Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enough is enough? Dublin north inner city crime

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Quitelife

And thats why the scummbags are laughing at the law abiding !

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭hymenelectra

Exactly right.

But like I said, you may as well be asking for unicorns to rain.

Too many people, albeit a tiny proportion, have far too much to make of this artificial housing crisis.

Anyone could have predicted that destroying housing would create a thousand problems.

The ones who created it also could have, and would have, predicted it. And they said "fook it, mo money".

No single person, never mind an army of analysts, makes such consistent, such profitable, mistakes over long, long periods of time.

They just don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Quitelife

The sad facts are some free legal aid solicitor is licking his lips at representing these feral scummbags over this assualt for more soft blood money !

Trying to come up with some yarns to get them off as we speak!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,989 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

This thread is about Dublin ... students ... live at home ... get bus, walk, cycle, dart, train, luas ... Ebike

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭tinytobe

That is all correct. Word for word, it's exactly my opinion. And I also believe it'll be getting worse in terms of crime. There are simply no perspectives of finding a livable property for the younger generations, thus they turn to crime and violence, unprovoked attacks etc...

One solution is simply to build more residential housing, increase supply to have more choice and bring prices to a realistic level. This has of course been discussed and suggested many times, but we all know that the government set target for newly built houses won't be achieved.

Another solition is believing in promises of and voting for Sinn Fein, and we also know that most likely they won't succeed on housing as well, even though they are the only ones to at least adress the subject.

And the other solution would be that the Irish, especially the young are starting to emigrate again. If the US isn't possible for visa issues, the UK would be a choice.

Just look at cities in the UK, not London, but as close as Liverpool. In Dublin they speak about the glorious silicon docks, but look what Liverpool has managed to build facing the harbour? Or look at Manchester and their high rise construction boom, - lot's of choice of housing there, even more affordable on average jobs.

And in Dublin? Several high rise properties approved but never built, several high rises never approved as some old geezer finds them too high and is per se against high rise, whilst in other mulitnational businesses their workforce are forced to call a tree stump a tower.

It often surprises me that the US multinationals haven't left Dublin for lack of housing, or are the low corporation taxes the single reason why they stay around? Their employees can't find anything decent to live in. Even on a basic salary of 60k plus comission one only get's barely by, if one is renting a one bedroom, - that is if they can get one. And sharing with complete strangers is also no choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

jeez....thats just...fanfcukingtastic,great news...now how about the rest of us,drew?

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Blarney_man

• Registered Users Posts: 86,252 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

They probably have many previous convictions even should have been locked up

Our justice system is a disgrace

As I have written SF won't succeed as well. However if people are desperate enough they'd believe it and vote for them, - but that won't be a solution as well.

Regarding the lack of housing perspectives, some will sadly vote for SF, some will sadly turn to violence and random attacks, and some will emigrate, leave the country, etc.. This will be just another brain drain.

There aren't any other choices. It's as dire and as basic as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭downtheroad

How to hoover up votes for the next election...promise to stamp down on crime, promise to build a new prison, promise to recruit lots more Gardai....then actually deliver on the promises!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

I think the housing crisis will turn a corner next year.

I think 2020 and 2021 were approximately 20,000 home completions. 2022 and 2023 will be just under 30,000.

But I think 2024 will be more than 30,000. The highest number since 07/08.

The root of the problem has always been construction capacity.

But the number of people working in construction has been rising year by year, number of apprenticeships is rising year by year (Simon Harris is promoting and incentiving construction jobs for a few years now), also we're recruiting skilled workers from places like South Africa.

Also we're about to have a huge oversupply of office space next year, so all that capacity can move to housing. Also Children's Hospital is finishing up.

So I think we can hit 40,000 completions quite quickly and gradually increase from there. So we'll have doubled completions in just a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Are we now pretending that 40k houses a year is enough to meet demand.

Ok.

To be fair, you're missing the entire middle segment of "simply cannot afford it"

And given the absolute state of housing in the country, that middle segment has to be easily the biggest segment.

So much so, it must be putting families and students off the idea years before there's even a chance. A 15 year old might not be the brightest, but they sure can see what's ahead of them.

If we "turn a corner on the housing crisis next year" I'll eat an elephant.

The situation is so woeful it doesn't even have corners anymore, it's a circle.

