Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Criminal Justice (Incitement to Violence or Hatred and Hate Offences) Bill 2022 - Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Hodger

So the planned law won,t progress until September at the earliest the journal has reported.

https://www.thejournal.ie/hate-speech-law-autumn-6109818-Jul2023/

Comes across as kick the can down the road and hope opposition dies down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

McEntee was on Prime Time last night and described hate as "a feeling" when asked what hate means to her and “by defining hate it will potentially make the bill unworkable”...how? Defining hate would impede the legislation and prevent them from being able to prosecute who it wants when it wants, and for what it wants. McEntee referenced a video of Kate Brennan-Harding, Radio Producer & Broadcaster at RTE, who posted a video on Twitter claiming she was verbally accosted by 3 men. Though Harding never referenced "hate", McEntee specifically used it as an example in justification of her hate crime law and made a point of referencing it. What Harding described was horrible and nasty but intimidation and harassment are already against the law. I don't know about anyone else but I experienced this with both sexes of different sexual preferences. I do however find it convenient that this alleged incident happened to an RTE Radio Producer & Broadcaster the day before McEntee appeared on RTEs Primetime. Of course, this is based on conjecture and all we have is Harding's word (or perception), but people are taking a video at face value from a person stating something happened without proof and has been exploited by the MOJ to push this disastrous bill. I am skeptical, to say the least.

A Dr Seamus Taylor was saying how the negative responses to the gov's public consultation were orchestrated and that many came from outside the country, and that the far-right prompted the responses. He was allowed to make such claims without any evidence and received no pushback what so ever. "the far right".......

When the media Minister Catherine Martin was praising RTE that same day for 'combatting misinformation'.....

Public service broadcasting does good for democracy and society, and that should not be questioned in this debacle. We should never question staff, in the role of providing good journalism, reliable factual information, is needed now more than ever.

You cant help but wonder....

Justice Minister says that independently facilitated workshops on hate speech laws were positive. But virtually all of these workshops were run by government-funded NGOs and self-described activists who support the laws. Workshops attended by org's funded by the tax payer.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

• Registered Users Posts: 23,522 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Can see why Gript and its fangirls will be terrified of this change tbf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

Shoot the messenger eh ?

its thanks to the likes of Ben Scallan that the brakes have been put on this abomination

• Registered Users Posts: 16,535 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

McInerney was all over her and McEntee was like a rabbit in the headlights, also worth noting that Sarah is a lib as well so wasn't even trying too hard to catch our wonderful Justice Minister out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

RTE are fully behind the bill , imagine how journalists who are sceptical (or oppose it) would make the minister look ?

Gript have been proven to providing misleading and outright false messaging by the Press Council.

So it is you that is shooting the messenger, not me.

The fact they are agenda-driven shows they can’t be trusted in the slightest to give accurate information. You only believe what they are saying because they suit your agenda.

Ben Scallan, reading his tweets, is clearly aiming for an audience of donors which are outside of Ireland. Who in Ireland refers to Leo Varadkar as ‘the Irish Prime Minister’? Sweet f*ck all, unless they’re trying to talk to someone who has never lived or been based here.

Believe them all you want, but anyone who does is a fool.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,589 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Thanks for that insightful post, please feel free to keep reading the Irish Time and The Journal and believe the government approved news sources.

Gript are the only ones who make Leo and the boys squirm when they get a question from Ben, shame the rest of the so called media don't do the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Probably off topic but most, if not all media is agenda driven. There's not one outlet that I fully trust and I don't think anyone should really. So it's a bit remissive to completely write off something because of who says it rather than what is says.

One page one of the Press Council's Ombudsman decisions you will find The Irish Times, Irish Independent & The Irish Examiner have had decision upheld against the on the basis of at least Principle 1 (Truth and Accuracy). So, Gript aren't the only ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭TokTik

Just googled a few Irish publications and the Press Council. Looks like most Irish newspapers have provided misleading and false messaging at one point or another. Weren't RTE sued for it multiple times too? Sean Gallagher springs to mind, along with FR Kevin Reynolds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭lmao10

Two articles in the Business Post yesterday one is satire and the other states how the majority of us think

"More broadly, this legislation amounts to sheer insanity induced by a slavish adherence to all that is woke & dear to the hard left NGO community here and elsewhere"

spot on!

Sinn Fein pretending they opposed the bill is pathetic. At the Committee Stage, they wanted “migration status” as one of the protected characteristics added to the 4th amendment. Simon Harris called for migration status to be protected too under the legislation. They suggested that if any of us has the nerve to “reference to persons seeking international, protection, persons with refugee status, persons with permission to remain and persons with either regular or irregular migrant status.”...be liable for prosecution... Imagine being imprisoned for saying that those who entered the country illegally or who are in the country should be deported. Clown world.

Leave Sinn Fein alone, Mary Lou had surgery lmao

Post edited by 1800_Ladladlad on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,773 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

A trans activist who has been convicted of attempted murder has been arrested by the Met Police on suspicion of incitement to violence after telling a cheering crowd at a Trans Pride event: "If you see a TERF, punch them in the f***ing face".

Good. It works both ways.

Officials fear it will be tough to police new Government legislation without an increase in resources, including new laws covering hate speech and hate crimes due to take effect in autumn...

"However, Ms. McEntee said: "There are people in this country who don't want to leave their house because they're afraid"

I guess we're thinking of different people because the ones I'm thinking of won't have special characteristics. What an absolute tool. Honestly.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,330 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Not sure if you're using this to say it's good idea of a bad idea...?

