Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COYGIG - Women’s Football World Cup 23 **Mod Warning in Post #58**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86,083 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭StevenToast

What I noticed from watching about 10minutes of the opening game was the absolute dread in Darragh Maloneys voice of saying anything that might cause offence.....

Really poor quality and skill (that would be highlighted and destroyed ad nauseum in the mens game) is glossed over and just accepted...

Womens soccer - Zero criticism allowed, with endless euphemistic guff..... "She was unlucky there", "She will be disappointed with that", "Amazing atmosphere" etc

Mens soccer - Maximum Criticism encouraged and rewarded..... input your Roy Keane quotes here....

Finally, Can you imagine if a mens team walked off from a game that was deemed " too physical"....they would be labelled a national disgrace.....

If you want equality and the same pay....expect the same levels of criticism.....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 33,468 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Tend to agree with a lot of the comments here.

The media are hyping this up big time, and I have heard comparisons to Ireland qualifying for their 1st men's WC in 1990. Its not even remotely similar.

Yes it's a huge achievement for the girls on the team, but in 1990 the entire nation bought into our participation. There was a natural, massive interest. For this, I think the media are trying to tell us we are excited, when the majority aren't.

It's down to the fact that the women's game doesn't have the same attraction as the men's game, which is understandable. It's gaining traction for sure, but it will reach its natural peak, and after that you won't get any more supporters.

I can understand the media bombarding us with it too. It's their job. We should all be patriotic and cheer them on, but for many they simply won't buy into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,250 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

That last line doesn't make sense. They aren't receiving equal treatment in those other areas. So isn't much of a justification for equal criticism.

If anything, you're just highlighted why the relaxed criticism is appropriate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭cms88

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Archduke Franz Ferdinand

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Switzerland beating Philippines 2 goals to nil. Last minutes of the game.

I thought they were going to rein in the added on time but it seems as bad as it was in Qatar.

Oh I missed this one

That has Ireland at the bottom of the table with first games of the group complete

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Scrabbel

That's actually a good result for us. Our 2 main rivals for the 2nd qualifying spot both dropping 2 points. A win and a draw is now likely to be enough for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭TheProudHighway

Do they look likely to get to another any time soon?

Ooof Spain are running away with this 2-0 so far 23 minutes gone.

3-0

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,292 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Shades of the men's game last November.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Shelfie

This is a fantastic result for us!

Can a separate thread be set up for those who want to moan about the Women's World Cup? Keep this one for those of us who want to engage with it for what it is and, dare I say, enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Go to the Soccer Group, you'll find one there, but you have to request access to Soccer.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Shelfie

The most streamed live event on RTE so far... must be some interest in it so!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,966 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Neither my wife or daughters have the slightest interest in watching it or even following the result. They would sit down though and watch womens tennis & athletics for hours. So it's not that women playing sport doesn't interest them. Maybe it's just tradition as women have been playing and competing in tennis & athletics for yonks, so there is a sense of reality there. I don't know.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,292 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

It's a dirty auld night in Wellington

• Registered Users Posts: 14,362 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

I'm in kakadu national park in the northern territory. absolutely no mention of it no chance of watching it on a TV. however the only thing they seem to get interested in up here is the state of origin series.

I imagine sydney is different though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭BlueEyeGleams

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Will_I_Amnt

Yeah, get a draw against Canada, beat Nigeria and hope Australia get at least a draw against Canada and Ireland are thru.

Trouble is, Australia, if they beat Nigeria in game 2 will put out mostly their reserves against Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,380 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Kick-off times are a bit of a mess, and not just because we are in the wrong time-zone.

Women's World Cup 2023 On TV Schedule UK (live-footballontv.com)

Like there's absolutely no logical shape to this at all. First game veers between 1am, 2am, 6am. Last game today is over by 10.30am, whereas other days it doesn't start until 1pm. I think a lunch-time GMT/CET game each day should have been a no-brainer.

I understand there's multiple time-zones in the 2 host countries but this hasn't been an issue in the Mens World Cup. i.e., Russia has different time-zones but the kick-off times were always 1pm, 4pm, 7pm for us, so clearly the host adapted around the time zones.

I think a consistent schedule would help with getting people to tune in.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,719 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Look like they will be hard to beat but have little to nothing going forward,

Real lack of confidence from our attacking player on the ball

Feels like they missed a huge chance to get a result v the Ozzies ,

All in all we look a very limited outfit

• Registered Users Posts: 18,600 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Seems a bit all over the place. From what I remember of the 2002 Men's WC (Japan/Korea) there was more a pattern to the televised times.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

I think we along with other countries miss a big trick in women's football, There is one huge glaring difference between the men's game & the women game that people seem to overlook & pretend that isn't there & its that the goal keeper's are absolutely awful in comparison to the outfield players , The outfield players can play football no question about it but keepers don't have the same size & physical attributes to get across the goal like men do ,

Its like the game doesn't want to ever mention or address it, They coaches all set up to play the game in the same way with the same tactics that you see men's football , It boggles my mind why they wouldn't take a slightly different approach & set up tactically to provide more chances for long shots and take advantage of weakness.

In all the games so far you can see its more difficult to create clear cut chance's in the box due to the lower skill levels & speed compared to the men's game, They need to set up and take advantage of the goal keepers by getting more shots off even if they are at range, ,

It wouldn't be pretty but it would be effective ,

l

You are not the only one who thought of this. To be honest I was afraid to say it. You are far braver than I am.

The women keepers seem to really flap at the football just from watching women's sports soccer/Gaelic football etc over the years. It has improved a bit to what it was, but it is still very dodgy which always surprises me given the fact that many sporty girls would have played netball/basketball etc.

For example that 'Matildas' keeper v Ireland yesterday (Mackenzie Arnold) seemed very suspect when put under the slightest pressure. Arnold could hardly be called 'commanding' IMO. And the ref seemed to be overprotective of her, there was one in particular where Stephanie Zambra (on commentary) was amazed that the ref called a foul on the keeper, for nothing obvious whatsoever.

It is cultural I suppose, slowly changing though - at least interested young girls will now have the role models from the Soccer and can get their own kids interested etc. But it could be a real slow burner.

I was thinking it could take 50 -100 years for Women's soccer to reach the popularity levels/viewing levels of women's tennis/women's athletics. Even though in Ireland there the name recognition of Kelly Harrington/Katie Taylor in boxing how many Irish women/girls would know female boxers names beyond that?

I remember watching a programme on the RTE player by Anna Geary about women in sport - one of things said why young girls are not interested in team sports - is because they look messy etc in front of their peers. Hopefully, the Women's soccer on now will help make some girls less self conscious, and have a bit of confidence in themselves at the very least.

• Advertisement

Its not even a skill thing its simply to do males being more explosive or bigger framed,

In the mans game the best keepers are massive guys like Donnaramma , Courtois, Becker or have unreal reflexs, Its harder for a women to get across the goal as quickly & make themselves as big , For example our very own Courtney Brosnan is 5'9 which is tall enough for a women but very small in comparison to a male goal keeper ,

Advertisement