Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of a United Ireland and the GFA

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,623 ✭✭✭✭downcow

You are being incredibly simplistic in that analysis. We can spin this any way we wish and I’d rather not join you in that. But I could claim (I won’t) that anyone who says anything other than Irish only is accepting themselves as different and separate from roi residents. I guess no one in roi would say they are Irish and northern Irish. The person who says they are Irish and ni are probably very close to me who would say I am British and ni

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

Jurisdictions are completely arbitrary and change. A few years ago you lived in the Jurisdiction of the EU. Now you don't. Today you live in the UK. Why would it be so shocking that in a few years you wont live in the jurisdiction of the UK given the above.

Alot of people in Ireland think we are better off in one sovereign jurisdiction than being split in two. London has shown unionists recently that NI is willing to be sacrificed. On the other hand Dublin faught very hard for no hard border in Ireland.

The ROI and NI are mutally exclusive jurisdictions. How can you be from two jurisdictions??? If you're from the ROI you can't be from NI and vice versa.

Ok you might not make a great inference from peoples identity and what way they would vote in a BP. But you can extrapolate from the above that irish only will be the highest identity by the next census. Even if the rate of growth of Irish halved on the previous census and the rate of decline of British also halved, Irish only will still be the highest identity.

Fair point. Let me put that another way. Few in roi would say they are Irish and southern Irish. Does that sit better?

I find it interesting how abstract the concept of wanting a Ui is.

I am bombarded with questions on here by republicans about unionist identity, culture, about why we would still want to belong to the Uk, etc, etc. I wear my colors pretty much on my sleeve and do my best to answer questions. Sometimes clumsy, sometimes the inevitable contradictions, sometimes my sectarianism seeps out, etc, etc. but I answer the questions with integrity.

I have asked one question today ie why do you personally want these two jurisdictions to unite and to prioritise your reasons. I could give you a multiple choice list to choose from but I don’t want to influence.

not one single person has even attempted to answer the question.

so I guess my second question today is, what does this reluctance to answer the question tell us? Have southerners not actually thought it through? Do they really give a toss?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 68,842 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Stop pretending you havent gotten answers.

I sent you a load of opinions that align with mine reasons.

I have never read you tell us why you want to keep getting lied to by Tories and used in their power games. is a nebulous ‘diverse UK’ worth that? A diverse UK seems to be the only thing you champion.

Not only did they sell you out on the Anglo Irish Agreement etc they did it on the Irish Sea border and are doing it right now on the WF.

I can understand why the British identity is falling in number. Who in their right mind would want that for themselves and their children

You ‘answered’ with whataboutery and smokescreen with an article containing contradictory waffle from across the spectrum, much of it contradicting with stuff you have said on here previously eg “This could be achieved by guaranteeing that Stormont - whether under a federal or bicameral system - will remain a house of legislature, and that foreign direct investment shall be shared equally between both former jurisdictions”

my question was simple. I’d like people to tell me why they would like these two countries united, and prioritise their reasons?

it’s starting to look like you guys don’t even know why you want it. Maybe that’s where Irelands future should start

No. I said some of the contents of the article tallied with my reasons, And some of it will tally with others reasons.

Take it or leave it.

I am not trying to convince you.

Exactly my point. You gave me a vague document which you agree with some of but you are not telling me which bits you agree with

the penny has just dropped with me. I am bombarded with questions about why I would want to stay in Uk and all along the people asking the questions have no idea why they want the two countries United.

it would seem like a basic starting point

not one answer. It’s unbelievable

• Advertisement

Add to that that the NI identity is not a homogeneous one politically.

I.E. They will want different constitutional outcomes.

I am not trying to convince you downcow.

Nor is anyone else interested, it would seem.

Many of whom, including myself, have done this before.

All the reasons and oppurtunities would be in here too:

This has been quite a revelation for me and I’ll not project what you are saying unto the others who have yet to speak.

maybe this is why ni has survived against all odds. Any unionist I know, if I was to ask them why they wanted ni to remain in Uk, would immediately talk passionately about their reasons. Hey, they won’t all agree exactly and every single reason may not fit neatly together or be heavily researched, but they have clear reasons, stuff that they believe is in the realms of life and death, and also loads of ordinary stuff just around quality of life.

it seems United irelanders don’t have this - if in fact United irelanders truly exist. I am really beginning to wonder. The idea seems so abstract, woolly and indeed unimportant to most.

so help me understand where your wish comes from even. eg Is it head or heart?

here’s one of the lead contributors again from francies document:

”Why is a united Ireland desirable?

