Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enough is enough? Dublin north inner city crime

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭LongfordMB

Its not garda numbers really although more cant hurt. We could have a million guards but if they are completely powerless to touch these feral kids for fear of being sued then they won't solve the problems. I mean look what's happening now to the guards who chased those 3 burglers on the m7.

The real issue is we have funded NGOs like the ICLO to such a lavish extent that they are crippling the country from operating effectively through the use of lawyers for compo. These kids cannot be touched unfortunately, we literally just have to roll over and let them do what they like. We need a new political party to come in and defund the NGOs, build new prisons, introduce mandatory minimum sentences including for juveniles and get rid of the quangos strangling the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,328 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Facilities ? Look in the centre of Dublin… shopping, parks, cinemas, gyms, sports clubs, educational facilities, art, music and more besides.

what facilities do they want…. I have nothing that they don’t, what facilities have they not got ? 🙂

or do they just want.. free facilities, that the rest pay for ?

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

I have not proven your point, whatever it was, at all. I never stated she is responsible for every crime committed.

But as the sitting Minister for Justice, her responsibility is to address the broader systemic criminal justice issues that are part of her brief. Her failure to do so has seen lawlessness increase. She is not alone in this. Drew Harris must shoulder a lot of responsibility too. Neither are fit for purpose.

The three things we need now are:

1. At least one new prison of 1,000-1,500 capacity to be built no matter what the cost within the next 3-5 years. We're going to need a new one soon due to overcrowding at Mountjoy and threats of EU Human Rights violations there anyway.
    2. Serious reform of sentencing for violent offences. Mandatory minimum sentences with no possibility of judicial discretion attached. So no letter from GAA/Priest etc. No "Sure I was drunk/on drugs/have ADHD/have had a Hard life/filled with remorse/money for the poor box" mitigation.
    3. Proactive recruitment for AGS. If that means paying them what Graduates at Banks or Consulting companies etc get when they first join, so be it. Make it an actual career that people want to join because they see it as a future career path. Increase the physical requirements too. Both in terms of fitness and height.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,884 ✭✭✭amacca

I'd be in favour of making the jails very unappealing places to go to tbh...and don't spend any money on new ones.

Enforce the laws we have, no need for new ones.

There's too much resources/money/time poured into making the problem worse...if it was put into enforcement and consequences it would clear up in no time....people should be afraid to commit crime not increasingly emboldened...

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭RickBlaine

How would people feel about being allowed to carry pepper spray for personal protection like in other countries? This was brought up back in 2015 and Francis Fitzgerald dismissed the idea by saying "The protection of life and property is a function of the Garda Síochána". But the Garda are clearly no longer successfully fulfilling this duty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

They're unsightly indeed, but people seem to be mixing up junkies with violent thugs with no regard for life or consequences of their actions. The people who left our American friend in intensive care aren't junkies - they're more likely to be be drug dealers if anything. They're the new up-and-coming youth of our inner city given free reign of the streets during Covid and now with no Garda deterrent, they're just continuing on with whatever takes their fancy.

Post edited by newmember2 on

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Id say make the prison bigger 4000 + capacity. Theres currently around 4000 people in prison - by proper policing and sentencing strategy I recon that the numbers would double.

Also add to that list that a 3 / 5 / 7 / 10 strikes and youre out policy - life sentence without parole. No more scum walking around with hundreds of convictions. If youre stupid enough to get caught multiple times then you deserve to not be part of society anymore.

Arm the Garda - and not just tasers - give them guns - its time to seriously look at this. Give them legal immunity from being prosecuted for carrying out their job up to a point. The Garda have lost the respect of the public completely and especially in the younger generations who know they`ll get a slap on the wrist and get either a caution or minimal or no jail time. In my younger days we were terrified of the garda - thats gone now and there no respect for them anymore.

Concurrent sentencing has to go - consecutive all the way - keep the scum in jail.

The justice system needs a serious over haul and if it means referenda to change the constitution then so be it - but there doesnt seem to be anyone willing to tackle it in government.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Citizens should be allowed to protect themselves by whatever means possible and Id even include handguns for personal protection. If the Garda Siochana were actually carrying out "The protection of life and property" that Francis Fitzgerald says is their function then there would be no need to have to protect yourself but they arent doing that so we should be allowed to have a self defence doctrine by any means possible. Scummy little teenagers faced with a handgun would absolutely **** themselves - their hard man image wouldnt last long.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

No qualified immunity for government armed forces?

Cop on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

Scummy little teenagers faced with a handgun would absolutely **** themselves - their hard man image wouldnt last long.

Until they come back next time with a bigger one...

...obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Working very very close to Talbot St I'm wary of walking down there during the day never mind at night

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭McFly85

Having to walk though Abbey St and Talbot St every day for the last 10 years, there’s no doubt that the city has gotten a lot worse. Open drug using, gangs of scrotes everywhere, no Garda presence.

The fact that the government are happy to have hotel after hotel built in those areas but don’t actually police them is negligent in the extreme. What is the point of trying to get tourists here if we’re just going to make them feel unsafe?

