Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,388 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

If you want a good chance of a bargain, you need to be ready to purchase immediately when one comes up!

There's still the Offaly high mileage one for €13k asking and there's one in Cavan, price just dropped to €13k

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/hyundai-ioniq-2017/34296679

Personally I would have a friendly chat with @zg3409 to see will he chop off a few bob and buy his car as it is the nicest of them all and was well minded with preventative maintenance done that most owners don't do or don't even know about. It looks like he's too modest to put the link up himself so I'll do that 😀

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/hyundai-ioniq-28kwh-electric/34597512

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭Casati

Door is wide open and indeed it seems the window is open or gone- i.e. your looking at rain getting in so could have a lot more needing replacement or sorting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

That blue ioniq is a cracker with some very nice spec

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

What kind of range would be reasonable to expect at 100KM/Hr? I know someone interested in moving to electric and doesn't do much mileage.

I remember from the early days in Ioniq forums that people tested that and on a good day in summer (basically ideal circumstances) they got about 250km at 100km/h. In winter a lot less though, you won't make 200km. Still very good though given the battery is only 28kWh (available), the car is extremely efficient and very aerodynamic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Ev Database quotes 190km real range from the 28kwh Ioniq. Same source quotes 350kms for the MY RWD - which we now know to be really accurate.

Real range is an average for average use in an average country in average weather.

@homah_7ft asked for range in very specific circumstances, namely at 100km/h in Ireland. I had mine for 3 years and compared my data with many hundreds of other people that incidentally had very similar experiences to what I had. At some point we had over 50 Ioniq 28kWh owners in the Ioniq thread here on boards.ie alone. And I base my advice on all that. But sure what would we know ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

Thanks. That's the information I was interested in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭zg3409

It depends what you mean is reasonable.

Summer at 100km/h 170/180/190km.

Winter, temperature below 5 degrees, head wind, rain, worst case maybe 120km.

Typically for all year round 140-160km at 100km/h but usually better.

These are conservative cruise control set to 100km/h.

I drove my car 5 days a week commute on M50 the entire length from Bray to Swords at 100km/h or 120km/h depending on the applicable speed limit. In fact I typically went 128km/h which is 120km real.

It's an ideal car for a 100km+ commute as you save a fortune on fuel, and still have spare range in the evenings for trips to shops. It also typically charges twice as fast as a leaf on a 50kW charger meaning you are away after 20 minutes versus 40 minutes. (not a full charge, just a fast top up to give you another 100km)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Leaf is steady 43kW on a 50kW charger, can't see how you can get 86kW on a 50kW charger

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

That's more like it, and matches EVDB very closely.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭AmpMan

Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭Casati

I see on that 2017 the owner is saying battery is showing 100% State of Health, is it feasible that the battery has'nt degraded at all in 7+ years/ 100km+?

I had heard 20% drop after 1000 cycles would be typical - is that totally wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭loopymum

The 28k ioniq is actually 31. That's why ioniq owners don't see degradation for a long time.

The 20 percent drop after 1000 cycles is probably more leaf territory.

Not a chance my ioniq would ever get 250km range at 100kmp.

I live in a hilly County though but still.

Zg3409 gives a more accurate description of range.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

Jaysus, can’t see that sort of range if I’m honest.

I’m a fairly light footed driver, and even in the recent warm weather, my GOM has shown 235km.

Maybe you meant 150km @ 100km/h? Think that ties in with my own experience from when I collected the car.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

My experience of the Ioniq range was going Cork -> Dungarvan and back with 20-50km range left over. That's 160km on a road with 100 and briefly 120km/hr driving. I traveled it plenty of times, so that'd be about 180-210km range.

Hills were not mentioned by the guy asking the question. Or bad weather, or winter temps, etc.

