Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Games Have You Completed? (2023 EDITION!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

1. High on Life [Xbox]
    2. Rayman Origins [Xbox]
    3. Hi-Fi Rush [Xbox]
    4. The Witcher 3 [Xbox]
    5. The Witcher 3: Hearts of Stone {DLC} [Xbox]

Hearts of Stone (DLC)

It was decent I suppose. I didn't like it as much as the main game. It was trickier too especially the named fights or mini bosses.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭da gamer

Call of duty modern warfare II - PS4

Lego the Incredibles - PS4

A plague tale requim - Xbox series s

High on life - Xbox series s

Prodeus - Xbox series s

Goldeneye - Xbox series s

The last of us - PS4

TMNT shredder revenge-Xbox series s

Shadow warrior 3 - Xbox series s

Mafia 2 - PS4

Halo infinite - Xbox series s

The walking dead TFS - Xbox series s

Double dragon 2 - Nes

Prodeus - Xbox series s

The last of us - PS4

Mafia 2 - PS4

Double dragon 2 - Nes

Terminator resistance - PS4

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭TinCanMan

The Last Guardian [PS5] - A game that I both loved and hated. The story and the world that it plays out in are amazing with the sense of scale when outside and traversing upwards providing some exhilarating moments. The bond between the two main characters is a joy to experience and grows throughout the game. Now for the bad. The controls and camera are beyond frustrating at times and can lead to some truly rage inducing moments. In addition some of the puzzles have little logic to them and can be difficult to figure out. That aside the game was a beautiful experience and well worth playing.

Assassins Creed Black Flag [PS5] - What a joy this game is to play. It’s definitely one of the best Assassins Creed games to date and for a game almost 10 years old it still looks beautiful. The story is well written and the protagonist likeable. The ship battles add greatly to the game with some epic battles ensuing but this game is more than just that. I found the player control to be well polished as well. Overall I would thoroughly recommend this game.

Stray [PS5] - This game is visually stunning in a unique setting where you play as a cat with the ultimate aim to escape the world that you are forced into. Along the way you will encounter various puzzles and enemies. Whilst not overly challenging they do add to this unique environment. It’s a beautiful experience, especially if you are looking for something a bit different at a more relaxing pace.

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons [PS5] - I can’t recommend this game enough. It really hits you in the feels. The game itself looks beautiful and has a unique playstyle as you need to control the two brothers simultaneously with the left and right analog sticks. There are various puzzles and enemies to tackle on your adventures. Whilst the game isn’t overly long it’s definitely one that everyone should experience. 

Omno [PS5] - If you need a game to relax to then this is for you. It’s a delightful indie puzzle platformer that reminds me in some ways of the playstation classic Journey. It’s never too challenging but the beautiful world and almost zen-like gameplay is ideal for someone looking for a less stressful game to play. 

Dishonored 2 [PS5] - If you’ve played the first then this is a huge step up both graphically and in terms of gameplay. You get a choice of playing as the main character from the first game or his daughter, both of whom have different skill sets and strengths. You can be guns blazing or super stealthy, the choice is really up to you. I played this stealthily and had a blast causing mayhem from the shadows. For those that haven’t played dishonored 1 or 2 I’d highly recommend giving them a try.

Mafia: Definitive Edition [PS5] - A remake of the first Mafia game. You play as Tommy Angelo, a taxi driver who through chance ends up joining the Salieri crime family and the game follows his rise in the organisation. It's a chapter driven game with varying missions from driving, shooting, assassinations and robbery. It's beautifully played out with real depth to the characters and an engaging story. 

Metro 2033 Redux [PS5] - a moody, atmospheric first person shooter set in the post apocalyptic metro tunnels of Moscow. Not the longest of games and very linear but I highly recommend it. Really enjoyed my playthrough.

Gone Home [PS5] - I played this as I had it free on PS Plus and it was recommended as a hidden gem. It’s basically a walking simulator where you uncover the story of the main character as you explore her home. It’s OK but if I’m honest nothing special.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

1. Yakuza 0 - PlayStation 5
    2. Yakuza 3 - PlayStation 5
    3. The Gardens Between - PlayStation 5
    4. Foreclosed - PlayStation 5
    5. Biomutant - PlayStation 5
    6. Whispering Willows - PlayStation 5
    7. The Quarry - PlayStation 5
    8. Demon Hunter 4: Riddles of Light - PlayStation 5
    9. Victor Vran (Including DLC) - PlayStation 5
    10. Black Mirror - PlayStation 5
    11. Telling Lies - PlayStation 5
    12. The Forgotten City - PlayStation 5
    13. I Am Dead - PlayStation 5
    14. The Medium - PlayStation 5
    15. Last Stop - PlayStation 5
    16. Omno - PlayStation 5
    17. Yakuza 4 - PlayStation 5
    18. Gabbuchi - PlayStation 5
    19. Minecraft Dungeons - PlayStation 5
    20. Deadlight: Directors Cut - PlayStation 5
    21. The Last Day of June - PlayStation 5
    22. Chronos Before The Ashes - PlayStation 5
    23. Star Ocean: First Departure R - PlayStation 5
    24. Sackboy: A Big Adventure - PlayStation 5
    25. Code Vein - PlayStation 5

Code Vein

This is another of the 'easier' Souls like games that I have played to try and inspire myself to actually play one of the proper From Software games and not be worried about the difficulty!

I enjoyed this game a lot. The combat was enjoyable and was only really tough at the start until you level up your weapon and character. You can bring an AI partner with you which helps lower the difficulty a lot which is what makes the game one of the easier ones.

It does have downsides though, the story is utter nonsense and I skipped everything from the midpoint on. Also there are a lot of different items and buffs you can collect throughout the game and I did not use a single one of them. I'd imagine this is something I would need to change when playing a From game. Another issue is parrying, the timing of a parry has a slight delay making it almost useless so I just use dodge for the vast majority of the game.

I'll have to try the Demon Souls remaster at some stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

1. Neon White (PS5)
    2. Dead Cells (PS5)
    3. Superliminal (PS5)
    4. Dead Space (Remake) (PS5)
    5. The Stanley Parable Ultra Deluxe (PS5)
    6. Crash Bandicoot N-Sane Trilogy (PS5)
    7. Like A Dragon: Ishin (PS5)
    8. Resident Evil 4 Remake (PS5)
    9. Horizon Forbidden West - Burning Shores DLC (PS5)
    10. Star Wars: Jedi Survivor (PS5)

Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch)

First ever time playing a Zelda game, and mostly to see what all the damn hype was about, as well as set the stage for playing Tears of the Kingdom in the future.

Overall my opinion would be very positive. They created a fantastic world which never ceases to pull your attention and focus in different directions with something to do. Always something giving off a faint glow in the distance. More often than not, it's a shrine with a puzzle, but oftentimes you can find something completely unique you didn't know was there.

The puzzles are generally fun and well-designed. Most didn't take too long to figure out and there's usually a decent clue in the text that appears at the start or the name of the puzzle. The hardest puzzles at times were ones to even unlock the Shrine (which usually just gave you the reward straight away inside rather than another puzzle). Some of the Korok puzzles in the open map are decent too, though a lot just involve finding a rock to complete a pattern. And the Divine Beasts were interesting and really felt different.

My biggest issues with the game are CCC: Controls, Cooking and Combat. Fairly small issues for the most part, you get used to it. I just mostly found the combat to be fairly dull and that was exacerbated by the controls which, probably 50+ hours of the game later, I still couldn't gel with. After a while I just avoided as much of the combat as I could. Cooking as well was just unnecessarily cumbersome.

I ended up finishing the game earlier than planned as I entered Hyrule Castle and didn't realise it'd be a case of "stay until you finish it or start it again", and when I beat Ganon (after using a waterfall skip to avoid a Lynel fight because I was underprepared for it because I didn't know the Castle was endgame stuff), the game kicked me out to the main menu. I presumed there'd be some sort of post-game stuff you could still do in the open world after, but I guess you need the DLC for that. My only autosave was just before the Ganon fight.

Overall, it's definitely an amazing game, and even with my critiques I enjoyed the absolute hell out of all my time with it. I don't think it'd personally rank among my favourite games of all time. As well-designed and fun as it is, there were too many "Oh just f*ck off" moments because of combat/camera etc, or struggling to make a long arduous climb, pushing your stamina to the limit, slow trek across a snowy terrain, skeletons and wolves and bats and chuchus popping up everywhere.... just to find a small rock and hear that YAHAHA.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

16. Omno - PlayStation 5
    26. 9 Monkeys of Shaolin - PlayStation 5
    27. Redeemer - PlayStation 5

I played two short games recently as they are both leaving PS Extra next week - 9 Monkeys of Shaolin and Redeemer. Neither game does anything new or interesting and both are fairly easy but they were worth a short playthrough. Easy platinum trophy in 9 Monkeys too if that's your thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

1. Neon White (PS5)
    2. Dead Cells (PS5)
    3. Superliminal (PS5)
    4. Dead Space (Remake) (PS5)
    5. The Stanley Parable Ultra Deluxe (PS5)
    6. Crash Bandicoot N-Sane Trilogy (PS5)
    7. Like A Dragon: Ishin (PS5)
    8. Resident Evil 4 Remake (PS5)
    9. Horizon Forbidden West - Burning Shores DLC (PS5)
    10. Star Wars: Jedi Survivor (PS5)
    11. Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild (Switch)

Humanity (PS5)

A very well-designed little puzzle game, where you play a dog and have to lead throngs of people to gates, mostly by placing commands on the floor as they just walk in a long line like Lemmings. Sounds simple enough, but can start to get very tricky later on.

Level design is great. Many will be fairly straightforward, especially when it's teaching you new abilities. Some can get very complicated very quickly where it can throw something unexpected at you, or you know the answer but actually implementing it with the right pathing can be tricky. But most levels felt unique and with their own wrinkles to keep things interesting. The main challenge in the game isn't just leading the people to the exit, but there are special large gold people (1-3 per level) you have to collect by leading people to them and get them to come to the exit with the people. These guys can be in fairly awkward places, and getting them all (you have to get about 2/3 of them in each chapter of the game to unlock the final level of that chapter) again just adds another fun challenge to the game. The game also keeps changing things up with each chapter by focusing on different new abilities or new environmental dangers. The first two chapters or so you might feel like you're getting the run of the game, but then it'll keep evolving to freshen things up.

Two of the best things about the game is that there's no real penalty for just letting people walk straight off a cliff or into danger like Lemmings. You mostly get an infinite stream of people in most levels and just have to craft a path for them. The other great thing is if you need to restart a level, you can choose to keep all the commands you've already placed. This ensures you're not constantly having to re-place all your commands up to the point where you're having trouble or actually need to change something, which would be really frustrating given how complicated the commands in some levels can be.

I was skeptical pre-release about performance just because of the amount of people on-screen (very low-res people in fairness), especially when they can be crossing over each other, being thrown all over the screen etc, but I don't think a single frame dropped in my entire playthrough. It's absolutely rock-solid throughout, even when using the fast-forward command to speed everyone up. The art style itself is terrific.

It's a lot of fun, one of those games where you can get stuck on one puzzle for a while, quit playing, and hours later you'll think of the answer while loading the dishwasher and get it first time when you go back.

Free on one of the PS+ tiers, so well worth picking up if you can.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

1. Sonic Frontiers (PC)
    2. Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! (NES)
    3. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (NES)
    4. Aladdin (SNES)
    5. Crash Bandicoot 2 (PC)
    6. Crash Bandicoot 3 Warped (PC)
    7. Deus Ex: Invisible War (PC)
    8. The Legend of Heroes: Trails from Zero (PC)
    9. Thief: Deadly Shadows (PC)
    10. The Firemen (SNES)
    11. Omaze (Playdate)
    12. Deception 4: Nightmare Princess (PS4)
    13. Deception 4: Nightmare Princess - Rachel Pack DLC (PS4)
    14. Battletoads (NES)
    15. Contra (MSX2)
    16. Super Mario Run (Android)
    17. Star Sled (Playdate)
    18. Run Saber (SNES)

Firstly feck you Zelda TotK. It's been ages since I beat anything

Run Saber

Run Saber on release got average reviews and was dismissed as a Strider clone. To be fair, a Strider clone is right on the money but I think this game does enough to make it worthwhile. The game was developed by Atlus and released in 1993.