And just generally, our government don’t seem capable of providing required public services. I can’t believe they talk about a budget surplus when there’s so much infrastructure work that needs to be done.

Dublin is by far the worst capital city in Europe right now - why would anyone come here? It’s extremely expensive and has incredibly poor infrastructure and large areas of the city aren’t effectively policed.

Its falling into general disrepair too and nothing meaningful being done, which is incredibly sad to see.

It’s funny, I’ve spent so long trying to save enough to get on the property ladder, but lately I’ve really been asking myself why in gods name should I be trying to buy a house in a country that works less and less for its citizens every day?

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭slay55

Arm the guards

they won’t cause more trouble 6ft under

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Plenty of money for Anto and Jacinta's annual income increments though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

A minister more concerned about feelings than hard realities. FG really have drifted from the core principles of the party. The party of Collins my arse.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Needs to be serious steps taken, no more BS.

Hire in private enforcers.

Lads who aren't afraid to tackle scum bags and are armed for physical confrontations.

If they come across scumbags being scumbags, a tazer **** or non lethal ballistic to take them down.

Straight into the back of a van and taken away to prison camp.

Once their identity is established, they are put on work detail.

Send them out with a team of street cleaners, roadside workers, repair teams to fix up and clean up their streets.

If they fall out of line, backninto prison camp.

No fancy shyte either. Actual prison, not what they get in the joy. If you step out of line, you know about it and will pay for it.

We need to get heavy handed here. Young anto with a deadbeat father and mother from de flats has had a bad upbringing and no chance at life your honour, **** that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Dublin city council should organise some events, to bring local communities together.

Say, a free gig in the Phoenix park, with Swedish House Mafia.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

A lot of american style solutions being posted , not sure we want to go that way

Didn't the new York zero tolerance method work well?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,819 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Who was the Green Party councillor complaining about lack of facilities?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TokTik

You should have a functioning brain for a start.

I’ve no doubt that if Helen McEntee was put in charge of the talking clock, it’d be out by at least an hour after a week, while she’d be in the press talking about the new inclusive and culturally sensitive beep she was working on that would vastly improve the talking clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

You can see how this will play out -

Minister will arrive down to Talbot st with the media to do a “walk about”

”show of force” from the guards with a squad of them down there with her and probably lads on bikes and horses and garda dogs.

Drew Harris will make an appearance and talk tough.

The media will lap it up ....then the circus will roll on and leave the inner city just as bad as it ever was

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭TedBundysDriver

Yeah that's not going to happen.

Unfortunately kids or Anto as you have called them without proper parent roll models often fall into the crime and poverty trap in and around the inner city. These kids need better support systems in place to encourage and harness their talents in that parents role model absence.

The majority of these kids are not lost causes and it's up to society as a whole and especially those who have been given better life chance and opportunity to tell them there are options and not just lump them in the same boat and write them off as scum and welfare scroungers.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,202 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Senior

I've read through this thread and agree with most of the comments in relation to what needs to happen next. I spend a lot of time in the general area where this attack happened and it needs a serious intervention to clean it up.

However, the sad part is nothing is going to change when this story leaves the headlines. If anything, it will just continue to get gradually worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭slay55

I thought it did , yes. The city was on its knees in the 70s and 80s with crime

tougher policing in low level street crimes

Google “broken windows approach”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Looking up the Tds in that Area of Dublin Central, Are they all WOKE TDs? Social Democrats ( The worst WOKE party) ) & Green Party definetly. Sinn Fein have been hijacked by the WOKE crowd as well leaving Pascal Donoghue of Fine Gael who might be good at finances but not likely great on feral crime.

Very little hope for that whole area .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I'll explain it to you. In simple terms, no qualified immunity means no accountability. No accountability for armed personnel is obviously not a good idea, it's a huge responsibility that needs to be taken seriously. Your Judge Dredd zero immunity idea is ridiculous, calm down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Something needs to be done anyway as letting teenagers (raised by turd parents that have no interest in parenting even though they mainly have nothing else to do) run rampant attacking whoever they want and stealing whatever they feel like isn't really a great idea as we are now finding out. It has gotten visibly worse in the last few years, I've been working in the middle of the city centre since 2004 and went to College there too and it's never been anything like it is now in that time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,117 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I lived in Dublin from 2007-13 and walked around the main streets morning, noon and night.

Now maybe because I was bit younger and after doing lot travelling to countries with previous job for couple years but I never once felt unsafe in Dublin back then.

Yes Dublin was rough around edges but I never ever saw gangs of Youths and never felt like taking different directions to get home from work. I passed through town least 5 times a week.

Not saying Dublin was perfect back then, but having walked around Dublin four or five times in last couple years there is huge change and atmosphere has changed no question.

Last June I was with 4 friends and we walked through town at 2am after night out and I be honest I was just glad get into taxi and get back hotel.

The vibe is much different now.

And anyone who defends Helen Mcentee and thinks she has had no role in this is deluded or part of problem. Ignoring a huge issue in this country.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement