverty etc but it's mostly ****. These people just want to be bad it's like a lifestyle choice to them and it's everywhere throughout the island. Plenty of scum from all sections of society here. I wasn't exactly flash with cash in my younger days and yet my son decided on an extremely high level career and our social and educational structures here allowed that to happen so there's no excuses about lack of educational opportunities. A lot of these scum were never thought about how to get on in life and mind their own business, it's somewhat cultural too, 'Oh he/she are not like us so that gives us the right to annoy/rob/harass/gossip about them'.

I lived in an extremely mixed neighbourhood before and virtually all the extreme criminality was perpetrated by our own. Despite the Polish/Africans etc consuming an equal amount of drugs/alcohol, it was our own that stirred all the trouble and consistently ruined everyone else's fun, scum.

As for Travellers, I haven't read every post here, I've had a tough week, but in fairness they normally feud amongst themselves an if you treat them equal, just a simple "Hello, Lads", they normally won't bother you.

Another thing I've noticed if you have the misfortune of living near scum is it kills them if they don't know your business and they will do very annoying things to get your attention, jealous c*nts.

• Advertisement

From reading responses from government ministers they have no clue

Seem to be thinking this is an unusual event

They need seriously to wake up and address this

The response have been pathetic

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement