Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nigel Farage cries persecution, nobody wants to be his banker after ties to Russia

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭supermans ghost

I don’t really care whether you do or not, (the truth is out there, don’t blame me if you are afraid to look it up) basically what I take from the tenor and content of your comment to my initial post on this thread is basically you saying “how dare you post something that I disagree with” the very essence of someone who lives in an echo chamber. Btw your excessive use of hyperbole to make your argument just proves how weak your argument actually is.

On GB News, they are a breath of fresh air to the increasingly biased and preachy reporting of the BBC, when they have a panel discussion they always have guests that represent both sides of the political divide. (right and left) and sometimes I find myself wanting to kick in the Tv because I’m listening to some lefty liberal talk nonsense (not always but most of the time) , but guess what, that’s what a good news channel does, gives you both sides of the issue, so you are able to decide for yourself. The alternative is to live in an echo chamber where you are only listening to people who agree with you.

Just watching Farage at Large broadcasting live from Newport, great show with audience members speaking about issues that affect them in their everyday working lives, challenge yourself my friend and dare to listen to other viewpoints.

Anyway, seeing as you feel I have nothing but snarky comments to add to this particular thread, I’ll leave you to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

It is illegal in the UK to discriminate based on politics. Banks are not above the law. Dont defend discrimination.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

Unless we see the report, of which some was redacted, we won't know.

But if elements of it were just links to opinion pieces in The Guardian, as Farage has stated, then that hardly constitutes hard evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭brickster69

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 16,622 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Which is why it wasn't the reason to close the account.

However, as a private company providing private services, should they be allowed make an opinion on who they serve as a customer or not?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,620 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

You have been at the forefront of misinformation and unsubstantiated speculation since the very inception of this thread.

As soon as evidence against your position emerges, you ignore it.

By all means dislike Farage, but don't mislead people with misinformation.

Nor should you welcome corporate banks deciding who is deserving of banking services based on their personal and political opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,548 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

An interesting aspect in all this is how several prominent Tories, including the PM and the Home Secretary no less, have come out batting out for Farage. I guess this must be part of their electoral strategy - try and get former UKIP and Brexit Party voters onside somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭brickster69

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭nachouser

The amount of lads on here with a hard-on for Farage is gas. He won't be walking away with an account with Coutts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,997 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Farage is a dickhead, but everyone should be worried about banks thinking it's okay to close a clients account because they don't like their politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

The "haters" can't even grasp the concept of supporting a principle without supporting the man. I don't even like him myself, but we're all fan boys because we aren't willing to let our dislike/hatred blind us apparently.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

That's the point I've been making.

I don't mind if people think Farage is the scum of the Earth. That's their right. But we should not set precedents where banks determine eligibility criteria based on what you think.

That crosses a line.

Almost everyone should be against it, and should set aside the almost childish vindictiveness that because Farage was targeted, it must be a good thing.

Either it's wrong for everyone or it's not right at all.

Coutts isn't a bank. But sure you should now this already.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,620 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It's entirely predictable that the narrative is now focused on Farage's proven lie about being denied banking because of his views. He was denied private banking and offered a standard account but he instead threw a tantrum like a two year old. Pathetic.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,069 ✭✭✭McFly85

He got an apology, but isn’t getting his Coutts account back, which I presume he should be entitled to if this was due to his original assertion that he was persecuted for masterminding Brexit which the globalist woke remainer banks hate?

His political standing was taken into account as part of a risk review(shocking considering he is a politician), but as Coutts themselves have said, that’s not the sole reason for the decision. It’s still a massive non-story.

No, what you have promoted on this thread has been proven false.

Looks like Farage is looking to exact systematic reform from banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,548 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Doesn't it make a mockery of his 'man of the people' spiel with a pint of beer in his hand? The overwhelming majority of Britons couldn't afford an account at Coutts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Led By Donkeys - Who is Nigel Farage?

That's a fantastic video. It's good that someone here is doing investigative journalism when the Murdoch press defend this creature.

There was a time when I would have found the concept of people on an Irish message board fanatically defending an English far right racist an impossibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,492 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Serious question: is this a principle that should be applied only to banks? Should other service-providers also be prohibited from refusing you service because you hold political views to which they object, or is it just banks?

We already have general equality legislation, in which businesses cannot refuse you service because they object to your gender, sexual orientation, marital status, race, disability, religious belief, etc. At the time this legislation was being considered in the UK, there was some discussion as to whether political belief should also be one of the protected grounds. There was almost unanimous — and certainly cross-party — support for the view that it should not. I think you are now suggesting that this should be reconsidered.

