Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon FBA for sellers who live in Ireland

Options
  • 20-07-2023 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi,

I am sorry this topic has been discussed before.

I wanted to ask about Amazon's FBA. I have a plan to sell products on Amazon in the UK based on the FBA system. The idea is to find products on Alibaba and ship them directly to Amazon's warehouse in the UK.

I am based in Dublin, Ireland. I was wondering if it was possible to get any feedback on this idea. Am I allowed to do this kind of business? Do I need to be VAT-registered in the UK?

As a person who lives in Ireland and intends to import goods from China, is it better for me to try other EU markets on Amazon, such as Germany, France, than the UK one, considering the import fees and border charges and other stuff?

I know that Amazon is opening a warehouse in Ireland, but I am not sure if its FBA system is ready or not. Any idea about that?

I am sorry for the silly questions. Thank you so much for your time and help.

Regards,

Wissam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 cheeseshop

You would need to be registered for VAT in the UK. One of HMRC's rules is that if the goods are stored in the UK and available to UK customers, you must be VAT registered.

I have never done FBA, but they have certain requirements for shipments like a barcode that they give you to put on each individual product, so your supplier would have to do all that if you are sending it directly. You'd risk a shipment being rejected if the supplier got something wrong.

In America they have third party FBA prep centres. They are companies who accept your goods (even one item at a time from different suppliers), do all the stuff Amazon requires and send it in for you. I know of a book seller in the UK who lost his Amazon UK account and sold by FBA in the US using one of those prep centres. I don't know if they have the same thing in the UK, but if you were to sell in the US you'd avoid the hassle of UK VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 faith76

Thank you very much for your feedback.

I just have a question: how can I register my business with VAT in the UK? Do I need to register my business with the UK company registrar or just with VAT? Right now, I am registered with the CRO of Ireland (just a normal registration - no VAT registration or other stuff).

Thank you for your help.

Advertisement