Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bray Air Display 2023 - 29th & 30th July 2023

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Thats gives them operational resilience this year. They were constrained by the weather last year, yes it was ****. But this happens all the time at airshows.

Ive witnessed a 2 ship Mirage display get messed up by a birdstrike on takeoff, (it safely did a sharp 360 and landed back after 3-4 mins) leaving the other aircraft to dispaly alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Rock Solid

Royal Jordanian falcons arrived at Baldonnel this afternoon, four turboprop red aircraft, they usually arrive early.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Is1ldur

4 planes just passed over Leixlip in formation. Glorious sound. Thought they looked spitfire-shaped?

(Edit-Looks like it was probably the Jordanian Falcons.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Yes, just headed southeast over Dublin city and descending towards Bray.

• Advertisement

Now routeing back towards Pigeon House for Weston.

Low pass over the City Centre heading towards Bray, should be some practice displays at Baldonnel this weekend if weather good.

No French Fouga team, no Strikemasters, no Norwegian Vampire / Mig 15 team. Seems too be less every year, its not a real airshow, its more to draw crowds to Bray. Nothing like Salthill was, or Air Spectacular in Baldonnel years ago.

The Lancaster - if it can make it - will be a draw for enthusiasts even if nothing else of interest appears. If the Air Corps C295 makes its first public appearance that would also be significant, but they are still in the working-up phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

When you consider the Airshow in Salthill had 2 F16s in 1999 and every fighter you could think of there after with the Red Arrows 5 times it was an amazing show sadly missed as is the Air Spectacular and even Abbeyshrule who had A10s .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Cpxxc

I think you're close to the same vintage as me. Although I go right back to the first Fairyhouse. Yes Salthill had the very best airshows. I mean the Thunderbirds for Heavens sake!

But as usual Galway screws up everything eventually. As a Dub living here it's baffling. They have it all but but the local council are clueless.

But that's the past sadly.

I'm averse to criticising the organisers of Bray, not least because one of them did me a favour after he flew with me.

At least we have an airshow. It's the only one left. Yes it could be better. I wish it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 chimp77

I think modern restrictions are the main reason we get this type of airshow now I.e. similar acts each year bar one or two notable exceptions e.g. the Freece Tricolori at Bray in 2016. In the era of the Abbeyshrule, Baldonnel and finally Galway Airshows, my understanding is that the display authorisation requirements for pilots were not as stringent as they are now, hence the fantastic variety of military aircraft. Air Forces now seem to have dedicated display aircraft were as before, it would have been a case that you would see say A 10s, F1 11 F16s etc. coming over from the UK or Germany that would not nessecarly have been a dedicated display aircraft, so much more choice for airshow organisers perhaps?

This seems to be similar in the UK- if you look at a lot of their Airshows, barring of course RIAT and one or two others, they pretty much have the same acts perform each year-Red Arrows, Eurofighter and the BBMF.

Also after the Shoreham airshow accident in 2016? Display lines have been pushed way out, meaning Airshows are definitely much less spectacular now.

That's all true, and furthermore the NATO countries are focused on more serious matters these days than maybe twenty years or so ago. There has also been continuing drawdown in the size of many countries' military forces, so airshow participation is a lot more targeted than in the past. Ireland's geographical position doesn't help either, if you are trying to attract participation from aircraft based in Europe.

Very true, weather for next weekend not looking great, does anybody know where the reds will be based ? Am hearing Dublin Airport but would they have the space for 9 Hawks and accommodation for the crew ?

I've heard (unofficially) that they will arrive at Dublin Saturday evening via a flypast only at Bray, and display on the Sunday only. Don't treat as gospel, though. The Arrows are due to display at Old Buckenham, Norfolk, on the Saturday.

The airshows of the past will not be recreated anywhere. (Which is a shame) ~

In the 1990s, Western air forces had multiple types, they also had a far larger inventory and budget. So using flight hours on ferry flights and air display's wasn't seen as wasteful.

In the last 20 years we have seen Western air forces operate at high tempo levels in Iraq, Afghanistan and the Middle East.

This has worn out many older airframes. Back at home these same organisation are aiming to reduce the number of types, number of squadrons and overall inventory to streamline costs and increase efficiencies. (EG. F/A-18 production will halt in 2025, the USAF desire to use F-35s to replace A-10s)

With less aircraft in service the organisation no longer want to waste flight hours on civilian airshows. Even in the USA the displays are more often single airframes rather than formations. (I've witnessed the F-16 and F-22 display in the States)

*On a vaguely related tangent, the Russian Air Force is degrading itself daily, by using its most modern aircraft (Mig-31M/Su-35s) loitering on CAP duties along the Russian-Ukrainian border. Every hour in the air is an hour of lifespan lost to the RuAF in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭moonshy2022

I think we are grasping at straws here to defend the Bray Airshow. Considering the military turnout last weekend for RIAT and then pretty much every weekend their is an airshow across Europe I think that excuse falls flat on its face.

Bray has never drawn anything amazing and never will. The Air Corp aren’t a draw, I don’t know how anyone could be drawn by them. The Bray lineup is so thin nowadays it’s laughable.

I suspect the airshow keeps being put on year after year simply because it draws large amounts of people and money in to Bray each year.

If you truly want to see the aircraft then I suggest you go to the back of Baldonnel over the weekend for a few hours.

If you get any wind next Sunday the BBMF won't fly not sure but I think its over 20 knots, was at the Bournemouth Air Show one year and they cancelled over the wind despite it being a lovely day commentator said they don't take chances with these aircraft, would that be for take off and landing hardly an issue when Airborne.