I say that housing is the biggest driver of crime in deprived communities, and its leaking into other sections of society too.

The big deal about housing is that a guard needs to be able to affordably live too, so does the nurse, so does the teacher.

It might seem a long drive from an American tourist having his eye kicked out to the housing crisis, but it isn't. All the bullshyt in this country is connected, and the commonality is the housing crisis that was created without a single fook given to the consequences.

The very, very easily predicted consequences.

Without hyperbole, this thing is just getting started. Let nobody cry ignorance.

Again I agree with you.

I also think that tourists should be warned about going to certain places in Dublin, about youth gangs and their motivation for crime for lack of opportunities and housing.

Better safe than sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

They haven’t left because people can now WFH anywhere.

WFH is the next challenge, if a home of theirs is unobtainable. I'd rather go to the office than spend the whole workday in a residential property which I am sharing whith a bunch of strangers whom I don't really want to share with in the first place. The office is then a welcome change.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Anyone who thinks the North inner city of Dublin is safe and of an acceptable state is seriously delusional.

These serious problems of casual violence, scumbaggery, a very visible hard drugs crisis and widespread anti-socia behaviour are largely surmountable in the medium to long-term if the political will do actually do something was there.

But it's not. Those currently in power do not give one hoot about the state of inner city Dublin. They really don't and IMO theynever have. It is not an acceptable state of affairs. This is an extremely inepymt and corrupt Dublin Corporation I am referring to as well as the govt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Mate you can write all the essays in the world for all i care. Dublins north city centre is a place i shall continue to avoid.😉

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭joinme

Its not about locking them up, its about implementing and resourcing proper policing so they wont commit crime in the first place. A deterrent, thats what constant police presence brings to a neighborhood/city/society. In most European capitals you see police everywhere day and night. This is what the scrotes need to see, and everyone else needs to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭GSBellew

I'll ignore the country folk bit.

Think does not come into it, you know, I know, they know, many tourists know, it is a kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Nope.

If you keep arresting them but they’re let out straight away they’ll keep offending.

Pretty obvious tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭joinme

My point is that proper police presence day and night creates a deterrent to crime, therefore less petty crime, less assaults, thefts, which leads to less arrests. Most people behave better in the presence of authority. Its Ingrained. More guards needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭geographica

Everyone banging on about needing more Gardaí, correct, we do, but we also need a functioning court system with judges that live in the real world (and not a protected bubble) and more jail places. The justice system is a sham, the scrotes know sweet fa will be done to them, if they are even caught.

Oh and get rid of concurrent sentencing immediately, 2 crimes? 2 sentences

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭AngeloArgue

I'm not too sure a presence of police is the panacea here. These people are wilfully defiant. Goading the police is a source of fun for them. The police don't want to arrest them for day to day antisocial behaviours because with all the bureaucracy it'll take most of their shift to process just one offender. Then it goes through multiple court appearances that will further keep the guard off the streets. The offender will be let off lightly as to leave the whole process a seemingly waste of time and money.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭bartkingcole

The first step is recognition that there is a problem.

this is not recognition of a problem but rather trying to find excuses. Nothing will change - scumbags will continue to have the run of the city, Gardai will still have excuses and ultimately citizens will suffer. Seriously disappointing but not in the slightest bit surprising. And I would lean towards Fg/Labour in voting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

If she isnt willing to recognise the problem then she is the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

No because these sprites see the guards as a laughing stick without the power to do anything to them.

Until we start imposing harsh sentences and value guards for doing their job (instead of gsoc going on a witch-hunt) nothing will change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Northernlily

On today's episode of last night in Dublin

Incident 1: Junkie in a hurry burst through me and my GF outside The Palace on Fleet and said something like 'will ya f**king walk. We were walking just having a nice time chatting ffs.

Literally 20 seconds later

Incident 2: later a junkie lying on the ground on Westmoreland St being helped up by people who looked like tourists

Incident 3: A fight on the train between Tara and Lansdown as some rough locals (again looked like junkies) starting mouthing off at a lad who wasn't taking their **** anyway.

Good on him he quietened them.

There's a fooking serious amount of Junkies everywhere alongside the teenage terrors!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Well it doesnt look very hopeful that anything will be done going by those quotes from the MOJ on newstalk

Very disappointing and sad.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement