Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Athletics 2023

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,932 ✭✭✭deisedude

Is there a video link of the Sarah/Sophie U23 race available to watch? Couldnt find it last night

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

I wonder if Sarah Healy is going to struggle to put it together when it matters again this year. I know Sophie O'Sullivan is improving, but Sarah should definitely be beating her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭diego_b

Thought this race was simply brilliant to see and one of my sporting highlights of the year. Two Irish athletes on an International stage duking it out over the last lap was a joy to see. It took a pb from Sophie to beat Sarah and the next time they race each other you could easily see the result reversed. Sarah has more experience on the international stage and probably more of a known quantity whereas I think Sophie has probably surprised people this season but clearly has taken a big step forward in performance.

This is simply great as like what we've had in women's 400m and 800m the last number of years they will draw a crowd in and more interest to the sport. Best wishes to both athletes for the remainder of the season and hopefully many more occasions when we see them race against each other as will bring the best from each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Agreed. Sarah Healy should have won that race hands-down. Psychologically, it’s very wearing to try lead gun to tape.

If that was her strategy, she should have fully committed and run a 4.03 / 4.04 race. Nobody else in that field, including Sophie O’Sullivan, can live with that pace at this point in their career.

Didn't even realise there was a women's 1500 in Silesia yesterday, what a race not to include in the tv window. 3:54 for Meshesha and Haylom and 3:55 for Welteji! Muir will have her work cut out for her to medal in Budapest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Adeleke 2nd in Hungary 200m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,272 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Just 0.02s off her national record. Her run over 400m later in the week should give us more insight into her current form, as presumably that is the distance she will compete at in the WC.

Victoria cancels it's plans to host the 2026 Commonwealth Games, claiming it's costing too much.

Is this the end of the road I wonder? Nobody seems to be in a rush to pick it up. Would be a shame if so, I generally ignore it but last year had some fantastic races.

• Advertisement

In thoroughly unsurprising news, Tobi Amusan provisionally suspended for 3 whereabouts failures. Seems this has been known for a bit of time yet she was allowed to race in Budapest just yesterday.

Missing three tests can't be anything other than doping, in my opinion. Hope she gets a hefty ban.

Yes, a lot of speculation in the Australian press that this may well be the death knell for the Games as a concept in future and that no Australian city wants to take it on at such short notice.

I was reading today that the Commonwealth Games were originally set up for somewhat dubious reasons and mainly with the intention of trying to keep the Empire together. There was a real fear in Britain back in the 1940s and 1950s that many member states might try and ditch the union and the monarchy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Yes, they were originally known as the Empire Games. Looks like the only way forward for them now is if what's left of the Empire - i.e. Britain - takes on permanent hosting duties. Nobody else wants them at this point, they're pretty much all cost and next to no return, especially with construction costs gone the way they have.

They wouldn't be much of a loss if they disappeared entirely, in truth.

I think the death of the Queen last year is a big factor in all this. Enthusiasm for the Commonwealth Games and for the Commonwealth itself appears to be waning, even in the stalwart places like Australia.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,314 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Bit of a stretch to suggest the queen dying has caused this.

Victoria’s model was ridiculous. They could have had an affordable games in one place using existing facilities but wanted to spread it around the state building new stuff. The costs ballooned and that was that.

There’s less and less places able to absorb the costs of multi sports events

• I didn't look it at that way at all, my opinion is based on watching interviews and general consensus through the past number of years.

I dont think a lot of people want or have wanted to be in the Commonwealth for a long time.

I do think though that the Queen was holding a lot of things together and if there is any changes in anything related to the Commonwealth then

the Queens death would be a factor. Dont under estimate the amount of respect she commanded.

Yes, it's very noticeable that Australia is now seriously talking about becoming a republic and ditching the monarchy. This wouldn't disbar them from the Commonwealth Games of course, but they may be questioning just what is the point of remaining in them if the direction of travel is to become a fully independent republic.

Very excited about Monaco tonight, Kipyegon in the mile is my highlight. As this was originally supposed to be a 1500m but subsequently changed to a mile I must assume she's going for a world record again. 4:12 should be well within her capabilities, I think her 1500m record is equivalent to around 4:07/4:08.

Also looking forward to seeing how Adeleke gets on in her first ever Diamond League race, and with an impressive line up! Unfortunately Sydney McLaughlin has withdrawn (🙄) but I hope Adeleke can be pulled to another PB.

A shame that Benjamin pulled out of the 400m hurdles, I expect an easy win for Warholm. Don't think Dos Santos has enough races in his legs to properly compete... yet.

Meanwhile, 3k target pace for the men's 5k is 7:37. If they're on pace I wonder could Kiplimo or Aregawi trouble the world record?

Should be a great meet, will be live on BBC 3 from 7pm, or else can be watched on YouTube here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Should be interesting this evening

49.99 and fourth for Rhasidat in her first pro 400. Both excellent and kind of a bit disappointing at the same time, if that's possible. May take her until next year to adjust to the professional circuit.

Ciara Mageean 4:14.58!!!!!!!

And the expected world record for Faith Kipyegon 😅

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Some run Ciara, we need another camera feed for the rest of the field 😀

Great run by Mageean in the mile behind Kipyegon beating Sonia's NR.....that was a world class field.

Brilliant second place for Mageean in the mile behind Kipyegon. Muir inside Zola Budd's British record, but behind Mageean.

Is Rhasidat a bit ring rusty I wonder? She seemed to blow up in both races this week in the last 30m or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,729 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Very quiet here considering an Irish lass has just become 5th fastest miler ever..

Post edited by walshb on

• Advertisement

It was an amazing run by Ciara Mageean. For context, it was the fourth fastest mile by a woman of all time, just behind Svetlana Masterkova who set her world record all the way back in 1996.

