Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removal of Tullamore MW mast.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,811 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Far from RTE "not being involved" they owned 50% of the project.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

RTE were involved with atlantic 252.

it was a joint partnership between them and if i remember correctly RTL.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 PatrickHam

That's right with Luxembourg and Later CTL. Atlantic had good DJs full of energy and a good buzz. No bad news all the time like radio now. I know some a the Djs moved to RTE and UK and one or two passed away not too long ago.

I did hear from a contractor about Ballycommon that it won't see August. Will be a change to landscape

• Registered Users Posts: 34,811 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Atlantic 252 didn't have to suffer the ridiculous current BAI requirements, thankfully.

A music station that can play music, perish the thought! No you have to have news, "current affairs" (usually worthless inane phone-in chatter) and Irish language content which causes everyone to switch channel

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Fieldboy10

I hear the mast comes down on the 25th July.

I suspect both will as I can see activity on tower today in Summerhill , only a public tender for one tower in Tullamore to be taken down . RTE did say they would not dismantle Summerhill but I guess not true.

Yes indeed all new lights seem to have been removed from Summerhill, so it too looks like mast is coming down

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

Exciting times ahead then

All out now in Tullamore, noting in the Meath papers yet, but the people in the area didn't have any problem with the tower . The Clarkstown tower will be shortly after Tulllamore by the looks of things.

• Advertisement

Referring to Tullamore tower , summerhill the locals didn't want it in the area. How things have changed now we have 1000s of tower's

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Antenna

It will be the disappearance of a significant landmark for travelers in that midland area, both day and night (lit), road users and also travellers on the canal which passes nearby. So a notable event, similar to if the Poolbeg chimneys were to be demolished for Dubliners (out of use for several years). Yes the chimneys were saved from plans to be demolished.

Clarkstown going as well would result in the Mullaghanish mast on the Cork/Kerry border taking the mantle of the tallest structure in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭tinytobe

Any dates for Summerhill to be taken down are not confirmed, I take it?

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Unknownability

The Ballycommon mast is coming down on the 25th of July between 10:30 & 13:00.

I hope that video footage is made about the great fall of the giant medium wave mast, I'm glad I got the opportunity to take multiple photos as I've only visited the site once.

I'm not too sure when the long wave mast is coming down, but its just a matter of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

If one was to hypothetically, be in Tullamore on July 25th... around 10:30 - 13:00hrs ... where would be a good place to see the tower demolition operation? (asking for a friend).

I'd say the canal would be the best either end. There isn't really any other close access I think

I would say Summerhill mast would be down the same week as it's lights seem to have been removed. But I'd say RTE don't want any attention on it as they closed it due too no money. Only money for the executives and wine and dine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Surely if Clarkestown is to be felled, that the same tendering process followed for the Tullamore mast must equally apply to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,119 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

If it's lights have been removed then it was done since the weekend; it was flashing away at 2AM on Sunday morning gone.

• Advertisement

The New lights were removed as I saw them been lowered, the old lights are back on. The New lights were put up two years ago.

I saw no tender online for Summerhill, not sure how that works but I'm sure they are thinking of an excuse

We'll await with abated breath.

I can also see sand bags a lot of them in Summerhill, binoculars are handy. Sand bags not a good sign

Are they some kind of explosives?

I have no doubt that the two masts could go down next week, keep an eye out and see what's going on, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,119 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

So you are telling us that they recently hired in a crew to replace the less than 3 year old lights off of a mast that you also tell us that is coming down next week. Possibly even with explosives.

Who's the engineer doing all of this? Eamon Cooke?

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭TheBMG

I’ve never heard of any radio tower being brought down by controlled explosion

(unless by sabotage - not unknown in the heady days of the 1980s pirates!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Yep, don't they normally just cut one or two of the guy wires and let it come down that way?

It's popular in the US to blow the stays one side but not all. It might depend on the number is stays a the way you want It to fall or break in the middle. That only from my views on the net

• Advertisement

I assume that the need to keep lights working in Summerhill as its close to airport and the use as a guide. But at night they are the old lights. As said before and the insulators are new also on the wires. They will be destroyed if It comes down.

Advertisement