Of course, there is an emotional attachment to a united Ireland that so many of us share that we cannot put into words. To want to reunite our country isn’t something we necessarily should have to justify, we desire it because it is a natural and desirable concept.” 😂🤔

Of course you edit out what that contributor went on to say:

But crucially, uniting our island into one unitary state within the EU will help boost the economy, North and South, and by bringing together our two economies we can simplify our healthcare systems, public transport, education and more. There is massive scope to take the very best aspects of North and South and bring them together in a new, better, united Ireland.

For voters in Northern Ireland, if they do not have a natural dispensation towards voting for a united Ireland, there are very strong economic arguments to persuade people that they would be materially better off in a united Ireland. Disposable incomes are 12 per cent higher in the south, 1.5 times more people live in poverty in Northern Ireland than in the south, there are more university places per student and it costs one-third less to attend third-level education.

The argument to stay in the NHS is certainly an emotive and strong one but in the south, life expectancy is higher and infant mortality is lower. For many people, the emotional attachment to staying in the UK is stronger than any economic argument and we cannot overcome that, which is perfectly fine and must be respected. Also, it cannot be forgotten that there is a job of work to do to convince voters in the South of the huge benefits that a United Ireland will bring and to counter many of the often lazy assumptions in relation to economic and political impacts of unity.

Stage one of his vision is underway - 'by bringing together our two economies' according to Unionists and thanks to them as well.

The only reason you are asking people to post is to demean what they say obviously.

The more I read francies doc it seems so many are implying that a Ui could be the solution to the failures of roi. They point to a utopian state. Maybe they should first turn their wee country into this land of milk, honey and equality, and then invite us to the party.

show us how you look after the homeless. How you can use your £10b surplus to build affordable housing and provide free healthcare to your people. How you can look after eg the travelling community. Separating church and state, compensating those that suffered at their hands, etc, etc, etc

seems a new Ui will be all of the above. Forgive me for wondering why it is not that now and why you need us to fix it.

Francie you are still not telling me why YOU want a Ui. I’ve give up on you answering and hoping others will enlighten me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭rock22

How about this downcow?

Because the division of Ireland to create a free country and a rump of unionist majority was nothing more than a massive gerrymander on a large scale by a foreign oppressor. And we want that foreign power gone from our shores to allow all people living here to get on with their lives free of any foreign oppression.

I have told you. Those links contain 99.9% of peoples reasons for wanting a UI.

You wrote them ALL off.

It's funny to watch you try and convince yourself that nobody has valid reasons.

What could be achieved in healthcare alone would make a UI worth it.

There is without doubt huge problems in both healthcare systems. They are outlined here fairly comprehensively and I don't think any of us can deny the problems that exist and will get worse.

You might disagree with the vision here or aspects of it, but one thing is clear - an all island health system makes eminent sense.

IF-An-Opportunity-for-a-World-Class-All-Island-National-Health-Service-An-Irish-National-Health-Service-1.pdf (irelandsfuture.com)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭jh79

Yes and the trend has stalled and with the unionist vote so strong. Without movement from the unionist vote there isn't enough left for unity to become the majority.

• Advertisement

A below 50% and falling trend is 'so strong'? That's a bit of a stretch.

Yes , it has been consistent across multiple polls over a number of years. It's not changing, that's the important part.

That was never the question I asked. I asked for people’s personal reasons for wanting a Ui. Not a document full of waffle and every conceivable aspiration.

So why don’t you fix the healthcare system in your country. It should be easier fixed when you don’t also have to fix what you think is the added disaster up north. Dont waste your energy in Ireland future meetings. Set up a Healthcare Future and sort the immediate problem.

Can you imagine how fast that trend would move if you created this utopia and then invited us to join?

??

Look at the graph jh, it is 'changing'. One figure is rising and the other is falling.

The Unionist electorate is predominately older too and the numbers are predicted to fall further.

As somebody who believes in a UI, I don't think either system can be 'fixed'. It requires root and branch change.

A UI presents an ideal opportunity to do that.

It's not a linear trend. The movement towards unity has stalled for the last name number of years .

You should read that Slugger article which used the analogy of the frog jumping half as far each time. It never reaches the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Ignacius

This thread should be renamed “try to convince and indoctrinated bigot the benefits of a United ireland”.

• Advertisement

I made the point that 'Unionism' as a political ideology was falling. You have turned that point into something else about support for a UI, which will remain stalled until we have a plan.

Do you accept that Unionism as a political ideology is falling?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement