Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭glitterIsland

This 100%.

Its hard to get anything done when it's so wet. If it was just showers, you'd have some hope of getting something done but often it's heavy drizzle and if it's not heavy drizzle, it's torrential downpours.

I had so much plans for this summer like visiting Dublin zoo and the islands but it's no fun it the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Sorry to read you are having panic attacks. Hopefully we will see an improvement sometime in August. There are signs that might happen during the first couple of weeks in August. The UKMO also mentioned a possible change by Mid August.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Lightning west Galway. Lightning app has 40+ strikes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Back to the rain since and now the sun is back out again

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭OldRio

Rain rain and more rain. Then occasionaly it becomes extremely heavy.

Leitrim

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Niall145

This summer reminds me of the Johnny Cash lyric, "I ain't seen the sunshine since I don't know when"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Here's hoping anyway fingers crossed 🤞 thanks 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭appledrop

Absolutely torrential rain here in Drogheda as I'm visiting for the NCT, it was a 6 month wait in any of the Dublin centres!

Everyone waiting here in coats, like a winters evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭acequion

Can I ask what kind of improvement and how likely an improvement? I know there is no crystal ball but I'm trying to make some plans /book flights and wondering which way to gamble. Would you think it will just get drier [which in itself would be welcome] or could we get some proper summer weather? Thanks a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,953 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Think everyone here is in favour of climate change, our climate is rubbish of course we'd want a change for this sludge.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,953 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

• Registered Users Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭pad199207

Bucketing down in Kildare now and gone very dark

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Funny how different it can be in a fairly short distance. Many reporting good dry spells nearby today, but I spent the day outside in West Dublin in pretty much continuous drizzle, no break longer than 15-20 minutes. The type of rain you wouldn't necessarily see through a window, a fine mist. Fairly heavy rain now the past half hour.

I'm not one for heatwaves, but it's fairly depressing seeing rain forecast every day for the foreseeable. Hopefully Tuesday is decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭ongarite

Rain accumulations increasing rapidly across the country. Dunsany up to 30mm now and it's been raining heavily for last hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Was a “half decent” morning in that it was very mild and dry. Muggy even no sun. Since early afternoon it’s been rain interspersed with drizzle and torrential downpours. Absolute rubbish to be honest. I get people taking half decent etc but really this month has been an unmitigated disaster. Like others I’m out soon life’s too short to be sitting in looking at the rain. I know people will say wrap up put on a coat bring an umbrella etc but to be honest that takes the good out of it for me. I’ve no interest in walking the beach in a strong breeze and a downpour. I’ll make no apologies for that. Someone said to me recently that I must find the winters hard here-I find the summers hard!!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

45 years of age can’t remember a summer with so much constant rain day after day

Dublin region

I’m sure the chart men will correct me

Post edited by SEPT 23 1989 on

Well, it has turned out as wet as last Saturday, heavy rain on and off all afternoon. The only difference being its not as cool and there is no wind to speak of.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Yes, 2007 with its 33 consecutive raindays in Dublin between June 11th and July 29th would like to have a word.

Well ,if the Azores high nudges in it should settle down for a few days at least. However by Mid August onwards the window for very warm temperatures has diminshed. So if you are after temperatures in the hight twenties to low 30 it's very unlikely. If you are content with fine weather and temperatures in the low 20 then you could be satisfied. As to how likely this is to happen, We need to start seeing jetstream forecasts with it going further north to get us out of this pattern. There are global drivers that suggest this might happen towards Mid August.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭alentejo

This is grim

• Advertisement

This is brutal

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭glitterIsland

I'm feeling the cold go into my bones. I'm too young for this. I'm shopping for leg warmers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Status Yellow - Rain warning for Cavan, Donegal, Monaghan, Dublin, Kildare, Longford, Louth, Meath, Westmeath, Leitrim, Mayo, Roscommon, Sligo

Further spells of heavy rain at times bringing the potential for localised flooding.

Valid: 18:28 Saturday 22/07/2023 to 11:00 Sunday 23/07/2023

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

im too warm here in Galway though it’s that humid uncomfortable heat which accompanies this kind of wet Irish summer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

2012 was every bit as continuously wet ( the autumn and winter was also terrible into 2013 ), as was 2007 summer relentlessly damp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Mad day, I took sunburn walking around Castletown House earlier.

A few hours later localised flooding in Dublin. Felt sorry for the 2 young wans who took off at the lights in Dolphins Barn and their exhaust came off on front of my car. I had to get out in the lashings of rain and kick it to the side of the road as people in traffic lost their ****. I couldn't do anything until it was away from my car. Pandemonium.

The evening has well and truly turned.

GFS has another soggy day tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

No words needed for this evening (or indeed this month) except all of the below.

I'm cold this evening yet again.

Now it's all realtive, cold is having to put on a hoodie inside but still I haven't had to do that this summer indoors, but have had to the last two nights.

It's like autumn in settling in.

• Advertisement

Was that the year that Rihanna song Umbrella came out🤔, whenever that was the summer was brutual and everyone giving out telling radio stations to stop playing the track😄

Advertisement