Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of a United Ireland and the GFA

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Or the DownCow vs FrancisBrady slugfest.

Most contributions by far are from these two, and they just repeat the same points with slight variations. And then start again.

Time for thread to close?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭jh79

Depends on what you mean as Unionism? Support for remaining in the union is strong.

Does it really matter if people vote for Alliance over DUP but still would vote no in a BP?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,623 ✭✭✭✭downcow

We’ve been told that for generations. What you are not factoring in is that young people are more radical and open to change. Then they get a career, partner, mortgage, kids, grandkids and their appetite for radical change subsides and the safe status quo becomes their preferred option. Tv and slippers

I know it is unfortunate for republicans but it’s fact.

Or maybe just tell the indoctrinated bigot why you want a Ui rather than hurling insults. I guess if you don’t have any answer, it’s easier to hurl abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,842 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

What matters jh79 is that in a BP people will be voting for a comprehensive Plan for a UI.

It is mind boggling that you continue to ignore the impact an actual Plan will have.

It is a game changer, as we saw in the Scottish case.

*What I meant was support for Unionism as political ideology is falling.

• Advertisement

I agree it would be a game changer. But in my opinion it will have a negative effect on the polling as the true cost becomes known. Especially in this country.

Seems to me it is falling and not going back up. Maybe young people are staying young? 😁

The costs are becoming clearer. The subvention used to be touted here as the big scary 10/11/12 billion on day one. Not any more though as the reality is that it isn't a true cost. It contains many billions that would not be required.

I think a 'Plan' will be couched as an investment in the future if there is a cost at all, and that will boost the numbers massively.

If there is a cost at all? I thought NI was a failed statelet?

If that was truely the case those in favour of unity wouldn't be so afraid of producing a plan. SF already got burned with the Hubner report.

NI is a failed statelet. Like the graph the evidence of that is right in front of your eyes.

Despite the fact that there is an international agreement between two sovereign governments it still cannot govern itself even via devolution.

What more evidence do you need?

I think it will be proposed that a transition period (to prep the failed partitioned bit and to prepare the failed entities here e.g. the Health system) be observed. Possibly 10 years if it takes that.

• Advertisement

Is it a failed statelet from an economic perspective?

I will leave that to the economists.

Pretty clear that as it is currently run it would not survive without subsidy.

A transition period to prepare it would be required.

That’s a wee bit offensive. I have steered well clear of any of the slugging since the advice from the moderator and I have focused on Ui.

but hey, if calling for the thread to be closed because you don’t like the question floats your boat, then fair enough.

Deafening silence on why people want a Ui?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Are you asking why individuals want Unification or for reasons that could convince you?

For the former, for me ultimately it boils down to not trusting that a Tory government has ever or will ever have the best interests of the people of this island anywhere near their list of concerns. Best case scenario in the UK, you're one Labour brainfart away from another Tory government.

I think that the relative economic fortunes of both parts of this island post-partition have demonstrated what a mistake partition was in the first place and ending Partition is the best way to end the rot that has set in to NI over the last hundred years where it has gone from a positive economic contributor to Loyalists point of pride being that it is so economically f*cked that they think a country smaller than the UK couldn't afford to have them sucking the teat dry.

I think that as a people, the Northern Irish voice will be stronger as over 25% of the population of one island rather than 3% of a place they're physically disconnected from and have decades of form for, 'out of sight, out of mind'.

I don't like the political trajectory the UK has been on, and the Brexit vote cemented that further and I want to be as far away from the splash zone as possible while Britain becomes increasingly inward looking and poor decisions continue to hamper the economy.

I identify much more strongly with the people of this island than I do the people of that one.

There's a few, so whats your point?

Yes, that’s very helpful. And yes I was meaning why you wanted it rather than reasons to convince me.

dare I say there is a fair few of the reasons ‘why you don’t want to continue in the Uk’. Understandable as unionists would probably give reasons for not wanting to be in a Ui.

I think the positive reasons you are giving are economic and identifying with northerners.

i get the economic stuff - though of course we would disagree on it.

as for identifying with the rest of people on island, how would that be improved by a Ui? And surely as the two parts grow closer and closer now that we have relative peace, that becomes less and less important.

while I got abuse from some for asking the question, your answers have got me thinking. Surely achieving a Ui would be much easier if we did discover what each wanted. There may be a model that meets most of what everyone wants. Eg I don’t see a devolved n Ireland getting in the way of your wishes and maybe other stuff my community would want would also be ok with you.

I've repeatedly said I wouldn't be opposed to a federal solution and I see continued devolution as an almost certainty at least in the short to mid term.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

I think the question could be put more generally. Why does any nation of people want to live in one jurisdiction?

I think the reasons would be.

1. The jurisdiction would make laws etc based on what best fits that nation

2. There would be no physical border or impediments on movement of the nation.

3. The nation wont be influenced by laws that are best suited to a foreign nation etc.

The GFA got rid of piont 2. When it comes to NI technically a functioning stormont should take out point 1 and somewhat 3. Also being part of the EU which has many benifits will always mean Ireland will have comprimise and influence from outside of the jurisdiction

Unfortunately NI is a failed jurisdicition. Majority rule doesn't work and power sharing isn't working. I would have thought it would be of more interest for a unionist party to see a functioning stormont as it would make calls for a change to a more functioning jurisdiction such as a UI lower.

I just don’t get this at all.

who is the Irish nation? Are you going to unite with USA, Australia, etc. there’s a darn sight more ‘Irish’ in those places than in ni. I dare say there are far more Irish in England and gb generally than OWC.

you are also wanting to rip my nation apart to increase the jurisdiction of your nation?

on reflection maybe I am being unfair. It’s legitimate to want to increase the size of your jurisdiction, but that not a very strong reason (I think) for wanting a United ireland

T'would be very compelling if not for the fact that it isn't just Unionists who make up, 'OWC'. It would be a reasonable argument if we weren't discussing Unification with the explicit consent of the majority of those in NI.

Perhaps it is tough for someone of British extraction to switch off the colonial mindset and think beyond conquest.

We've already established pretty convincingly that there are no conditions under which you would be in favour of Unification though, so what you think is a strong reason is ultimately irrelevant.

who is the Irish nation? Are you going to unite with USA, Australia, etc. there’s a darn sight more ‘Irish’ in those places than in ni. I dare say there are far more Irish in England and gb generally than OWC.

Pretty obvious I would have thought. Uniting with people in those countries will not create a nation state capable of making laws for itself.

• Advertisement

I take Dowcow has handed his account over to a friend or family member.

"who is the irish nation"? People who's national identity is irish? There is irish all around the world. But they will have some connection to Ireland whether they're from cork or belfast.

"You also want to rip my nation apart"

Are you only part of the British nation? No national identity to Ireland? Ignore st patricks day. Are you part of church of Ireland too but still no connection to Ireland? Will you stop being British if there is a UI? I have never met a person from Scotland, saying they're not Scottish just British. Same with the English and welsh. This just seems to something that happens in Ireland due to the 20th sectarian dived that which manifested after partition. Even under british tradition being a nation of nations irish was one of them. Ireland joined the union in 1801. That is how you live with in the union today. So pretending you having nothing or no connection with Ireland just makes you sound like a bigot.

You living in a UI is the equivalent of a Scottish person who voted remain living in a independent Scotland.

But it is binary. Either the irish nation will live in two jurisdictions or the British nation will. A BP will come down to which people think is better for them. It wont change their identity.

i think you may be mixing terms. Traditional unionists are not the only people who are saying they want to stay in Uk.

true - I cannot currently see a scenario where I would vote for a Ui or want a Ui. But that ok. If a majority vote for a Ui then I understand that there will be a new arrangement which will be called a Ui. That shouldn’t stop be wanting to protect the OWC identity within that and pushing for maximum autonomy.

Nonsense. If you got them to truly unite with Ireland then you could have same laws etc. geography is no bar to being a nation state.

the truth is you think you deserve to own OWC even though it’s been British for centuries. If all the nations across the world applied your policy it would be chaos

So we could have enclaves with our own state and laws inside Australia and the US etc?

who knew 😁😁

NI was never and will never be British. Britain is over there >

I never mentioned enclaves. Surely you don’t intend have enclaves in ni. I am simply pointing out that if one’s reason for uniting Ireland is to unite the Irish nation, then you are missing a big bit

Not my only wish.

I want to unite the two territories and end British government influence in our affairs and and on our direction.

But all these arguments can be counteracted with the same logic

If there is no need for UI because so many irish people dont live in Ireland then whats your beef with not living within the UK jurisdiction

You're arguments seems to be why on earth would irish people want to live in one jurisdiction but you cant remove NI from the UK as you're "ripping up my nation"

As said before for the same reasons you want to live within the union, many people want to live within a UI.

Who said anything about traditional Unionists? Simply put if Unification happens, then a majority of the North are not Unionists and would prefer to be part of Ireland, not the UK.

If someone in NI wishes to remain part of the UK, they're a Unionist regardless of background, voting intentions or whether they're nutcases who think the earth is only a few thousand years old. Complacent, 'not fussed' Unionists could be easily convinced, the, 'traditional' Unionists are dying off. Unless Unionism actually moves towards being welcoming in the manner of Doug Beattie (who is being massacred by your, 'traditional Unionists' as a Lundy for it), it's only a matter of time.

You can push for whatever you want should Unification happen, but the Unionist veto is already dead. You'll do it like a democrat like everywhere else in the civilised world, the world you yearn for isn't acceptable anymore, Downcow.

I have said I will accept a Ui vote. I won’t like it and I will agitate for as much autonomy as possible in a Ui arrangement.

i also think there r we oils be a significant movement of people which would be sad.

• Advertisement

If there is a majority vote for a UI the people of NI will be saying they don’t want devolution or autonomy.

In fact a majority vote will be the official recognition of the statelets failure.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement