Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nigel Farage cries persecution, nobody wants to be his banker after ties to Russia

Options

Comments

No, the financial aspect is entirely secondary.

The entire dossier spells out all the reasons why Farage should be reconsidered as a member of the bank -- ranging from his views on Brexit, vaccines, and even Novak Djokovic, to Trump and LGBT issues and fake deranged stories that Farage was a supporter of Hitler at college.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

How to deal with toxic manchildren who throw tantrums would be my guess.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 16,622 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Should businesses be allowed to choose their customers?

There is already laws in place for necessities such as energy and water.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Communist banks. We've truly come full circle.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Not when it comes to banking and freedom of expression, absolutely not.

• Advertisement

No, the dossier spells out the financial aspects clearly and how he's not valuable as a customer because of that.

Should businesses be able to choose who they serve? C'mon now rapidash, you're already digging in deep here, no need to drag out the hypocrisy for too long this time. You can even "both sides" the argument as there are previous examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭nachouser

Lads shilling for 59 year old racist grifters will never not be hilarious.

Just seems incredibly sad to me. Like, there's a whole world out there and they're online desperately trying to shut down criticism of a man who is nothing more than a deceitful, grifting twat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭Rawr

Part of me wonders if some of them are living in the hope that if they defend Farage loud enough and often enough that he’ll be *so thankful* for their efforts in combating the *leftist loonies* on an Irish discussion forum…that he’ll invite them onto Talking Pints for a room temperature beer while they regale their tales of heroism to an assembled audience of gammons.

If any of them actually harbour such a daydream….I’m afraid I have some very upsetting news for them….

Interesting point. They say that Americans hate wealth taxes because they see themselves as getting rich eventually so there may be something there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,069 ✭✭✭McFly85

I think they want his behaviour to be normalised. Getting in everyone face being racist or homophobic without facing any consequences.

So when they see his racism and homophobia having real, actual consequences it’s an affront to them.

Thankfully most people don’t want to live in a world where spewing vile hatred and unsubstantiated blame is the norm - and they hate being reminded of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

What about Jew baiters like Corbyn and Abbott and all the ar53holes that support them.

What about trade unionists like Mick Lynch, a Brexiteer, and not too popular with Banking boards I'd say, any trade unionist.

What about any Trot, people who live to fall out with each other and groups they are close to.

What about the rich kids in just stop oil, or groups like BDS who have some really dodgy hateful members and extremist links.

The list goes on and on of people across the left that could have their bank account closed for being horrible, being racist, being a trouble maker for bank boards and an awful large number who are just insufferable ar53holes.

None of that could happen because this isn't about bank accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

It's closing Bank accounts because the CEO disliked the political Views of a person.

It applies just as much to the people I mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Shoog

Your point is ?

I would be fine with anyone antisocial person been refused discretionary services. I actually believe in freedom of choice and that extends to corporations as much as to individuals. If a bank wants to build a profile of "nice customers" then they can do so and face any negative consequences of chucking out the arseholes. Its a very bad and slippery slope to attempt to remove peoples discretionary choices by law. This is what the Tories are attempting in the UK with their ban of Boycott and Divestment of Israel legislation.

I suspect that people on the right of politics only have a problem with freedom of choice when it cuts against them.

Post edited by Shoog on

Many of the people I listed above from the left are some of the most hateful, obnoxious and toxic people in politics, nevermind that they are the type that are so especially disruptive to the Left itself.

Not one of them should be blacklisted by a bank. No one should be blacklisted just because corporate interests dislike them. The activists and the board members will not always be on the same side, families can fall out, views change.

Farage still has a bank account.

He lost access to privaliged services because he didn't have enough money and has been offered similar services in NatWest which caters to a broader (I.e. less rich) group of people.

By law, you have a right to a bank account in the UK.

Do you think a business should be able to choose who they do business with if its not a legal requirement?

I do notice none of those defending farage dares answer that, everyone else is happy to, as the nigel club know it lays their hypocrisy bare for all to see (don't worry, admitting it or not, everyone knows, just as you now know what a bank really thinks about you ;)

(There is also a lot of farage defenders who don't know the difference between an account and services and fly away when the difference is pointed out).

I don't think they like that people think they are racist and xenophobic when they think they only act racist and xenophobic but try and hide their true feelings, now they know otherwise.

• Advertisement

I don't care what your opinions of them are, it seems that the banks and the public do not share your disdain since they are not faced with the same problem as Farage. But if Coutts were to close their accounts (see the irony in this statement) then I would be fine with it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

They DID NOT take away his Bank account, they told him he no longer qualified for a glorified F*cking Butler service.

That's it and that's all.

All these people grabbing their pearls and defending an utter arsehole because he no longer qualifies for the secret elite "Rich dickhead club" that is Coutts is just beyond parody.

Nigel Farage can access every single banking function that is required/needed by 99.999% of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I imagine Nige will now take the time to self reflect on this and not try monetise this by bleating to the willing idiots?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭brickster69

What, so it's no longer about him getting money from the Kremlin like the boards lads told us, are you trying to say that was all untrue and fabricated lies by people who hate the guy ?

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

He was a regular contributor to RT television a banned Kremlin financed propeganda outlet, so you can climb down off that moral high horse there. Good job he found a new grift in GB News.

Russian money was a guess by some people while there was literally no other information.

Nigel had repeatedly said it’s due to his politics and his role in Brexit and the woke globalist remainer banks driving him out of town, which had proven categorically untrue.

So why are you more critical of posters making an educated guess rather than flat out lies by a proven liar?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,548 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Farage and others taking money from Russia or Russian outlets in the mid 2010s is not at all implausible. There was a lot of sneaking admiration for Putin among the far right and Brexiteer crowd. Johnson and his missus are another two suspected of having links to them.

Agreed - when I say guess, it was an informed guess.

I just think it’s hilariously sad when some posters refuse to look at what the person they’re defending actually says while also defending him at all costs.

The apology from the CEO Alison Rose to him and her implementation of a review of change to procedure suggests otherwise.

One good thing from it is that there is going to be a tightening up against targeting of people by banks for wrong political Views.

20 years ago it was a given that the left activist and the head bankers were on different sides, that may change that way again, the left might become more working class as before.

This legislation will afford them protection, if needed, in the future as well.

• Advertisement

But he wasn’t targeted due his political views.

His account was closed because he wasn’t worth that much money to them and because his reputation as a racist charlatan might have impacted their ability to do business with other clients.

Advertisement