Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops you miss or wish were still around

Options
  • 21-07-2023 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭jonnreeks

Many second hand record stores / exchange places. The internet largely ruined hunting around for that album you couldn't usually find. Yes, it's easier but it took the fun out of it.

😲

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,106 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Argos

Debenhams

Roches Stores

Borders

Woolworths

Habitat

Pier Imports

Probably loads of others too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Archduke Franz Ferdinand

Rainbow records in Carlow town

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Trampas

Virgin megastore on Aston quay

• Registered Users Posts: 29,256 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Roches Stores.

There's bits and pieces that I randomly need every now and then that I have absolutely no idea where to get, since the demise of RS!

There's no such thing as a haberdashery any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,679 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Borders, although some of what made it special would be gone now regardless - US magazine market is in such a state it makes the UK/Ireland market look healthy; so the mags section would be tiny; ditto there'd be less DVDs and CDs about.

Maplin and/or Peats.

There are still second hand record stores around, I'm planning my occasional trip around the core 3 in Dublin (Spindizzy, RAGE, Freebird) tomorrow; Cork has loads too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

A-Wear. They used to have great sales and lovely dresses and skirts.

Maplin. Only recently I was thinking of the things I could have got there.

HMV on Henry Street. I've that store.

Clearys and the other shop that used to be at the top of Talbot Street where sports World is now.

Carphone Warehouse

Also there was a great little phone shop on the quays in the early 00s that used to do great deals on phones. Can't remember the name of it but I bought many sim free phones there mostly Nokias.

Post edited by AMKC on

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Yup. The only shopping experience I ever liked 😊 HMV was pokey and more expensive by comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Woolworths, without a doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,860 ✭✭✭✭zell12

None. I remember the first thing I bought online, Cdwow ~20 years ago, it was cheaper and post came from Hong Kong. The novelty! And then tricks to buy from different country sites. And the pain when the DVD player was region-locked and you could not play an Asian DVD.

I remember when Amazon UK launched and being so upset they would not ship to Ireland for so so so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Murder Ink , was on Dawson Street.

Stocked a huge range of US published crime fiction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I think Superquinn was a brilliant supermarket and I still really miss it. You could go in and be sure of getting something really nice. Their bakery and deli were top notch as was the fruit/veg and meats. Now it’s all generic pre-packed crap in all the supermarkets. My own local super value which is actually a good one recently stopped doing sliced meats- I was directed to the pre packed section. Utter rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭gipi

Times Past, which was on Wicklow St in Dublin (there may have been others). Loved mooching for gifts there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭scotchy

Switzers.

Frawleys.

O'Conners jeans.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users Posts: 6,356 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Maplin was way over priced. Peats was great before they started selling tat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Peats

GAME

Virgin Megastore

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭washiskin

Heatons

We Frame It

Apollo One

Times Past

Woolworths

Clearys

Boyers

• Registered Users Posts: 25,311 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Peats - a neighbour working there used to give my Dad the heads up on the sales..great staff knew their shît.

Virgin - not cheap but an enjoyable browse

Switzers - a family fave.

Clearys - much missed, again, a nice experience, an elegant department store, had EVERYTHING

Woolworths - loved the huge pick a mix as a kid

Boyers - almost giveaway sales… especially sportswear

Roaches - a Dublin institution…everything from school uniforms to groceries.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,610 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Has to be Debenhams. Mahon Point ruined for men since it left

• Registered Users Posts: 11,088 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

If you don't use them, you lose em :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,106 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

To the two who miss "Times Past" it actually was Past Times - I'd forgotten about that. It was my mother's go to for birthday presents for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭gipi

Thanks Caranica, I must be slipping!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Bridget Clarke

The old fashioned sweetshop run by two spinster sisters on the main street in our town. Shelves & shelves of jars of bulls eyes, clove drops , pear drops apple tarts etc. And on the front counter, fizzle sticks, candy cigarettes,pink sugar mice & other such delicacies. The smell in that shop was sufficient to give anybody type 2 diabetes, but it was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 BusyBee1234

I have to agree I miss Past Times very much. Also Roches stores, was great to pick up anything really, gifts and stuff for the house

• Roches Stores definitely is missed. Their former enormous Cork flagship store is about to be turned into yet another sports shop :(

Virgin Megastores were somewhere you could go almost as a destination. There’s really nothing like that anymore. You could browse and browse.

The only place that reminds me of it of it are the large FNAC stores in France.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,679 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Fnac is what the HMV-Waterstones merger should have created. Instead about all it did was dual use vouchers

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Waterstones in Cork is looking very shabby at the moment. I’m wondering if they’re going to be another victim of the UK retail contraction. It looks like they’ve really not investing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I remember going to Woolworths in Tralee when we were kids on holidays in the 80s. It was a magical place. 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Roches Stores, Frawleys, Cassidys and Woolworths

• Registered Users Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Debenhams and AWear. Good clothes shops in general that aren't aimed at 20 year old with size 8 figures! Went shopping recently and there just aren't any shops left!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Bicyclette

The Book Depository.

Roches.

O'Sullivans Childrens Shoes in Limerick - the staff were all experts at fitting children's shoes and always so nice.

Nevils Shoes in Limerick. Any time you went in there, you would find something nice. I haven't been able to find anything like it since, and I've tried.

Advertisement