Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

It hasn't since at least 1986 as far back as the bulletins go in a warm season month that I'm aware of.

The closest that I've seen was August 1997 with 25.9C but it was beaten by Kilkenny 26.1C.

To be confirmed however.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

that really is surprising, I didn't think it was possible to reach 24c anywhere in Ireland on that weekend. I think the highest temperatures most of us got that weekend was 21 or 22c, outside of that weekend we have been all stuck in the mid to high teens, sometimes low teens which is absolutely disgraceful for this time of the year.

My local station Dunsany is now sitting at 107mm of rainfall, only 20mm shy of March 2023 and we will easily get that 20mm of rainfall this weekend alone. Needless to say July 2023 will end up being the wettest month of the year up to this point and could well end up being contender for wettest month of 2023 if we don't have any spectacularly wet months during autumn and December 2023. Temperature wise we are currently running half a degree below average and this may fall further over the remaining 11 days of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭alentejo

yet again I am in the office awaiting the 5.30 rain deluge which seems to either catch me while cycling home or causes me to await in the office until the rain subsides at around 6.15pm.

I often say to others that cycling in Dublin, rain is the exception rather than the norm. I can truly say that this July has been the wettest for a while. I think its the timing of the rain, seems really to rain outside the 9 to 5 working day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭esposito

Just leave the office earlier, say 4/4.30 and work from home for the remainder.

All about flexibility post covid, employee power etc.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Another crap afternoon here in Meath, shower after shower from the north-west crossing south-eastwards over Meath and on into Dublin, this has been the scene over the past 2 dryer days during the afternoons and evenings, no escape from the unsettled conditions at all. Shower number 3 now on going with a 4th one lining itself up for this direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Saw someone mention it as being very humid today. I actually felt it quite the opposite. The temp in my location is 15 degrees with 60% humidity wouldn’t think that’s anything other than decidedly cool especially for this time of year. Maybe elsewhere it’s different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Very pleasant in Cork again today 🙂

I think in general the west and south hasn't done too bad past 2 days with mostly dry conditions but the north west down to Northern half of Leinster has seen fairly frequent showers during the afternoons over past few days and today has felt particularly cool. Tomorrow might offer the best opportunity for some dryness before the rain gets going in the evening.

Hasn’t done too bad is right Gonzo but for many of us outside of Cork it’s been pretty unremarkable. To my mind it’s cool very little in fact no sun today thankfully no wind

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭appledrop

We have been lucky again in NCD it seems, it did rain at 5pm but we escaped the showers the rest of you had in afternoon, I was just home in time to bring in my two loads of dry washing!

Today definitely felt cooler than previous days but very pleasant when sun did come out( for brief periods)

I might have to stop giving out to my husband for not cutting the grass so if you are all saying it's too wet😁, but it looks awful with those whiteflowers all over it all the time, never remember a year as bad for them.

Yes, yes I know someone will tell me good for bees but sorry I don't like the grass looking like that. I've loads of other bee friendly flowers in my front and back garden so they are well looked after.

• Advertisement

another deluge shower here in Meath, shower number 7 for the day in what has been a fairly wet second half of today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,237 ✭✭✭highdef

Shite day in Trim as will. One torrential, two very heavy and a couple of others that you still wouldn't want to be caught in, combined with it being cool to almost cold at times.

Post edited by highdef on

• Registered Users Posts: 15,400 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Like a great big damp feckin' spider coming towards us, another washout weekend on the way, charts are horrible. Brief period of dryness early in the east on Friday, that's about the best of it

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

It's fine for him , he's in Canada and doesn't have to suffer the consequences if he's wrong on our weather 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I've a feeling we'll be in rain warnings this weekend and as for this summer as a whole it's looking so wet reminds me of 2012 , I think that's why I'm so down in myself as well, this honestly feels like lockdown the same thing, day after day and little change

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Another Saturday where we're going to get the worst of the crap.

