Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nigel Farage cries persecution, nobody wants to be his banker after ties to Russia

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

That at least makes some degree of sense. None of us like consequences.

It's the voluntary shills for a grifter than infest the internet that I'll never understand.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Does it matter to you that a private company, discriminating by intent and design, might take a dim view of one of its clients (calling them customers adds a mundanity that doesn't exist here)?

This is a public sulk that a rich man can't get into his rich man's club anymore, because the club thinks he's a bit of a malcontent. This isn't the great discrimination or prejudice that was spun at the start, and no matter how hard you try, you can escape the reality of context. This is a public spat around an Old Boys Club level of gatekeeping, nothing more.

You cannot be serious.

The entire thread is festooned with glee that this has happened to Farage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

He's nothing more than a pathetic little bigot. He can't help from deploying his favourite antisemitic dogwhistle once his nonsense has been debunked.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭McFly85

I suspect that they share his world view(or at least the world view he generally parrots), that everything that’s wrong in the world can be blamed on immigrants or wokeness, so everything that happens to him could happen to them.

Even the fact that he’s a proven serial liar who constantly misrepresents situations to his own personal benefit only, and who’d happily sell each and every one of his supporters down the river to make his life slightly more comfortable is immaterial.

Post edited by McFly85 on

• Advertisement

No, he didn't.

We have the documentary evidence. That statement from Coutts could easily have been generated by ChatGPT it's that generic and predictable.

It's about Farage's political values, and that being weaponised against him because his values (i.e political positions) do "not align" with the political views of a bank.

You can try to spin it otherwise however many times but it'll never work. Just as the false speculation in the past dozens of pages of this thread proved to be exactly that, false.

What's comical is to see how many on the left are standing up vocally to defend corporate banks. How things have changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,488 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The bank absolutely does raise the commercial issues in the document. Haven't you read it? It's right there on page 1.

Farage has been a customer of Coutts for many years, and for most if not all of those years his views have been publicly known, and publicly controversial. If the bank were going to drop him purely because of his views, they would have done so many years ago.

There's more to the decision than that. The bank weighs the reputational risk to the bank from being associated with Farage against the commercial benefit of having his custom. While he had a mortgage outstanding, there was commercial benefit to the bank in having his custom, and that outweighed the reputational risk. Now that the mortgage is paid off, as far as the bank is concerned the balance tips the other way. So it's sayonara, Nige.

This may be distasteful, it may be concerning, but as the behaviour of profit-driven, advantage-seeking bankers it's hardly surprising or (in general) unusual. And it certainly won't have surprised Farage, whose own background is commercial banking (Drexel Burnham Lambert, Credit Lyonnais). He understands exactly what is going on.

What it isn't is what Farage claimed; the product of an establishment conspiracy to drive him out of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Kevrano

Coutts is not a High Street bank, it is under no obligation provide services to anyone. They offered Farage an account with their sister company Natwest.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

It's about Farage's political values, and that being weaponised against him because his values (i.e political positions) do "not align" with the political views of a bank.

Banks don't have "political values" - Never have and never will , I'd argue that no Corporation does in fact - They care about profits and nothing else and they will say or do whatever they believe is necessary to maximise those profits.

His "political values" don't align with those of the people that Coutts want to do business with and because having him as a customer puts those revenue streams at risk (in their view) he is no longer worth having as a customer.

It's as simple as that - If having a "hyper-woke" customer was damaging their bottom line , they'd cut them loose too.

They could not care less what Farage says or does - They ONLY care if it's something that their other customers care enough about such that they take their business elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,488 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Oh, c'mon, everybody's happy that it has happened to Farage, of course they are. This is a man whose career is largely devoted to disadvantaging other people out of spite — mostly people much less advantaged than he is. You'd have to have a heart of stone not to laugh. Every likes to see a bit of karma in action.

That doesn't mean that, in itself, this is a good thing. We can ask serious questions about the power that corporations wield over people and whether it is adequately regulated, while at the same time noting the irony that the person theyy are wielding it over Farage, and also noting Farage's desperate attempts to distract us from the serious question by trying to position this as something that it definitely isn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭McFly85

I would argue that at the level that we’re talking about, it’s not good or bad, it just …is.

This is a hyper-exclusive organisation acting hyper-exclusively. It’s a posh country club or golf course. They won’t deal with just anyone, and as a private company they’re entitled to do so.

It would be a different matter if high street banks started using its influence to ensure some people get treated unfairly, but we’re really a world away from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,954 ✭✭✭Shoog

Farage is yesterdays man, a useful idiot for the disaster capitalist who made billions by betting against Britain. Farage obviously wasn't on the inside track and now he is down on his luck, time to rabble rouse again and see if he can grift for his gin project and his failed investment vehicle. Sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭blackwhite

This is the bit I’m really struggling to understand in this. If Farage had enough £££££££ in his account Coutt’s wouldn’t have moved to push him down to the less prestigious NatWest services.

Every other Brexit grifter seemed to be doing a good job of coining it in on the side whilst shafting the rest of the UK. Farage seems to be showing himself up as having been too dumb to capitalise on exactly what he was fronting the campaign for

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

This would go a lot easier if you at least admit we're not talking about a normal bank, whose operation runs with a normal deference - or indifference rather - towards customers' backgrounds. If you acknowledged that this is a commercial entity whose existence is entirely defined by its intent towards discrimination of its client-base.

You want to frame it as an injustice, when to a lot of other people here it's clearly a side-effect of Farage floating in rich-people's circles. He deserves no sympathy, no barricades warrant erection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Farage seems to be showing himself up as having been too dumb to capitalise on exactly what he was fronting the campaign for

Or shockingly he could have simply believed in what he was selling, and was not on the boat simply to make bank. How can anything be honestly analysed when you're so entrenched in your views? This is the problem with threads like this too, even if Farage was banned from every bank in the U.K, posters would still justify it, and never admit that they were wrong in the first place.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 16,619 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

They can't as it exposes the stupidness of their position.

Even Farage last night was just trying to start clucking "woke, wokey, wokeyness, woke, woke woke" every second the camera turned to him.

The fact that Mr. PayPal released a dossier of himself where bank research describes him as a xenophobe, racist grifter but that wasn't the reason he lost his account was hilarious.

None of his rights were impacted, the fact he acts racist doesn't matter, it was all down to his lack of money/grifts.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,619 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Farage has been banned from 0 banks. He's just too poor to qualify for special services.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

If he "simply believed what he was selling" then he's not as clever as he'd like everyone to think.

He hasn't been "banned" from any banks, he just not allowed access Services that are already extremely exclusive and already have very specific and opaque conditions of entry.

If Banking was Air-travel then he has absolutely no restrictions on what flights he can go on and where he can go. He just no longer gets access to the Lounge and he can't skip the boarding queue either.

Nigel Farage , ranting on about how the "elites" are hurting the average guy by not letting them into a club that 99% of them never knew existed and would never have wanted or needed to know about really is peak populist bullsh!t.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,954 ✭✭✭Shoog

... but thats not the reality, he has as much right to a bank account as you or I. I can hate the man all I like but it doesn't change that basic fact that his rights are equal to mine and yours.

And can get exactly the same banking services that you or I can get.

Or indeed 99.99% of the rest of the world as well.

This "Man of the People" is literally trying to get the proles to rise up because he has lost his private members access to the "1% of the 1% club".

It's just beyond ridiculous.

• Advertisement

Only watched this now; what an absolute child. That this thread is 28 pages long speaks more about the few people here desperately trying to spin this as someone sinister and Machiavellian than the tedious reality that a rich man got bumped from a rich man's institution - and is trying to make it look like an agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Off the top of my head:

While an MEP, he had a terrible voting record while banging on about the EU taking away UK rights. He was actually ina position to influence these decisions. He was happy for the EU to pay him but didn't do as much work as he could have. Instead of consensus-building, he just moaned.

His financial advice newsletter which, iirc, people would pay for

His Cameo appearances.

His gin endorsement.

This guy is all about using his profile to make money, though it doesn't seem to be working for him. That doesn't mean he doesn't believe what he says but to think he isn't in it for the money is incredibly naive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭blackwhite

NatWest Group have not refused his business - they’ve simply directed him to a branch of their business that seemingly isn’t prestigious enough for Farage’s ego

• Registered Users Posts: 34,709 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Seems to me that Farage wants to relocate outside of the UK but he's well aware of how bad this will look. So he wants to make it appear that he is being forced out, instead of it being a choice of his (or his wife's!!!) own making.

Naturally his supporters unquestioningly lap it all up and are happy to be played yet again for the utter fools they are.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

I don't think he wants to relocate. I think he's well aware that his own usefulness to his paymasters is at an end. He's a useful idiot for the culture war stuff hence his spot on GB News but that's about it. Recall his willingness to exalt the IRA for a few quid on Cameo, the Fortune and Freedom nonsense, the gin and so on. These aren't the actions of someone in demand. They're what desperate people do when they've no other option. The city won't touch him and most of Europe know what a crook he is. I'm surprised he hasn't landed something with Fox News or an equivalent in the USA but then, they've reached peak saturation there as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Of course, we all remember the huge fuss that Nige kicked up when it was revealed that several UK banks were closing the accounts of UK nationals who lived in Europe. Don't we? I mean, surely he must have?

Oh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

Maybe Nigel believed in leaving the EU was right. People do actually believe that the EU is not good.

Providing services to customers is not the same as "grifting".

It is when the "Services" are utter tripe and/or scams.

• Advertisement

How is Cameo a scam? It's an honest transaction between a service provider and a customer. You may dislike the service and the nature of it, but it does not qualify as a "scam".

If Farage wants to earn a living because there's an audience willing to pay, who are we to disagree?

Advertisement