Ioniq will do 180km at 120km/h (16kWh / 100km) and 250km at 100km/h (11kWh / 100km) in perfect weather at constant speeds on the flat. I stand by that. Obviously driven to empty not having some sort of buffer at hand that distorts any comparison. But that's for an experienced and smooth EV driver (not using hypermiling techniques), not driven by a crude tool like cruise control. Also when the car was new, early Ioniqs are now nearly 7 years old, so will have some range limitations

A dude in Germany got 433km out of Ioniq with 3.5% SOC remaining (iirc) while hypermiling the car on public country roads. NEDC 280km, WLTP and EPA about 200km. I wish I had held onto mine for a few months longer to prove to some doubting Thomasses that it can easily do 300km range in Ireland in summer when driving gently on country roads. I replaced mine with a first gen Tesla Model S performance which uses at least 50% more electricity - if taking it handy 😂

Isn't hills, bad weather, and winter temps what constitutes 'real range' at the end of the day? 😂

Odd that EVDB got it so wrong with the stats on this model - they seem so close with other EV models.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭GSBellew

No repair involving the replacement or straightening of welded on components of the monocoque, insurance or otherwise will return a car to 100%, they can not replicate the factory rust proofing where the shell is dipped, as for insurance repairs being expensive, still does not mean it is done to the letter, the out of sight out of mind stuff won't raise its head for sometime, then there are lots of cars that are sold on damaged and repaired by a third party too.

I know that I've said that I don't like the Ioniq but, honestly, I would have bought one a few years back if I didn't have to do a Cork/Dublin run more that occasionally, for work.

If I have to be in the office for 08:30 I just could not face leaving even earlier, just to be able to charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭djan

I think it's important to consider the impact of external conditions and driving style on EV range, given that it can lead to huge fluctuations as users compare to each other.

High temperature (for Ireland), flat open road and no winds may lead to the wild ranges quote for the likes of Ioniq28. At the end of the day it's a low range EV that is better suited to set mileage travel like commuting with inter county trips being severely limited.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

How is that (4 claims against Tesla) not its own thread?

I lol'd when I seen Unkels last post did in fact mention Teslas. It was too good to turn down.

Unkel did call you a coward though... maybe read the grey on that one 🙈. Bit of an OTT reaction 🙄

Gotta take some posters posts very literally some times, and others you have to learn to read the grey

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

Joe Duffy had a late 221 ID4 77kw Pro for €46k and only 4,100km - sold now, but that’s great value for what is effectively a brand new car

• Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Why don’t you pop on over to the teenager thread and let the grown ups talk. I’ve been reading Unkels post for many moons now and he is a really good knowledgeable car owner who I always associated as been a beemer head and definitely not a Hyundai fan boy but his posts are definitely always informative and helpful especially in the ev threads

• Registered Users Posts: 45,463 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Was it you that was convinced by any chance, and you're now just bitter?

Lesson learned. Do better research

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Mod Note: Move back to bargains, rather than personal attacks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭snowcat

My GOM is showing 255km on a full charge at the moment. And it will do around that. 171 with 140k km

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

Don't see any of those as a bargain, not when compared to this one:= Hyundai Ioniq (202) 0% Finance EV Summer Sale Event - Linders - The Car People - 3 years newer, much lower milage, and much bigger battery for 7.5K more? 0% finance also available, surely a better bargain?. Was going to change this year - seriously considered that ioniq in linders - but think that next year there is going to be a dramatic drop off in the price of 2nd hand electric cars so will wait till then.

Also, what were the 4 cases against Tesla about???

• Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

Really?

That's very impressive. Maybe it's the hills near me are what's killing my GOM. Like I said, I consider myself to be fairly light-footed (except for the odd burst), but 235km is the most I've seen. Still delighted with that mind, as it's more than adequate.

• Advertisement

Same myself, in summer it nearly always read 237km for some reason. Now I'm in Dublin, not much in the form of hills and I have a lead right foot. But I didn't really drive all that much on motorways either and that kills range if you drive at 120km/h GPS speed, as someone earlier said correctly that's about 128km/h indicated. Even in a very aerodynamic car like the Ioniq. Look we can argue about range all day. Over 3 years of owning it, I reckon I averaged about 14kWh /100km, which with an available battery of 28kWh gives a range of 200km, which is pretty much exactly like the EPA and WLTP figures.

I guess a lot of people in here advise on range as in range until you really would be better off re-charging. I was referring to range. As in range until empty, back at the time several people in the German Ioniq forum drove the car unitl empty and the concensus was that on a warm day it can do 250km at 100km/h constant. Would I ever try do that myself if I needed to make a 250km trip? Of course not.

I did do a 170km trip from Dublin to Waterford (no CCS points in between back in 2017) when we had run several errands in the morning before the trip and I ended up with 12% left or something like that, most of the trip was done at 120km/h. You will get about 180-190km/h in perfect circumstances at 120km/h until empty. Would I ever attempt a 190km trip and start off driving at 120km/h? Of course not.

Advertisement