Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secret Invasion - Disney+ (***Spoilers***)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,832 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

My guess is he was talking with a Mutant.

We are getting closer and closer each series and movie now to the X-Men arriving.

It could be Abigail Brand.

But I really do hope it’s Coulson and May.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,223 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Well,

It would make sense if it was Monica Rambeau and/or Carol Danvers as it would help set up the scene we saw in The Marvels teaser

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Cotts72

I'm going to guess that Marvel may re"brand" Ghia as Abigail brand going forward...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,087 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

oh, never thought of that but going off how Brand is in current run of comics (worked with the anti-mutant org, Orchis against the Mutants, Shiar and rest of universe ) I doubt Ghia would care more about Humans than her own people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,299 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

This weeks episode was decent I thought, Olivia Colman absolutely chewing the scenery and loved every second she was on screen. Only one episode to go.

Stop teasing us already Marvel lets get the X-Men back!

Fury obviously still has a few powerful friends when he can get a private jet sorted and call on the head of SIS. Nice to see O-T Fagbenle popping up again, bit random only other marvel thing he was in was Black Widow right?

The raid on the house was fun but that kill team weren't exactly good shots...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,046 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

In general Brand has always been more personal power driven rather than species loyal.

Shes always been space based and Clarke was rumored to be playing Brand to begin with. So would line up, I'd forgot that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Cotts72

I think the whole point of the last ep was to guide Ghia to think more like Talos did and work towards coexisting with humans and let go of the resentment she held

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I watched the first episode last week and the shock that should have come at the ending was spoiled by Cobie Smulders not being named in the opening credits - meaning Hill was either going to be incapacitated or killed as she wasn’t a main cast member.

And the series is off to a wobbly start by not explaining why these Skrulls are on Earth when Danvers took the refugees with her at the end of CAPTAIN MARVEL and part of their anger is because she never found a planet for them.

Have the Powers That Be ever explained why Carol never came back to Earth? Or is it being kept for the THE MARVELS ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

He always stands out.

And yes the Moscow outdoor locations screamed Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

They go into why the Skrulls are on Earth in decent detail as the show goes on - it is the driver of the main narrative and actually impacts a key element of the history of the entire MCU.

This was never going to be where we get details on Carol and I wouldnt be surprised if they never go into great detail on why she never came back to live on earth. Her explanation that the earth didn't need her makes sense - it was doing fine without her and she'd seen up close all the bad stuff the Kree had been up to and probably a lot of other terrible things that she felt she could help out there, knowing that Fury had a way to contact her if she was really needed. It wasn't as if she had much to come back to, just one friend who had moved on and had a family. Carol had spent nearly as much of her adult life in space as on Earth when she left and probably understood that if she lived on Earth she'd have to keep her powers secret.

Obviously the main driver of keeping her off earth is her power level and her late arrival to the MCU but what we've been given thus far as explanation is grand.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Caught the second episode, mostly cos I wasn't sure what to watch instead. This was an improvement, with a bit more intrigue and conspiracy - and a surprising amount of blood and violence. That said, it's crying out for a little panache, cos these episodes looked so dull and pedestrian; if they were gonna have a street level show, they needed to put more effort into the direction cos it's all so plodding and flat. Close up, reverse, medium shot. Repeat.

Plus, the rules of the shape shifting continue to irrationally irritate me: they only change their skin and appearance ... except when they don't and their clothes change too. But then one of the latter had their shirt taken off, so how does that work?

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,252 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Finale out

Proof G'iah is a villain. Only bad guys know how to use their new powers immediately, as seen in all previous superhero movies that involve the hero learning the powers throughout and the bad guy getting powers near the end.

Who was the ice power when she formed the spike?

So did the president just make enemies of New Asgard?

Rhodey unable to walk so post Civil War but they remained vague about how long he was there. I know someone suggested he was replaced while in hospital after that, which would explain the gown.

And considering what they established earlier, was it really a great idea to let everyone go without protection from the radiation being arranged?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,131 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Ice power was from a Frost Beast, stayed on Earth at the end of Thor The Dark World. Gravik/Giah already had that power before The Harvest at the same time they got Groot & Extremis powers.