But, if it should be reconsidered, should it be reconsidered for banks only? And, if for banks only, why?

Arguably, the need to reconsider it in relation to banks is less than in relation to other businesses. Thanks ironically to the EU, the UK already has in place legislation ensuring that everyone has access to a "basic bank account", which can only be refused on grounds related to money-laundering or the financing of terrorism. Thus it's already the law that nobody can be cut off from banking services simply because they hold unpopular political opinions.

Given that, what is the argument for saying that banks in particular should be obliged to provide their full range of services to everyone, regardless of the political opinions that they hold?

Post edited by Peregrinus on

• Registered Users Posts: 82,509 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Shoog

What depresses me is what this says about the UK population that loves this grifter so much, they are either ignorant (in the truest sense of the word), stupid or equally fascistic in their beliefs. I can say, been British by birth, that it is my opinion the later - rascism is endemic to a large part of the population and I speak from the experience of my own family which has a 50/50 split in support of Farage and Johnson. Its no longer "polite" to be openly racist but it simmers below the surface everywhere you look.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Coutts has been truly outfoxed by Farage. It is hilarious. Even the Guardian says Coutts reputation is badly harmed. They didn't think of Subject access requests when they tried to debank him. This is is expected to contribute to banks facing a wave of requests from the public. I am posting below how to guides for UK readers who might want to do this.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/personal-banking/current-accounts/how-bank-subject-access-requests-work-gdpr-laws/

• Registered Users Posts: 26,492 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

What makes you think the UK population loves him?

YouGov track the fame and popularity of various public figures over time. As of quarter 2/2023, Farage had a "like" rating of 26%, which ranks him between Denis Skinner (25%) and Angela Rayner (26%). By contrast, 52% of respondents disliked Farage, while only 12% disliked Denis Skinner and 29% disliked Angela Rayner. Farage, however, was better known than either of them; 96% of respondents knew who Farage was as opposed to 60% for Skinner and 72% for Rayner.

Here's how Farage compares with higher profile figures:

Fame

• Farage: 96%
    • Sunak: 96%
    • Starmer: 93%
    • Corbyn: 95%

Like:

• Farage: 26%
    • Sunak: 28%
    • Starmer: 29%
    • Corbyn: 30%

Dislike

• Farage: 52%
    • Sunak: 43%
    • Starmer: 37%
    • Corbyn: 48%

(I've included Corbyn in the comparison not because he's terribly politically relevant these days but because he's a popular hate figure. But he's still better-liked than Farage.)

Basically, Farage is very well-known, but this does not result in him being well-liked. If anything, the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭donaghs

It you can cast aside the thought, just for moment, that your "team" had won a victory against another team.

There is still a precedent here for business services being denied to a person based on their legal political views. Would it be ok if it happened to you? And could that precedent be then used by other businesses to deny you alternative services?

This point is as old as the hills, but needs to be reinforced constantly.

This is a good example of what a distraction "woke capitalism" is. Coutts continues providing services to millionaires, some of them a lot dodgier than Nigel Farrage, but can get the mob cheering by making a example of someone who's, lets be honest, a subject of public ridicule. And who more than likely didnt have as much money is his account as the Oligarch and African dictators did.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2023/07/19/coutts-clients-mafia-bosses-dictators-russian-oligarchs/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Is it not like the baker and the gay wedding cake?

Most right wingers felt the baker was correct as it’s their business how they run it, yet here we are, with the shoe on the other foot and most right wingers are now saying the opposite.

What also need to be reinforced constantly was that Coutts offered him a Nat West account, they didn’t deny him ALL the services.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure that he is. There's certainly a noisy minority that like to live out their trolling and racist fantasies through him but that's about it. Once Brexit happened, he was an irrelevance despite attempts by the BBC and others to promote him. Every Farage fan I know is either a racist or a cretin with no exception, usually both. A friend of my aunt's boasted odiously to me about voting for him and for Brexit because there were too many Indians while ranting that her bus-sized husband couldn't get quick treatment on the NHS for his lifetime of drinking and stuffing himself.

The racism is certainly there among the population but I think it's a little bit overstated. Much of it seems to be generational with a lot of older people here being both racist and completely indifferent to the needs of anyone else. They're happy to vote for scum like Farage as well as Brexit because they know they're financially secure and simply don't care about anything else. It's typically the places with the least immigrants and BAME people that are the most xenophobic and racist. Kent's a good example and Farage lost his seventh campaign there.

I'd say there's a base here for him but it's nothing like Trump in the USA. They'll still vote Conservative because they're not going to split the blue vote. European elections were different because they were taken less seriously but that's not an option for the grubby little tapeworm any more.

Advertisement