Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭dasa29

Age 47

Car 2012 Toyota Yaris

Claim free 5 years

Points free

Last year €381.54 AXA

This year €419.70 (includes protected NCD at 49.97) AXA

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭dodzy

HTF do their algorithms work. Makes absolutely zero.

Anyway, last year, €482.

50s, FULL NCB, no accidents / points. BMW 520D value circa 11K.

BOI Renewal exactly 40% increase, literally to the cent. They can feckin whistle for it. A quick call to them reduced the increase from 40% to 25% (€603)

As another poster said recently, off now for the usual round of timewasting calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Make it make sense...

31, 14y NCB, clean license and history

Last year 2007 LS460 €530 with 123.ie, swapped to my 14 IS300h in January and got €57 back.

Renewal came in last week at €660, on the phone down to €605 while new business same company online came in at €560?

QuoteDevil cheapest at €505, every other company (and I mean every other) came in OVER €800

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I've never ever received a price from Quote Devil, sorry we can't quite you at this time, leave your number and we'll call you... I didn't hold my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭freddyuk

I am going through the whole list of known insurers. Acorn called us chasing for a sale and I asked her to remind me what their quote was. "Sorry I don't know the quote"..... what a waste of time discussing anything then . She would simply knock 5% off and hope we wpuld buy it. It has nothing to do with risk so where are all the underwriters?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Comprehensive policy Honda Crv, AXA 430, Aviva 800 , AXA through Chill 759, full van no claims, 3 years car in my own name no claims, and full named driver, no claims .

OK today I revivied our cheapest quote from a massive list which was the AA (Aviva) which I could not confirm at the time because it was more then 30days prior. The quote was €430 which is by far the cheapest so far. I recalled the quote even though it had expired and all the info was still pre loaded except claims questions.Nothing had changed but the quote was now €360!! I can get 10% off that if I buy AA breakdown cover at €96 so would be actually €60. In addition you get cheaper fuel at CircleK, other car cover and other benefits.

Someone above suggested Zurich which I tried but the direct quote was €730 and the indirect was €483 (Chill) so the whole insurance scam is alive and well.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭rachaelf750

45 years old

161 bmw 5 series

2 year no claim bonus(~55% discount)

Renewal quote €780

Last year €640

Phoned chill they can reduce quote to €680

Tried other insurers-most won't provide a quote.

So much for the overhaul of the insurance industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

222 Reg Dacia Sandero.

Last year fully comp: 367. This year: 537. A 46% increase. Absolutely **** them, found a quote from Liberty that will bring me back down to 360. Bye bye zurich.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

And that's the way the free market should (does) work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Except when you got a old car that nobody else will quote you so you're stuck where you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

If you have owned and insured an older car for a number of years, you will find alternative quotes. It's when someone has just purchased an older car, insurers have concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Had it 17 years, I must be the exception to the rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭gussieg

SO been with 123.ie, offered renewAL AT 376 for a 02 wagon r, went on the website to get quote , and it came to 309, with 2000 as car value as opposed to 1000 for previous iteration. even though i gave same email and details , their system didnt recognise me as same customer, and is asking for all paperwork again. anyway, im glad i bothered to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭Nothing surprises me now

I was thinking of trying for new quote with 123 (am currently with them) but do you think they'll say something when they see paperwork? Thanks.

I did that with Zurich, nothing untoward happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

No that is a common thing to do as they usually give cheaper rates to new customers and hope you just go ahead with the renewal.

What sort of company just lets good clean business walk out of the door because their Alogorithm says it is suddenely worth a 20% increase.? It makes no sense. I ended up with a big decrease whereas the expiring carrier could have kept my clean busienss with a very small increase. Mostly these days we deal with Agents who go round all the carriers and "get the best quote available" which is clearly untrue as we can do a far better job. I complained to First Ireland about a ridiculous increase and they didn't respond. I had to ask twice for my NCB declaration.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Jaymacc

1.6 Golf

Clean record.

Opted for full bonus protection.

July 2021 was €310 with Aviva

July 2022 was €310 with Aviva

July 2023 was €350 with Aviva

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Got renewal off Zurich today - €678 compared to €668 last year.

Called them up and they dropped it to €560. Guess it pays to give them a ring sometimes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

I did the same a few years back. Like yourself had car valued at €1K. I tried a few different values and got the best quote with a value of €5k.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Male, 41, Full NCB (even if some try say a windscreen is a “claim”) and driving over 15 years

Last August Campion Insurance E571, 2012 1.2 TSI Golf

This January changed to a 181, 1.8 Auris and it went up to E858 and I had war with them and told oh its more expensive and bigger engine (ignore in 40s, low milage, clean no claims)

Below is a list of the usual places, issues in one form or another with 25plus, Arachas, Quote Devil and Zurich

I had my phone on silent and got about 5 calls/voicemail of hold music and I wish I put in a fake number like I did for Chill as they are the worse (I just lash in the details, then see if my insurance will match if not ring to go over a quote and see if the same as I got)

Post edited by jeffk on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,890 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Zurich. Last year 358, this year 466

I've got several cheaper quotes elsewhere, guess I'll have to give Zurich a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Do, I'd advise doing up a new quote first using the promo code 'Protect' and then mention the quote when you ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Rang back Kennco too see if the quote was still as low and its jumped from 484 or so too 650 as he refreshed it because I got the quote in July and its August now

I wouldn't bother, just go with the cheapest one assuming it gives the cover you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭skibum

Your Age: 57

Car type and engine: 2008 Mercedes C180K

years driving: 38

any claims: none

no penalty points

Price and provider: Allianz, It was €381 last year, €383 Renewal, fully comp with bonus protection etc.. Rang around, couldn't get a better quote, rang Allianz to see if I could get any discount (has always worked before), but they wouldn't budge.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Renewal came in at €343 so a fiver less than last year.

No need to shop around yet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭raxy

I've just got my renewel from an post. €160 more than last year, no changes in between. Was my first year with them

Have got a few quotes. In typical fashion quotes ranging from €600-2400.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭blade1

No I didn't get any other quotes as I'm happy to pay that.

This will be my 5th year with them.

Used to change insurer every year with donkeys years before that.

Advertisement