And yeah, looks like Rhodey was taken around Civil War, which means he doesn't know about Tony's death or the whole Blip stuff. Should be interesting for Armor Wars.

As I said previous, bit disappointing throughout. They never really capitalised on the premise of Skrulls being anyone. Small bits here and there, but they set up various world leaders and influential media figures being Skrulls in Episode 2, then did nothing with that except just showed a montage of them being killed (or the real people being accidentally killed because vigilantes thought they were Skrulls) in this episode. A complete waste of what should have been the selling point of the show; the paranoia of not knowing who is or isn't a Skrull, how long they've been here, what have they been manipulating. Apart from Rhodey, they basically just always showed us instantly who was a Skrull. Instead it boiled down to CGI fight between two super-skrulls, and all I could think of when I saw Giah fighting was:

Sam Jackson, Don Cheadle, Ben Mendelsohn and Olivia Colman were all great throughout. Emilia Clarke was pretty good too, as was Ben Kingsley-Adair. Nothing wrong with the performances. Just wasted potential imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,252 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Hmm, that picture can mean probably what you don't want it to mean when using it to refer to watching Emilia Clarke. 😃

Ah yeah forgot they had the powers from the previous upgrade. So was trying to think of the characters in Endgame.

I was confused about the frost beast too only it showed up on the computer in episode 2 along with Groot, Cull Obsidian and Extremis and someone else mentioned here about the beast in Thor TDW (because who remembers anything that happened in that film). Neither of them used that power until now though. My first thought was Loki until I remembered he died before the battle anyway.

Not really sure why they bothered with all the different powers anyway. Most of the time it was just either use a big muscle arm for punching, or use Captain Marvel powers, and she has super-strength anyway. The Harvest could have just been Cap.Marvel's DNA and the final fight wouldn't have been any different really, maybe aside from Gravik using Ebony Maw's magic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I'd think that Rhodey would have been taken after end game.

The skrull weren't all rebely before the blip when fury was still in control, and after the blip it was after the battle that Fury had Gravik and the other skrull collect the DNA giving him the idea for his super skrull.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,046 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Well that was kind of meh. Still finding it hard to see where all the money went!

Series highlight by far Olivia Colman. Kingsley Ben-Adir also solid.

I think I am pretty much decided at this stage Emilia Clarke is a bad actress. Genuinely can't think of her being great in anything.

It was a decent premise but poorly executed overall. Plus now some decent people likely finished in MCU.

So how long has Rhodey been skrull Rhodey?!!

The power switching fight between Gravik and G'iah looked absolutely shocking in places. I am sure some Easter eggs around the powers.

I was kind of finding it hard to give a toss about Fury and his Skrull missus.

We do have a seriously powerful new superhero/villain now I suppose, predictable she would end up as the new defacto leader of the skrulls. I guess SABER could also offer some interesting story options in the future.

The only other one that stood out was I think Mantis? Ghost? And seemed to be a lot of the abomination (done badly)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,714 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Ahhh... Ghost... I thought it was Sue Storm for some reason, along with Rockslide for the rocky arm

• Advertisement

Yeah, fair points. I guess a lot of the heroes don't really have interesting powers. I saw Winter Soldier's name in the list of DNA they got too. That's fairly pointless. They'd already get more strength from the other DNA, and can't change to have metal vibranium arm.

Just felt like half the fight was "Drax arm punch.... Hulk arm punch.... Cull Obsidian arm punch.... Korg arm punch... Thanos arm punch....". I think if they'd slowed it down a bit, had them try to figure out the powers, what might counter each other, struggle to use the powers a bit, combine powers in interesting ways, that might have worked better. Instead they seemed to know instantly how to use the powers, mostly just punched each other a bit, but once it got to Captain Marvel powers there was little point doing anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,832 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Over all very disappointing there is a great story in secret invasion and it all seemed so rushed to put it in 6 episodes this really is a storyline that they could have done as a full phase of the MCU in the background once they showed the Skrulls covering for Fury & Hill in Spider-Man Far From Home should have been the start of the storyline of Skrulls replacing other MCU characters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,051 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

So so disappointing. Olivia Colman pretty much carried the whole show.

Really feels like they overestimated the whole toned down spy drama schtick, which left them with massive revelations that will have huge implications for the MCU that landed like a dud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Right, so.. finished. Eh.. had moments but nothing felt like huge.

I think Olivia Colman as Sonya Falsworth was the most standout. Colman did great.

Liked Ben Mendelsohn as Talos.

Eh.. nothing else major jumping out for me. Oh.. ugh.. the dodgy fake Russia / Russians.

Maybe a missed opportunity to have had some Agents of Shield nods.

6: Oooof... those computer effects.. so bad. I guess I can take away that..

Emilia Clarke will be back. Those uber powers will have to mean something.

The show itself likely leads into the Marvels for the peace summit.

The world is turning to hate so that might feel a right fit for bringing in the X-Men.

The Emilia Clarke computer effects just threw me off in that fight. Her body mixed with the powers felt all out of proportion. When they gave he Drax arms, they were like little T-Rex arms, oh that was wierd. Then in the sky with Captain Marvel powers, her body/head ratio felt off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,819 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Really enjoyed that series ?

So is our own scroll Tommy from love/hate an Irish political hero that was kidnapped ??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

MCU is already struggling to deal with way overpowered characters and they just added an utterly crap one. Such a poor choice to end the series.

Overall I enjoyed the reveal of Fury's backstory but the show never got close to hitting the heights that it could have.

On the cost, all of these budgets are blown up due to COVID.

To me it doesn't make any sense for Rhodey to have been taken before Endgame - due to both Rhodey's actions up to that point, by repeatedly risking his life and never using his Skrull powers, and the entire Gravik storyline, if his team had replaced Rhodey years before then why would he have given the harvest to Fury. If they try to shove that storyline in, it is purely a last minute decision to give Rhodey a better story for Armour Wars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,051 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Adding to your 3rd paragraph - if Rhodey was a Skrull in Endgame, then that Skrull was with the remaining avengers when they found Thanos on his retreat planet - an entirely empty planet that could have been suitable for the Skrulls????

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

Well that was a whole lot of nothing. Not just a poor Marvel show, but a really terrible show in general. The plot, the direction, the editing, the action, all boring, lifeless and painfully amateurish. And the dialogue, sheesh! I felt sorry for a lot of the actors involved, having to spew so much of that garbage. I hope a good portion of the sinful cost of this series went straight into their pockets as compensation.

Of all the Disney+ Marvel shows released so far, I think the only one I'd ever consider rewatching was What If? Marvels Netflix output, as flawed as it was, was head and shoulders above the mostly middle of the road dross they've produced so far on D+.

I can see how it makes sense but also how it doesn't. SkRhodey's actions, even his mourning of Tony, can be explained by him being hooked up to the real Rhodey, so those emotions and how he acts can probably feel just as real when you're truly in character. There's also the line in Endgame between him and Nebula after she looks at her robotic arm and says she wasn't always like this, he replies "Me neither, but we work with what we got". At the time it felt like he was talking about his legs, but it could also be retconned into being a line about being a Skrull.

We don't know how long Gravik has been gestating this plan for. Seems he was still working for Fury after Endgame as he collected the dna for the Harvest and handed it over willingly to Fury. Maybe SkRhodey and other Skrulls took over their people to be in places of power before there was an actual plan. Hard to know.

The thing that throws me off though, is in Endgame when Thanos' ship destroys the facility and Rhodey has to get out of his armour to help Rocket, he has to crawl over to him because of his legs. If he was a Skrull then, he's a real method actor.

Let's face it, it's definitely going to be shoehorned in regardless of whether there are continuity errors or not. They wouldn't have had any plans for Secret Invasion at the time of Endgame, so they'll just do what they can to make it all fit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,223 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Would have been funny if the real Rhodes was played by Terrace Howard. "Really?, that guy tricked you all these years, looks nothing like me."

Anyway, this felt like a bit of a lazy effort. Once the powered fight started, I almost expected Jen Walters to pause the show and head back to K.E.V.I.N. and say to him "You're doing it again". Honestly the end of She Hulk that never happened was a better premise. It's a shame this is where Maria Hill got written out, she deserved better.

Advertisement