There's some weird story here about earth being polluted and a scientist coming up with a virus to solve the issue but instead creating an army of mutants and ruling over them. None of this matters but what does matter is that you get to play as two cyborgs (male or female) and kick ass through 5 stages of mutant killing mayhem. The game hues very close to strider with both character having an energy sword that operates just like Strider's. The male cyborg has slightly more reach while the female has a wider hit box. You can crawl along walls and ceilings making for a very versatile move set. You can also engage a screw attack type move by pressing up while jumping or press down while descending to use a drop kick. With so many movement and attack options the cyborgs are fun to control.

Each of the five stages are varied with plenty of enemy types and a very generous selection of mini bosses and bosses to take on. They really go for the spectacle here with many employing transparency and mode 7 effects. The first stage ends with a fight against a mutant possessing a F16 fighter jet as if barrels and rotates in the air. The sprite and background design is excellent and suitably creepy, just what you would expect from the same company that makes the Shin Megami Tensei games. The music while great is a bit too upbeat.

While you could argue Run Saber is a poor man's Strider, there is one area where it has it well beat. Run Saber features an excellent co-op 2 player mode. While Run Saber isn't quite up there with the masterpieces of 16 bit action games like Rocket Knight Adventures, Contra Hard Corp or Revenge of Shinobi, it's still a damn fun, if short and easy, game to play. The 2 player mode also adds replayability as you'll return to it when you've friends over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Games Beaten 2023

1. Metroid: Samus Returns (3DS)

2. Yakuza 5 (PS4)

3. Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales (PS4)

4. Nano Assault Ex (3DS)

5. Pokemon X (3DS)

6. Burnout Revenge (360)

7. Dragon Quest 7 (3DS)

8. Tetris Effect: Connected (PS4)

9. Pokemon Scarlet (Switch)

10. HarmoKnight (3DS)

11. Weapon Shop de Omasse (3DS)

12. Pokemon Yellow (3DS)

13. Pocket Card Jockey (3DS)

14. Liberation Maiden (3DS)

15. Super Monkey Ball 3D (3DS)

16. Soul Blade (PS1)

17. Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (Switch)

Precious little to add that hasn't already exhausted column inches over the last month, but, on a personal level, haven't really been this absorbed, inspired or excited by a game since maybe The Binding of Isaac. Its absence is going to be felt but it was time to step off the ride.

• Advertisement

16. Omno - PlayStation 5
    28. Lake - PlayStation 5

Lake

This is the definition of easy going, even the narrative is easy going. The game's narrative is about a woman who returns to the small town where she used to live and takes over her fathers mail route for two weeks, meeting old and new acquaintances along the way. Gameplay consists of delivering letters and parcels and choosing dialogue options as you meet different people. There's nothing exciting here but it's an easy going relaxing game.

Prodeus - Xbox series s

The last of us - PS4

Mafia 2 - PS4

Double dragon 2 - Nes

Terminator resistance - PS4

Dusk - Switch

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

1. God of war: Ragnarok -PS5
    2. Signalis -Xbox Series X
    3. The Callisto Protocol - PS5
    4. FF7 Crisis core reunion -PS5
    5. Fire Emblem: Engage - Switch
    6. Hogwarts Legacy - PS5
    7. Resident evil 4: Remake -PS5
    8. Star Wars : Jedi Survivor-PS5

Star Wars : Jedi Survivor

Great game was a fan of Fallen order despite its flaws. This improves on the original and doesn't downgrade cal if anything its just him getting stronger. Was a bit disappointed with some of the bugs , the bounties one annoyed me a bit did most of the side stuff might go back and finish the force tears and a few other bits but I say I did the majority of the game. The combat is improved a lot aswell feel like the parrying is a bit better now but again no sekiro.

Nearly finished Chained echoes which honestly is one of the best rpgs I have played in ages, can't believe it was made by such a small team also.

I am currently divided whether to start Tears of the Kingdom or Final fantasy 16.

16. Omno - PlayStation 5
    28. Lake - PlayStation 5
    29. Paradise Killer - PlayStation 5

Paradise Killer

This was another game I had never heard of until it was mentioned by someone on this forum. I like detective games so decided to give it a go but I have to admit that I was largely disappointed.

The game is almost entirely a collectathon, there are collectibles littered EVERYWHERE which just distracts from the main narrative. The main gameplay itself is not that interesting either, you slowly unravel a conspiracy by wandering around an island talking to different characters and finding evidence. This should be fun but it's mostly just going back and forth between different characters while collecting a mountain of things along the way. Exploring the island is fun and I like the aesthetic of the game but the collectibles are just too distracting for someone like me.

The most interesting part of the game by far is the trial section at the end where you get to accuse various suspects using the evidence you have collected but the build up to this point is arguably not worth it.

I see there's a sequel to this game, hopefully they have cut down on the collectibles and focused more on the plot. I'll check it out but only if it comes to PS premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

GTA III: The Definitive Edition || PlayStation 5

(NEVER MIND THE FITST FEW PARAGRAPHS - I MISSED A PAYPHONE MISSION. I GOT 100% AND MY PLATINUM TROPHY) I'm ashamed of myself. GTA 3 is my second favourite game of all time. I've beaten it so many times since 2001. Gotten 100% numerous times. Got the platinum trophy for the PS2 version on PS4 and every achievement on the Definitive Edition on Xbox One.

I fecked up. I missed a missable mission and got locked out of 100% completion 😭 I've never made that mistake before so obviously I was rushing through it lol

Beat the game with 94% complete, 72/73 missions complete.

I can easily go back and do it all again but not for at least a year, thank you very much 😂

Not a massive deal, but seeing that I'm one trophy away from a Platinum is gonna kill me on the inside.

I've nothing to say on the game as a whole that I haven't said already. It's practically comfort food for me to the point where I never watch the cutscenes anymore. I just play podcasts/music on Spotify as I play through it. Might tackle San Andreas next.

Man it's been half a year and I've only beaten 2 games. Definitely my worst in a long, long time. Just not been much of a completionist lately. I'd say once I get my own place again and sort everything out outside of gaming, I'll be back to normal.

Rghy, I'll be back again around Halloween with another game beaten 😂

Post edited by Gamer Bhoy 89 on

6. Hogwarts Legacy - PS5
    9. Chained Echoes -Steam Deck

Chained Echoes

A fantastic throwback to 16 bit JRPG, but with updated controls and QOL improvements no real grinding needed here you only level up defeating bosses. The music was also fantastic clocked in around fifty hours on it thoroughly enjoyed it on the steam deck. Heavy plot spoilers below

One thing though the whole ending of the story was a bit silly how one of the big bads becomes the main character at the end was a bit nonsensical.Other than that I liked the idea of past lives etc.

Started Final Fantasy 16 it won out over Zelda TOTK as I felt I would finish FF sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

Just started this year with Mafia2 DE, hadn't a clue what to expect - the most recent modern game I'd played was COD 2 on PC possibly 17 years ago. Started off being disappointed with all the cut scenes and how story driven it was, until I got into it, and the voice acting blew me away and I pretty much fell in love with it.

1. High on Life [Xbox]
    2. Rayman Origins [Xbox]
    3. Hi-Fi Rush [Xbox]
    4. The Witcher 3 [Xbox]
    5. The Witcher 3: Hearts of Stone {DLC} [Xbox]
    6. Supraland Six Inches Under [Xbox]

Supraland Six Inches Under

Great game lives up to the expectations of the first. I actually finished the game a while ago but there was a bug that stopped people on Xbox and PS getting achievements which was fixed with an update today. As I said I finished the game a while ago but there is a tonne of end game content which I slowly got through. I have all chests but one and all trophies. I have no idea where the last chest is so I will have to run around the whole game world listening to the chest detector to see where it is.

Overall a great game and these Supraland games are up there with my all time favourite games.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭TinCanMan

The Last Guardian [PS5] - A game that I both loved and hated. The story and the world that it plays out in are amazing with the sense of scale when outside and traversing upwards providing some exhilarating moments. The bond between the two main characters is a joy to experience and grows throughout the game. Now for the bad. The controls and camera are beyond frustrating at times and can lead to some truly rage inducing moments. In addition some of the puzzles have little logic to them and can be difficult to figure out. That aside the game was a beautiful experience and well worth playing.

Assassins Creed Black Flag [PS5] - What a joy this game is to play. It’s definitely one of the best Assassins Creed games to date and for a game almost 10 years old it still looks beautiful. The story is well written and the protagonist likeable. The ship battles add greatly to the game with some epic battles ensuing but this game is more than just that. I found the player control to be well polished as well. Overall I would thoroughly recommend this game.

Stray [PS5] - This game is visually stunning in a unique setting where you play as a cat with the ultimate aim to escape the world that you are forced into. Along the way you will encounter various puzzles and enemies. Whilst not overly challenging they do add to this unique environment. It’s a beautiful experience, especially if you are looking for something a bit different at a more relaxing pace. 

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons [PS5] - I can’t recommend this game enough. It really hits you in the feels. The game itself looks beautiful and has a unique playstyle as you need to control the two brothers simultaneously with the left and right analog sticks. There are various puzzles and enemies to tackle on your adventures. Whilst the game isn’t overly long it’s definitely one that everyone should experience. 

Omno [PS5] - If you need a game to relax to then this is for you. It’s a delightful indie puzzle platformer that reminds me in some ways of the playstation classic Journey. It’s never too challenging but the beautiful world and almost zen-like gameplay is ideal for someone looking for a less stressful game to play. 

Dishonored 2 [PS5] - If you’ve played the first then this is a huge step up both graphically and in terms of gameplay. You get a choice of playing as the main character from the first game or his daughter, both of whom have different skill sets and strengths. You can be guns blazing or super stealthy, the choice is really up to you. I played this stealthily and had a blast causing mayhem from the shadows. For those that haven’t played dishonored 1 or 2 I’d highly recommend giving them a try.

Mafia: Definitive Edition [PS5] - A remake of the first Mafia game. You play as Tommy Angelo, a taxi driver who through chance ends up joining the Salieri crime family and the game follows his rise in the organisation. It's a chapter driven game with varying missions from driving, shooting, assassinations and robbery. It's beautifully played out with real depth to the characters and an engaging story. 

Metro 2033 Redux [PS5] - a moody, atmospheric first person shooter set in the post apocalyptic metro tunnels of Moscow. Not the longest of games and very linear but I highly recommend it. Really enjoyed my playthrough.

Gone Home [PS5] - I played this as I had it free on PS Plus and it was recommended as a hidden gem. It’s basically a walking simulator where you uncover the story of the main character as you explore her home. It’s ok but if I’m honest nothing special.

ABZU [PS5] - I would describe this as more of an experience than a game. Set in a beautiful underwater environment you dive into the depths exploring and solving some light puzzles on the way. It’s a beautiful meditative experience where you can chill for a few hours.

1. High on Life [Xbox]
    2. Rayman Origins [Xbox]
    3. Hi-Fi Rush [Xbox]
    4. The Witcher 3 [Xbox]
    7. Rayman Legends [Xbox]

Rayman Legends

Good game some tricky parts near the end but manageable.

• Advertisement

1. High on Life [Xbox]
    2. Rayman Origins [Xbox]
    3. Hi-Fi Rush [Xbox]
    4. The Witcher 3 [Xbox]
    7. Rayman Legends [Xbox]
    8. Inside [Xbox]

Inside

I actually started this game a long time ago and decided to finish it this evening. Didn't take too long as I was a decent way into it. Wasn't too difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Rayman Legends and Inside are two of my favourite games. Rayman Legends is so much more innovative then the recent Super Mario 2D games (the "New" Super Mario Games). And Inside is stands alone as a piece of gaming art. I think the Rayman Legends team is doing the new Prince of Persia 2D game; but it'd be interesting to see what the creators of Inside do next.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

1. God of War: Ragnarok
    2. Hitman World of Assassination
    3. Ni No Kuni 2
    4. Tunic
    5. Dredge
    6. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom: I said Elden Ring was the greatest adventure game ever but it's already been toppled. The new powers are brilliant and it's an improvement on BOTW in every department.
    7. Final Fantasy XVI: The main scenario, combat and Eikon fights are all good but everything else lets it down. The story gets increasingly obtuse and ridiculous as it goes along. I would have much preferred it stayed in "Game of Thrones with Summons" territory without introducing the main antagonist at all. The majority of the side quests are poor (they do get better later on) The crafting system is half-baked, should have been excluded altogether (For example, You do three quests to craft this "epic" sword "Ragnarok" using three tools from different parts of the world....and then a few hours later you can just buy another sword "Defender" from the old hag in the shop that's even better than Ragnarok after upgrading it making your quest completely pointless). This game has possibly the worst loot/treasure ever in any RPG. Finding a chest in a FF game usually brings a sense of excitement, maybe a new weapon or accessory but 99% of them here just give you 10 beast skins or some other crafting material that you have no use for. It feels like the A team designed the main story and combat and they had their interns or whoever try to sticky tape some RPG onto it. The game seems totally designed towards just going straight through the main questline. I would recommend playing through the main story but only doing the side quests with the plus symbol and those before you fight the last boss. Those expecting a traditional RPG are going to be disappointed here (I highly recommend Chained Echoes for that) but it's still a very enjoyable action game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

1. Sonic Frontiers (PC)
    2. Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! (NES)
    3. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (NES)
    4. Aladdin (SNES)
    5. Crash Bandicoot 2 (PC)
    6. Crash Bandicoot 3 Warped (PC)
    7. Deus Ex: Invisible War (PC)
    8. The Legend of Heroes: Trails from Zero (PC)
    9. Thief: Deadly Shadows (PC)
    10. The Firemen (SNES)
    11. Omaze (Playdate)
    12. Deception 4: Nightmare Princess (PS4)
    13. Deception 4: Nightmare Princess - Rachel Pack DLC (PS4)
    14. Battletoads (NES)
    15. Contra (MSX2)
    16. Super Mario Run (Android)
    17. Star Sled (Playdate)
    18. Run Saber (SNES)
    19. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

Not a whole lot to say about this game that hasn't already been said. I really did not expect to enjoy this game as I ultimately did. I put 155 hours in at the end and never once felt open world burn out.

I was most concerned by the reuse of the original games open world but honestly so much has changed and enough time had past that it felt new. Even areas I recognised it was fun to see how the game had changed them.

Breath of the Wild while hands and shoulders above every other open world game wasn't the perfect game but totk manages to add so much and address those issues. The new abilities are excellent and open up so many new options for players. The weapon fusion means the non issue of weapon degradation is addressed for everyone and also mean you are never really without a good weapon or tool for each situation. The caves, sky and underworld are all universally excellent. I also really enjoyed the addition of proper side quests. There's a few time waster ones there but the majority are well worth doing.

Nintendo have managed to make the world feel even more alive and inhabited by characters with lives and personality.

The cherry on top is the spectacular end sequence.

I honestly didn't think anything would top punch out for me this year but this came very close.

6. Hogwarts Legacy - PS5
    9. Chained Echoes -Steam Deck
    10. Dredge - Steam Deck

Dredge

Fantastic little gem I was able to play this at pax aus last year. Not too long either the fishing mechanic is addictive and the plot wasn't bad either really glad that I picked it up.

I thought the art style was fantastic too.

Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow || PlayStation 5

Forgot to post this - I beat it last week.

I never dabbled in the GBA CV titles. This was my first time jumping into one. I got the Advance Collection on PlayStation and decided to try out Aria. I went in without much expectations, but I came away really surprised by how much I enjoyed it. It's probably my 2nd favourite Castlevania title behind Symphony.

Class game.

It's by far the best one of GBA. The first DS game is a direct continuation from it, it's fantastic although not quite aria of sorrow levels. Hope there's a remake of the DS games although some had touch screen controls (portrait of ruin had an optional post game character that was just touch screen controlled) so might make them hard to port.

I'm assuming you can't buy those DS games digitally anymore? I think the eShop is completely gone

I might be wrong but last time it was available was on the wiiu store?

• Advertisement

Ah I left my Wii U in Ireland. I have an R4 at least

Advertisement