Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Looks like the comments are being made for attention-seeking. Taxing gaming services and streaming services would terminate the careers of the politicians who tried it. FF is already in trouble in the younger demographics in terms of votes. FG is losing badly to SF in those demographics. The old broadcast model has been on its last legs since the introduction of VCRs (video cassette recorders) and to some extent, tape recorders, in the 1970s. That gave the end-user control over the schedule and changed the broadcast model from a synchronous one where people had to watch or listen to programmes when they were broadcast to an asynchronous one where the audience could record the programme and watch it later. Then came the digital video recorders. Now, there's streaming.

According to the record companies, tape recording was killing music. It didn't. According to the studios, pirate video sales were killing studios. They didn't. Now, streaming is supposed to be killing broadcast. It hasn't. The difference between RTE and services like Netflix and Prime is that people pay for Netflix and Prime because they want them not because they are forced to pay. RTE has to innovate or die.

The problem for RTE specifically with Tubridy and the other zelebrities is that, to paraphrase Johnson, what is good is not original and what is original is not good. Unless RTE resolves this problem and the financial side of things, it faces becoming more unpopular and more irrelevant. RTE has a lot of historical content that it could use if the RTE Player wasn't so iffy. Even LLS from the Gaybo era would be far more interesting than those from the execrable Tubridy era.

Regards...jmcc

Joe Brolly Part 1 - first 12 minutes...

A black fund - accountant forensic term

Off the books

No mention of RTE

Different jurisdiction

RTE totally compromised once that was opened.

Its worth the listen...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Karppi

It's enough to wear you out completely, and disappoint the other half!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭RoTelly

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Karppi

Looking at your words, "off the books", Niamh of NKM (the lady with the chauffeur driven car) has in her bio that she has "a background in events and below the line marketing."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

The thing is, I think in the future Forbes could still potentially come back and throw a spanner in the works on this whole thing. It will be interesting to see if the PAC at some point compels her to appear before them. If she did the Oireachtas TV ratings would go through the roof again. Ryan may even leave poo poo stains on his RTE Radio podcast, I mean Radio 1 studio chair.

It ensures that people who have no intention of paying a TV licence but complain incessantly about RTÉ pay their fair share. We don’t get to pick and choose what taxes, fees and licences we want to pay, and this should be the case here.

I think a tax on the streamers and computer game services should also be implemented to further fund PSB.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

He currently has no contract. He's in the same boat as everyone else in Ireland not having a contract with RTE. Should the rest of us also sue RTE because we aren't currently employed by them? He's unemployed through his own fault. Generally being a d*ck to your employer, bad mouthing them and doing everything to undermine them will lead to that.

He's a very talented broadcaster allegedly. He should have no problem getting a job with someone else. I'm surprised he hasn't been snapped up already if he is so talented!

Tubridy has also been incredibly stupid. How on earth did he and NK think they'd get away with all this, and why is he still refusing to hand back the 150k which is what will probably prevent him from being rehired by RTE.

Brolly & Fanning complaints about interruptions on Part 1.

One lad has a 3.4GHz processor in his brain the other 800MHz.

One is quicker than other - I'm not judging the quality of the questions and answers just the speed of thought and focus.

yes arrogance too. Alpha male buzz too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,763 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I relented and listened to the Free State podcast. Why is Dion Fanning on it at all? It's basically Brolly interviewing himself. It's very annoying to listen to with Brolly constantly talking over the other man. I also found it distasteful the way he insulted the co host at the beginning. I will concede he did make some interesting points, but I would have no great desire to listen to future podcasts he is involved in.

• Advertisement

______

Yesterday

I see all of that but sieving all the shite aside I just want what is distilled.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,763 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I can't see any of that happening, unless the Guards get involved Forbes won't be talking.

No, but you don’t eat the elephant all at once. Funding for Public Service Broadcasting needs to happen and it’s not fair that some people just decide not to pay it. The social contract doesn’t allow that.

Reform and improved oversight needs to happen but I don’t see why they both need to happen at exactly the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Kevin Bakhurst made a point of saying he needed to talk to people in RTE before deciding on what to do with Tubridy. Is there any evidence he did that, or was it just for show?

Has he asked the opinions of Tubridys former or future colleagues or taken an informal poll of opinion in RTE? Doesn't sound like he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Fairness?

Social contract?

The irony of this coming from the loudest Tubridy supporter on here. 😘

Dont trust him and his big dopey head. YES man.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Do you expect Bakhurst to talk to the tea lady or the janitors? When he says he needs to talk to people in RTE, he means the board, the legal department and the finance department.

So lets start with the reform and improved oversight first and then the funding issue.

The license fee payer did not break this social contract. RTÉ came to us cap in hand begging for more money, every year, failed to explain their future plans with that money, and then went out and used their power to gain money for themselves.

And the government did capitulate on several occasions: -

1. 10 million in extra funding for 5 years 2020 - 2025 (total of 50m)
    2. Restoration of the income from the DSP
    3. The move of the NSO and Choirs to the NCH
    4. The return of TG4 portion of the license fee to RTÉ in 2018
    5. And interim funding until a decision was made about the license fee

While they government may not have restructured how we pay for the license fee, they did do a number of thing for RTÉ over the years.

Indeed RTÉ failed to move the NSO over the the NCH in 2021... due to staffing arrangement and covid ... but they were able to organize the barter account.

RTÉ have massive internal problems which they must now sort out before anyone can consider signing any social contract with them.

______

Yesterday

More than likely talking to RTE's HR and legal representatives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Sure he could just do half a Renault gig and recoup that…..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭gifted

You dont need two meetings to tell someone their services will not be required ......

Looks like they are working out easiest route back in for RT...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭gifted

You dont need two meetings to tell someone their services will not be required ......

Looks like they are working out easiest route back in for RT...

"Moya Doherty is is some sort of ghastly Dana. Glowing above us. Condescending."

"She's very good at that."

"the little people beneath me"

09:43 Part 2

We've been ridden without a saddle for decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭dubrov

Renault can't afford Tubridy anymore as their sales have fallen so much during their association with the late late show

"I'm going to guess that Ryan probably paid the guts of 30 or 40k for a team of Public relations people and a team of lawyers to prepare him for the committee and to write up that 40 page document"

And you can bet he'll invoice RTE for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

The 1st Brolly/ Fanning podcast on RTE is like that - Brolly is a bit OTT. But in the second he tones all that down and it's sharp more often than not. The quote about Moya Doherty is bang on - he has her to a T. He also gives a good analysis of the vacuous nature of the presenter and many other matters.

The rythm from him and I agree with it is:

Golden Circle

Cartel

No outsiders.

One club.

Masonic.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Ah lads you've got this all wrong, look at the increase British royalty are getting:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Field east

Joe is even better than comedy. Comedy is a kind of fake But Joe’s carryon is by a real LAVH person being totally himself in the many ways as you halve described - it’ s hilarious

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement