Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starlink - Anyone get it yet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

Put in your country, then eircode and it will tell you what "city" you should put in for the starlink order

This worked for me, because I have a funny address/eircode.. Bandon seems pretty straightforward, but try and see what DHL tells you your address is.. they are the one shipping it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Thanks yeah, that told me to use a different city, and on the DHL website after I enter that city the drop down has lots of options for eircode including mine. But when I enter that city on starlink, the drop down only has a handful of available eircode. It seems the "city" drop down is limited to < 10 options.

Maybe be a bit creative ? Choose an eircode that is available under Bandon, then put in your own eircode and proper address in the "shipping address" and "shipping address line 2" boxes and hope local postman understands, or call DHL afterwards and ask them to update ?

I had the same issue 9 days ago and wrote to support- still waiting.. so that is not an option I would say. Thankfully I got sorted with the DHL tool.

Yeah that might be my only option. It seems crazy that I'll have to entered a wrong eircode and put the right one into a different space on the address. Dont like taking a chance like that on a €300 delivery!

How did you fix with DHL? Did they email you before the delivery and you were able to change it?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,544 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Did you try the Google Plus code for your address? Works any time I use it and my brother had no issues when ordering using the Plus code to find his address.

• Advertisement

I can use the plus code when searching for service address, but the shipping address is where I'm having issues and that doesnt take a plus code.

The City field seems to be the issue. Right now no matter what city I enter it limits the drop down to 10 eircodes , so it seems impossible for anyone to properly enter their eircode.

Could anyone quickly test it out? Make sure I ain't going mad. I've tried several browsers and incognito mode and still the same.

This is what I see when in enter Bandon in the city field. Dropdown comes up with list of eircode but only 10 in that list:

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

nope. the sky bracket wont support anything other than the sky dish. get two T type wall brackets for freetv.ie and a short piece on 2 inch tubing pole to get you over the gutter. then buy whats called a "shelley clamp " from any local tv shop. this clamp marries your 2 inch pole to the pole of the SL.

if you look back on this thread you will find my install using this clamp and pole method.

I found my DHL address with my eircode in that tool and it let me put that into the order, so I didn't need to intervene.

For my order DHL sent it to Ireland and I could track until it was sent off to Ireland .. 4 days nothing and then postman delivered. I did then go back to DHL tracking page and saw an an post tracking number, but that was defo not there the night before..

So I got it delivered by an post in the end. My neighbour got it delivered by DHL hemselves , and they actually called him to confirm address ( this was 6 months ago or so).

Do you have family or friends nearby with an address that works on the starlink order page ? Just use that ?

and you are not crazy.. I double checked for you and get the same. Obviously a webpage design issue, but not one that is likely going to be fixed by tomorrow.

Thanks for checking and confirming I'm not going mad. With only 10 eircodes available to select per City I can't enter any valid address that belongs to someone I know.

I might just chance it with a random eircode linked to Bandon and put my own eircode into 2 of the other fields. That will surely prompt DHL to ring me

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Fantana2

I’ve just moved to a house without fibre broadband, the national broadband plan says it’s scheduled Oct-Dec 2023. Any downside to renting Starlink for the next few months/ end of the year?

6.96kwp South facing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

perhaps cost and install , depending how you located in relation to mobile providers....

Order placed last night and logged a support ticket, which they responded to and changed my address and entered the right eircode, so all good. Thanks for your help.

Dishy has already shipped and seems to be coming from Germany?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

eirlink’s install with the pole and shelley clamp is quite early in the thread so to save anyone else’s time looking for it, here is the link

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Waffleon

Its on their website. Click - Terms Of Service - Starlink specifications then you see the spec for the "Standard" plan. I actually cancelled when I saw this as I had a few concerns. We currently have imagine broadband and its been relatively good up to a few weeks ago. I get around 30 down at peak times and over 100m down most other times however lately the upload speed has barely reached 1m. I was going to try starlink as I'm about 2 years away from NBI. But Ill give imagine a chance to try resolve the upload, if they fail Ill go with Starlink. My other concerns were the initial 300euro install + 40 euro ethernet adapter + 200euro pole mount install and also the power draw for the dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Yeah, shipped from Germany- you will probably have it Wednesday.

The disadvantage of getting "proper" internet is that it shows how poor my home network is. When you have low speeds coming in, you don't really notice difference when on wifi, but if you get like 200-250 download speeds coming in and when connected through your own routers you end up with about 100 (wifi or cable), it is very noticeable and very annoying.. Already replaced a few patch cables that were either cat5 or plain bad cat5e and I am getting closer but it looks like my dual wan router decides to take a chunk of the speed.. so lots more to do to figure out. Not that I need 200 down, but if you pay for it you may just as well get it 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 8,716 ✭✭✭micks_address

Yeah I've a ridiculously expensive Netgear orbi mesh system and it really makes a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

Shouldn't be an issue unless your home network is very poor. There is real challenge to deliver 600-1000Mbps over Wi-Fi though, otherwise almost any modern ISP provided router could deliver 500mbps WIFI speeds .

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Eleusis

Im selling my starlink hardware. Includes a pipe and ethernet adaptor. Its on donedeal now if anyone interested

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Eleusis

Prob should have said why. I have fibre via NBI now so I have no need for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

My wife's parents have got a starlink connection installed. We are having minor issues accessing some apps eg Daft, RTE etc. I live abroad and use a vpn regularly and it appears to be the same apps which don't work when the vpn is running won't run when connected via starling. Switch off WiFi and go on 4g and they load without any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭BeerFarts

Could be a DNS issue. I use Starlink but switched over to Google DNS 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4 early on and have had no issues accessing those. This can be changed in the app if they're using the Starlink router.

Got it sorted, all to do with dodgy patch cables. 200+ DL speed in my home office..

Great tool I found to use to identify bottlenecks was this continuous speed tester. http://startrinity.com/InternetQuality/ContinuousBandwidthTester.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭CivilEx

I've seen this also. Changing DNS doesn't sort it. A reboot of the Starlink Router sorts it for a while, but it will reappear after a few hours. Webpage versions on an app will load ok such as the RTE webpage, but the RTE app just hangs. Switch off WiFi and go to the phone 4G connection and the pages immediately load in the app. I haven't seen any problems when using a PC, SKY or Netflix on the TV, just when using an Android phone.

Hi all, So my imagine bb upload speed has gone to pot the last 4 weeks. Download speeds fine, upwards of around 50-100meg. Contacted support, they advised that my signal is within spec so f-0ff. II asked if they could send someone out to check CPE and maybe reposition or swap out but they said no. I am with them 6 years so really frustrating. Anyway, I have reordered starlink but even after asking support to change my address it is now status shipped with Cork Airport T12A48X in the final address. My address and postcode is there too but did anyone have same situation and able to contact DHL/ an post to rectify address?? Any advice here? Thanks.

Are you sure it's going to the wrong eircode? I had the same issue and got support to change my eircode. They said they did but on the order status on starlink website it still says the wrong eircode.

But I've got the DHL tracking now and in that tracking you can input your postcode to find out the exact destination. In here only my correct eircode is working so it does look like my order has the correct eircode.

Below is what happens when I enter the incorrect eircode in the tracking site

Not yet, Still seems to be in Germany as of yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 crawley1

Ive just got starlink works great.

only thing is I need to have a voip phone connection for those 'non-what's app' calls. I have no land line, and fringe to no mobile signal. can I turn my internet into a phone that makes ordinary mobile calls plus emergency srevices

Advertisement