I am not defending the show. However it is pretty harsh to say that it has never drawn anything amazing. I have gone some years but not others and it is very weather-dependent, among other things. In any case, seaside shows are aimed at the 99% of the public who have a minimal knowledge or interest as far as aviation is concerned - not the 1% who would like to see something rare and spectacular and would appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 chimp77

Yes agreed the Bray Airshow keeps coming back every year as it is good for the local economy. I recall pre 2015, the gripes re; the show where that there was no jets or international display team.

I appreciate they have been seen before, but this year we have the Red Arrows and a Viggen.

Let's not forget this is a free airshow with the aforementioned RIAT carrying an admission fee. If we look at the line up, although repetitive against previous years, particularly in the eyes of an aviation enthusiast, there is variation in the types on display, that I feel is key for an airshow;

Warbird Type from WW 2 -Mustang

As above -Hurricane

As above -Spitfire

WW 2 Heavy Bomber -Lancaster

WW 2 Flying Boat -Catalina

Fast Jet -Saab Viggen

International Aerbotic Display Teams;

Red Arrows

Royal Jordanian Falcons

Team Raven( although civilian, they have performed in several Airshows across Europe)

AeroSuperbatics Wingwalkers(likewise)

Helicopters EC 135 and AW139 Irish Air Corps

Civilian Airliner-Aer Lingus A320neo

Maybe not a bad line up after all 🤔and comparable with seaside shows in the UK

• Advertisement

I agree.

Bray may be repetitive or boring for the aviation enthusiast (who would consider travelling to RIAT or other shows)

But it's main audience are the family's with small kids. With no admission fee it has a limit on the types of high level displays that it can get. (Personally I detest the drawn out Air Corps heli displays, but I'm sure kids love them)

My kids (teenagers now) have never gone to Bray with me. They see the Air Corps past overhead multiple times per day. And over the year have had the Reds, Fleecce, the BBMF and a few others pass over the house on approach to EIME.

I'm already thinking of going back to RIAT myself next summer.

Salthill ran for 17 years and was free yet they had the most advanced aircraft in the World there who can forget the B1B Bomber they flew low level along the prom the noise set off every alarm on cars an buildings it was unreal loud , it flew from its base in the US refuelled in Portugal displayed at Salthill then straight back to the US. I went to all the Bray airshows but did not go last year or this year with the price of hotels and the line up it's not worth the hassle but I hope it goes well for them.

Post edited by Storm 10 on

And these days the USAF can't justify a 16 hour round trip purely to fly the flag.

In the 80s and 90s, airshows were a marketing/propaganda for the Western militaries.

These days it's an accounting decision.

Comparable maybe, but as it’s Irelands only airshow it’s a poor performance.

Bear in mind this forum is mostly if not all enthusiasts. So yes we are going to complain when it’s literally our only shot at an airshow without leaving the island. At this point anyone who ventures to Bray is sadistic with its poor access, poor traffic management, dismal display and poor communication.

What do they say that the definition of insanity is ? Doing the same thing over and over expecting a different outcome !

Anyway, I wait with bated breath for the pages and pages of complaints next weekend.

Baldonnell Industrial Estate or by Amazon good area, you will some of the Aircraft take-off and land from the show, possibly you may see Viggen and Air Corps and whatever is based there maybe the Lancaster, but you could be sitting around for awhile, best to bring a scanner and some grub, last year on the Saturday around 1pm onwards there was a fantastic display.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,243 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Are there not airshows elsewhere that still have a lot of military participation?

The Bray show always draws a large crowd. So people seem to like it. So it's hard to argue it's not a success.

I've only been once to Bray at an early show. Was ok. Never been to another as not interested in the hassle of getting there. If I was younger and less grumpy seems like an ok day.

I was at the fairy House and Baldonnel shows and Farnborough. I'd probably travel back to Farnborough or such again.

Who knows, maybe Bray/wicklow council have said no active military to avoid protests and bad publicity. But I suspect if you ask 99% of Joe and Josephine public they will say yeah military being loud and fast and doing turns is what they expect from a show.

For anyone citing RIAT as a comparator, you should appreciate that this is a massive event with a worldwide reputation, a large budget and entrance fees to match - we paid £68 each for entry on a public day and £28 for the departures day on Monday last, the latter not being an airshow as such. Corporate and other packages are pricey, as you would expect. There is a massive corps of volunteers who give the best part of a week to working there, at their own expense. RIAT has been running now for fifty years and is world-renowned as the biggest military show there is. I think there were a few dozen national air force chiefs there last week. Even with all of the resources and connections that the RIAT team have, they get refusals, cancellations or no-shows but the scale of the event is such that this doesn't unduly affect its success. I guess that if there is one show in these islands that an overseas air arm is going to pull out the stops for, it is RIAT and not one of the lesser events.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,243 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Not comparing them at all. Someone suggested they don't happen anymore.

• Advertisement

Not at all what I was suggesting.

I was implying that the quality and quantity on display in multiple small air shows in the 1980s/90s will not be repeated. This isn’t due to the small organisations being inept, its due to the reduction and tightening of military budgets over the last 20-30 years.

I have no doubt that many Airshow in the UK are suffering from a similar dearth of variety and big name acts. The UK of course is very lucky to be he home of the Red Arrows.

my post even mentioned that I might go to RIAT next year.

Advertisement