Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Criminal Justice (Incitement to Violence or Hatred and Hate Offences) Bill 2022 - Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

There's a tiny diversity unit with 2 or 3 people. Not a big drain on resources or anything.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

It varies. They are ordinary gardai doing their ordinary job and sometimes they might have to deal with something specific like dealing with specifically racist graffiti or maybe someone blackmailing a gay or trans person. They also try to link into local community groups in order to build good relationships. They might also have specific drop in places for specific communities.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,602 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Oh, I know 😊 I'm asking that poster does he know, because it doesn't sound like he has a clue about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,653 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

A Ukranian actor savagely beaten and an American tourist beaten within an inch of his life in the space of a couple of weeks yards from our so-called main street, practically beside a Garda station, and our minister devotes her energy to this.

Priorities much?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

It’s not the role of the Minister to deal with cases like the ones you mentioned though? It’s part of the Ministers responsibility to introduce legislation which may actually be useful in the cases you mentioned, particularly if their nationality were a factor In the commission of the offences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Hodger

So a group were handing out leaflets with their own point of views on trans related issues in one Irish town earlier today and someone went off running to the guards complaining about " hate speech " .

And this before the planned new law is fully enacted, at a time when garda resources are already stretched Im fully opposed to Investigating people for supposed breaches of " hate speech " for handing out leaflets.

Whenever someone is handing out leaflets be it political leaflets or religious leaflets you have the choice to take one or nor or engage them in discussion or not, in this Instance by the lads own admission he handed back the leaflet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

You're right, I don't. It wasn't a thing when I was there, or was just coming in so I had nothing to do with it, nor do I know what they do that is considered a Garda role. But I do know of other members who had similar extra duties, and within no time they were basically full time doing it so yet another member lost to the everyday work. I can see this going the same way, or it'll become part of the community policing unit in general. I don't know. I left over 7 years ago and have nothing to do with the organisation since.

But I agree with Marcos. So i'll leave it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,602 ✭✭✭suvigirl

No, I wasn't talking about you, I was talking about Marcos.

it's not a full time job except for one of two in an office in the depot. It's a numbers game, a PR stunt, typical of the job.

I just find it ridiculous the faux outrage some people have on behalf of gardai, 'wasting their time ' gardai regularly waste their time on plenty of issues that are not even criminal matters. Where is the outrage from the general public about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Irish Times has attempted to use research from the Garda Analysis Service. The article says that 19% of assault victims are now foreign nationals and "amid increasing calls for hate crime legislation," the brand new, never before seen research is justification for said legislation.

The IT heavily implies that it's Irish people alone who are targeting foreign nationals simply because they are not Irish. They fail to provide any evidence of the percentage of perpetrators who are assaulting foreign nationals. They also excluded data showing the percentage of crime committed by foreign nationals in Ireland, and they conveniently excluded the ethnicity breakdown of the perpetrators responsible for the crime against Irish people in their own country.

It's been said many times, we already have laws in place to deal with assault. If a person is assaulted and they just so happen to be a foreign national, the law does not change to cater to them. But Helen & Co are dead set on creating a two-tier justice system that is weighted in favor of protected groups and the foot won't be on the scales for Irish people who question any of it

It's all too obvious. Desperate!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,773 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

12% of the population are foreign nationals according to the CSO with a further 4% who didn't state their nationality. These figures wouldn't take into account tourists. So, a potential 16% of our population are foreign. And when you add in that many of the assaults on foreigners are committed by other foreigners, it does look like Irish people aren't kicking the shyte out of them any more than the Irish are kicking the shyte out of their own.

It's pretty noticable that McEntee has the media in her pocket.

• Advertisement

Nah. Nonsense claims about this article.

A: That article is 4 years old. Its definitely not "brand new research"?

B: It has nothing to do with Helen McEntee who wasnt Minister of Justice 4 years ago. Nothing to do with "having the media in her pocket"

C: The article is clear in admitting the data is unclear as to what might or might not be a hate motivated crime.

Terry Pratchet

But Helen & Co are dead set on creating a two-tier justice system that is weighted in favor of protected groups and the foot won't be on the scales for Irish people who question any of it.

It’s not creating a two-tier justice system in favour of protected groups, the legislation refers to protected characteristics.

Whenever someone is handing out leaflets be it political leaflets or religious leaflets you have the choice to take one or nor or engage them in discussion or not, in this Instance by the lads own admission he handed back the leaflet.

You’ve the choice to make a complaint to Gardaí too, which I’ve done in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,330 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Sounds like two cases of "everyone I don't like is Hitler" going up against each other head-on.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

There could be a possible case there under the incitement to hatred act 1989 so there's nothing for you to oppose

Terry Pratchet

Offensive speech should be allowed, even if it's stupid.

Take a religious person preaching that homosexuality is a sin and those who engage in its acts will go to hell. Many Christians believe this and if they were handing out leaflets to that effect, I just wouldn't take one and I'd swiftly move on.

I wouldn't take to social media, claim offense, and report it to the Gardai like some big baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭techdiver

My thoughts exactly. If I'm approached, I say no thanks to any loon like that. The issue is nowadays (and I'm only in my early 40's), we have a generation of perpetually offended who now have upped the ante to the point that they want language that makes them uncomfortable criminalised. Make no mistake about it, this bill will be weaponised by idiots on both sides. Of that there is no doubt. I've casually scanned this thread for a few weeks now and can see exactly why the above will happen.

We have people with diametrically opposing positions as to the need for this Bill (specifically in its current form). Then there is no concensus of how it will be applied. No exact hypothetical scenarios where some one could fall foul of this legislation. Most laws are understood. "I cannot do A or B". With this bill you can be criminalised based on the feelings of another person. You could have religious zealots accuse someone of a crime for belittling their religion because I might say "I hate your religion and everything it represents". On the other side you have trans activists claim the act of banning biological males from competing in female sports as "genocide".

I'm liberal. Have been do my entire life. I've campaigned for LGB rights back in college with my friends, I voted in favour of gay marriage, I voted in favour of a women's right to choose. What I am seeing especially in recent years is a dangerous polarisation of positions. Let's be honest. Most of the loons are on the far right, but the left are not immune to bullshit either.

From what I see now is an all or nothing from the extremes. You either agree with every aspect of their manifesto or the labels are thrown out. The right call you a groomer if you support any type of trans rights, trans medical care or education. The left call you transohobic if you have the opinion that biological males should not compete against biological females in sport. These are just a couple of examples.

Where I'm going with my above rambling is that with the current climate of extreme rhetoric on both sides a poorly defined bill, such as this one, will do nothing but add fuel to the fire.

Offensive, stupid speech has always been permitted, it will still be permitted.

That’s why nobody has to care for your personal standards or what you would or wouldn’t do in any given circumstances, nor do they have to adhere to your standards, nor do they have to care that you think they’re a big baby because they do something which they are entitled to by law.

I completely agree.

The only thing I would add is that the LGB rights you defended are nothing to do with what we're seeing with the trans question and activists in particular. Most lesbian and gay people (including me) are equally appalled that our acronym is now exploited to pursue the ideological trans agenda which, as you say, includes bonkers religious-esque demands on sport and elsewhere.

Once this legislation is passed, those same extremists will jump on this legislation at every single turn where they feel their hurt feelings matter more than anything else. Most of the time, it will just be used for purely vindictive reasons.

Most lesbian and gay people (including me) are equally appalled that our acronym is now exploited…

they feel their hurt feelings matter more than anything else.

I’d love to see that argued in front of a judge 😒

• Advertisement

With no evidence a judge would throw it out of court straightaway.

Terry Pratchet

Wouldn’t even entertain it, I’d say they’d struggle to maintain their composure 😂

Our acronym is being exploited”, as though it’s a trademark dispute or copyright infringement to use the acronym, never mind the idea that it’s the other party is at fault because they are accused of their feelings being more important.

The indulgent lack of self-awareness at this point isn’t the least bit surprising.

Tough ****. No one gives a flying **** about what you're personally appalled by - build a bridge... as they say - and that's the way you've said you want it.

The line is crossed though when you start saying factually ambiguously bullshit like "most people think/say/are appalled by...." when you've no idea what most people think/say/are appalled by. Most Irish people find this idea ignorant (see....?) Appealing to the masses is just another logical mistake you seem to enjoy making.

And even dumping bisexuals out of the so called acronym exploitation too. 😄

Terry Pratchet

"Tough ****. No one gives a flying **** about what you're personally appalled by - build a bridge... as they say - and that's the way you've said you want it."

This is the kind of polarising language the other poster was referring to, and why opposition to this legislation is where it is.

People simply don't like being spoken down to because they are told they have the "wrong opinions".

Oh, i never, ever said that's a 'wrong' opinion - well, the 'most people are appalled by...." is unless you've done a poll - but if you expect people to cate what you're appalled by, it's a hypocritical one.

Post edited by Princess Consuela Bananahammock on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Speaking about the US tourist that was attacked on Talkbot Street McEntee said 'You're not going to be safe all the time' in Dublin city centre. At the start of the week McEntee also said: "There are people in this country who don't want to leave their house because they're afraid. I agree with McEntee to a certain extent but when you put the fear and melodrama being deployed to bolster the legislation into context it pales in comparison to what happened to that man. Maybe McEntee needs to tell those with vested interests that you're not going to be safe from people's beliefs or opinions all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭techdiver

Whilst accepting that the minister for justice can't fix everything overnight, to me, she is an infuriatingly poor communicator. Partly by design though. She appears to me as someone who is "handled" and has a finite number of pre-canned responses prepared for various questions.

When a minister cannot explain her own bill to the public, to journalists and other members of the Oireachtas, without waffle and subterfuge that signifies bad legislation in my eye.

I recall being critical of the electorate when she was elected in the by-election after her father's passing. You can't tell me this wasn't a cynical ploy by FG yo guarantee a victory. Her quality as a TD is no surprise to me based on my feelings at the time. As the old saying goes - "You get the government you deserve".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Whilst accepting that the minister for justice can't fix everything overnight, to me, she is an infuriatingly poor communicator. Partly by design though. She appears to me as someone who is "handled" and has a finite number of pre-canned responses prepared for various questions.

The way she speaks coupled with that glazed look on her face it's as though she's concentrating on what's being said to her via a hidden earpiece whilst having to say it out loud at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

What an exceptional piece of absolute horseshit.

Honestly, the level of crap posted on this forum about politicians and the media is borderline insanity.

Advertisement