That said, incitement to violence is a bit different from plain hate speech. Anyone going that far should be arrested in my book. Free speech has limitations.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

A frontline Garda representative, Mark Ferris, said yesterday the legislation appears to create an opaque legal climate where offenses will be a matter of subjective interpretation, each one requiring a laborious and time-consuming investigation.

“This bill when enacted could significantly expand the workload of ordinary gardaí”

In an article for the Garda Representative Association Journal, he said gardaí resignations are now running at record levels with members under “more or less constant attack from criminals who seem to have no fear of the law” and that those on the frontline fear a 'perfect storm' over the staffing crisis.

This is just a confirmation of our initial concerns about being able to police it when resources are spread thin. The Gardai Diversity Unit has 481 officers currently and the Divisional Drug Unit has 332 officers nationally....priorities

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,780 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

The guards are understaffed and its getting worse.

A lot of rural towns have closed stations, we don't have enough garda presence on streets and it can take hours for garda response as it is.

Now they want to increase their workload to investigating what people say and not actual real crimes.

Who would want to become a guard, you are understaffed as it is and then expected to take on more.

Let's just hope the people wasting guards time on this are not victims of an actual crime and require garda assistance who are too busy on this to get to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭bloopy

Probably be a good bit of time wasted when this comes in as the different sides engage in tit-for-tat reporting to see who's indignation and offence is more worthy of investigation.

Here we have Ben Scanlon again, illuminating McEntee's lie of there being widespread public support for the bill and that there is a need for it. It doesn't look good using the aul "well it was passed through the dail by the overwhelming majority" when so many in the senead are against it and have gone back on the official party line. She danced around the question and followed with an answer too what was never asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

During my time, I had to investigate a he-said-she-said "crime". The main source of evidence were text messages between 2 people. I had 14,000 text messages to read. Over 800 A4 pages. It took 18 months (because, you know, I couldn't just do that, still had the everyday stuff and other files to do). The end result? Didn't even make it to court. This new legislation will make this far more common. I feel for the current Gardai, and I can see far more leaving in the coming years. It will lead to an "accelerated" recruitment again, dropping standard for applicants and putting current and new members in danger due to this, along with reduced training time, no ongoing training, increased workload, increased anger and bitterness from the public, no support from management, outdated or cheap PPE, bog basic "patrol cars"... they'd want to up that salary to stupid levels to get me to reapply. I can't see many going for it at the current rate. A complete sh!tshow.

And if that Diversity numbers vs drugs unit number is true... wow. Just wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,602 ✭✭✭suvigirl

You were in the job, you know there is no 'diversity unit' there are guards designated as diversity members along with their actual job.

Drugs units are filled with members on that job. You surely know that!

And c'mon, all the rubbish calls that gardai deal with everyday? This won't make much difference. Much like the current Incitement to Hatred act.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Yes, I was in the job, but it was becoming rediculous so I left (one of many reasons). It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if there was a specific diversity unit doing diversity things. Not in the slightest. I know that the drugs units used to get regular members for a few months to bulk up their numbers, and where I was there were maybe 8 full time drugs unit members for an entire large and busy division, so I do believe the drugs unit number. I also saw some of these diversity officers before I left, and while the theory that they do it on top of their normal job is true, that's rarely the case as they get busier and busier and suddenly that's all they're doing. It's more work on top of more work.

You obviously are/were not in the job, because you wouldn't use phrases such as "all the rubbish calls". Not all of them are rubbish, but even the rubbish ones have to be attended and dealt with. And now this on top of it.

The only way I can see this legislation being used correctly is if there's a specific team/unit to deal with such complaints. Otherwise, leaving up to the frontline Gardai, it won't work or be used correctly. And as we know, we don't have enough Gardai at the moment so creating a new unit will take away from the other units, leaving somewhere else shorter than they already were.

But, you don't need to listen to me. You have the official Garda bodies (GRA/AGSI, the rest don't care about the members on the ground) saying the same thing.

Of course there are rubbish calls, and yes they have to be dealt with. Most of which are not a Garda matter and just take up time.

There are no members working on a diversity unit, except maybe one of two in some little office in the depot. The rest are just designated as ' diversity officers ' in districts.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

PM some posters on here will go out to bat for the Bould Helen, (she's a female minister for justice don't you know) no matter what and won't listen to little things like facts, or your views. But funnily enough they lap up the "lived experience" of those that mesh perfectly with their views. So I wouldn't waste my time trying to persuade them, but just remember that you're talking to the majority that reads posts like this.

And on diversity officer numbers, a quick google search shows currently there are 481 according to garda.ie. https://garda.ie/en/crime-prevention/community-engagement/community-engagement-offices/garda-national-diversity-unit/garda-diversity-officers-feb-23.pdf

I don't know about the number of drugs officers, but I'm sure you're in more of a position to know more about that than other posters on here.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Nothing against PM, but the fcuking irony of this statement in the overall context of what you’ve written:

But funnily enough they lap up the "lived experience" of those that mesh perfectly with their views.

It’s well-known that AGS are under immense pressures, nobody needed any insider knowledge to know that much for themselves. Mainstream media are having a field day with the amount of stories they have been publishing about AGS for the last number of years, both good and bad, but having to deal with complaints under this legislation won’t cause them any greater distress than there has been already without the legislation in place.

They still needed to deal with thousands of complaints, and they do, but this legislation doesn’t mean that they won’t still be dealing with other complaints that they’ve always dealt with either. This particular piece of legislation is only the beginning, there’s more to come with an even greater focus on community policing, because people want Gardaí to be more visible in their communities, which cuts down on all sorts of criminal activities and antisocial behaviour:

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/fde96-landmark-policing-security-and-community-safety-bill-2023-begins-its-legislative-journey/

Advertisement