Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The problem with the Leinster game is that it's the most profitable game of the season. HC ticket prices with all hospitality and corporate boxes sold out. PuC actually has a smaller corporate offering than Thomond and has no boxes. I've heard that it's a non runner in the near future for that reason. One off games and possible HC knock outs are it for the foreseeable.

And I think that the fact that there will be two a month gap between the HC group stages and the knock out stages gives you plenty of scope to organise a game around the GAA games. If the Aviva can host football and rugby games withing 24 hours of each other, PuC could have football/hurling one day and rugby the next if there's a clash of weekends.

• It's the most profitable and even after paying a fee to Cork GAA, the additional 15k+ that PuC would hold would make it more profitable. 15k @ €40 = €600,000. Fee to PuC €150,000 - €200,000. We've all heard how the SA game in PuC was commerically successful from a corporate pov with sponsorship too which would have to be factored in.

The thing about the Aviva holding soccer and rugby is when the sporting bodies own them, they have plenty of space to store required equipment etc. The problem in PuC would be removing goals, installing posts, installing all the additional hoarding the Munster did to tighten the pitch for the SA game, installing screen, timing clocks etc.

What I've heard is that even with the extra tickets, the hospitality is way more profitable in TP. You can charge a lot more for private boxes than for a prematch meal in a function room. And Munster can do both in TP.

There's also things like the 10 year ticket holders private bar in Thomond, the MRSC private bar and the Dug Out and former Bohs bars, which don't exist in PuC, which are all part of a pouring rights contract with Diageo. As are all the internal bars.

I'm not saying that it will never happen, just that it won't happen in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,178 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Fair enough it might not be a runner for the Leinster game for the reasons you mentioned, the CC games likewise, but what if you were to move Ulster or Connacht there which attracted 15k and 16.5k respectively last season? The way things are going they'd sell out PuC easily making another 30k ticket sales

• From what I've heard from someone working in the operations side of things, it's a lot closer to happening than most realise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,178 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Assuming deals with 5/10 year ticket holders, suppliers and sponsors etc run for 10 years and the stadium opened at the 2007/08 season and contract were renewed in 2017/8

These contracts would be gone by the beginning of the 2027/8 season so my thinking is that's when we will see these potential changes... Did you hear they would be earlier than that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Rotating a home champions Cup fixture and the Leinster fixture every year makes the most sense and would keep things fresh. It would also open the possibility of selling Cork season tickets. Add one more URC game to Musgrave, throw in a pre season game and the PUC fixture and you could sell a decent package. I wouldn't rule out a knockout game based on the GAA season either. PUC was free the weekends of the HC R16, QF and the URC SF this season. Not sure if it would be possible to play a game the day after a GAA game? That would add more possibilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I believe 10 year tickets in thomond might have a European cup game guarantee written into their terms and conditions.

Any 10 year ticket holders able to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

I plain hope it doesn't happen. PuC is a pain in the hoop of a stadium. I like the idea of the odd one-off fixture there but I wouldn't like to see big main-season matches taken out of Thomond, for a variety of reasons

• I completely understand the need for Munster to accommodate their Cork support base better than they have previously done. 2 or 3 token fixtures was a bit of an insult to an area with over twice the population as Limerick and supplying the majority of the squad hail from.

I'm not for one minute saying everything should be moved to Cork but an even spread would be more beneficial for the province in the long run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Its pretty obvious where they would look for games to utilise PUC and tap into the Cork market.

If SA got paid the fee that has been muted for the last fixture then it will be easy enough to attract a NZ or Australia side to PUC during the November window, they wont say no to that money.

Or a Munster vs Ireland game.

It opens up the plausibility of hosting a round of the 7’s circuit also.

Stadium capacities decide the fixtures spread. Cork isn't only getting token games either. They've Glasgow this season

And it used to get 4 games when it was a 22 game league. Between the reduction in league games and only 4 games in the HC, Limerick is down two games. That's 3 home gates that Munster are down. They're going to play as many games as possible in the bigger stadium for simple financial reasons. Hosting one off games in PuC is great for the finances, but regular fixtures there wouldn't have the novelty factor to pull in the crowds.

Also saying that Cork has twice the population of Limerick is too simplistic. All 6 counties have players in the squad. Limerick rugby is actually Limerick, Clare and Tipp thanks to the geographical location of Limerick City.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,316 ✭✭✭✭phog

Are posters forgetting that Munster rugby still want to sell the naming rights to Thomond Park.

There isn't a sponsor in the world that would pay for only one H/C game and the possibility of not having all 3 interpros there too.

If we're ever awash with money I could see where it might make sense to increase capacity of Musgrave Park to 15-18k and try split more games but then you'd need to forget the naming rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

2 good points lads.

And i think I read back a few pages about the squad being dominated by Cork players. That is at the moment, but look at the forward pack from 2006-2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

stop, this complete sense and rational judgement doesnt belong here

are glasgow that big a deal though really? i think there has been an element of token games in musgrave over the last few seasons - i dont there was an interpro there this season for example.

i agree that the novelty factor may wear off if its too often though - id look at having either a touring team or maybe a leinster game at christmas there every second year to keep it as a 'new' thing and have any euro knockout (even QFs possibly) and URC semis/finals there

and as for the geography element - you could say the same about areas of kerry, waterford and tipp being closer to cork so the original statement about the population of cork is still relevant

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭MaddChris

One game every year or two against a tour side or a European semi-final I think is what they should stick too.

PUC is not a rugby stadium and will never have the same mystique for me as Thomond Park does (coming from some who can walk to PUC in 45 minutes)

Many doubters said the SA game was a one off sell out, but it looks like the Crusaders game could be the same. Even so, most(?) Munster supporters would have to admit, there is still a bit of novelty around this fixture. Sellout for CC semi final? sure. But, Munster v New Zealand Maori or Australia A in 2 or 3 years time if they keep playing games every year? Probably still bring a decent attendance, but it won't last forever in my opinion.

Tipp is part of Limerick Rugby?? You should listen to the interview with Leamy on Newstalk, he spoke extensively about the culture shock of playing club games away in Limerick and how Rockwell play a game far more aligned with what UCC were doing. Besides even if you include all three counties it still doesn’t come close. Someone did a breakout of the players on Munsterfans:

Cork: 23 players

Archer

J Ryan

J Wycherley

Donnelly

McSweeney

Buckley

N Scannell

Hurley

F Wycherley

Edogbo

G Coombes

Hodnett

Kendellan

O'Mahony

O'Sullivan

Crowley

R Scannell

Hicks

Campbell

L Coombes

Daly

Zebo

O`Connor

Limerick: 11 players

Kilcoyne

K Ryan

O'Connell

Okeke

Casey

Cronin

Murray

Oliver

Earls

Nash

McCarthy

Tipp: 2 players

Barron

Gleeson

Waterford: 2 players

Ahern

O'Donoghue

Clare: 3 players

Quinn

Coughlan

Butler​

Kerry: 1 player

Daly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

It’s actually pretty impressive that all 6 counties are represented. You lost guys from the smaller counties as well. Hanrahan and dillane from kerry. And, healy and i think flannery from tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

tipp is far more aligned with Limerick than Cork for me. most of county would be far closer to Limerick and would go play rugby at all levels more than cork city bar at senior where cashel/clonmel are aligned with south for charity cups/fixture alignments tho traditionally would more be northern sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Dropped in to Lifestyle to see if any of the new gear caught my eye.

€130 for this. Thought it was some sort of joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

Tipps its own county this aligning countys is nonsense

Every county is it's own county. It doesn't mean that Tipp players don't generally gravitate into Limerick though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I meant that they left Munster, i didn’t mean they were left off the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Its pretty mad alright! I like some of the new munster stuff but i find the jump in prices to be crazy.

The dont seem to be any better across the water.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/2023/07/18/england-release-new-rugby-world-cup-2023-kit-ranked/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

Players have to move to an ail club when they join munster sub academy tipp dosent have those. That dosent make them limerick players any more than leisnter get credit for developing henshaw ffs. Some reach

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

General sale started at 10am for the Crusaders game and all the stand tickets are pretty much sold out already. Only really terrace tickets behind the goal left now

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭MaddChris

I see the price of some of the Cat A tickets have gone form €50 up to €60 thismorning.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

It's a glitch, if you select "best available seats", it actually returns the cheapest (i.e. terrace).

I just got two pretty decent stand tickets

Advertisement