Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AI Artificial Intelligence

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

The Tesla Model Y was the world's best selling car in Q1 this year. Not best selling Electric car, best seller of any car. An electric vehicle. People would have laughed at your 5 years ago if you predicted that.

Sure they had some quality issues early on but they don't have decades of production of experience like the others do. In 2018 they were only making 2000 cars a week that's peanuts, but they are now wiping the floor with everyone in many areas. Most car companies are going to be bankrupt in 10 years. They cannot make electric cars profitable and are losing thousands per vehicle. Tesla is making almost $10k and their margins are set to improve. They are only accelerating.

I get he's a polarising figure and he does and says some insanely stupid things but you can't deny what he has done. Revolutionised internet payments with Paypal, Made electric cars cool and more popular than ICE vehicles, brought solar panels and batteries to residential and commercial use, started his own rocket company and made them landing and reusable with more successful landings than anyone else had takeoffs, he's digging tunnels under the ground, making a brain computer interface, founded Opean AI, now building X.ai, soon to crack autonomous driving and is making humanoid robots. Anyone one of these things is an unimaginably difficult achievement and incredible for one person, he's done them all.

But a spoiler fell off so he's meh.

I don't consider myself a fanboy but I have to laugh at people who are critical of him - maybe they just don't really see all the things he's done. I watch his companies closely and for Tesla things are only getting going, just wait for the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Perhaps, but these are facts, which is how I form my opinions - not just because one guy I know had a bad experience.

Let's see if Tesla and his other companies continue to excel over the next few years, or will it fade out because a few cars had some spoiler issues.

Anyway Back to AI.

Most people have no idea how much things are going to change in the next few years.

If you are not using chat gpt and other ai tools to become familiar with how they can help you, you may be replaced by someone who does.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭amacca

In fairness, like him or loathe him you can't deny the level of success

Poor build quality and multiple gaffes etc etc may take the shine of things but those things still exist and they are impressive...

I wouldn't want to be next nor near they guy/be under his influence/power/employed by him etc but that doesn't mean you are a fan boy if you acknowledge what he has achieved (even if it was with the kinds of advantages someone like me would or could never have..and some of those advantages were taken by the position he clawed himself into, not given)

• Advertisement

I'd say everyone and their uncle will be a "prompt engineer" in no time ....

Where do you think the opportunities lie for people upskilling or thinking of switching roles etc

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭hymenelectra

In short, it's a terrible idea for humankind.

Even picking this forum of messages going back and forth, it wouldn't be a stretch to see how the likes of it will be populated entirely by ultra convincing "bots".

Very strange to imagine the doubt that would come when trying to converse with what you can't be 100% is another human. I'd even go as far as to say that public, secret trials are being run right now by technology companies to see if their bots can go undetected. Dangerous, in the extreme.

Not difficult to imagine the repercussions.

As a side note, science fiction can give some insight into probable futures. One that comes to mind more often than not now is from the books of Dune by Frank Herbert.

It details how humanity becomes more and more reliant on A.I. to take care of its most basic needs, to the eventual extent that they are like babies that can barely urinate without help.

It's a bit hazy in my mind now, but there are a small group of 12 or so individuals that essentially become rulers of civilisation, living each in giant robotic suits. Then they have a go at each other until there's only one left. And then the A.I overthrown that one person and humanity is enslaved for centuries until the "butlerian jihad" occurs and humanity rises up and takes back control.

The first rule the free humans decree is something like "thou shall never imitate the mind of a man".

Anyway, it's bad news. A quick glance at those behind it will tell you as much.

A quick, further point of speculation.

Personally I can see me abandoning the use of the Internet at large. It's just a weariness and fatigue of impossible stupidity and corruption and its just getting old. I can't be the only one.

If the mere suspicion that the inhabitants of the Internet are not human occurs, which is in the post, then I could see a similar mass exodus away from it all. Maybe.

That would be interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

Not sure how anyone can dump the internet in this day and age. Day to day task require use of the internet. Dumping social media is something a lot of people are doing.

For me, I've never relied on the tools of the Internet. I don't use the likes of Google maps or need a robot to tell me directions.

I'll use the map perhaps to see where I'm going, but I'll just memorise it and go. No effort.

A small example.

Beyond email and attachments and raw informational facts, I'm quite independent of it all. It would just be a case of ignoring all the rest of it in totality. It's not as difficult as it sounds. Not easy, but not difficult.

Social media is a plague. No doubts about it. If it were put to me to eliminate all "opinion" off the Internet, I would. Get back to being human.

That's a big kettle of fish though.

As I said, it'll be very interesting to see the reaction to the Internet being populated with non humans.

• Advertisement

It's a subject that gets you thinking. Here's one last thought on it.

Does "easier" mean "better" or "improvement"?

I'd say most people would be quick to say that of course convenience means something is better. I don't think so though.

Quirky example.

It would certainly be easier if everyone used motorised wheelchairs. Redesign our environments so as everything can be traversed by wheelchairs. Very convenient.

But would that be an improvement in life?

Legs withering away, losing function for the sake of convenience. Eventually becoming totally reliant on wheelchairs?

I'd say this is the bedrock upon which all these technology companies are going to make their play. "It's so convenient and easy".

But it'll come at catastrophic cost.

Examine your conveniences and ask if they are making you a better person, or a reliant person. Decent thought exercise, perhaps.

While I see the point you are making...aren't there just as valid counterpoints?

Who wants to go back to using a washboard, or communicating via telegraph or smoke signals...who wants to go back to being essentially confined to a 20/30 km radius if you don't have a horse because there is no motorised transport...although I do like the romantic notion of having months to travel using old gashioned ways, sailing, walking, camping etc...then there is the Convenience of modern medicine ....there are drawbacks to a lot maybe all advances but on the whole the advantages outweigh the drawbacks and the majority adopt/adapt...leaving those that don't behind...seems to be the way of it.

Convenience is better in a lot of cases, whether we like it or not we are wedded to at least some technological advances....

Anyone revolting against this and saying they will use less technology... Good luck! You're going to need it..

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Scipri0

I agree somewhat with this but you've got to remember that there's a few big companies like Google and OpenAI(Of which Elon Musk) has a shares/stock there. These are also the same people and corporations calling for regulations because it'll stifle the competition and they'll be able to influence the laws. The AI taking over the worl and threaten civilization is nonsense and i agree there but i feel likes that's being put out there to close it down to only a select few big players.

Also i would like to give a scenario that could happen in the future(Not Terminator!😂) but as the AI gets improved it could be used for nefarious reasons like say you could create a situation like a "Supposed terriorist attack" and all the pictures of the victims could be AI generated and vastly improved from now, and it's used as a pretense to start a war with another country because of people who never existed. The generated people will look so real that we'd not even notice and that's only one area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭crusd

The funny thing is the most effective way to distinguish AI generated fakes from what is real will probably be AI.

Advertisement