Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - Part 3 - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

You should have read the article you linked before posting it.

I get it, you don't like the Green Party. Neither do I by the way, but it's ridiculous to post an article saying they blocked a energy credit when the article itself tells a different story. Plus as a minor player in government how can they block anything? the two bigger parties can just overrule them.

Also paying an energy credit in the summer makes zero sense, during winter when it is actually needed makes a lot more sense

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Blut2

I did read the article, thats why I posted it.

A political party can say anything they want for posturing reasons in public statements. The only way to accurately judge them is based on the policies they implement, or block. The Greens quite literally single handedly blocked that fourth energy credit - there are plenty of articles out there on it, thats just the one with the highest SEO. Feel free to check out the rest.

As a coalition party its entirely within their power to block (or implement) policy, which they regularly do. The choice wasn't paying an energy credit in summer or winter, it was going to be both if FF & FG had their way.

And, again, this is only one policy they've implemented this year that hurt every household in the country. Their insistence on the carbon tax hike being implemented this year, despite the cost of living crisis, has cost the average household hundreds and hundreds of euros more.

Theres just no defense of their actions in government - they've paid no attention to helping anyone financially struggling in the country, instead focusing heavily on punitive financial measures. Which is why they're now polling at 2-4% and facing electoral wipeout. And why climate change is only polling at being a major issue of concern for 4% of the population.

The Greens here have managed to successfully destroy both support for themselves and for environmentalism in Ireland, at a time when more and more people globally are starting to care about climate change. Its an achievement almost impressive in its terribleness.

The suggestion they made on the energy credit was 100% correct. Giving a credit in the middle of summer would be a waste of millions. They would be better giving it to people when they need it in winter. It is an energy credit. If people want money because of cost of living we shouldn't be hiding it as an energy credit.

Taking those millions and installing solar PV onto social housing would be a better long term solution

Anyway the amount of air time given to Green party is ridiculous. They are a small party in government and its the same people who are obsessed with them as got obsessed with every other small party in previous government,

Wait till next election before making statement about what they will/won't do. As seen previously poll are useless this far out and the people crying about the Greens never voted for them anyway.

I'm sure the families struggling through the cost of living crisis who were denied that 200euro credit would disagree with it being a "waste of millions". As I said before, the choice wasn't between a spring energy credit and a winter energy credit. We'll be getting a winter energy credit either way. It was between a spring energy credit or no energy credit, and the Green party are solely to blame for it being no energy credit.

The Greens get air time based on their own policies. If they hadn't blocked the spring energy credit, or insisted on the increase in the carbon tax, nobody would be talking about either.

Given the Greens got 7.1% of the vote in the last election, but are currently polling at 2-4%, obviously plenty of people who voted for them are planning on not doing so again based on their performance in government. Anywhere from 50% to 66% of the people who voted for them abandoning the party is extremely damning. Especially a time when more and more people are becoming aware of environmental issues, and other, better run, Green parties across Europe are commonly polling at 15%+...

If they are struggling they have plenty of options available for support, as the article wrote and the suggestion from the Green Party

An energy credit to the entire population is not the answer. Yet you don’t see it as a waste of money…..

Rant away about the Green Party I couldn’t care less, I don’t vote for them and won’t either, hilarious you are so upset about a small party in government. Talk about looking in the wrong direction

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

Oh no, the Minister might have to comment on a justice issue that cannot be attributed to homophobia, the right wing element,...

Of course normally McEntee is kept fully occupied with ignoring the Irish public's objections to her hate speech legislation and delaying reform to our shameful defamation laws (which conveniently prevent our press from commenting on her husband's completely normal job).

https://www.irishtimes.com/crime-law/2023/07/20/us-tourist-has-life-changing-injuries-after-dublin-city-centre-attack-involving-three-youths/

in terms of the actual issues, we have Gardai leaving in droves. Currently we have a Garda charged over doing his job and a couple of thief’s killed themselves by driving into a lorry. Do we need to protect the Gardai better.

We need more Gardai

plus we need more prison spots. A new jail in reality and a big one

Also Dublin City centre is turning into a sh*thole. Who are the TD representatives and what are they doing on the issues? What have they said will help?

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

Instead of funding the Gardai FFG are spending our money on NGO's to convince us they're protecting us from amorphous threats: climate crisis, migration crisis, online bullying, gender hate crimes,...

The suggestions from the Green party were just that, suggestions. None of those "plenty of options" actually came to pass. Thats the problem.

You're trying rather hard to defend them, so you obviously do care. Its good that you've seen sense and are not planning on voting for them, like many of their previous supporters these days, though I guess.

So you agree what you posted was incorrect? You posted the below

The Greens quite literally single handedly blocked that fourth energy credit - there are plenty of articles out there on it, thats just the one with the highest SEO. Feel free to check out the rest.

Now you are saying they just suggested. Which is what I posted and you said I was wrong.

I will leave it at that. You seem to be going in circles and have finally agreed with my original post. Took a while but we got their in the end

• Advertisement

Not sure how you linked NGO's to my post. Seems at the moment across all social media the term NGO's is fired out on every topic. People even dragged it into the RTE thread :-)

I think you have some reading/comprehension difficulties going on there.

I said the Greens suggested helping poorer families but then did nothing. What they did actually achieve, in reality, was single handedly blocking the fourth energy credit that both of the other government parties wanted to issue to every household. Which would have been a fantastic help for struggling households nationwide in our cost of living crisis.

If you didn't understand that point from the outset then it would explain why you didn't understand why the Greens are hemorrhaging support, though. Hopefully it makes more sense now :)

FYI I said wait till the next election before making call on if the greens are "hemorrhaging(sp) support"

Seem to be repeating myself, if families are struggling the Government should provide specific help to these families. Not painting it up as a energy credit which goes to all household, those in need or not.

It seems you are more interested in a quick 200 euros than concerned if people need help or not.

I have done enough clarifications at this stage. Leave you to it

I thought you were done replying after the previous post?

The government should absolutely provide specific help to struggling families, but that was unfortunately never on the table. The issue was giving a fourth 200euro energy credit or not doing so. With FF & FG wanting to do the former, and the Greens the latter. And the Greens unfortunately won, costing every struggling household in the country that money. As they did with the carbon tax hike, too.

Its an odd hill to keep returning to to die on. If even the socially parsimonious FG were in favour of giving the money to struggling families its a good sign it would have been useful. But the Greens objected because they argued it would increase energy consumption, which makes it a perfect example of their upper-middle class environmentalist policy making that hurts working class and rural people.

Was just correcting the incorrect information you posted about me

By the way we seem to have 3 thread in this forum with the same people discussing how terrible the Green party are. Yet the main parties in government FF/FG have a shared one with the Green party. SF as the main opposition have one, no other party in Ireland have a thread

It seems a few people are massively obsessed with the Green party.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,969 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The Green Party in Ireland are having a highly disproportionate impact on policy, for the size of their representation.

Its not an obsession that a majority of people want that impact reduced, its simply a legitimate complaint.

I accept that a lot of environmental policy would be enacted by a coalition Government that did not include the Greens, purely as a consequence of commitments Ireland has to international agreements on the matter.

But, certain local policies being championed specifically by the Greens in Ireland, that have negligible overall impact on sustainability improvements and only serve to add to the cost of living pressures already experienced by the Irish people, are being indulged by the other coalition partners in a case of the tail wagging the dog.

And it is this situation that gives rise to a strong desire, call it an obsession if you will, for the Green Party to be destroyed electorally, so we can return to some sort of reason and proportion, with respect to environmental and sustainability policy.

And another reply! With all of these promises you keep making and breaking I can see why you relate to the Green party so much.

Our Irish Green party are unfortunately currently responsible for implementing more policies that people dislike than another party in Ireland. When you're implementing policies that the vast majority of the country disagrees with, that hurt people's quality of life, you're going to have lots of people complain about you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Excellent post B2. Just look at what happened in Uxbridge for the blue shirts to get a seat albeit with a huge drop in support. Be very interesting to see how Starmer reacts to this.

Sorry if I’m detracting from our shower. But this attempt at a tax by Khan has all the hallmarks of something Ryan would do here. Maybe he’s having second thoughts?

I get:

Page Not Found

The page you were looking for could not be found.

😂

• Advertisement

No it's an obsession. The Greens can't implement anything without the larger parties. Yet the amount of attention they get is massive in comparison.

People go on about "Green zealots" etc. I think you will find the majority of the "zealots" are the anti-Green people. Want an example? just look at the numerous anti Green, anti environment, green policy etc thread.

The link you provided doesn't work.

Have you never heard of browsing data? cookies, cache etc?

Anyway the link I guess you wanted to provide was? https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058200511/social-democrats/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Many of the Green's policies are simply also the policies of the other governing parties. The ULEZ comparison raised above is actually quite an apt example, as it is a Conservative Party invention and Conservative policy to expand it. Almost all parties have tackling emissions and climate change as a pretty core part of their platform.

the Latest opinion poll:

I know this is holiday season, but I see it’s mentioned that half those polled were very disappointed with McEntee. I’m thinking either a woman ( please I’m not being sexist here ) is not strong enough for the position or Her ‘feeling safe’ walking around central Dublin has done Her reputation ( if she had one ) untold damage.

Yet FG didn't go down, FF lost 1% and Greens stayed the same.

Opinion polls are useless till closer to election.

Not sure why anyone would think a man would do a better job than a woman. Yes it is sexist and alarming to see someone post that in 2023.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,326 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I wonder will the coalition parties get a bounce from the 'giveaway budget' or have the voters already priced that in?

Are we getting a "giveaway budget"?

I thought the plan was to try save some of the money for a rainy day

Leo? I hear he's got a 24 hour link to the Ticketmaster site as he focuses on getting front row seats for Kylies Las Vegas Shows

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,642 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Pathetic juvenile rubbish with more than a hint of homophobia.

Whatever he or anyone else does on their own time with their own money is their own fúcking business.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Advertisement