Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of a United Ireland and the GFA

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,842 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Except I didn't refer to the entire 'Unionist community' as belligerent.

I referred to 'belligerent Unionists' which is a different thing and not directed at the whole community. There are also Republican belligerents in the form of dissidents and those who don't accept the GFA.

I have explained this before.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

A few points:

First, it's true that the GFA doesn't prescribe the financial/economic aspects of unification. That was an inevitable decision and, I think, also the correct decision. How could the parties, in 1998, have regulating the financial and economic aspects of a unification that would only happen, if at all, decades into the future, and in an unknown and unknowable economic context and circumstances? This was always something that would have to be worked out at the time.

Secondly, it's correct to say that, with reunification, IRL would be facing ten years of massive unknowns. So would NI. But this is not the showstopper you might think. All countries are always facing ten years of massive unknowns. Before the global financial crisis of 2008, who foresaw the global financial crisis of 2008 or how it would play out? Before Brexit, who foresaw Brexit or how it would play out? Before the invasion of Ukraine, who foresaw the invasion of Ukraine or how it would play out? An economy that is only strong or stable so long as nothing unforeseen happens is not strong or stable at all.

Thirdly, and this is perhaps the key point: If and when the time comes, the financial and economic aspects will have to be worked out by agreement between UK and IRL (with no doubt some support provided/influence exerted by EU and USA).

But both countries are already committed to this; it's right there in the GFA. Downcow suggest that some in the UK would see this as an opportunity for "payback". He has a low opinion of Westminster, perhaps understandably given how he and his community have been comprehensively shafted by the people they thought were their friends at Westminster. Hence he thinks that Westminster will approach this primarily as an opportunity for revenge. But we may at least hope that the present appalling state of Westminster politics is a transient one; that when unification has to be addressed we will be in a happier time, with a Westminster establishment that recognises that, when the UK has treaty obligations, they are to be performed in good faith.

We should also think about this not in terms of Westminster's emotions and baser passions, but in terms of Westminster's interests. This situation only arises where a majority in NI wish to leave the UK and join IRL. If there is such a majority, then it is very much in Westminster's interests that that should happen, that it should happen soon, that it should happen smoothly and that it should happen successfully. And it is not a good idea for Westminster to subordinate those interests in favour of throwing a tantrum over the failure of IRL and EU to give UK the magical fairy-dust unicorn-drawn Brexit which Brexiters had promised.

Of course, Westminster can act against the UK's interests; just look at Brexit. But it's a bit defeatist to assume that it will always reliably do so. (Plus, it's a bizarre position for a unionist to adopt; it's a fairly powerful argument against unionism.)

The truth is we don't know what position a British government will adopt on this until it happens. But we do know that the British government in question will have a legal and diplomatic obligation to approach the matter in good faith, with reputational damage if it does not, and that it will have an interest in approach the question in a way that maximises the chances of successful reunification.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,623 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Will then we needed hold our breath for a referendum. That is one enormous task. How long do you think that process would take?

Almost the entire Parliament voted to have a border in the Irish Sea and to allow the two economies to become closely aligned and inter dependent.

This is looking after their own interests primarily. They are not interested in 'payback' or revenge, they are interested in Britain and mostly England if you dig into it all.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Well, it takes as long as it takes.

A UK Gov, convinced that a GFA poll would pass, would be best served in the international sphere, to try and make a vote in favour huge rather than 51%. So in order to boost those numbers in favour, they make sure they are overly generous in offers of support, and minimise the fears of those who might otherwise vote against.

Look at it in terms of economics - a vote for a UI gives a long term end to subsidies to NI. While a vote against a UI means that NI continues to be a drag on the UK Gov.

What economic or political advantages does a continued presence in NI give to the UK Gov? Well, that is for Unionists to convince a future UK Gov that their continued presence within the UK is beneficial. The DUP are trying really hard in this regard.

Of course, no UK Gov party to date has had any success electorally in NI. Nor has any UK Gov had any enthusiasm to get involved in the sectarian malaise that is NI politics. That has not changed in 100 years and is not going to change any time soon.

• Advertisement

And on the same note - No irish government, british government, eu, or IRA, etc, in the past 100years, have been able to convince a majority of people in ni that their interests are better served in a small Ireland rather than a relatively large and diverse Uk. I don’t see any sign of that changing

The IRA tried to force a UI.

None of the others have tried to convince.

Is that about to change? IMO we are heading to a BP within 10 years, so yes, that is about to change.

Another challenge is that no one has a model for two countries uniting who have been separate for over 100 years. We are asking for something to be achieved that has never ever been done anywhere in the world. That’s a remarkable state of affairs and makes a nonsense of anyone who claims it is an inevitability.

sorry, I can find one instance worldwide, ie Belgium 200 years ago. To this day there are tensions and Belgium has granted autonomy (devolution I guess) to the regions.

what you are trying to do in Ireland is well nigh impossible. And if it happened we can point to 100% of reunifications have ended up in devolution.

so guys when yous are poo pooing unionists telling you it won’t happen, you need to consider who is out of step with the world.

it reenforces for me that in the extremely unlikely scenario of a Ui, there will absolutely definitely be devolution for ni, and unfortunately even then there will be ongoing tension for generations.

tell me. Why do you want a single country on this island?

You could make a case that they were 'separate' for maybe 75 years, but we have never been truly separate. The GFA recognised this and consolidated Dublin's involvement in the running of the North.

Socially and economically the separation was never fully completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

I would guess the main reason why is because people see there nationality as irish. When I say or nearly everyone says they're irish they are referring to fact they're from Ireland the island. Most nations of people want to be in one jurisdiction.

The GFA tho has lowered the need for unity. There is no hard borders on Ireland and we see there has to be one in the UK before there can be one in Ireland. There is free movement in Ireland. We pretty much have equality too. The DUP are doing best to stop an irish language act in the north but they will eventually lose. So the practaical incentives since the GFA has been lowered for nationlists. They can think more on practical issues. It is probably why we have not seen a huge increase in people who would vote for a UI immediately since 98.

However i dont think we should just be looking at what is going on in Ireland. If Scotland go i think the union is gone. Look how cut off NI would be if it was just left with England and wales and i think those nations would go their own way too leaving the only viable option for a UI.

• Advertisement

I agree with your second paragraph that the evolution over the last 25 years has diminished the desire for a Ui. Once the Ira had basically run the white flag up the gfa stormont pole, unionists relaxed and I think nationalists thought this status quo is ok - the killing is stopped and the army aren’t visible.

I think you’ll find across both communities less and less people saying they are Irish or British when asked More are saying they are northern Irish or from Northern Ireland

the unification bubble has burst and I think that ship has also sailed in Scotland It’s purely antidotal but I know a few Scot’s and they voted yes last time but would say they wouldn’t do it again

No two countries that are neighbours are ever truly separated (unless there are walls and guards). England and Ireland never truly separated. The point I was making is that people are calling something inevitable that has never happened in the history of the world. And people are expecting to do this unique unification thing even if 49% of one country are opposed to it.

this is fantasy stuff guys. This is like dreaming of world peace. I understand that it helps republicans get through their day. Everyone needs hope and I guess that is what the gfa done for republicans, is give them hope. Mind you as a OWC football supporter, when we are going through tough times and losing every game, there is an old saying ‘it’s the hope that kills you’. So it’s a 2-edged sword; generations of republicans have fed off the hope, but of course that also means they have died disappointed. Which is a pity. I think we are headed for a place (a destination) where the people of ni are content with OWC and neither side needs the hope or feels the disappointment

The GFA tho has lowered the need for unity. 

Not according to a poll of polls shown in this graph here.

And people are expecting to do this unique unification thing even if 49% of one country are opposed to it.

While they may be opposed, huge majorities in both jurisdictions have said they will accept the outcome of referendums on the matter.

Have you got a link? Seems stark ie up until 2016 less that 20% wanted a Ui. What was all the killing about?

It’s behind a paywall so I can’t see it but they say this in opening paragraph. Not much to worry about there

I also don’t know much about graphs and stats but this looks like a remarkable piece of line draw 😂

Post edited by downcow on

Actually in the latest census of 2021 the number of people identifing as northern irish only declined from the 2011 census and is just 19%. Irish only was up to 30% and British only was down to 31%. By the next census irish only will be the biggest identity in OWC.

I would not pay attention to anecdotes when we have surveys monitoring the Scots. Btw your ancodotes and hear say ALWAYS back up what you're claiming or want. Remain is slightly ahead in latest but end of last year leave was slightly ahead. Younger people much more likely to vote leave.

As usual there was a lot made of the last poll by Unionists. But what they ignore is the trend or poll of polls (as shown above). That shows the fall in support for the Union and the rise in the itch for a UI. An itch that has not been scrtached by any formal proposal for what a UI would look like yet.

One of the people interviewed in that article in the Economist - COI Archbishop John McDowell has this to say:

that despite Northern Ireland having a devolved government, “the place is beginning to feel like a colony again”.

This was BEFORE the Windsor Framework debacle. If he is feeling that, what is really happening in moderate Unionism? Will the support for the Union continue to drop? I can't see anything else happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭jh79

This has come up before. Polling for a UI is inconsistent as people move between being pro unity and undecided. There has been no real increase or decrease in support for unity since about 2017.

Better to look at support for the Union in the same polls. This has been rock solid for the same period at around 50%. From this it can be concluded that there is no increase in support for NI leaving the UK.

A poll of polls intention is to show the trend and the trend is a fall in support for the Union with a rise in the support for a UI.

Could you get me one of those crystal balls you have? Do they all have a nationalist leaning? As I said, be careful of the hope, it’s a real killer when it doesn’t happen.

I’m all ears if you guys can tell me the key reasons why you would like these two countries United.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Just rephrase the question as why we might want this one country reunited, and it pretty well answers itself.

Nationalist want the country united for the same reason that unionists want to remain in the UK. You should understand that without difficulty.

The Union isn’t even giving unionists what they want anymore.

Do you really have to me Mistic Meg to extrapolate that Irish only will be the highest identity in OWC by the next census from this data.

The number of people who are ‘British only’ is down from 722,400 in 2011 to

606,300 in 2021. This fall is counterbalanced, but only partially, by increases

in the number of people who identify as ‘British and Northern Irish’, up from

111,700 in 2011 to 151,300 in 2021, and by those who identify as ‘British, Irish

and Northern Irish’, up from 18,400 in 2011 to 28,100 in 2021.

• In contrast, the number of people who are ‘Irish only’ is up from 457,500 in

2011 to 554,400 in 2021. There has also been an increase in the number of

people who identify as ‘Irish and Northern Irish’, up from 19,100 in 2011 to

33,600 in 2021, and in those who identify as ‘British, Irish and Northern Irish’

up from 18,400 in 2011 to 28,100 in 2021.

And yes I identify myself irish and would probably vote to have Ireland in one jurisdiction when/if the time comes

I think it’s a very fair question that requires a deeper answer. I’d like each of you personally to give a sense of why unite the two countries (and that would be a good starting point as that’s the position of the United Nations - it might be nice to work in the realms of fantasy, but for a wee while stick with reality that it’s not one country)

• Advertisement

His is a very weak answer. Just posing the views of 40 people.

I wonder could everyone give an honest sense of why? And if you’re giving lots of reasons then it would be great if you prioritised them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement