Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Probably a rainfall warning later today for the NW

Today - Today will be mostly cloudy with outbreaks of rain and drizzle moving southeastwards across the country. Rain will turn prolonged or heavy at times, particularly in the north and west, which may cause localised flooding.

Tonight- Tonight will be wet and misty with further outbreaks of rain and drizzle, some heavy bursts and spot flooding expected, especially later. 

Tomorrow - Saturday will be mostly wet and misty with ongoing outbreaks of rain, heavy and persistent at times, especially early on and across Ulster throughout. Humid with top temperatures of 16 to 19 or 20 degrees, best values across Leinster. 

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Yesterday was a very nice day in Galway. I don't think it rained at all. The evening was lovely. The sea temps are perfect.

Today started ok but we have rain now and it looks like it's down for the day.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Rain has arrived here in Meath, managed to get a smallest window to get the grass cut just before the rain hit. We are now in for an almost uninterrupted 72 hour spell of rain, drizzle, mist and dank conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭pad199207

Heavy Showery Rain has arrived in Kildare

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

In the process of booking some time in Spain, I want that heat. The 'heatwave' in southern Spain and other Mediterranean regions is being very much overplayed in the media. I have been going to Spain all my life and temperatures into the low 40s is normal for many parts of inland southern and central Spain as well as Italy and Greece in particular. Listening to the media you would swear temperatures of 40+c never happened before in Spain, Italy and Greece until this summer. They get this every single summer without fail. The 20 to 25c Isoterm sits over the south-eastern half of Spain for most of the summer every single year and these are the sort of temperatures you would expect from such a regular setup every June to August. It can even happen in early September but temperatures of 35c or more start to become much more rare as you reach mid September.

I have experienced temperatures into the low 40s right down to the coast in Spain all through my childhood and teenage years. If you have ever spent time in places like Seville or Cordoba you will know that temperatures of 40 to 42c happen almost weekly throughout the summer, that is the form horse for that part of the world and they just get on with it, they know how to deal with it.

I think the warmest temperatures I ever experienced was in the late 1980s where it got to 43c near Malaga and it wasn't unbearable, all you had to do was put suncream on and dip in the pool or the sea for 30 minutes then go back to lying in the shade under an umbrella sipping a coke or eating an ice cream.

This is why they have the Siesta period in Spain during the afternoon where shops and schools etc close for a few hours in the afternoon so people can take a break from the heat and resume business later in the evening from 5pm onwards. There is air conditioning everywhere and shutters on the windows to keep the rooms cool. Temperatures of 40C happens far less often down near the coast in the Costa Del Sol compared to areas further inland but they do get the odd day or pair of days where 40C does happen right down to beach level, but most of the time the temperatures are generally 28 to 34c.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭appledrop

I think we have done very well in NCD this week, apart from nighmare rain on Tues, we have managed to be out every other day, until 5pm most days.

It has rained here but only really in late afternoon/ early evening.

Now it hasn't been all that sunny or warm but I will take it after rain last week on our ' holidays'.

However it's terrible that we are going to have another washout weekend, not fair on those in work all week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Another lovely winters day in the middle of summer...ireland pays the price for the summer weather in the rest of europe...and thats every summer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Cool, breezy with heavy showers in Lucan. Autumnal. Just heard it described as a "heavy muggy night" on radio in reference to conditions for the Bohs/Shels match - must be being played in a different Dublin!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Another very useable day in Cork, 19 degrees and only some very light showers. One of the positives of this weather is the lawn loves it 🙂

…. no idea how to upload portrait photos the correct way on this bloody website!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Dazler97

It was 44.2c in malaga on Wednesday, the highest I experienced was 42c in Portugal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

“Heatwave”

Spanish met - “In fact, the first 17 days of July have been the third-warmest on record behind 2022 and 2015," AEMET tweeted.

The highest temperature ever recorded in Catalonia (NE Spain) since official records began was registered at Figures, the Darnius Boadella reservoir and the village of Navata on Tuesday, all of them in the northern county of Alt Empordà.

Temperatures in Figures reached 45.3°C, 1.5°C more than the previous high of 43.8°C recorded in the western village of Alcarràs in 2019.

The previous record was also surpasessed in Darnius (45.1°), Navata (45.1°), Anglès(44.8°C), Artés (44.4°C), Banyoles (44.2°C) and Castellnou de Seana (44°C), and equalled in Bisbal d'Empordà (43.8°C).

43.7C was recorded in the Balearic Islands.

Rome recorded its highest ever temperature. 46.3c in Sicily.

While you could argue it got too much attention in the media, let’s not go the complete opposite way and try to make it out like it was nothing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Well if they get temperatures in the 40s every summer then its no surprise if it went a little bit over...if they get temperatures close to the record every year then its just normal weather...if we had records going back 200 or 300 years sure the record could be 50 degrees for all we know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Longing

13 degrees today at my nearest station one of the coldest July evenings in a long time. It will be interesting to see were this July ranks as one of the warmest or coldest and will it be talked about in the media. I think i might be searching for hens teeth apart from Met Eireann 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A damp dark wet horrible evening here in Castlebar. Thankfully a few good concerts on BBC 4. High stool tomorrow i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭pauldry

Sligo got 5mm of rain today so no last weekend. We need 65mm to equal or 63mm if you count Thursday. There could be 20mm tomorrow but Sunday will be 21c in Sligo due to warm July afternoon. So get tomorrow outta da way and plan outdoorsy stuff in the North and West could be after lunch before clearance in Southeast. Monday and Tuesday should be OK too more rain Wednesday.

An absolute deluge currently here in Meath. Could not view boards over the past few hours with a Cloudflare issue unless I was logged out on another browser, seems fixed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Too wet to cut the grass yesterday. It looks like Sunday and Monday should see it dry out. We hopefully will see an improvement to more sustained settled weather during the first week of August.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭highdef

Was in castlebar for a removal this evening. First time there in a long long time and it was just as wet and miserable as the previous times about 16 years ago when I was traveling semi regular to there over a six month period or so. In fact, the entire drive back from there to Trim was very wet until I crossed back into Leinster and it was just damp once I got passed longford town.

• Advertisement

The grass is jumping out of the ground at the moment. So is everything else in the garden.

Not much to be said for the weather in Cork this morning - miserable as expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,953 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Grand morning here in Kildare so far certainly not as bad as expected, looks like today will be fine with showers incoming this evening.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Another dark dream Saturday.

Dull and overcast yesterday Meath. Managed a dry walk on the beach in my geansaí. All the dark colours of the sky all around. Rain kicked off around 5pm for the evening on and off. Loud intervals of rain at midnight, 130am.

Haven't seen a blue sky in ages 😔

Thought it was chilly yesterday evening you could really feel it, more like mid September than mid July.

Lashing this morning, at least we knew it was coming.

A low cloud base here in Castlebar making for a dark morning . Dry at the minute, but not for long.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Sun's out in Greystones and it's feeling mild. 17c.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭US3

31c having breakfast by the pool. 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭pad199207

Lol

• Advertisement

Advertisement