I don’t want to jinx her, but if Ciara can maintain this form going into Budapest, she has to be aiming for the podium.

Could be the knock on effect of a training program that was no doubt intending for her to peak at the NCAAs. Would be great to see her back under 49.5 again this season but it might not be possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,932 ✭✭✭deisedude

Boards was showing a server error for me for a few hours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,848 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Given that Boards was down for three hours, I think it's "quite" unsurprising

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,193 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

She had more races last year in college but still PBed at the Europeans in August. Nearly 6 weeks since her last 400m. Nothing to panic over. I'd say she'll be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,104 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

is the kenyans time not a little bit crazy? 5 seconds off a world record for the mile....hmmmmm....

• Advertisement

It's hard to read anything into it as you say, though she did run out of gas in both races this week for whatever reason, having looked to be going strongly about 50m out.

I’m sure she will be fine. However, I think some folks are underestimating her competition in Budapest.

Sydney McLaughlin will inevitably run low 48.xx in Hungary. Mariledy Paulino will run below 49.xx if required. Sada Williams, who took bronze in Eugene, has just run her fastest time this far out from a major champs.

That’s before we even consider the somewhat unknown quantity of Salwa Eid Naser. Natalia Kaczmarek is in the form of her life and will run low 49.xx, breaking the 50-year old Polish record. Lieke Klaver won’t be too far behind. I don’t know if Femke Bol plans to double, but if she does, that’s another formidable opponent.

It’s probably going to take 49.6x or 49.7x just to make the final in Budapest. Whilst Adeleke has every chance of doing well, it’s going to very tough out there this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭bike2wkr

She's improved Alot since she moved to UK with Steve Vernon and now Helen Clitheroe. Imo her improvements are down to moving to a professional group and a new coaching setup. Being part of British system has helped her. Better coaching, better competition in training and racing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 799 ✭✭✭marathon2022

Ciara Mageean, what a result, legend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

Wouldn’t look too deeply into her 200m performance. 2nd to Jackson not too shabby. She was the fastest in the field last night but it was her first diamond league and it is a step up from recent outings which were effectively home performances in Texas all be they against stiff opposition too. No doubt a bit of acclimatising back to Europe too and she is still a very young athlete. Hopefully all going good for Budapest but so many other good athletes headed there too.

Yes. Crazy. There was a world record, irish record, british record and an australian record, all in the same race.

Questions have to be at least asked about the track and spikes being used.

I know this isnt a new subject, but where are we headed with this technology.

• The mile isn't run often in the same way as the 1500m so it wouldn't be out of the ordinary for someone like Faith who has been breaking records in other distances to break this and at such a time. She's very conditioned at the moment and if she is breaking a 5000m record then the mile must be a walk in the park. Its also not surprising that the others in the field followed suit as they don't run the mile often either and they had Faith as their pacer really.

I know a lot of people have been talking about Laura Muir having some struggles this season but Laura got a national record and Ciara still beat her. So its more a case that Ciara is running out of her skin and definitely deserves the accolades for this performance.

Agreed with the point being made about Ciara's training improvement in Manchester, I often wondered why she didn't go over there sooner but she was studying as well so there was that.

• So why didnt this happen for everyone else in every other race last night?

Its the fact that the mile isnt run often, the same thing happened recently with ingebrigtsen for the two mile in Paris.

He beat the record by 4 seconds and everyone who ran that race got a seasons best.

Even though the mile isnt run often we have to give full credit to the field and everyone who ran a national record.

They all ran better than their country's predecessors.

Yes, it is a lesser run distance of course. But to have 4 or 5 records in the same race and by such margins as well, it has to be questioned.

There are lots of records falling recently and some athletes have spoken openly to say the new spikes are effectivley cheating.

Of course the tracks are improving also.

Faith holds 1500 WR at 3:49 and for the extra 109 metres she ran 18 seconds. Was she running 3:49/3:50 last night through 1500?

There are lots of records falling in recent years. Many of which have stood for decades.

Spikes and Tracks are at a level now that you cannot compare athletes to their predecessors anymore.

And thats not to mention the fact the PEDs are almost certianly still rife, although much harder to detect.

Much harder to detect? Why.. surely testing is far better now, even if methods of cheating have improved.

Add in the fact that everyone knows everyone’s business in this age of instant information, that to be actively using PEDs undetected would be more difficult.

Post edited by walshb on

• I answered some of this question in a post further down from the one you're quoting as in why didnt everyone PB in every race last night if thats the case etc.

Yeah I agree with you about technological improvements and in the same regard we could start questioning everything in history from Roger running under 4 minutes to how every college kid is doing that now to footballers using a rubber football instead of a heavy leather one.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭SuspectZero

I wouldn't get too caught up in the size of all the PB's in the mile last night. The performances were great and it was an amazing race but many of them were predictable. The mile WR has been weak for a long time and if Kipyegon was still in her Florence shape, I thought she'd run 4:07/4:08.

I didn't expect Ciara to run 4:14 but only because I didn't think she was in the same shape as last year but this performance is right in line with what you'd expect from her 1500m PB. The same with Cranny and Hiltz, 4:16 is about the equivalent of their 3:58/3:59 1500m times

The last few weeks have been amazing in Irish Athletics though, to see so many World Class performances with the all the National records and also also seeing some of the young stars running well.

I'd love to see Fay have an not end of season crack at the 10,000 NR if he can find a race and he's not cooked from Worlds. He smoked Charlie Hicks at Pac 12's back in May who has a 27:40 pb and Fay has gone up a level even since then. I think he has a real shot at taking that too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement