Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chicago Marathon - Oct 8th 2023

• 13-12-2022 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭

Who is in for the 2023 edition?

I've started looking at flights and they have gone up about €100 since I checked last week so I'm likely booking soon. What do people recommend with regards to what days to fly? I was looking at Thursday to Monday.

Any recommendations on where to stay? No idea on cost of this just yet but going to start looking today.

I recall they don't allow running vests/camelbaks so I'm going to have start working on my gel consumption in the run up to the race.

Comments

Here's my feedback from running it in 2022

I booked my flights at the end of December 2022, and they cost about €550

I flew Dublin -> Chicago with Aer Lingus. Flew out on the Friday, and home on the Tuesday.

I stayed here in the Hilton Garden Inn Downtown Riverwalk https://www.hilton.com/en/hotels/chinlgi-hilton-garden-inn-chicago-downtown-riverwalk/?SEO_id=GMB-AMER-GI-CHINLGI&y_source=1_MjQ5NzY1MC03MTUtbG9jYXRpb24ud2Vic2l0ZQ%3D%3D

Locationwise, and cost wise, it was ideal. 10 minute walk to the start and finish line. Cost me a little over €1000. Booked in January or February with booking.com, so that I had free cancellation, in case anything cheaper came up. Nothing did

It's also close to the train for the expo. Take the orange line electric train. Drops you in the expo arena

Its a very basic hotel, but I was on my own, so didnt care.

I didnt bother doing the official 5km on the Saturday morning. Definitely had some fomo on the Saturday morning, when I saw the crowds, but I just went for a run along the riverwalk myself, and it was packed with runners at 7am. Was one of the highlights of my stay to be honest. Loved running along the river.

No vests or camelbacks, and drinks on the course are all in paper cups. I thought that was fine. Other people dont like that. Best get used to it

Also, I stayed on Irish time for the whole trip. Or at least made no effort to acclimatise.

I was down at the start line for the marathon at around 6am. It was cold at that time. Prepare for it. Bring clothes you are happy to discard

Also, I got a prepaid US e SIM. Worth it

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I'd say hang on for an Aer Lingus sale. I booked tickets March or April and there was a €100 off sale the following week :(

You should be getting direct return flights for under €500 at the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭scotindublin

For 2022, I stayed in at the Crowne Plaza in the Westloop area of Chicago it was about 1.5 miles down to Grant Park from there, an ideal walk down on the morning of the marathon. They laid out loads of water/fruit and protein bars in reception on the marathon morning which was a nice touch.

Flew over on the Thursday with United (was due to be direct but in the end they changed this to go through Washington which wasn't ideal, one of the lads in work flew American Airlines with no issues).

Got the train down to the Expo on the Friday which was handy, public transport in the city is really good....also got the train from O'Hare on arrival.

Actually signed up to the 5k but didn't run it in the end as I didn't fancy 2 early mornings hanging around in the cold.

On the day itself I was down in Grant Park for just after 6am so bring clothes to discard and water/ fruit or whatever you snack on before running. Great setup before and after the race though. Plenty of water stations on the course but def practise drinking from plastic cups if you can.....the pinch method works well.

One thing I would suggest is booking somewhere to eat on the Saturday well in advance.

It's a class marathon you will have a great time.......oh and there is only really one hill it just happens to come at 26 miles 😀.

Any specific questions just shout.

C

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭py

Thanks for all the information thus far. I really appreciate it.

I don't mind the cups of water, I've just always carried my fuel/water with me for marathon races. What's the reason for the ban on running vests/camelbaks? Security?

• Advertisement

Not sure of the reasoning, but it felt like they had water/gaterade stations every couple of kms.

I basically took a drink at 2 out of every 3 stops, and was never worried about where my next drink would come from.

Interesting point made by scotindublin

"Actually signed up to the 5k but didn't run it in the end as I didn't fancy 2 early mornings hanging around in the cold."

Never thought of that. It was nice, just waking up early on Saturday morning, and doing my own run, rather than another event.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Great point on the water stations they were very regular on the route, I ended up taking on water at most of them. Also they were huge so there was no need to panic and try and get to the early tables. I think they all had water and gatorade.

Another thing to consider is that for the first few miles your GPS will be all over the place as you will be running in downtown Chicago, so don't get stressed out if your pace is not quite right during this part of the route.

It was my first mara major and the sheer scale of the operation is really impressive, I am actually just back from Malaga (ran the 1/2 at the weekend) and while a great event it really was very low key compared to Chicago.

Once you get a hotel booked check with them on the breakfast situation on the morning itself, I ended up just getting a couple of bagles from a local deli on the Saturday for the morning itself.

C

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Recommend turning off autolap and hitting the lap button every mile marker, give you a better idea of your splits as running through tunnels etc downtown makes the GPS unreliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Masch8933

I got an entry in the lottery also. Cant wait to run it.

It seems hotels are the really expensive part of the weekend. I actually booked the Congress (across the road from Grant Park) on the day of the lottery with a free cancellation for a very good price but have heard bad things about the hotel now, important to get somewhere comfortable :)

If people dont know him yet check out Kofuzi on youtube, brillliant channel and he is a Chicago native and his Chicago marathon videos are epic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Kofuzi had a shake out run on the Saturday with free food and t shirts.

• Advertisement

I'm still finalising logistics for this. If I was to book a little further away from the start line, do the trains run early that morning to get me there?

No, they don't. Stay close you'll enjoy it more.

Just got flights from Aer Lingus for €440 for Thursday arrival and Monday departure. Now to sort accommodation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MiketheMechanic

I'll be there hopefully 😀

Qualified for Chicago with my Boston Marathon time from last April.

Looking forward to the training block over the summer.

Must start looking at flights next month. Probably Shannon-Chicago.

I'll have the wife and two small kids in tow.

Where are the best places that they can watch me run by a few times on the course without having to travel too far?

MtM

Well it starts by going up La Salle Street, then comes back down Wells so they could spot you at the 3-4 mile mark and again at the 12 mile mark without having to move more than 1 block.

Crowds are pretty big in this area though.

You could then head down to Michigan avenue for the finish, may want to look into some train option for that as it would be a bit of a walk.

Route is here.

https://assets-chicagomarathon-com.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/09/2022-Bank-of-America-Chicago-Marathon-Course-Map.pdf

Something like that. They will be able to walk along the river walk at whacker drive. Its very front loaded but In theory they could see you three times in the space of 250m. The meet up area after is where I've put an X.

Thanks Unknownability - that looks very family friendly and doable.

Are there any easy options for the lonely miles from 13-26? Ideally would love if someone could hand me a bottle of Tailwind at mile 20 like my family do at the Droppin Well / 9 Arches on the DCM course 😀 I swear by that stuff - I'm a new man 5 minutes after drinking it.

MtM

Without kids it's quite easy to jump on the L (the train) and head down to China Town which is around Mile 20, suppose it depends on how old the kids are.

200 days to go to the 2023 Chicago Marathon yesterday - according to my calendar :-)

MtM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭brennarr

Hi all, just booked my flights, now looking for accommodation. The one above is sold out unfortunately.

Looking forward to seeing Chicago but I’ve been there before so I’m sure where is a good location in terms to ease of access to the start/ finish line.

I couldn’t arrive any earlier than Friday evening so I hope I can escape any jet lag before the race.

I've booked an Airbnb and will get taxi/train into the start line on the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭CuriousCucumber

Have serious fomo now.

Loved this race last year, but couldn't justify doing it 2 years in a row. Definitely considering it again in 2024

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Myself and my wife are heading to this in October - we've done a few other majors but I always love going to to states for marathons. Started my proper marathon plan on Monday although I've been keeping a good level of fitness since February

We are staying quite close to the park and flying over with Aerlingus - ending up staying 4/5 days I think

Thanks for all your replies. I managed to get an apartment at North Wells st. Looking at google maps it is 10 mins to the start line in a car or 20 minutes using public transport so seems well positioned. The apartment seems to on the route too.

Starting the marathon specific training next week - looking forward to getting started.

Have many registered for the 5K the day before? For anyone who's done it before, worth it? I'm planning on doing a 30 min or so shake out run the day before so just need to decide if I'm going to do it, the kofuzi shake out run or go solo.

I did the 5k and really enjoyed it, gave me an indication of how your watch would react during the race.

That's something to note your watch will be absolutely useless for the first 5k at least.

I'd wanted to do Kofuzi's run but it clashed with it, I'd also add the tracksmith shake out which was later in the day.

I had considered it, but ended up going out and a doing a jog myself instead.

I was basically down near that start line around 7am, and saw the massive crowd for the 5km, but went and ran along the river instead.

If I was going ahead, I'd just do that again. The river walk is beautiful, and lots of joggers out at the time of the day.

I had signed up for the kofuzi shake out run as well, but my flight had been delayed the day before, so had to get my race number at the expo on the Saturday morning, and the two things clashed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Looking for an entry for this if anyone has to duck out. Have one myself but am looking to arrange it for a running buddy who’s had a really tough couple of years dealing with family illness.

Anyone know of any way to pick one up officially through charity places etc at this stage?

• Advertisement

In order to fill the evenings, I'd checked all the major sports teams in the Chicago area and only ones that are hosting games are the Blackhawks (NHL) and Fire (MLS). Both of these games are on the 5th October. The MLS game might be of interest to the football fans as they are playing Inter Miami which is Messi's new team. Cheapest tickets are $170 for the nose bleeds. On the flip side, the Blackhawks preseason game has tickets for as low as $50.

Starting corrals have been assigned to everyone, check your emails.

Last year, the Bulls were playing a pre-season game on the Friday night too. The schedule might not yet be announced, or they might not just not have a basketball game, a day after a hockey game. Think the Bulls and Blackhawks share a stadium

I searched through all the major sports teams last night, including the Bulls. Nothing doing except the two I mentioned above. Technically possible for others (Cubs/White Sox/Sky) to happen but it'll depend on them making the playoffs which I don't see happening based on their records.

Was just glancing back on my photos from last year. I travelled solo by the way, so this might not be applicable to everyone.

For anyone who enjoys beer, I thoroughly recommend going to Rossi's at some point.

https://rossischicago.com/

Its a terrible looking, pokey, small dive bar, but excellent inside.

From the outside, you might not even think it's open. Hundreds of different canned beers available. You just walk to the fridge, grab what you want, and bring it up to the bar and pay.

Its cash only too. See to remember it being about 7bucks a beer.

I went their on the Monday evening. Lots of runners in there. You can tell, as they're all still wearing their medals. It was the only place I found, where people were really mingling, and chatting to everyone.

I had tried a few other places before, and it was a struggle to get chatting with strangers

• Advertisement

Corral B here so I should be started by 7:40am - nice and early!

Thanks, that’s good to know. It’s only half a mile from where I’m staying so might pop in.

Definitely. I'd recommend resting, and eating after the marathon, and heading there. Definitely the most social spot I found.

Word of warning, the last 500m is the worst section of the marathon.

You turn right, and go up a steep, short hill, and then turn left to run down the last few hundred meters. You can see the end, and....

Theres no atmosphere. Basically, it's all paid seats for the last few hundred meters. They all paid to see the elite runners. Once they've finished, the area around the finish line empties out. A little disappointing, but it's easier if you know about it in advance

Well that’ll learn me! Signed up to a site that promises entry through a charity for €450. The site disappeared along with my money🙈 sickened!

Anyway still looking for an entry if anyone knows of someone who has to pull out.

Hi all, only finding this thread now! Myself and the wife are heading over for our first Chicago marathon - really looking forward to it! We are flying early on morning of Friday 6th and returning home on Wednesday 11th.

Seems flat as a pancake compared to others from what I can tell

Looking forward to sampling the city, seems like a great spot. Will defo check out Rossi's!

• Advertisement

Flying over myself Friday morning returning Tuesday afternoon with the wife also - looking forward to it.

Have you decided if you’re doing the 5km Saturday morning or will you do an way jog yourself?

No we won't be taking part in the 5k run - i hear there are lovely runs to take along the river so we'll probably do one of those. Also there is normally a morning shake out held by the Youtuber Kofuzi and his followers so if that is being organised we might tag along with them

I'm doing the Chicago 5Km with a few runners who are under the same coach. I was considering the Kofuzi run but wanted to have it booked way ahead of time and was not sure when he would announce his shake out run.

Under 4 weeks to go. Getting excited about the trip. I'm going from Thursday to Monday so have a few days to get things sorted prior to race day. If my flight is on time I'll go straight to the expo.

7 day CTA pass looks like a bargain so going to opt for that when I land.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Thanks for the heads up on the 7 day pass, $20 looks like a good deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,512 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Good deal, especially if it applies to the commuter trains that go to the Expo venue (the subway/el system is quite a distance). I remember having to buy seperate tickets for that train.

The other option is to just get a ventra card and top it up as you need it.

The card costs $5 but they give you $5 in credit once you buy the card.

The fares are shown above so if you are doing 2+ journeys per day probably worth it to get the pass.

This covers the buses and the CTA trains, the expo uses the Metra train system which is a separate ticket. You can take the Metra Electric line, $2 each way from millennium station.

General question arriving into America - what do we need to provide\complete in terms of documentation, forms, etc. either in advance of travelling or on arrival in the US?

I presume anything COVID related has since been removed as a requirement...?

[UPDATE] Looks like an ESTA application form needs to be logged for anyone coming into the US

Post edited by splashthecash on

You just need a valid ESTA and airline advance passenger info. All covid hoops gone. You'll clear emigration and customs here (if arriving from Ireland) so will arrive at the gate in Chicago like a domestic arrival so no further queues or checks there.

Just the ESTA form. I had to renew mine so it only took a couple of hours to get approved last week. Price has gone up to $21.

Logged an ETSA application this morning and it came back approved already! Is the Airline Advance passenger info a form that we fill out at the airport or before that?

• Advertisement
Advertisement