Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭cosatron

fair play for driving on post quota, we were just happy not to get caught for superlevy every year 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 11,201 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

First paragraph bang on

sexond paragraph …buying that 20 acres could ruin a great system ….could make it too ….if it ain’t right it ain’t right no point breaking yourself to get it

would it be so bad to drop some cows …and expensive rental land with it ….this is an option lots of us will have to look at and so be it if we’ve to drop a few cows ….nitrates is already going to force our hands ….can be made up for by improving efficiencies and getting more milk and solids from less cows

nitrates is going to force a more intensive system on me to protect my income ….gone contract rearing this year …milk through without calving any cows in back end targeting better forages etc etc

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Would it be fair to say a less grass based system?.no agenda just I personally can't see how we are going to protect turnover with the regs coming down the tracks

Be at grass as much as possible but will get maize/wc buffer throughout year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,626 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I'd be happy to see a system where where a beneficiary could elect to have zero tax relief but the taxman would take some equity in the land, and where that equity decreases over a set period once it was being actively farmed.

e.g. You could have 33% due (after allowances) on the day you inherit if you just want to pay up or you could elect to give the taxman an initial 40% equity (after allowances) but that the equity would go back to you at 2% per year. So that after 20 years, you'd be back at 100% ownership. If the beneficiary dies within 20 years, the taxman's equity goes to zero and it can begin with the subsequent beneficiary.

Such a system would achieve what is presumably the intended purposes of the relief which would be to protect the viability of genuine farming operations. While also reducing the attractiveness of land to wealthy people with no connection to farming who just bid up the price of land to use it as an instrument to pass on their wealth efficiently to the next generation.

Genuine operations would also have the option to go the business relief route anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭TokenJogger

Not in the role he's in, not in any role below team lead or manager and absolutely not ever for 35/39 hours. It's important that he knows this and you do too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Worked at cows for a number of years till got fed up of them, have seen many systems over the years, but one of the best was an 80 to 100 cow herd with a lim bull and buying in incalf heifers from same source every year with a father and son team, the son had a electrical business going with two lads working for him, the son or one the lads would milk a certain amount of morning and evening milkings and the father the rest, sold all caves at 3 weeks old and in the summer the father would collect parts for the son, there is merits to every farm system and what suits that farm. As an old teacher in ag college use to say everyone is outstanding in their own field.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

You're way off there, €70k at 5yrs, €120k at 10yrs is what you'd expect for a finance role, after that it can either plateau or the high achievers move onto another level, three siblings at it here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

• Advertisement

Both. Round me there's Coke, Baxter and Allergen, all would be paying that

• Registered Users Posts: 18,565 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Ya he be fairly capable. To really move on above the 100k++ it about work ethic, ability, capability and the willingness to adapt.

He is Dublin based at present. There is several levels. You have the guys that came out with first class degrees out of the maths and finance courses in universities ( most of these courses are 480 points++ )

The lads doing these courses that come out with top degrees are in demand. Ya poor money at the start in Dublin but after that it a fast trajectory.

On the second level you have lads that have decent degrees in these or other disciplines such as economics or accountancy.

On the third level you have the people with ordinary degrees. The second level top out at 100-150 k usually. The third level at 50-80k.

The top tier is totally different. You could plateau at 100-150 k and head a very nice lifestyle in the banking, private or public sector. If you want it and are willing to travel the opportunities are huge. Most of the top lads would have had enough points to do medicine, veterinary or dentistry but would not be challenged at these professionals unless they went down the consultant route

A lad around the same age as my eldest lad ( 30iish) is over in a banking London. His mother says the money he is earning is ''obscene''. Young lad estimates 200k sterling+. He is a vice president of a division within an American bank.

Vice president are really an American banking term for a senior executive below a CEO

Slava Ukrainii

This genotyping scheme must be getting fairly poor numbers applying considering extended application date and from what we’re led to believe circa 200000 cows signed up as of middle of this week ….our coop has sent numerous text messages sent out

I would say your degree only has an impact for the first five or so years, after that its about ability, after 10 years its immaterial where you went to college or what you did, its about what work you've done

• Registered Users Posts: 6,681 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Lads have the right idea staying out of it to be honest, the whole bvd bulls**t testing fiasco that's still ongoing has most of us steering well clear, you also run the risk of mixing samples up etc and the hassle of sorting out incorrect dams etc, and calves then going over 42 days, snooty letters of the department

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭straight

I was thinking the same. I've been genotyping my own here for the past 7 years so I wouldn't have as much to gain from it as most people. I entered into the greenbreed program with Icbf years ago and they were supposed to genotype my herd but they eventually decided not to bother holding up their side of the contract. Ran out of money they said, must have blown the budget on their own wages. I said I'd be slow to get involved with any scheme with them again.

Sh1t will be your thanks anyway when you take your fine high CBV calf to the mart.

wow, if them lads keep the head and stay grounded won’t they have a lot sorted by the time they are 40. More power to them

You are right to an extent. However a large percentage the lads with the good degrees out of the good courses would along with being extremely bright would generally be good workers. It hunger that will drop e after that.

When you get that far along the line it not necessarily about the money it often about the ability to deal and to manage what you are doing.

For all the talk from people that you would retire at that stage few do most continue on.

Ya you might think you be set up but it can be a case of work hard play hard. Mercedes Maybach, Range Rover or a BMW 7 series, spouse driving a LC or X5 to carry the kids to school.

Expensive house etc. It hard to get off the Rhino when things are going well

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

The whole finance sector doesn't deserve to be put on that pedestal. Any sector can challenge the very brightest person even lowly agriculture.

Finance is a parasite on the rest of us not always deserving of it's rewards.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,626 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

There would be a very weak correlation between "brightness" and achievement in most areas of finance. Most of the middle management types of course wouldn't like to hear that as it would distract from their self-congratulation, but it is the truth. While your degree subject won't matter - unless in a technical role - it will have some bearing on getting your foot on the ladder. Where you studied will be as important in practice.

For your last point though, finance is necessary and important.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Jack98

The 200k figure would be correct I have a mate working for citi bank and all the big American investment banks would commend that kind of salary at VP level but you will trade your life for the job.

When you talk about levels of jobs, entry finance jobs would be junior b and management roles in investment banking are inter county standard so to speak.

The rewards are big as are the sacrifices and commitment needed at that level.

Finance is what it states Finance. the tweo big jobs in any company is the CEO and CFO. Most CEO severve a time as a CFO. As @Donald Trump stated it all about getting on the ladder. read the early life part of Micheal O'Leary and the first line of his Ryanair Career.

Getting you foot on the ladder is the important thing. I lay odds that Trinity College Business and Economics is a near enough 500 point course.

jusy on second tier. Richard Collins RTE CFO has a degree out of TCD in Business Studies, He did a post Grad in Accountancy in UCD and is a chartered Acountant.

Charles Munger was studing Mathematics when he left to serve in the army during WWll, the army send him to stud Meteorology. He went to Harvard through the GI bill to study law. He is the other half of Berkshire Hathway with Buffet.

Look through a lot of companies from the big to the small and most of the top executives will have degrees in Maths, finance accoutancy or similar

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dmakc

Office work, particularly for anyone with farming backgrounds, can be soul destroying. Society quotes the gross income when it all goes to the government anyway. Tax is the great equaliser. For every 5k my salary increases, 2.5k goes to me, 2.5k goes to Anto in D1.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭TokenJogger

. . . below team lead or manager. Nobody is getting 120k for a junior role to suggest so is ludicrous.

It's about amount earned versus time required and your free time and quality of life

When you get to 100k+, unless you're an idiot( which is seldom the reality in your 30's) you quickly figure the avoidance mechanisms.

Even at that in the worst case scenario you are managing senarios that happen every second week at worst.

Everything is about managing the workload is expodential and the ability to manage it is a reverse expodential

Slava Ukrainii

Keeping up with the joneses! What’s that saying, your level of expenditure rises to meet your level of income

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

• Registered Users Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I see the boss of Wicklow calf company has taken to tiktok to respond to the Prime Time programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭Base price

• Advertisement

Sounds like he didn’t get fair play at all by rte

Advertisement