For feck sake bad and all as it is, why is it the weekends are just awful compared to most of the weekdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,400 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Its July 2015 all over again, lets hope August isnt as bad as that year which was awful too, at least we had a decent spell in June which that year didnt have.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭adocholiday

I'm supposed to be starting 2 weeks of leave today but cancelled the second one based on the charts because no way I'm burning up my holidays to sit inside looking out at the rain. At least the first week I'll be guaranteed some summer weather on the continent!

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭boetstark

Absolutely.

I couldn't believe the headline news on the online version of The Independent yesterday.

A Dublin couple in Greece at the moment. Its so hot it's so dangerous , the sea is boiling , blah blah blah.

Guess what , its late July in Southern Greece , its always around those temps. Between 1992 and 1995 we spent a number of weeks every summer travelling around Crete , Rhodes , Kos , paros etc. Temps always in high 30's and yes sometimes early 40's. I remember one year travelling from Rhodes Town to Linda's and the temps were in 40'S. People just got on with it , stayed hydrated and plenty sunscreen.

Now such sensationalist shite.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭mcburns07

It suits the climate change narrative. I am far from a climate change denier but the standards of reporting in the mainstream media is on a par with weather reporting ie horrendous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Did you see the report on how beaches are empty in the Algarve? We holiday there almost every year and have temps ranging from low 20s to mid 30s. At the moment on some of the local pages people are saying how cool it is at night. Now it's always cool at night there but it's cooler than normal. I'm also not a climate change denier. You can see the changes if you look around but the standards of journalism currently are so so low.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭brookers

Yes we were in Thessaloniki last year and waiting to go into chemist in q, said 42c, it was roasting at night time, couldn't sleep etc, we

were not surprised, it was august, it is Greece, always roasting and the sea is always like a warm bath. Yesterday my hair got wet whilst

swimming in the sea here in Ireland and I got a chill, couldn't get the heat into me all day, had blanket around my legs in a conservatory trying

to keep warm. Had thick track suit bottoms on and a fluffy zip up and two t shirts...........

No rain yet but find it quite chilly. Overcast mostly odd break in the clouds but very in keeping with the rest of this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Rain has arrived

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Ardent

North Kildare and I can't get over how cold it is for this time of the year. Can we have some of this continental heat please?!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭pauldry

Up there anyways we had a heavy shower but cloudy n dry currently. 2.1mm from this weekends washout so far...

Total for July 117.3mm

Only 6mm in total on Monday to Thursday work days typical. And all that was on the mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Also in North Kildare today and yesterday and I agree it is very chilly today and yesterday. A fair breeze today adding to it. Personally I hate the heat, so I'm OK with it.

Dull and dreary today but dry so far. I'm grateful for a brief respite in this sodden month. The birds who live in my garden trees seem to be making the most of it. The three of them seem to go into hiding during the wet days.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

So two wet and overcast days in a row again just like last weekend. We won't see the Sun till Sunday according to Met Eireann. I am just glad I got a day at the beach earlier in the week.

Rain has arrived torrential for the last 30 minutes. Horrible. Give me the heat any day over this appalling shite.

• Advertisement

Two good days back to back in Cork. Today is overcast with rain threatening. Apart from the very heavy rain Tuesday morning, it's been a passable week (relatively speaking of course!). Wednesday was lovely.

One thing that has definitely made the weather more tolerable here in Cork is that most of the three big rain events, which have delivered the vast majority of the rain we have had this month, have happened largely overnight (the lady cutting my hair yesterday mentioned this and it turns out she was right) and have been followed by quick clearances. We've also managed to miss a lot of the shower trains.

We're on 112m of rain for the month in Cork Airport (and counting) which is a huge amount, with more to come over the following days. However, we've had plenty of dry days and appear to have had a relatively good amount of sun compared to other stations.

The big rain events so far this month have been:

6th (27m)

14th (26.5m)

17th-18th (20m)

Remarkably, we hit 20 degrees (max 20.6) for the first time this month on the 18th. I wonder when that last happened?

The maximum temperature on the 3rd was a miserable 15.8 and then worse again, 15.6 on the 6th. Brutal.

A bad month here, but made more tolerable by some decent sunshine and the rain mostly hitting us overnight. Slim pickings but beggars can't be choosers.

Advertisement